Divino opens at ex-Lucia site in Harrogate

An Italian restaurant has opened in the former Lucia Harrogate site.

Divino opened at 3 Ripon Road last Friday, March 29. The restaurant “is a testament to the rich heritage and impeccable flavours of Italy”, according to its website.

The restaurant’s à la carte menu offers Italian classics with ‘a French twist’, including pasta, pizza and steak starting at around £14.

Lucia wine bar and grill closed on March 10 after trading at the site for 10 years. At the time Lucia operations manager, Darioush Shahidi said the restaurant wasn’t facing difficulties “it was a case of the right buyer with the right offer”.

Giuseppe Gentile, general manager of Divino, said:

“The main changes are that the restaurant has a completely new menu, authentic Italian style with a French twist and the restaurant has been rebranded.

“We decided to open here because we loved the building, loved the interior and loved the Harrogate area.”

Traditional pizza spinning in Divino kitchen


Read more:


New Mediterranean restaurant opens in Harrogate

A new Mediterranean restaurant specialising in Turkish and Italian cuisine has opened in Harrogate.

Rubin’s is based in a large unit that used to be a bathroom shop on Cheltenham Parade. It is next door to the former Catch seafood restaurant.

The venue opens at 10am for all-day breakfasts and then serves lunch at noon and evening meals from 5pm to 9pm. It also offers afternoon teas and has its own pastry chef making all the sweet treats.

Named after one of the business partners’ sons, Rubin’s can seat up to 98 customers.

Rubin's

Rubin’s is situated on Cheltenham Parade.

The restaurant, which opened last week, is expecting new signs next week and currently does not have an alcohol licence.  Customers can bring their own alcohol until a licence is approved and there is no corkage charge.


Read more:


Manager David Rogers said:

“We make everything fresh and have created a nice atmosphere. It’s a big, comfortable place and we look forward to welcoming customers.”

The evening menu includes burgers, pasta, Neapolitan sourdough pizzas and Turkish pide. Vegetarian options are available.

Rubin's

The extensive range of pastries and ice-creams.

Funeral next week for Ripon restaurant owner Mario

The funeral will be held next week for the owner of Ripon restaurant Mario’s.

The family-run restaurant, serving traditional Italian food, has been part of Ripon life for almost 20 years.

Mario Chessa, who was the son of a chef, was born in Napoli in 1959. He moved to England in 1997 with a dream of opening his own restaurant.

He had worked as a chef in Italy and was employed by various restaurants around Harrogate until he became head chef at Joe Rigatoni, which is now Lucia.

In 2004 he fulfilled his lifelong dream by opening Mario’s on Kirkgate, which he ran with his son, Marco, and wife, Maria.

Mario's restaurant

The family announced on social media last week that Mario had lost a long battle with cancer. Many of the hundreds of people who commented on Facebook described him as a ‘lovely man’ who would be sorely missed.

Marco Chessa told the Stray Ferret:

“My father was a much loved, kind, hardworking man. He was a loving father and grandfather and a wonderful husband who will be missed by many.”

“Myself, my mother and all our staff will carry on his legacy. We are closed at the moment but due to reopen on the May 24.”

His funeral will be held on May 19 at St Joseph’s Church on Skipton Road, Harrogate, at 11.30am.

 

Soaring energy bills a ‘kick in the teeth’, say Harrogate business owners

Harrogate business owners say soaring energy bills are a “kick in the teeth” in the wake of the pandemic.

They are calling for more government support, however they say they “are not holding their breath”, after receiving little help over the last two years.

And there are fears that it will be the final nail in the coffin for some, with the price hike affecting every business – from big to small.

Bills have doubled

Andy Preston, co-owner of F45 Harrogate gym on Albert Street, said it had just received its electricity bill and the amount had doubled.

He said:

“At the end of the day it adds an extra financial burden on the business that we have no control over realistically. It’s an extra overhead that we don’t really need.

“There’s nothing we can do, because it’s the world as it is right now. However, we are getting stung by it.

“It’s just another kick in the teeth after everything we have had to deal with over the last two years. We didn’t get much financial help during the pandemic. The government needs to step up and help businesses now.”

F45 Harrogate owners Andy Preston, left, and Matt Goodall.

Across the road at Thug Sandwich Co, owner Daniel Bell said he was waiting to find out just how much it was going to impact his business.

He said:

“I’ll have to tighten up in other areas. I’ll have to make sacrifices in my personal life – not pay myself as much. I’ve just put my prices up at the beginning of the year anyway, which is something I fought for three years.

“I can’t do that again because then I’m not competitive anymore. So it’s just going to affect my personal life more than anything.

“It’s just another thing to deal with after covid. I definitely wouldn’t hold my breath for any government support. Especially with the amount we got over the covid period. It just seems we are borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. It has got to come from somewhere.”


