A senior NHS official in North Yorkshire today insisted “safety is the number one priority” in the coronavirus vaccine rollout after some European countries paused the Oxford-AstraZeneca jab amid concerns over blood clots.
Amanda Bloor, accountable officer of NHS North Yorkshire Clinical Commissioning Group, said while some patients may be feeling uneasy about receiving the jab, regulators had been “absolutely clear” that it is safe as she urged everyone to take up the opportunity as soon as it arises.
Her bid to reassure the public comes after Germany, France, Italy and Spain joined the list of countries to suspend use of the vaccine while they seek further clarification on its safety.
Speaking at a meeting of the North Yorkshire Local Resilience Forum today, Ms Bloor said:
“We understand that this action may be concerning for some people around the safety of the AstraZeneca vaccine but I want to reassure you safety is the number one priority for the NHS.
“The phenomenon of blood clots can occur naturally – they are not an uncommon thing.
“Over 12 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine have now been given across England and the number of blood clots that have been reported after having had the vaccine is not greater than the number that would have occurred naturally.”
The European Medicines Agency previously said there was “no indication” that the jab causes blood clots and is expected to release the final findings of an investigation on Thursday.
Meanwhile, the UK’s medicines watchdog, the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency, has also said that evidence “does not suggest” the jab causes clots.
Ms Bloor added:
“Given this, the NHS will continue to offer the AstraZeneca vaccine and we would urge people to come forward when invited.
“This will give us the greatest chance of keeping the cases of covid at bay within communities and hospitals, and also allowing us to progress along those timings that have been outlined in our roadmap.”
Read more:
- Can Great Yorkshire Show and vaccine site take place together?
- Matt Hancock praises Harrogate’s rapid vaccine response
It was also announced today that more than 188,000 people in North Yorkshire have now received their first coronavirus jab and 13,000 their second.
More than 50,000 of those have been delivered at Harrogate’s mass vaccinations centre at the Great Yorkshire Showground.
Those who are currently being called up for their vaccine include over 50s and those with underlying health conditions between 16 and 60-years-old.
Ms Bloor said the “fantastic” progress in working through the age groups meant North Yorkshire remained on track to meet the government’s target of vaccinating all over 50s by 15 April and every other adult by 31 July.
It comes as the number of people with covid in North Yorkshire’s hospitals has continued to fall with a drop from 129 last week to 96 today. Twenty three of those patients are in intensive care.
In the county’s main hospitals there are currently 13 patients in Harrogate, 25 in York and three in Scarborough.
The weekly rate of coronavirus infections is also continuing on a downward trend with the figure for North Yorkshire standing at 46 cases per 100,000 people and Harrogate 38.
These are both below the national average of 58.
Harrogate people don’t have to travel to York for vaccine, say health bossesPeople in the Harrogate district waiting for a covid vaccine have been told they can wait for an invite to the Great Yorkshire Showground instead of travelling to York.
The Stray Ferret has received numerous messages from readers asking why they had been invited to be inoculated in York when they lived much closer to the showground.
Health bosses in North Yorkshire confirmed yesterday some people had been offered jabs at the national vaccination hub at Askham Bar in York, which opened on Monday.
The hub is run by the NHS nationally and sends invites to people within a 45-minute drive.
People in priority groups for the first round of vaccinations may also be invited through the national booking system to receive the jab at a pharmacy.
Read more:
- All Harrogate district care homes to get vaccine this week
- York vaccination site to offer jabs to people within 45 minutes travel
- Ripon to get its own coronavirus vaccination site
However, Amanda Bloor, accountable officer at North Yorkshire CCG, told a North Yorkshire Resilience Forum yesterday that patients were not obliged to travel to York for the vaccine.
She said:
“The way that the site is operating is that anybody within a 45-minute drive of the site who has not yet received a vaccination through their local site may receive a letter from the national team to book an appointment.
“If you do get an invitation to that site, you can choose to wait and book an appointment at your local vaccination site.”
Currently, the Harrogate district is served by a local site at the Great Yorkshire Showground and a national hub at York.
Ms Bloor announced yesterday that a further site will be opened in Ripon. However, a location has yet to be confirmed.
The York hub was among 10 sites across the country to open on Monday in an effort to ramp up the vaccination programme.
It will operate seven days a week from 8am until 8pm, subject to the supply of vaccinations.
Professor Mike Holmes, a GP in York, told a City of York Council Executive meeting last week that the new centre will offer up to 8,000 extra appointments in the first phase of the expansion of the site.
The centre became the latest vaccine site to open near Harrogate, with another due to be set up at Elland Road stadium in Leeds.
Growing concern in Harrogate district over lack of communication on covid vaccineVulnerable residents in Harrogate have raised concerns over the lack of communication for the coronavirus vaccine, as the centre at the Great Yorkshire Showground appears to have been closed over Christmas.
Several concerned residents contacted the Stray Ferret and reported the centre being closed for multiple days over Christmas and New Year. It remained closed on Sunday and had not reopened this morning.
Some of those who got in touch are in their 80s and said they have not heard anything on when they may get the jab, which they should be eligible for in the first round of vaccinations.
David Hill, 82, a local resident who is expecting to be notified about his vaccination, said his friends were becoming frustrated with the process.
He said most of those aged over 80 have yet to be contacted about their first dose.
