North Yorkshire Police has confirmed that two officers currently suspended from duty are both on full pay.
The force said in a statement last weekend it had referred an officer to the Independent Office for Police Conduct following concerns about the use of force.
It is the second case involving a North Yorkshire Police officer being investigated by the IOPC.
The police watchdog revealed in December last year a senior officer had been suspended and was under criminal investigation “for the potential offences of misconduct in public office, improper exercise of police powers and intent to pervert the course of justice”.
The Stray Ferret asked North Yorkshire Police whether the two officers had been suspended on full pay.
A spokesperson for the constabulary confirmed this was the case. They added:
“Suspension and associated conditions are set in regulations and we do not have any control over this.”
We also asked the IOPC when it was likely to make a decision on the case that began four months ago.
An IOPC spokesperson said there was “no set timescale on the investigation at this point”, adding:
“The officer has been interviewed under criminal caution and investigators are continuing to address further lines of enquiries.”
Read more:
- Police officer suspended after violent incident in Harrogate district
- Harrogate’s Rachel Daly retires from England football
- Harrogate gallery to host Beatles exhibition
Police officer suspended after violent incident in Harrogate district
A police officer has been suspended after an arrest turned violent in the Harrogate district.
North Yorkshire Police said in a statement yesterday (April 7) it had referred the case to the Independent Office for Police Conduct “following concerns raised about the officers’ use of force”.
The incident happened in the Tockwith area on January 26 this year. Tockwith is between Knaresborough and York on the edge of the Harrogate district.
Police received a report of a road traffic collision. The statement added:
“Officers attended, and arrested a man in his 40s in connection with the incident.
“The man became violent towards officers, who used force to restrain and arrest him. He was taken to custody, and subsequently released on bail while enquiries continue.
“Following concerns raised about the officers’ use of force, the incident was referred voluntarily by North Yorkshire Police to the Independent Office for Police Conduct who are investigating the circumstances.
“Following a review, one officer was subsequently suspended from duty.”
The IOPC is a non-departmental public body which investigates the most serious complaints about conduct matters involving police.
The statement concluded:
“We want to reassure our communities that we take concerns of this nature very seriously, and will continue to work closely with the IOPC.”
The IOPC said in December last year a senior North Yorkshire Police officer had been suspended and was under criminal investigation “for the potential offences of misconduct in public office, improper exercise of police powers and intent to pervert the course of justice”.
Read more:
- Town centre living: a welcome trend for Harrogate?
- Harrogate businesses ‘trying their best to survive’ Kex Gill closure
Senior North Yorks police officer faces criminal investigation over speeding claims
The Independent Office for Police Conduct is investigating an allegation that a senior North Yorkshire Police officer may have provided a false or misleading account to avoid a speeding sanction.
The IOPC, which handles complaints against police forces in England and Wales, said today it had opened a criminal investigation into the matter in November after hearing about the allegation.
Today’s statement added:
“This week, we notified the officer they are under criminal investigation for the potential offences of misconduct in public office, improper exercise of police powers and intent to pervert the course of justice.
“They have also been served notice, informing them that we are investigating gross misconduct in relation to potential breaches of the police standards of professional behaviour for honesty and integrity; duties and responsibilities; and conduct.
“We have been advised that the officer has subsequently been suspended from duty.”
The name of the officer, or where he or she is based, has not been revealed.
IOPC director David Ford said:
“Where a serious allegation such as this is made, it is important for a thorough investigation to take place to uncover the facts.
“In light of the nature of the allegation and the seniority of the officer involved, this will be carried out by the IOPC, independently of the police.
“I would like to make clear that the launching of a criminal investigation does not necessarily mean that criminal charges or disciplinary proceedings will follow.”
Mr Ford added:
“At the conclusion of the investigation, we will decide whether to refer a file of evidence to the Crown Prosecution Service for a charging decision, and also decide whether the officer should face disciplinary proceedings.
“Our investigation is at an early stage, and we will provide further updates when we are in a position to do so.”
A spokeswoman for North Yorkshire Police issued a statement about the investigation:
“North Yorkshire Police is aware of an investigation by the Independent Office for Police Conduct.
“It would be inappropriate to comment further due to the ongoing investigation and as it is led by the Independent Office for Police Conduct all enquiries should be directed to them at this stage.”
Read more:
- Forbidden Corner owner released after kidnapping
- Pedestrian involved in collision near Starbeck trailer park
Man died in Harrogate swallowing suspected drugs he was hiding from police
A man died in Harrogate after swallowing a suspected package of drugs that he was hiding from North Yorkshire Police officers.
According to an Independent Office for Police Conduct report, on February 23, 2019, officers from the county lines drugs team saw the unnamed man who they suspected was involved in supplying controlled drugs.
After they stopped him, he immediately swallowed what was believed to be a package of drugs.
Officers and paramedics tried to help after the man started to choke and managed to dislodge the package from his throat.
Read more:
- Champagne thief strikes in Harrogate supermarket
- Two men flee after crashing car on Harrogate’s Mayfield Grove
He was transported to Harrogate District Hospital where he received medical treatment, but died.
The report, published last week, added:
“Our investigation concluded there was no indication the officers may have behaved in a manner that would justify the bringing of disciplinary proceedings or committed a criminal offence.
“The officers were treated as witnesses and cooperated fully with this investigation. The evidence also suggested that all reasonable attempts were made to provide the man with medical assistance at the scene. The officers continued this work until paramedics arrived.
“Their actions in this regard demonstrated a commendable degree of diligence and professionalism.”
The IOPC said the investigation was completed in September 2019, but was published following the outcome of an inquest in March this year.
The inquest reached a conclusion of accidental death.