Harrogate District Hospital has recorded another death from a patient who tested positive for coronavirus.
The hospital reported the death on Tuesday, according to NHS England figures. It takes the covid-related death toll at the hospital to 205.
Today’s figures from the UK Health Security Agency show that another 326 infections have been recorded in the Harrogate district.
Meanwhile, government figures show that the district’s seven-day covid average is 1,487 per 100,000 people, down on yesterday’s figure of 1,527.
It remains below both the county average, which is 1,475, and the England rate is also 1,475.
Read more:
- Harrogate man forced to miss funerals hits out at Downing Street parties
- Harrogate hotelier says hospitality grew ‘fat and lazy’ on cheap foreign labour
The data also shows that 105,412 booster or third jabs have been given in the Harrogate district, as of today.
Today, health bosses in North Yorkshire have sought to address fears from people who are hesitant to get the vaccine, in particular pregnant women.

‘Super-volunteer’ George Simpson – who has given over 1,500 hours of his time to the Knaresborough vaccination centre programme since it began in March 2021. Homecare Pharmacy vaccinator Janice John (in pink vest). Chain Lane Community Hub director Sue Vasey.
Dr Cath Dixon, executive chair and clinical lead of the Yorkshire Health Network a Federation of the 17 GP practices in the Harrogate district, said:
“Getting a covid vaccine is one of the most important things a pregnant woman can do this year to keep herself and her baby as safe from this virus as possible.
“There is now extensive evidence to show that the vaccines are safe and that the risks posed by covid to mum and baby are far greater. If any mums-to-be are having doubts about vaccination, I would urge them to talk to their midwife or doctor.”
Meanwhile, Knaresborough covid vaccination centre, based at Chain Lane Community Hub, administered its 125,000th jab today.
Officials at the centre reported that 40,000 of its vaccines which were given in November and December alone.
New year begins with fall in covid cases in Harrogate districtA total of 279 infections have been recorded in the Harrogate district today — down on yesterday’s figure of 330.
The district’s seven-day average rate of infection has also fallen slightly from yesterday’s record high of 1,094 per 100,000 people to 1,130.
North Yorkshire rate is 1,071 and the England rate is 1,363.
Harrogate west and Pannal Ash is the current covid hotspot, with 149 cases in the last seven days.
The number of people who have received a third or booster vaccine in the district stands at 101.821. A total of 363,883 vaccines have been administered.
Read more:
- Harrogate drum teacher recognised in New Year Honours
- More than 1,500 attend New Year’s event in Ripon
Harrogate not chosen as Nightingale site this time
Leeds has been chosen ahead of Harrogate to provide a Nightingale surge hub for Yorkshire and the north-east of England.
NHS England announced today it was on a “war footing” and had chosen eight hospitals in different English regions to deal with a potential wave of Omicron patients.
St James’ University Hospital in Leeds has been selected in our region to provide a temporary structure capable of housing about 100 patients.
Harrogate Convention Centre was one of eight Nightingale hospitals set up in spring last year in England to treat covid patients.
It had 500 beds but closed this year without treating a single patient.
However, the huge increase in infections caused by Omicron has prompted health managers to devise plans for extra capacity. All eight regional sites chosen this time to be Nightingale surge hubs are within existing hospitals.
Read more:
- Harrogate council billed NHS £3 million for Nightingale costs
- Harrogate and Ripon hospitals restrict visitors due to Omicron
An NHS press release said placing the new Nightingale facilities in hospital grounds would make it easier to flex staff and equipment if there is a surge in admissions.
Other hospital sites could follow — NHS trusts have been asked to identify areas such as gyms and education centres that can be converted to accommodate patients.
4,000 beds
The plan is to create up to 4,000 ‘super surge’ beds across the country.
Professor Stephen Powis, NHS national medical director, said:
“Given the high level of covid infections and increasing hospital admissions, the NHS is now on a war footing.
“We do not yet know exactly how many of those who catch the virus will need hospital treatment, but given the number of infections we cannot wait to find out before we act and so work is beginning from today to ensure these facilities are in place.”
