North Yorks Police: Sex crime charge rates ‘could and should be better’North Yorkshire’s poor broadband making it harder to support domestic abuse victims

Poor broadband and mobile coverage in parts of North Yorkshire is making it more difficult to tackle domestic abuse, according to a charity.

IDAS has offices in Harrogate and Skipton and is the largest specialist charity in Yorkshire supporting people affected by domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Olivia King and Kerry Rose from IDAS gave a presentation to councillors at a meeting of Skipton and Ripon area constituency committee last Thursday where they gave details about the services it provides, including safe accommodation, one-to-one support for survivors and a confidential helpline.

The charity received 25,000 calls to their helpline last year which is a figure they said is increasing every year.

But reaching people is made more difficult due to poor broadband or mobile phone connections in the Dales and other rural parts of North Yorkshire.

Ms Rose said: 

“It’s something rural communities really struggle with. We’re saying to people, if you’re in trouble, call the police, and they’re saying to us, we can’t because we’ve got no service and the broadband is rubbish — what can I do?

“So we have to be quite creative in trying to keep them safe when they can’t even call the police. That becomes a worry.”

Ms King said the issue of poor broadband is one that older clients struggle with in particular.

She said: 

“Some of these people have additional needs such as dementia which prevents them from accessing the internet, or they just don’t want to. They like their phone and they don’t have internet access because they don’t want it.

“That does make it more difficult in those further out communities where there are worse transport links. Some people have nothing for miles. Signal and broadband is one of the main things that crops up as feedback from survivors.”

North Yorkshire Council is aiming to complete the fourth phase of its Superfast Broadband programme by March next year, with 200,000 premises, many of which in rural areas, benefitting from vastly improved internet connections since the project was launched in 2012.

The IDAS helpline is 0300 0110 110.


Read more:


 

Gay man says Harrogate police take women victims of stalking more seriously

A man who was stalked and harassed by his former partner has accused police of failing to take the case seriously because he was a gay man. 

Jack* and his partner of five years, Paul*, who both live in Harrogate, broke up in early 2021.  

Although the split was instigated by his partner, and was initially amicable, Jack said Paul soon began to turn up at his house and at places he would usually visit. 

Jack said: 

“Though there was no physical altercation, he often targeted my home. He tried to gain entry and would often appear in the garden – on one occasion my dog was nearly killed.

“He’d shout at people visiting my home from his car, monitor my friends and families activities. He used to set up dating profiles attempting to send abuse. There were occasions where he used my credit card details for online purchases, turned up at my place of work, approach me in restaurants…

“There were numerous situations like that over the course of five months. He started locating me and rev his car next to me if I was out walking.

“It meant I couldn’t operate a normal life without some kind of obstruction and feeling very unsafe and frightened.”

Eventually, after realising how much Paul’s actions were affecting his social and work life, Jack decided to contact the police last June. 

He was initially uncertain whether the situation was something the police would deal with, but was reassured by the call handler. 

“Immediately, they said it was stalking and harassment. They said they would send someone out, and he called later that day to organise a visit. He came to take a statement within a couple of days. 

“He repeated to me that it was serious and said my ex would be brought in and arrested and they would impose bail conditions to keep him away from me.” 

Relieved

Jack said he felt relieved he was being taken seriously and waited to receive an update from the officer. 

However, he never received a call. 

“A month went by and nothing had happened. I tried to get in contact and had no response. 

“Another month went by of the same thing. I heard there was a warrant out for his arrest, but after that a lot of time went by with nothing, no arrest, no feedback.” 

Meanwhile, Paul’s behaviour continued to make Jack feel uncomfortable. Jack reported further instances of stalking and harassment, but never heard anything back. 

He received a call from a specialist police officer who advised getting new locks, increasing home security and changing his routine. While Jack appreciated the advice, it also served as a reminder that he could be in danger. 

Jack was advised by specialist police to change his locks and increase his home security

By mid-September, Jack said he felt frustrated that he had still heard nothing and submitted a complaint to the police by email. It took six weeks for them to respond. 

The answer from an inspector in early November was that the PC assigned to his case was inexperienced, and had been given advice about his work.  

Paul had now been interviewed, he said, and a file would be submitted to the CPS for advice about charging him. 

In an email seen by the Stray Ferret, the inspector added: 

I am sorry that you didn’t receive the service you expected, but this was purely down to [the officer’s] relative inexperience, managing competing pressures of his workload and his thought process in not thinking it appropriate to ring [Paul] or visit his work premises.” 

Yet more time passed with no information from the police. Jack emailed again asking for updates, and for a copy of his original statement, but received no response. 


Read more:


He heard no further until February this year, when IDAS – the domestic abuse charity which he had been put in touch with by police after he first called them – told him the case had been dropped five weeks earlier. 

The reason was nothing to do with evidence or proof. Rather, Jack said, it was because the officer dealing with the case had only passed the file to the CPS a week before charges had to be made or the case had to be dropped. 

Effectively, there was not enough time for the CPS to process it before the six-month deadline for dealing with the case had passed. 

While he accepts there is nothing he can do in his case, Jack said he hopes raising the issue publicly will help other victims who might face similar problems. 

He believes complaints of stalking and harassment are taken more seriously when made by women about men, but said that shouldn’t be the case. 

Jack said: 

“I have spoken to women in Harrogate who have been in the same situation and that’s not what happened for them. I have no doubt, if I had been a woman, it would have been very different. 

“It’s not about being homophobic. But when it’s a man complaining about a man, it’s treated differently.” 