Read more:


Extra blow for hospitality

Brett Lee, director and executive chef at Italian restaurant Stuzzi Harrogate, on King’s Road, agrees that it is an extra blow for the hospitality industry.

He said many restaurants have had to put up their prices already due to a large increase in food and import costs caused by a combination of Brexit and the ongoing effects of the pandemic.

Mr Lee, who also owns Stuzzi Leeds, said:

“It feels like another big obstacle on the road to recovery.

“Every household in the country will now be reviewing how they are spending money due to the rise in energy costs. This may push people to only visit their favourite restaurants once a month instead of a more frequent affair.

“It also means people have less disposal cash to spend in different sectors like retail. This doesn’t help our struggling high streets either and could also have a dangerous effect on restaurant lunch trade across the country.

“But we can’t take a negative approach, we must continue to adapt to the circumstances given to us, work hard, be creative and use our initiative.”

Brett Lee, director of Stuzzi Harrogate.

An ‘unwelcome burden’

Sue Kramer, owner of Crown Jewellers and head of the Commercial Street Retailers Group, described the situation as “worrying”.

She said:

“Whilst many of our shops may be small on Commercial Street, the financial impact of the energy crisis will undoubtedly affect every business – from the smallest up.

“The worrying part is that we have little control over what is going to happen, and basically have to accept whatever is thrown at us. Clearly having endured the uncertainty of covid for the last two years, this is an extra and most unwelcome burden.”

Sue Kramer, owner of Crown Jewellers and head of the Commercial Street Retailers Group.

The price hike comes after the energy regulator, Ofgem, lifted the maximum rate that suppliers can charge for an average duel-fuel energy tariff by £693 — an increase of 54 per cent.

This is to reflect the fourfold increase in energy market prices over the last year.

Plan to convert Starbeck pharmacy into Italian takeaway

A former Lloyds pharmacy in Starbeck could be converted into an Italian kitchen and takeaway.

Under plans submitted to Harrogate Borough Council, the site would be refurbished to include an Italian trattoria on the ground floor and two apartments above.

SSA Architects, which has submitted the application on behalf of the developer, said in its planning documents that the kitchen would provide employment for between five to eight people.

It would be open from 12pm until 12am, according to the proposal.

Meanwhile, both flats proposed as part of the development would be one bedroom.

The developer said in its application:

“The proposal looks to rejuvenate the plot by refurbishing the existing structure within the setting.

“Within this outlined development, the design aims to create an inviting setting for the new residents, and customers for the takeaway business.”

Harrogate Borough Council will make a decision on the proposal at a later date.


Read more:


 

Gino D’Acampo claims Harrogate restaurant rebrand was done ‘without my consent’

Flamboyant TV chef Gino D’Acampo has spoken out against the rebrand of his Harrogate restaurant to Piccolino, claiming it was done against his wishes.

This month five restaurants with the Gino D’Acampo My Restaurant name were rebranded by owner Individual Restaurants, including on Parliament Street in Harrogate.

Piccolino is also owned by the same group.

But in an interview with Manchester Evening News to promote a new restaurant in Cheshire, D’Acampo said they were rebranded “without my consent”:

“My dad used to say to me for every action there is a reaction. Those five restaurants, they were rebranded without my consent and this is my reaction, I open new ones.

“When one goes, I say let’s do something bigger and better.”


Read more:


The Restaurant Bar & Grill, which was on the site before Gino’s, is also owned by Individual Restaurants.

Press reports from last year said the Gino D’Acampo My Restaurant chain was struggling financially.

The Stray Ferret asked Individual Restaurants to respond to D’Acampo’s claim but we did not receive a response at the time of publication.

D’Acampo’s Harrogate venture got off on the wrong foot when the chef pronounced it was the only “proper Italian” in Harrogate.

His comments sparked a furious backlash at the time from a number of Harrogate’s Italian restaurant owners.

Gino D’Acampo restaurant in Harrogate set to close

An Italian restaurant owned by Gino D’Acampo will close this month after more than four years in Harrogate.

Gino D’Acampo My Restaurant on Parliament Street is one of five of the celebrity chef’s restaurants to close.

After opening the business in 2017 Mr D’Acampo claimed it was the only “proper Italian” in Harrogate.

His comments sparked a furious backlash at the time from a number of Harrogate’s Italian restaurant owners.

The closures follow the news from the start of the year that his My Pasta Bar chain entered liquidation amid problems with coronavirus.

Piccolino will take on the former Gino D’Acampo My Restaurant in Harrogate, which will reopen after a rebrand on Monday, January 24.


Read more:


A spokesperson for Piccolino, which is part of the Individual Restaurants group along with Gino D’Acampo My Restaurant, said:

“This former Gino D’Acampo My Restaurant will become part of the Piccolino family of restaurants on January 24.

“We are thrilled to announce that we will soon be opening a brand new Piccolino restaurant in Harrogate.