Professor Powis urged the public to “play their part” by getting booster jabs. He said:
“The science is clear. Two doses of vaccine do not provide enough protection against Omicron so if you have not yet had a life-saving booster do not delay any longer.”
Health Secretary Sajid Javid said:
“We hope the Nightingale surge hubs at hospitals will not have to be used but it is absolutely right that we prepare for all scenarios and increase capacity.”
The first eight of the Nightingale surge hubs will be at the following hospitals:
North East and Yorkshire – St James’ University Hospital, Leeds
North West – Royal Preston Hospital
Midlands – Solihull Hospital, University Hospitals Birmingham and University Hospitals Leicester
East of England – Lister Hospital, Stevenage
London – St George’s Hospital
South East – William Harvey Hospital, Ashford
South West – North Bristol Hospital
The Harrogate district has reported a further 97 covid cases, according to today’s government figures.
The district’s covid rate now stands at 430 infections per 100,000 people. It was 450 yesterday.
Across the county, the average stands at 390 and the England rate is 503.
No further deaths from patients who tested positive for covid have been reported at Harrogate District Hospital, according to NHS England.
A total of 200 patients have died with covid at the hospital since the start of the pandemic.
Read more:
- Great Yorkshire Showground in Harrogate reopens for vaccines today
- Still no omicron infections in Harrogate district as rate drops
Harrogate’s Great Yorkshire Showground reopened this week as a vaccination site.
Those eligible can book appointments on the NHS booking site here.
Anyone over 18 who had their second covid jab over three months ago can also walk-in for a jab. The walk-ins are available until Sunday when they will be reviewed again.
The showground site has also said it is closed for walk-ins between 1215pm and 115pm each day when staff change shifts.
Harrogate district records 200th covid death
The Harrogate district reached the grim milestone of 200 covid-related deaths today.
The figures published by NHS England show the 200th death was recorded yesterday at Harrogate District Hospital.
A further 95 covid cases were reported in the district, taking the total since the start of the pandemic to 25,095.
The district’s seven-day covid rate has increased slightly to 455 infections per 100,000 people.
Across the county, the average stands at 418 and the England rate is 489.
Harrogate District Hospital currently has 12 covid-positive patients – a figure which has fallen from 25 over the last month.
Read more:
- Great Yorkshire Showground in Harrogate reopens for vaccines today
- Still no omicron infections in Harrogate district as rate drops
Harrogate’s Great Yorkshire Showground reopened yesterday as a vaccination site.
The showground was due to close on December 22 but it now looks set to continue until March, although this has yet to be confirmed, as the government aims to speed up the vaccination programme.
Those eligible can book appointments on the NHS booking site here.
89 more positive covid cases in Harrogate districtAnother 89 covid cases have been reported in the Harrogate district, according to today’s Public Health England figures.
The district’s weekly covid rate now stands at 316 infections per 100,000 people. The North Yorkshire rate is 314 and the England average is 330.
Harrogate District Hospital is currently treating 10 patients for covid.
Read more:
-
Covid hospitalisations increase in Harrogate district and across county
-
Council blames covid for barring group from Knaresborough House
Harrogate hospital has recorded no covid deaths in the last 24 hours, according to NHS England statistics. However, two people have died at the hospital due to covid since last Wednesday.
It means the death toll at the hospital from covid since March 2020 stands at 181.
A total of 124,017 people have received a first covid vaccine in the Harrogate district and 112,000 have had a second dose.
Eighty-seven per cent of adults have had a first jab and 78 per cent have had two jabs.
75 covid cases in Harrogate district but hospitalisations fallAnother 75 covid infections have been recorded in the Harrogate district in the past 24 hours, according to Public Health England.
It is almost double yesterday’s figure of 42 and is the highest daily figure since January 13, when there were 86 infections.
However, separate figures released today by NHS England show the spike in infections is not leading to an increase in hospitalisations. There are currently two covid patients at Harrogate District Hospital – down from three last week, which suggests the vaccination programme is working.
The Harrogate district data reflects the national picture where cases have risen by almost 70% in a week but deaths have increased by just 11% and hospitalisations by 6%.
Read More:
- Harrogate dad died skydiving in parachute with holes patched over
- Delta variant cases in Harrogate district quadruple in two weeks
The current seven-day rate of infection in the district is 173, slightly above the England rate of 172.