Jack has now taken his complaint to the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner, Zoe Metcalfe. He is awaiting a response from her. 

He said: 

“If I had read a story about this situation six or eight months ago, I would have done something sooner. I would have known it was not normal procedure – a lot of people would just assume you can’t complain [about the police] and what they say goes, but it’s not always the case.” 

Zoe Metcalfe, North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner

The Stray Ferret contacted North Yorkshire Police, but we were told they could not respond while the case was being investigated by the PFCC.  

The PFCC’s office said it could not comment on an individual case because of data protection. A spokesperson declined to comment on the issue of whether gender or sexuality could play a part in officers’ handling of cases, but added: 

“If somebody is not happy with anything that the police do, they should contact our office and make a complaint and we will investigate it.

“Let us know about it, because people should be happy. We don’t like it when people are unhappy with the service that’s provided by the police.”

 

*names changed to protect identities 

Harrogate charity furnishes homes for domestic abuse survivors

A Harrogate furniture reuse charity has helped to furnish four properties for female survivors of domestic abuse.

Essential Needs, on Leeds Road, has partnered with Independent Domestic Abuse Services (IDAS), which is the largest specialist domestic abuse charity in Yorkshire.

The homes in the Harrogate area will be used by women moving away from violence and abuse.

Essential Needs provided four of each of the following items; sofa, bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers, bedside drawer, kitchen table and chairs, coffee table, TV and TV unit, microwave, kettle, toaster and vacuum.

Lee Wright, manager at Essential Needs said:

“Essential Needs wanted to support IDAS as their work is lifesaving and the pandemic has made conditions for victim-survivors even worse.

“It was great to be able to partner in a way that drew on both our strengths as charities, supporting people who really need the help and to give them the best chance of living a life free from abuse and violence.”

Lucinda, a fake name, is one of the survivors that has moved into one of the properties. She said:

“The flat is lovely and homely, it is great to have the freedom to be able to go for walks again. The staff have been really lovely, and kind and it makes me feel safe to know that they are just a phone call away.

“I was so worried about how I would do this on my own but now all my worries about moving have gone away. I am safe.”


Read more:


Essential Needs sells donated furniture at low prices at its Leeds Road warehouse.

IDAS said all the properties now have residents that are getting the support they need to recover from their experience and rebuild. It added it was always looking to accommodate and help more survivors of domestic abuse so will likely partner with Essential Needs again.

Mel Milner, project officer for IDAS dispersed housing and safe havens in Harrogate and district area, said:

“We are very grateful for the generosity of our partners at Essential Needs. When survivors escape abuse, it’s so important that it represents more than just a roof over their heads, so we work hard to furnish our properties with everything you would need to have the best fresh start.”

Harrogate domestic abuse charity sees referrals triple due to covid

The founder of a Harrogate domestic abuse charity has blamed coronavirus for an increase in domestic abuse after the number of referrals tripled in a year.

Lindsay Oliver is chief executive of New Beginnings, which provides comfort and support to abused women when they have settled into new homes and the crisis team has withdrawn.

This time last year the charity took two referrals a month. More recently it has been receiving on average six a month.

The number of active clients over the same period has also more than doubled, from 15 to 35.

That increase in referrals and clients, Ms Oliver believes, is the after-effects of coronavirus lockdowns this year and last year. She told the Stray Ferret:

“We are just now starting to see the outcome of coronavirus. Many people need support but the Harrogate district has been so generous.

“It’s very difficult, particularly at Christmas. Part of the abuse is financial so these women often have lots of debt so struggle to buy gifts and a nice meal.

“With donations from the community and businesses we work with Roots and Fruits (Harrogate greengrocers) to provide our families with a big hamper of food and a turkey.

“Not only are we able to provide food with the support of our amazing community but we are also able to give them gifts, not just for the children but for the women too.”

Some of the donations for the Christmas campaign.


Read more:


Where can I go for further support?

If you are in a physical or emotionally abusive relationship, click here to contact IDAS, which is the largest charity in Yorkshire supporting people affected by domestic abuse and sexual violence.

If you’re out of an abusive relationship but need further support, you can self-refer to New Beginnings. Email enquiries@newbeginningspeersupport.com.

Harrogate Covid Co-Operation raises money for Xmas gifts for kids

Covid Co-Operation Harrogate has successfully raised £2,400 to buy Xmas gifts for disadvantaged children in the district.

The “Smiles, Not Tears” campaign Crowdfunded the money in just over a month.

Covid Co-Operation Harrogate has 10,500 members in its Facebook group and was set up as a community support group before the first lockdown. Its co-founder Susie Little said the appeal for money is directly due to the pandemic.

“People have contacted me privately outside the group and are struggling.  I thought if they can’t afford food how can their parents afford gifts for their children at Christmas? And how do you understand that as a child? It’s very upsetting. “

The group will now work with a number of local charities such as New Beginnings and IDAS (both support women and families who have been the victims of domestic abuse) and Grove Road Primary School to coordinate buying and delivering the gifts to children.  The aim is to buy the presents from local independent stores.


Read More:


Ms Little said she was delighted by the response and thanked all those who had donated:

“This appeal is directly related to covid. People have faced redundancy and having the kids at home more- that means more food and heating the home. Everything is more expensive if you’re at home and have lost your job.

I’m proud and delighted by the success of this appeal, and again, by the extraordinary generosity of the people of Harrogate…this initiative will mean lots of smiles on Christmas Day, rather than tears.  Thank you to everyone who has donated and helped to make such a difference to these children and their parents.”