Stray bonfire organisers appeal for more donations

The organisers of the 50th anniversary charity bonfire and fireworks on the Stray have appealed for more donations to ensure a successful event in nine days time.

An online gofundme page set up by Harrogate and District Round Table has so far attracted £1,220 in donations towards a goal of £8,000 with just over a week to go until the event on Saturday, November 6.

There will be a bucket fundraising collection on the night and people will be encouraged to text to donate £5. But with the current total being so short of the goal, the organisers have appealed for a flurry of online donations over the next week.

The event is organised by volunteers, who try to keep costs low but they have to spend money on fireworks, transportation of pallets and road traffic management.


Read more:


The £8,000 figure is how much the event costs to put on, and the Round Table always donates any profits to charity. This year’s charity is the Friends of Harrogate Hospital.

John Carter, who is in charge of organising the bonfire for the Round Table this year, told the Stray Ferret:

“We are going to put on a big bonfire and fireworks display. We hope people will enjoy the event after a pretty miserable 18 months.

“There is the online fundraiser but we will have lots of bucket shaking on the night as well as the text to donate. It is the first time we have done the online fundraiser.

“Over the years the amount we have raised on the night has dwindled as people don’t tend to carry cash so we are encouraging donations in other ways.”

£7,000 raised so Ripon boy with rare cancer can enjoy outdoor space

Family and friends of a 13-year-old Ripon boy are trying to raise funds to create a safe space outdoors for him to enjoy with friends.

William Riddler was diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma, a very rare and aggressive type of cancer, in March 2021.

Due to infection risks, William cannot socialise with his loved ones indoors so instead they want transform his front garden into a paved area. They have plans for a wooden shelter, jacuzzi and television.

Family friend, Sarah Bostock, has known the family for 20 years. She set up the just giving page 10 days ago after William’s condition worsened in hopes they can complete the works sooner.

It has already raised more than £7,400, but the target is for £10,000.

William first discovered a lump on his calf. Investigations found the cancer had spread to his eye bones, pelvis, spine, thighs, knee, ribs and sternum and possibly other areas of his body.

The Outwood Academy student is currently undergoing four different types of chemotherapy at Leeds General Infirmary.

Ms Bostock says she is praying William will be in the small percentage of patients that fight this nasty disease.

She said:

“I work full time so I couldn’t help in other ways but I still wanted to contribute. He loves the water so the jacuzzi was his idea. William is great, he’s cheeky and always playing jokes on people. I can’t believe how the community has come together to support the family.

She [William’s mum Louise Riddler] deserves this, she’s always helping other people and now people can see that she needs help too.”

William Riddler

William getting comfy on some of the garden furniture donated by Morrisons in Ripon.

The family is hoping to have the space ready by the summer so William has somewhere to go with friends after treatment.

Ms Bostock is keen to keep fundraising and reach the £10,000 target. She said Mrs Riddler has been “overwhelmed” with the support for her son.


Read more:


Ms Bostock added:

“The family is staying positive because William is so positive so it’s helping them.”

Donations have come in from businesses and people local to the family in Ripon. Others have pledged to shave their heads all in aid of William’s outdoor space.

To support the fundraising, click here.

Harrogate mother crowdfunds £10,000 for breast reduction

A Harrogate mother has crowdfunded money for breast reduction surgery after “suffering for years”.

Kelly Michaud only set up set a gofundme page five days ago and has since raised over £10,000.

Her aim was to raise the sum for private surgery but, after surpassing her target, she wants to use the extra cash to help campaign for breast reduction surgery to be more accessible.

Kelly’s fundraising page has gathered so much attention she has started working with an agency to handle all the media requests.

Ms Michaud, 26, only weighs 10 stone but has size 34H breasts, which have caused back and shoulder pain. Her bra has caused sores around her breasts.

She has received unwanted attention from a young age and had to change several outfits to avoid “showing them off”.

After years of being refused surgery on the NHS, and losing almost two stone in an effort to reduce the size of her breasts, she decided as a last resort to go private.

Kelly Michaud

Ms Michaud says she can’t wait to have the operation, adding “It is going to have a huge impact on my life”.

She said she has been “blown away” by the response, not only by the amount raised but also by the number of women who have come forward with similar stories.

She said:

“I didn’t expect this, I didn’t think I would raise anything. It’s also helped to raise awareness for others, I want to help other women. I don’t think people understand the impact.”


Read more:


Ms Michaud hopes to reduce to a DD cup size but has yet to have a consultation. She says the reduction would change her life in so many ways and allow her to play with her children without feeling pain.

She added:

“I have also set up a petition to campaign for breast reductions to be more accessible.

“I understand getting it fully on the NHS might not work but even just some financial support to cover it would help lots of women.”