There have been no further covid-related deaths at Harrogate District Hospital. It means the death toll remains at 179.
First covid death at Harrogate hospital in nearly two weeksHarrogate District Hospital has reported its first covid death in nearly two weeks.
The death was reported on April 11, according to NHS England figures.
It’s the first death since March 29 of a patient who tested positive for covid.
It takes the total deaths at the hospital since the start of the pandemic to 179.
Read more:
- ‘It’s been superb’: Nidderdale welcomes Pateley Bridge vaccination centre
- Police and council to check Harrogate venues comply with outdoor rule
Meanwhile, 11 covid cases have been recorded in the Harrogate district according to latest Public Health England statistics.
The number takes the total number of cases since last March to 7,596.
According to the government dashboard, the only areas to have had any infections in the last seven days are Killinghall and Hampsthwaite, Harrogate east and Hookstone.
10 days without covid death at Harrogate hospitalHarrogate District Hospital has recorded its longest period without a covid-related death since Christmas.
Latest figures revealed by NHS England today show 10 days have passed since the last death.
It is the longest period without a covid fatality since the 14 days from December 11 to December 25.
Infection rates soared after Christmas, as did admissions, peaking at 68 on February 13.
At one point last month there were seven deaths in three days.
The dark days continued this month, when 10 people died in nine days.
But patient numbers have fallen rapidly recently and are now down to single figures.
A total of 814 covid patients have been admitted to the hospital since the pandemic began.
Six hundred and three have been discharged.
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust announced today it had introduced free WiFi at its hospitals in Harrogate and Ripon.
We've introduced a new, free WiFi network for patients & visitors at Harrogate District & Ripon Community hospitals.
To use the service, please connect to the NHS_PUBLIC_Wi-Fi network, enter your name & email details & agree to the T&Cs. You'll then be granted access. pic.twitter.com/SH0HfTlyE4
— Harrogate NHS FT (@HarrogateNHSFT) March 27, 2021
No daily infection figures for the Harrogate district had been released by Public Health England by the time of publication today.
Read more:
- More than half of Harrogate district population receive covid vaccine
- Ripley Show cancelled due to covid
Harrogate Nightingale dismantling begins
Work has begun to dismantle Harrogate’s Nightingale hospital – almost a year after it was built at a cost of more than £27m.
The temporary 500-bed site was set up at Harrogate Convention Centre in April last year to cope with a surge of coronavirus cases but it has not treated a single virus patient during the pandemic.
NHS England announced this month the emergency hospital would close at the start of April and a spokesperson has now confirmed contractors have started removing medical equipment from the venue.
“The phased dismantling of NHS Nightingale Hospital Yorkshire and the Humber has begun.
“The removal of some larger pieces of equipment will require road closures which will be advertised through the appropriate channels in due course.”
The emergency hospital was one of seven built in England and although it did not treat a single coronavirus patient, it was used for non-virus diagnostic tests and outpatient appointments.
Read more:
- Investigation launched into Harrogate Nightingale hospital
- ‘A costly PR stun’ – calls for an inquiry into Harrogate Nightingale
Earlier this month, the NHS described the network of Nightingale hospitals as the “ultimate insurance policy” as it announced each of the sites, apart from those in London and Sunderland which will stay open for vaccinations, will close next month.
Health officials also said it was a “success” that the Harrogate site was not needed but there are questions over how it would have been staffed, with councillors on the West Yorkshire Joint Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee this week launching an investigation into why the facility was not used for covid patients.
Councillor Jim Clark, the Conservative chairman of North Yorkshire County Council, said there are “questions to be answered” and “lessons we can learn” around the Nightingale.
He told the health committee on Monday:
“We need to know how we would have staffed it, what capacity it would have been able to provide, where the staff would have come from and what effect that would have had on services within the rest of Yorkshire.”
It remains unclear how long the dismantling of the hospital will take and how much it will cost.
However, Paula Lorimer, director of the council-owned convention centre, previously said she was “confident” it will be ready for events to return on 21 June when all restrictions on social distancing are due to be lifted.
