A man has admitted assaulting two women and possessing a knuckleduster in Harrogate.
Adam Smith, 40, pleaded guilty to the charges at Harrogate Magistrates Court yesterday.
Smith, of Bunting Drive, Tockwith assaulted a named woman and a female police officer on The Ginnel on April 15 this year.
He also admitted having a knuckleduster in Manahatta, which is also on The Ginnel.
Magistrates gave Smith a community order, which required him to abstain from alcohol for 120 days and carry out 80 hours of unpaid work.
He was also fined £349.
Court documents said the defendant’s guilty plea was taken into account when imposing sentence.
Read more:
- Bulgarian martial arts experts jailed for dealing cocaine in Harrogate
- Brew Bar owner opens new Harrogate coffee shop
Harrogate woman jailed for 10 weeks
A woman from Harrogate has been jailed for 10 weeks for failing to comply with a community order.
Claire Read, 28, of Fairfax Avenue, admitted the offence when she appeared at Harrogate Magistrates Court on Friday.
Read received a suspended sentence, which included a community order, on September 23 last year.
As part of this, she was required to attend an appointment on February 15 but failed to do so.
Court documents say Read was jailed for ‘wilful and persistent failure to comply with the requirements of a community order’.
The documents added her guilty plea was taken into account when the sentence was imposed.
Read more:
- Ripon man jailed for assaulting woman while on bail
- Knaresborough man jailed for ‘flagrant disregard for court orders’
Former headteacher given community order for child abuse images
A former Harrogate headteacherhas been spared jail after he was found guilty of making over 3,000 indecent images of children.
Matthew Shillito, 43, repeatedly visited a Russian website where he viewed sexual images of children, York Magistrates’ Court heard.
Shillito, who was appointed headteacher at Western Primary School in 2019, was arrested after police searched his home in January 2020 and seized a Dell laptop and Macbook Pro, on which they found thousands of sexual images of under-age girls.
On Friday, district judge Adrian Lower told Shillito his teaching career was now “in ruins” as he handed him an 18-month community order with 200 hours of unpaid work.
Shillito was also placed on the disbarring lists preventing him from working with children ever again.
Shillito was convicted of the offences last month following a trial at the magistrates’ court. He had denied making 20 Category B images and 3,829 Category C images between September 2007 and December 2015, claiming the illegal images inadvertently found their way onto his devices while he was looking at other photographs online.
But judge Mr Lower found him guilty of both counts and said the evidence against the disgraced former teacher was “incontrovertible and inescapable”.
‘Repeat viewing’
Shillito – who was previously headteacher across the Goldsborough Sicklinghall Federation of schools – had claimed that he was searching for holiday snaps because he had an interest in photography.
He also said he visited several websites for educational purposes because he was “dissatisfied in the way sex education was being taught at school”.
But prosecutor Philip Morris said that Shillito – who was understood to be in a relationship until shortly before his arrest – had visited some of these websites “30 or 40 times”. One of these websites was called ‘Pre-Teen Love’.
He added:
“It is deliberate and intentional, repeat viewing of (indecent) images and (web) pages.”
There was evidence of Shillito viewing the illicit images in 2011 and then again in 2015 when further images and “albums” with titles such as ‘Girls Line Up’ and ‘Girls Love Girls’ were found.
He had used search terms such as ‘Lolita’ while trawling the web for the illicit material, said Mr Morris.
‘Previous good character’
After being arrested in January 2020, Shillito was immediately suspended from his teaching post and subsequently dismissed.
Kevin Blount, mitigating, said that Shillito had since “re-trained in another role” following the collapse of his teaching career.
He added:
“Clearly these are matters that are going to live with him for the rest of his life.”
Judge Mr Lower told Shillito:
“I know you are a man of [previous] good character. You have worked in the teaching profession for a number of years, achieving the rank of being a headmaster and I’ve no reason to [doubt] that you did all that was expected of you in the course of your employment.”
He added, however, that Shillito’s “disgrace is complete” following the discovery of the sordid images.
He said Shillito had a “corrosive, addictive interest” in viewing indecent images of children, adding:
“You will realise… that you are never going to work in the teaching profession again, a profession to which… you gave your all.
“This kind of behaviour is serious and the law-abiding public… would expect me to send a strong message to people like you, that if you are guilty of this behaviour you are going to be punished for it and you can have no complaint about that.”
Imposing the 18-month community order, Mr Lower told Shillito:
“The very fact that you have been found guilty and the consequences that follow from that is probably more punishment to you than anything else [in terms of sentence] I can propose.”
Read more:
- Ex-Harrogate headteacher found guilty of making indecent images of children
- Former Harrogate headteacher ‘repeatedly accessed’ website with indecent images, court hears
As well as unpaid work hours, Shillito will also have to complete 24 days’ rehabilitation activity. He was placed on the sex-offenders’ register for five years and made subject to a five-year sexual-harm prevention order to curb his internet activities and allow police to monitor his online use.
He was also ordered to pay £600 prosecution costs and a £60 victim surcharge.
None of the offences related to Shillito’s employment at any of the schools where he worked.
Detective Constable Andy Lowes, of North Yorkshire Police’s Online Abuse and Exploitation Team, said:
“North Yorkshire Police is committed to preventing child sexual abuse, helping victims and bringing offenders to justice.
“Those who obtain and distribute child-abuse material directly contribute to the sexual exploitation of children. This is because the children involved are continually re-victimised every time the images are viewed.”