He told the Stray Ferret:
“They are not going outside much, they are scared about going out. They are watching the news all day long and waiting for a text for the jab and they are not getting it.
“I do feel that they are getting stressed out beyond words.”
The centre was first opened on December 22, with 83-year-old Anne among the first to be vaccinated and a couple from Bilton receiving the jab a week after their 60th wedding anniversary.
It followed the approval of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, which was rolled out at hospitals and local vaccination sites across the country.
Read more:
- Coronavirus vaccine centre opens in Harrogate
- Health chiefs call for patience on Harrogate district vaccines
- 100-year-old Pateley Bridge woman receives vaccine
The site appealed for volunteers to help marshal the car park and signpost patients. It opened with a morning session from 8.30am until 1.15pm and afternoon vaccinations from 2.30pm to 6.15pm.
But it appears to have been closed over several days at Christmas, with residents reporting the gates shut and no activity at the site. Residents have been contacting the Stray Ferret to ask when and how they will be notified about the jab, and why the vaccination centre appears to be closed.
The Stray Ferret asked North Yorkshire Clinical Commissioning Group to confirm how many days it had been in use over Christmas and why it had been closed, but did not receive a response by the time of publication.
The group has yet to comment publicly at all on the vaccination centre, even to confirm its location – despite extensive signage around the site and some people having been invited for appointments last month.

The vaccine centre at the Great Yorkshire Showground, which opened on December 22.
Last month, local health bosses appealed for people to be patient over the rollout of the vaccine and the lack of information.
Richard Webb, North Yorkshire County Council’s director of health and adult services, said the NHS was working “as quickly as possible” to administer the vaccine and that residents should wait to be contacted by their GP or local NHS trust.
Mr Webb added:
“Our colleagues in the NHS are working around the clock to prepare to receive the latest batches of vaccines. Please be patient, it’s a massive logistical issue.
“They are moving as quickly as possible to get people vaccinated.”
Despite the reassurances, the apparent closure of the centre during the Christmas break has led more people to contact the Stray Ferret. We will continue to ask the CCG for information about what is happening at the site.
NHS England figures up to December 31 show a total of 786,000 people have received the first dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.
However, the data does not include a breakdown by region. It remains unclear how many have been vaccinated in the Harrogate district.
Meanwhile, Matt Hancock, the health secretary, said this morning that 530,000 does of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine will be rolled out at six hospitals this week.
The government has ordered 100 million doses of the vaccine and is planning on delivering two million a week by the middle of January.
Harrogate people urged to be patient when booking GPs amid delaysThe NHS is urging people in the Harrogate district to be patient when booking GP appointments amid concerns some patients’ anger is boiling over at delays.
Health leaders issued the plea today, saying a combination of exceptional demand and staff being affected by normal winter sickness and covid was causing strain.
NHS North Yorkshire Clinical Commissioning Group and NHS Vale of York CCG, which buy health services for the county, acknowledging ‘the wait to speak to a member of a surgery’s reception team in some areas may be a little longer than normal’ and asking people to show ‘patience and kindness’ in the run-up to Christmas.
Dr Charles Parker, NHS North Yorkshire CCG clinical chair, said:
“We recognise how frustrating it can be to be in a call queue but surgery staff are doing their very best in challenging circumstances.
“GP practices have been asked to vaccinate the 50-64 year olds against the flu, to give the covid vaccine, to work in constrained ways to keep patients and staff safe and to do this with higher numbers of staff off work, isolating or ill.
“This is a lot to cope with at the same time. They absolutely do not deserve to be shouted at and abused.”
Read more:
- North Yorkshire GPs begin delivering covid vaccine
- Yorkshire Showground prepares for vaccination programme
Dr Parker added people should not ring GP practices asking about the covid vaccine but instead wait for notification. He added:
“This will help keep the phone lines clear and help practices cope with providing prompt care.”
Local pharmacies can also help with minor ailments, such as coughs, colds, sore throats, tummy trouble and aches and pains.
Patients can also get non-emergency medical advice at all hours by using the NHS 111 service online or over the phone.
Order repeat medication for Christmas by tomorrow, Harrogate district toldHarrogate district residents are being urged to order repeat medication for Christmas by tomorrow to avoid running out.
NHS North Yorkshire Clinical Commissioning Group issued the advice today, saying pharmacy processing times take longer in the run-up to Christmas.
Each year GPs and pharmacies are overwhelmed with patients requesting Christmas medication at the last minute.
Ian Dean, chief executive officer of Community Pharmacy North Yorkshire, which represents NHS pharmacy contractors in the North Yorkshire, said:
“Please only order the items that you need and please do not stockpile medicines.
“Excess supplies of medicines at home can be dangerous and is also wasteful. Once dispensed, medicines cannot be re-used and have to be destroyed.”
The CCG said the quickest way to order a prescription is via the NHS app or GP online services.
Read more:
- Local health officials have said the first covid vaccine will be in the district as early as next week.
- Leeds NHS worker becomes first to receive covid vaccine at closest hospital to Harrogate.
People have also been urged not to stockpile. The CCG said all supply chains were adequately stocked with enough medication for everyone.
The CCG is also encouraging people to stock up on over-the-counter medicines such as paracetamol, ibuprofen, and anti-diarrhoea tablets over the festive season.
Most GP surgeries are closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.