“We can’t wait to welcome you through our doors of Harrogate’s brand new Piccolino.”

Sneak peek: Harrogate’s Lucia ready to reopen after £750,000 refurb

An Italian restaurant and cocktail bar is reopening in Harrogate after spending £750,000 on a major refurbishment during the third national lockdown.

Lucia Harrogate, based at 3 Ripon Road, will throw open its doors to guests again on Tuesday May 18 with a bright and refreshed look. So we went for a sneak peek.

The big investment, which comes after a difficult year for the hospitality industry, has also created 21 jobs.

Lucia Harrogate’s middle floor, on street level, is bright and airy

It already seems to be paying off. Tables in the restaurant and bar are fully reserved for the next three weeks and if people keep booking, there could be scope to create even more roles.


Read more:


Lucia, which has two more restaurants in Beverley and York, has been in Harrogate since 2014.

Its restaurant in the town is set over three floors. It now has a classic Italian, 1920s look, with a modern floral twist.

There is an almost prohibition-era feel to the basement, which is kitted out in dark and rich reds and ocean-inspired decorations.

The middle floor remains as the main restaurant space and bar. It also leads into the conservatory, which has an eye-catching floral display on the ceiling.

While the top floor is where you can find even more seating to grab food and drinks. The main toilets are also on the top floor.

Soothing blues enhance the top floor’s more relaxed atmosphere

Mike Turner, general manager at Lucia Wine Bar and Grill Harrogate, told the Stray Ferret:

“We are looking forward to opening our doors and showcasing this beautiful restaurant. It’s had a good overhaul and we have created extra jobs.

“People cannot wait to head out, so that is great. We are fully booked for the next three weeks and people are already getting in touch about the fourth week.”

Rich red decor gives the basement an almost-prohibition-era feel

Chelsea Talbot, the restaurant’s guest experience manager, also said:

“The money for the refurbishment is Lucia money, it comes from the success and confidence in what we can offer.

“I spoke to a taxi driver about it who thought it was daft to spend so much money, but it’s not. It’s amazing.

“We know that this is what Harrogate wants. We are confident in hospitality. People can dine and drink with us and spend a full evening here.”

A statement floral ceiling dominates the conservatory

 

The basement’s bar is ready for staff to serve drinks

Harrogate restaurant offers free meals for homeless people

An independent Harrogate restaurant is stepping up to the plate once again and offering free meals for homeless people on Christmas Day.

Portofino Ristorante will open from 2pm to 4pm to serve a full turkey dinner for anyone without a roof over their head.

As well as the food, those in need will also come away with a Christmas gift in the form of gloves, hats, scarves or sleeping bags.

Ozgur Babat, owner of the Italian restaurant Portofino, told the Stray Ferret:

“Many businesses are struggling right now but we are lucky enough to be in a position to help others.

“The response has been incredible, so many people have shared it online so hopefully we can reach those people in need.”


Read more:


With the help of charitable people locally the restaurant is already at full capacity for winter clothes and sleeping bags.

The restaurant will serve turkey with pigs in blankets, stuffing, seasonal vegetables, roast potatoes and gravy from its new Christmas menu.

The restaurant has been inundated with donations.

Coronavirus guidelines means that everyone will have to sit on a seperate table, so there will be room for around 25 people.

Since sharing the news on the Portofino Ristorante page, people have shared the post more than 1,000 times.

Sneak peek at Italian restaurant opening in Harrogate

A new Italian restaurant is opening in Harrogate tomorrow to serve up fresh pasta and speciality wines.

Pranzo Italian, at 31-33 Cold Bath Road, is the second restaurant from chef Marco Greco. He opened his first in Ilkley two and a half years ago.

Marco cooking up a mafalde with four-hour braised beef shin ragu.

This new Harrogate restaurant will be open every day from 12pm to 10pm except on Sundays when it will close at 6pm.

Although it has meat, fish and vegetarian options, Pranzo Harrogate does not have a large menu. It believes in serving a few dishes it can perfect.


Read more:


As the restaurant has a large kitchen space downstairs, the chefs will be able to make fresh pasta each and every day.

Marco Greco, on the eve of Pranzo Harrogate’s opening, told the Stray Ferret:

“I have been looking for a new place for about a year. I know it is not the best time to open a new business, it was a bit crazy. But we are already fully booked for the opening night so it is looking good and I think it will be worth it.”

Pranzo Harrogate is the new Italian restaurant on Cold Bath Road.

Pranzo Ilkley is rated as the number two restaurant in the town on TripAdvisor.

Mr Greco has Italian heritage, learned to cook with his grandmother and followed in the footsteps of his dad who also opened an Italian restaurant.

He worked in his dad’s restaurant as soon as he left school and always dreamed of opening his own place.

Pranzo Harrogate has space for 30 people inside the restaurant and a further 20 outside under current covid restrictions.

It has employed 10 staff and intends to recruit more in the future.