Heavy traffic on A1(M) at Boroughbridge eight hours after crash

Update at 4.20pm

The A1(M) has now fully reopened following a serious crash between Ripon and Boroughbridge.

Highways England said there is four and a half miles of congestion following the closure.

Update: The #A1M in #NorthYorkshire has reopened fully following an earlier incident between J49 #Ripon and J48 #Boroughbridge. There is 4.5 miles of congestion following this closure so please allow time for these delays to clear. Safe journey. pic.twitter.com/ImHpv6HZrI

— National Highways: Yorkshire (@HighwaysYORKS) December 9, 2021


Update at 2.35pm

North Yorkshire Police has said the southbound A1(M) has finally reopened but traffic remains heavy.

https://twitter.com/NYorksPolice/status/1468950384135716865


Update at 12.40pm

Drivers have been turned around on the A1(M) southbound carriageway to get them off the motorway while the emergency services deal with a serious crash between Ripon and Boroughbridge.

North Yorkshire Police said it received reports of a single vehicle crash just before 9am. The road has not yet reopened.

It is unclear at this time the extent of any injuries suffered in the crash or when the closure will be lifted.

A Thirsk resident Charles Allen told the Stray Ferret that he had been sat in traffic for more than three hours. He added:

“I was planning to go to Oxford this morning on business to see a client. I left Thirsk around 9.15am so was stuck in traffic for hours.

“The A1(M) was absolute carnage. We were turned around, so we were driving north on the southbound carriage. The surrounding roads are also heavily congested.”


Police have closed the A1(M) southbound carriageway between Ripon and Boroughbridge due to a serious accident just before 9am today.

The air ambulance is on the scene along with all of the other emergency services this morning.

Currently there are delays of 30 minutes but they are expected to increase. Allow extra time for your journey or avoid the area if possible.

North Yorkshire Police has tweeted some details about the incident.

https://twitter.com/NYorksPolice/status/1468890383602098192

 

National Highways has also tweeted about the incident.

The #A1M is closed southbound between J49 (#Ripon) and J48 (#Boroughbridge) following a single vehicle collision. All emergency services including the air ambulance are working at the scene. Please allow extra time for your journey as delays of 30 minutes on the approach. pic.twitter.com/wwMg2Tz2ZB

— National Highways: Yorkshire (@HighwaysYORKS) December 9, 2021

This is a breaking news story which we will update as we get more information.

£1billion bid launched to dual all of A66

One of the busiest roads in northern England could be made into a dual carriage way as part of a £1 billion plan revealed today.

National Highways, formerly Highways England, has launched a consultation into the project, which would dual the remaining parts of the road between the M6 at Penrith and A1 at Scotch Corner.

The road is used by thousands of drivers in the north of England each day to travel between the north east and Cumbria and on to Scotland.

Baroness Vere, minister for roads, visited the consultation hub on the site of the former Llama Karma Kafe today, where she was joined by Neil Hudson, the Conservative MP for Penrith and The Border, along with local council and business leaders.

The consultation will run for six weeks until November 6. Following the outcome of the consultation, National Highways will apply for a development consent order which would pave the way for the project to be given the go-ahead.

Nick Harris, National Highways chief executive, said:

“We look forward to hearing people’s thoughts on our vision to bring far-reaching benefits to those who use and live near the route.

“By creating better links we can unlock access to tourism, jobs, essential services and new opportunities.”


Read more:


Baroness Vere said:

“Upgrading the A66 is a project at the heart of our plans to build back better and level up the north by improving infrastructure and boosting connections across the region.

“Whether you’re commuting, visiting the area on holiday, or transporting freight, this upgrade will bring huge benefits to the area by cutting congestion and speeding up journey times.

“This consultation is a great opportunity for people and businesses to help shape the future of this project so it works for everyone.”

You can have your say on the A66 scheme here.