The Harrogate district appeared to be much quieter today as people seemed to embrace the national lockdown rules.
With schools, shops and hospitality businesses closed, residents have been instructed only to leave home for a few essential reasons, including shopping for food and medicine, and to exercise outside.
The measures are designed to reduce the coronavirus case rates, which have spiked in North Yorkshire as well as elsewhere in the country, by significantly reducing contact between people.
It is unclear when the lockdown will end, but it will be reviewed again in mid-February.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced the new restrictions yesterday evening in response to an “alarming” rise in coronavirus cases.

The Harrogate district will enter tier two restrictions at the end of the national lockdown.
Matt Hancock, the health secretary, will set out the rules each area will be under in the House of Commons today.
However, a government website that has since crashed pre-empted the announcement. Here’s the full list.
When you put in a local postcode it says that the Harrogate district and North Yorkshire is under tier two.

The district is in tier two.
The new rules will come into force next Wednesday, December 2. It is unclear when the restrictions will come to an end.
North Yorkshire had been in tier one restrictions before the second national lockdown.
Local public health officials said in a press briefing yesterday that the coronavirus rates are an indicator of the different tiers.
Read more:
- R number falls below 1 in the Harrogate district
- Harrogate district pubs fear closure in new tiers
- Ripon coronavirus testing site opens
Most of North Yorkshire is below the England average seven-day rate of 201 cases per 100,000.
Scarborough and Selby are the only local areas above the national average. They have rates of 280 and 232 respectively.
While Harrogate and Ryedale have the lowest case rates in the area with 147 and 132.
The local officials also said that they would favour a system where North Yorkshire is split into different districts.
What are the rules in tier two?
Tier two:
- No mixing of households indoors apart from support bubbles with a max of six meeting outdoors
- Hospitality venues must close unless operating as restaurants. Can only serve alcohol with a substantial meal
- Retail, entertainment, accommodation, schools, indoor leisure and personal care are all open
- Can travel but avoid tier three areas except where necessary
- Overnight stays are permitted with support bubble only
- Work from home where possible
- Places of worship open but do not interact with anyone outside household or support bubble
- Up to 15 guests for weddings and up to 30 for funerals
- Exercise classes and organised sport can take place outdoors. Cannot take place indoors if there is any contact between people from different households
- Large events can go ahead with 1,000 capacity indoors and 2,000 outdoors
What about Christmas?
Coronavirus restrictions will be eased across the UK between December 23 and December 27 to allow for a Christmas closer to normal.
It will mean that three households will be able to form a temporary bubble. It must be fixed but there will be no limit on numbers joining bubble.
Those who are self-isolating should not join one of these so-called Christmas bubbles.
If someone is in an at-risk group the government has said they must their their own judgement and consider the risks of mixing over Christmas.
Care home confusion brings more distressLocal health officials still do not know whether people will be allowed to visit relatives in care homes when lockdown begins tomorrow.
North Yorkshire County Council restricted visits during October but advised homes they could relax the rules in November to allow one designated visitor for each resident.
But there is confusion whether this window of opportunity for visits will prove short lived.
Richard Webb, the county council’s director of health and adult services, said at a press briefing today:
“Our advice still applies as of today but we are promised further government guidance on what will happen with care home visits tomorrow.
“I am assuming there will be restrictions on care home visits. As it stands we are just trying to support families and residents and care home providers.”
Judy Bass, a Harrogate resident, used to see her 99-year-old father with dementia in a care home every day before the first coronavirus lockdown.
Today will be the first time since March that she will be able to see him for a ‘door visit’ after a ‘window visit’ three weeks ago.
Read more:
- Harrogate district to get local test and trace system
- North Yorkshire covid tests taking ‘far too long’, says MP
She will wear full PPE to stand at the door of her father’s room. Ms Bass feels the stop-start nature of visiting will confuse her dad:
Gardens centres and RHS Harlow Carr will stay open“I do not want to say that it is all bad because I am actually seeing my dad tonight for the first time in months. The communication has just been poor.
“It seemed that all of a sudden we were allowed to visit care homes and there has been a big rush this week to cram the visits in. But now we have no idea what will happen.”
Garden centres in the Harrogate district and RHS Harlow Carr will remain open during the second national coronavirus lockdown.
The lockdown will start on Thursday and last until at least December 2, with non essential shops and restaurants forced to close.
However, RHS Harlow Carr, which has its own garden centre, says it has reviewed government guidance and that it can stay open.
The RHS has said it is monitoring the situation closely and is awaiting the publication of the new lockdown regulations
To effectively manage social distancing measure the RHS has asked all visitors to pre-book a time slot in advance.
The National Trust meanwhile has tweeted that it is still awaiting for national guidance as to whether Fountains Abbey & Studley Royal can stay open.
Please note that there will be very limited access to the abbey on 3&4 Nov. The water garden, cafe, shop, play area & deer park are still open and can be accessed from the visitor centre.
Beyond Wednesday, we're awaiting national guidance on opening. Please bear with us for now. pic.twitter.com/hogCOkqMVi— Fountains Abbey & Studley Royal, National Trust (@fountainsabbey) November 2, 2020
Read more:
- Andrew Jones MP criticised for lockdown U-turn
- Closing Harrogate teepee after three days a ‘devastating blow’
Garden centres across the district will also remain open.
Crimple Hall Garden Centre, on Leeds Road in Harrogate, told the Stray Ferret it will remain open. While the cafe will be closed it will serve takeaway hot drinks, sandwiches and cakes.
F. Tate and Sons, a garden centre in Ripon, also told the Stray Ferret that it will stay open. It will need to close its new cafe but is looking into providing takeaway food and drink as well.
Daleside Nurseries Ltd, in Killinghall, has also confirmed that it will remain open and said it is continuing to work in coronavirus safe ways. It will run a takeaway service.
Closing Harrogate teepee after three days a ‘devastating blow’A Harrogate hotel has said it has been dealt a devastating blow by being forced to close, just days after investing in a new Winter Wonderland Teepee.
The Majestic Hotel on Ripon Road hoped to offer a family-friendly dining experience with Christmas market-style food.
It had taken more that 400 bookings in the last week alone but will now need to close its doors for at least a month.
Read more:
- Teepee promises winter wonderland in Harrogate
- Zen garden completed at new Harrogate spa
- Harrogate couple cancel wedding for third time
Andy Barnsdale, DoubleTree by Hilton Harrogate Majestic Hotel & Spa general manager, said:
“Going into a second lockdown is a devastating blow for the hospitality industry, particularly as we are entering our busiest period.
“In the three days that it was open it was a great success. The majority of those visited were Harrogate residents. It offered a bit of winter cheer in these difficult times and the atmosphere was great.”
The hotel had brought back all its staff from furlough in August and has said it will now put the majority back on the furlough scheme.
It will now look at options such as providing rooms for key workers and those who need to work away from home.