A Ripon councillor who voted in favour of the city’s new swimming pool and leisure centre refurbishment, is now supporting calls for an independent investigation into the scheme.
Sid Hawke was one of eight councillors on Harrogate Borough Council’s planning committee that approved an application two years ago for a new six-lane pool to be built alongside the existing leisure centre, which would be refurbished.
But following fresh concerns about sinkholes, Cllr Hawke, an independent who represents Ripon Ure Bank on Harrogate Borough Council, told the Stray Ferret:
“If I knew then, what I know now, I would have definitely voted against it.
“I’ve wanted a new swimming pool for Ripon for years, but the public interest must come first.
“I fully support an independent investigation looking into safety issues, so we can get them all sorted out.”
Also on the planning committee, which met on June 25, 2019, was Pat Marsh, the Liberal Democrat leader on Harrogate Borough Council, who was one of three councillors to abstain. Conservative councillor Nigel Simms voted against, because of misgivings about the suitability of the site two years ago.
Last week Cllr Marsh called for an independent investigation into the multi-million pound development at Camp Close, off Dallamires Lane.
Her comments followed safety concerns raised in a report by the multi-national consultancy Stantec, which were amplified by Dr Alan Thompson, a leading authority on the gypsum and sinkhole issues affecting all types of development in the Ripon area.

Cllr Pat Marsh
Cllr Marsh’s call came in the wake of the Stray Ferret’s exclusive story about safety concerns that came to light after Stantec’s inspection of a cavity discovered close to the leisure centre entrance in September.
The cavity, in the area where the new pool is due to be attached to the existing leisure centre, is in close proximity to a sinkhole that opened up on the centre car park.
That sinkhole arose 16 months before the planning meeting where the new pool was voted through.
Cllr Marsh, said:
“I’m pleased that Cllr Hawke supports my call for an investigation and I hope that other Ripon councillors will follow suite.
“The people of Ripon deserve a new pool — but there have been long-term ground stability issues in this area, as I know from the time when the leisure centre was being built.
“With this in mind, I couldn’t vote for further development at Camp Close as I thought that other site options should have been considered.
“We will see what the investigation commissioned by Harrogate Borough Council says about the cavity and then press for an independent safety investigation.”
A spokesperson for Harrogate Borough Council said last week:
“The multi-million pound investment project at Ripon Leisure Centre shows our commitment to providing modern, fit-for-purpose leisure facilities for the people of Ripon.
“Given the well-known ground conditions in Ripon, we employed qualified and experienced geologists and geo-technic engineers to carry out necessary investigation works and advise on what would be required to provide this much needed facility.
“A total of 441 grouting sites received 3,043 tonnes of grout which, along with the casting of a reinforced concrete slab, provides the foundation for the new swimming pool building.
“The void which is underneath the existing leisure centre is understood to have been present a number of years. This was only discovered as a result of the work to prepare the new swimming pool site.
Read more:
- Portrait of Olympic hero Jack is inspiring Ripon students
- Ripon hornblowers return to round of applause
“It is now being investigated and should any remedial work be required then it will be carried out.
“We are committed to providing this much-needed facility that will encourage a healthier and more active lifestyle for our residents and something they can be proud of.”
Ripon Leisure Centre history – grounds for concern
This timeline sets out the key events from before plans for Ripon’s new swimming pool and leisure centre refurbishment were approved, to the present day.
Concerns about ground stability on the Camp Close site were highlighted before Harrogate Borough Council’s planning committee approved the council’s own planning application on 25 June 2019.
- February 2018: A sinkhole opens up on the leisure centre car park
- June 2019: The planning application for new swimming pool and leisure centre refurbishment is approved
- June 2019: Local press reports that some councillors at the planning meeting had expressed ‘deep concerns’ about Camp Close site and hadn’t supported the application
- June 2019: Dr Alan Thompson sends email to HBC principal planning officer Gill Ritchie claiming that when the application was approved, ground stability issues were ignored and the council ignored its own planning policy
- November 2019 principal contractor Willmott Dixon (WD) starts on site, after being awarded a £10.2million contract for delivery of the scheme over 17 months
- September 2020 WD discovers a ‘void’ while digging foundations at the entrance of the leisure centre
- September 2020 construction and property consultancy Stantec inspects the void and meets on site with WD and property infrastructure and construction company Pick Everard to discuss possible mitigation measures
- October 2020: Stantec produces a detailed cavity inspection report for WD and HBC, which raises concerns about the load-bearing capacity of piles under the existing leisure centre and flags up wider ground stability issues affecting the site
- October 2020: The report says that the ‘void’ discovered by WD should, in the short term, be backfilled with gravel, regularly monitored and topped up
- The Stantec report states: “The risk of the ground collapse further impacting on the existing building can’t be overlooked” and “further detailed investigations are required to evaluate the stability of the existing building”
- November 2020: HBC issues press release saying that the project had been ‘slightly delayed’
- May 2021: HBC cabinet approves additional spending of £110,000 for investigation of the void
- May 2021: Michael Constantine, the council’s head of culture, tourism and sport, answers questions from councillors and gives assurances about the site
- June 2021: A Freedom of Information request is submitted to HBC for the engineering reports on the Camp Close site, by chartered civil engineer and local campaigner Stanley Mackintosh
- July 2021: Mr Mackintosh receives a redacted copy of the Stantec report from HBC and supplies it to Dr Thompson
- July 2021: Dr Thompson sends letter by email to all HBC cabinet members, with his observations on the report and raises new concerns from a geological perspective.