BREAKING: Harrogate’s Nightingale hospital to remain until March

The NHS Nightingale hospital will remain at Harrogate Convention Centre until next March, the Prime Minister has confirmed.

Additional funding of £3bn has been given to NHS England to maintain the emergency hospitals across the country in case of a second wave of Covid cases this winter.

In a briefing from Downing Street, Boris Johnson said:

“This will allow the NHS to continue to use the extra hospital capacity acquired from the private sector and also to maintain the Nighingale hospitals until the end of March.”

If cases remain at a manageable level for existing hospitals, the Nightingales will continue to offer extra capacity for routine testing and treatment. The Nightingale hospital in Harrogate has been offering CT scanning to non-Covid patients since June 4.

It was set up by armed forces and NHS professionals in just three weeks in spring to offer additional treatment facilities for patients from across Yorkshire and the Humber. Staff were trained on site, staying in local hotels, but no Covid patients were ever admitted and the hospital was eventually put on stand-by.

The NHS was not paying any rent for use of Harrogate Convention Centre under the initial contract. It is not yet clear whether rent will now be payable to Harrogate Borough Council, which owns and runs HCC.

Earlier this year, local businesses raised fears about the impact of having the convention centre unable to host events for at least a year. With the local economy heavily reliant on hospitality trade from public and trade events, many hotels, restaurants, bars and cafes could see a significant drop in their annual turnover as they try to recover from the coronavirus lockdown.


Read more:


 

Harrogate Convention Centre ready to re-open in September

Major events could return to Harrogate Convention Centre in the autumn, according to the council, bringing a much-needed boost to the local economy.

The centre is currently occupied by the NHS Nightingale hospital, but with the current contract set to run out at the end of July, discussions are being held with event holders to enable visitors to be welcomed safely..

Harrogate Borough Council, which owns the convention centre, said it is awaiting confirmation from the NHS about whether the contract will continue, but in the meantime is working to ready itself for events to return when government guidance allows.

The convention centre is offering additional space for free, including its landmark auditorium, in order to enable social distancing. A spokesman for the council said:

“Much work will need to be done to return the convention centre back to normal from its role as a Nightingale hospital supporting the national response to the coronavirus pandemic.

“That will involve more than just cleaning.  We will be putting measures in place to ensure future events can go ahead safely and in line with social distancing rules.
“We look forward to welcoming back clients as soon as we are able to.”
A convention centre document shows that measures being planned include social distancing signs and markers, checking the temperature of everyone entering the building, and working with organisers to implement one-way systems around the venue. Male and female toilets could be opened to all visitors at events where there is a heavier attendance by one gender, and a holding area could be introduced outside the venue for queuing.
The venue is also looking at introducing cameras which allow visitor density to be checked to help organisers and convention centre staff to identify any areas where social distancing needs to be enforced. Longer days and extra dates are also being offered to organiser to help spread visitors over a longer period of time.

Harrogate Convention Centre, currently home to a Nightingale hospital, could be opened for events from September

Sandra Doherty, Chief Executive of Harrogate District Chamber Commerce, said events returning to the convention centre would be “fantastic news for Harrogate’s hospitality industry and the town itself”. She added:

“Some accommodation providers had feared the convention centre and exhibition halls might have been out of commission until next spring, which would have been a disaster for many of them.

“Those who rely on the conference and exhibition trade can now look ahead to the rest of the year with a little more certainty. October and November are particular busy months, with the halls hosting a number of major shows, including Country Living and Knitting and Stitching.

“The creation of the Nightingale Hospital in the Convention Centre put Harrogate centre stage in the fight against Covid-19. Being able to host a 500-bed emergency hospital demonstrates its capabilities. We now need to capitalise on this and use it as a powerful selling tool to win new conferences, event and fairs.”

Among those preparing to go ahead are the Knitting & Stitching Show in November and the Country Living Christmas Fair in December, both run by Upper Street Events, which has been liaising with the convention centre. A spokesman said:

“The venue advised us some time back that they would be contracted with the NHS until the end of July. They then plan a deep clean and to complete some development work, they will be operational for ‘normal’ business from September.

“For this reason, we are continuing to plan the events. We are expecting some detail in the next few weeks on how the events industry should unlock and we will then be able to give guidance on visitor and exhibitors expectation, as you will have seen from other industries such as retail.”

Meanwhile, the Homebuilding and Renovating Show, has been postponed from November to February next year, with organisers also planning to return to their normal November dates at the end of 2021.

Comic convention Thought Bubble has also announced that this year’s event will be virtual and it plans to return to the convention centre in 2021.

Staff return to work elsewhere as NHS Nightingale hospital stands ready for first patients

The first patient has yet to be admitted to the NHS Nightingale hospital in Harrogate, as staff trained on site have returned to their usual workplaces or been redeployed in support roles in local NHS trusts.

Following the official opening at the Harrogate Convention Centre facility on Tuesday, the temporary facility remains on stand-by in case existing hospital beds are filled and more capacity is required.

The NHS Nightingale Yorkshire and the Humber is one of seven of its kind around the country, created in addition to 33,000 beds being freed up in existing hospitals, according to NHS England. Its 500 beds will only be used in the event of a surge in demand.

Following the three-week construction beginning in late March, staff began arriving on site on April 15 before the official opening took place on April 21.

An RAF Chinook landed on Harrogate's Stray on Thursday, bringing NHS officials to visit the Nightingale hospital

The RAF Chinook brought senior NHS staff to visit Harrogate’s Nightingale hospital

On Thursday this week, senior NHS staff visited the Nightingale hospital in Harrogate after arriving on the Stray in a Chinook helicopter.

Now, both medical and support staff are working elsewhere until they are called back should the Nightingale hospital need to be opened to patients.

An NHS Nightingale Yorkshire and Humber spokesperson said:

“Staff training has been taking place so that we are ready to receive patients whenever the need arises. Until that time, and as was always planned to be the case, staff will remain with their current employers. For some non-clinical colleagues this will be through supporting local NHS trusts as part of our on-going work against Covid-19.”

Harrogate’s Nightingale hospital officially opened by fundraising army veteran

The Nightingale hospital being created at Harrogate Convention Centre will be officially opened today, with three high profile names set to take part in the ceremony.

Captain Tom Moore, the veteran who has raised more than £27m for NHS Charities Together, will join Health Secretary Matt Hancock and NHS chief executive Simon Stevens via video link this afternoon.

One of seven of its kind around the country, NHS Nightingale Yorkshire and the Humber has been constructed in less than three weeks and will offer 500 beds for coronavirus patients should existing local services be unable to meet demand.

NHS England says it has already freed up 33,000 additional beds and, in an unprecedented deal, has access to 8,000 beds through the independent healthcare sector. As a result, it says, capacity still exists in hospitals but Nightingale hospitals will be ready to take patients if needed.

The opening of the NHS Nightingale in Harrogate

Staff pose for photos at the official opening of the NHS Nightingale hospital in Harrogate

Steve Russell, chief executive of NHS Nightingale Hospital Yorkshire and The Humber, and of Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust, said: “This new NHS Nightingale Hospital – like the others across the country – is an extraordinary achievement, and provides local people and staff with the reassurance that there will be additional beds available if they are required. It is a vital insurance policy, which we hope will not be needed.

“Our doctors, nurses, therapists and other health and social care staff across Yorkshire and the Humber are working incredibly hard to make sure people get the care they need during what is the single greatest challenge in the history of the NHS, but they can’t do it alone. The most important thing remains for the public to continue to follow expert advice and stay at home – reducing the number of people who get the virus, and therefore the need for NHS treatment.”

The huge effort by NHS staff, members of the armed forces and the team at Harrogate Convention Centre was praised by Mr Hancock. He said:

 “I have been incredibly impressed by the sheer dedication, professionalism and altruism of everyone involved in setting up NHS Nightingale Yorkshire and The Humber – from the NHS clinical staff and engineers to the construction workers and military planners.

“It’s an honour to be asked to open this hospital alongside Captain Tom Moore. During this worrying and difficult time for our whole country his phenomenal achievement has reminded us of our common bonds and served to further unite us. My heartfelt thanks also goes out to all the staff who will be working on the ground, providing extra capacity for patients if local hospitals need it.”

 

More:

Performers unite to thank volunteers and Harrogate residents as Nightingale hospital prepares to open

A film thanking those behind the creation of the new Nightingale hospital has been released by Harrogate Convention Centre.

The building has been transformed in less than three weeks by teams from the Army, the NHS, private businesses and the centre itself.

The official opening is expected to take place next week, though it is yet to be confirmed whether and when the first patients will arrive.

Paula Lorimer, director of Harrogate Convention Centre, said: “Thanks go to all my team on site, our contractors, and all who we’ve worked so closely with, including the team at NHS Leeds Teaching Hospital, the Army, and Harrogate Borough Council staff.

“It is no small thing to transform an exhibition and events venue into a fully operational hospital. What’s more, to come into work and work all hours – when the instinct and advice is to stay safe and stay home – is to be commended.”

Reputation for performance

The film emphasises the strong arts, performance and events reputation of Harrogate over the years. Created by Harrogate-based Cause UK, it features famous faces with links to Harrogate expressing their gratitude to those who have helped to build the temporary NHS Nightingale Yorkshire and the Humber.

Among them are presenter Harry Gration, adventurer Bear Grylls, and singer Alfie Boe, who promises to return to perform in Harrogate as soon as possible. Actor Kevin Guthrie also sent his best wishes to the people of Harrogate as they do their bit to support those behind the project and preparing to care for patients.

Its release follows a host of celebrities showing their support for the new hospital in a film created by actor Neil Grainger and Harrogate hotelier Simon Cotton earlier this week.

The centre has been lit blue on Thursdays at 8pm as part of the AEV UK initiative, which has seen over 60 theatres, cathedrals and national landmarks #lightitblue coinciding with the public #clapforourcarers. It has also seen emergency services gather to applaud the staff for their work, supported by neighbours from their doorsteps.

Paula added: “The space that’s been utilised is of course our convention centre and its exhibition space, so we want to thank all our customers from the conference, exhibition and events industry who have been so very supportive while their business is stalled.

“Harrogate Convention Centre staff will continue to support the NHS team and conduct their work in the non-clinical areas of the hospital.”