Two girls have been arrested for trespassing on the railway at Harrogate Station and racially abusing a member of staff.
British Transport Police confirmed officers attended the station at 8pm on Monday, May 15, to reports of two teenagers on the track.
The girls, aged 14 and 16, were arrested on suspicion of trespassing and racially abusing a member of staff.
A British Transport Police spokesperson told the Stray Ferret that an investigation into the incident is ongoing.
In response to the incident, Tony Baxter, regional director for Northern, said:
“Last month, two females climbed a security fence from a car park adjoining the railway at Harrogate station and trespassed on the tracks.
“During our attempts to remove the women from what is a very dangerous environment, they gave verbal abuse and made racist remarks towards a member of Northern staff.
“This kind of behaviour is totally unacceptable and the matter was referred to British Transport Police.”
Read more:
- New parking charges at Nidderdale Showground branded ‘unfair’
- Call for speed bumps on Pateley Bridge High Street
- Harrogate rail line ‘close to capacity’, says report
The incident has raised questions about safety after Northern was reported to be planning to remove staff from the ticket gate at the station.
Andrew Whitworth, vice-chairman of the Harrogate Line Supporters Group, said:
“I think the point about the safety benefit of an extra pair of eyes on what is the busiest platform is a very good additional argument for keeping staff there.
“It is of course a busy exit – used by people living on that side of town, by car park users and people who use it as a drop off point (eg taxis are often called there, especially as it’s the main platform for London trains).
“Meanwhile Northern said they were setting barriers to reject any ticket which had been bought with a railcard so that the railcard could be checked – to then remove staff from the barriers would create a lot of inconvenience.
“Northern have argued that closing ticket offices would lead to more staff available to help customers on the platforms – this proposal suggests that they are intent on removing staff everywhere.”
Northern has not commented on the reports that it is considering removing staff from barriers. It also did not respond to questions about the safety implications of removing ticket staff after the incident on May 15.
No trains in Harrogate and Knaresborough tomorrow as strikes hit servicesNo trains will operate through Harrogate and Knaresborough tomorrow as rail workers take strike action.
ASLEF, which represents train drivers, will walkout tomorrow in a dispute over pay and conditions.
It comes as members of the RMT Union are striking today, which has left limited services available.
Tomorrow’s industrial action means no Northern trains will operate on the Leeds to York line. The company has said services will return to normal on Sunday (June 4).
Tricia Williams, chief operating officer at Northern, said:
“We apologise, once again, for the disruption this action by ASELF and the RMT will cause to our customers.
“This latest round of industrial action looks set to hamper people’s opportunity to explore the region during the half-term holidays. It’s understandably very frustrating.
“We all want to see an end to this dispute and the uncertainty that on-going strike action causes to people’s confidence in the railway.”
Read more:
- Bridge near Harrogate closes suddenly after crack appears
- Axed bus service for Ripon and Masham cost £15.57 per passenger
How has Northern performed since government control?
The government takeover of Transpennine Express has shone a light on a similar service closer to Harrogate.
Northern, which operates trains to Harrogate and Knaresborough between Leeds and York, was effectively nationalised back in March 2020.
The then Transport Secretary, Grant Shapps, brought the company under government control from March 1, 2020, amid years of cancellations and delays.
Northern has been operated by the government’s DfT OLR Holdings Ltd for the last three years.
So, what can passengers of Transpennine Express learn from Northern’s performance since then?
Northern performance
The Office of Rail and Road collects annual statistics on the performance of rail companies.
Most recent annual figures, published in July 2022, show Northern managed 465 stations at the end of March 2022 compared to 478 before it was brought under government control.
It also shows that the percentage of trains cancelled was 3.3% compared with 4.1% in the 2019/20.
The figures are caveated by the fact that 2020/21 was effected by the coronavirus pandemic, when fewer people travelled by train and the country was put into lockdown three times.
Read more:
- £11.2m Station Gateway set to go ahead after crucial Harrogate area vote
- Publican says cycle path crackdown in Harrogate is ‘unreasonable’
- Council in discussions with Harrogate Station Gateway contractor
Meanwhile, the percentage of trains on time between April 2021 and March 2022 was 67.0% compared with 76.3% in the previous year and 55.1% in 2019/20.
The number of passenger complaints has also dropped since 2019/20 from 34.249 to 14,379 in 2021/22.
Perhaps the most striking figure is the number of delay compensation claims.
In 2019/20, this stood at 364,689 and fell to 22,836 the following year. In 2021/22, the figure was 98,934.

The number of passenger delay compensation claims at Northern since 2018/19. Data: Office for Rail and Road.
More recent figures show similar results.
In April 2023, 65.6% of trains were on time, while 2,545 services were cancelled in full.
Brian Dunsby, of the Harrogate Line Supporters Group, said the group was pleased with the way that Northern has performed since going under public ownership.
He said:
“We believe that the Harrogate line services have performed very well since it came under public control in 2020 – especially so considering the recent pandemic and the industrial action that followed.
“The services that we lost for six months during the cut backs in 2022 have all been restored and they are very well used.
“The latest timetable just issued starts on May 21, 2023, and it includes all the vital services needed to operate a half-hourly frequency between Harrogate and Leeds and between Harrogate and York – from early morning until late evening. So we are very happy – provided that they do actually operate as planned.
“The three-car Class 170 trains are much larger and more comfortable, much quieter and faster than the previous Class 150 series and the even older Class 140 series trains. The passenger loading does appear to be increasing – but not to the point of being over-crowded.
“We do hope that Northern Trains continues to keep up the latest scheduled timetable.”
Need for a reset
For politicians in the north, the decision to put Transpennine into government hands was necessary.
Lord McLoughlin, chair of Transport for the North, said Transpennine needed “a reset” to improve.
He said:
More rail strikes in Harrogate and Knaresborough this week“We welcome the decision announced by the Secretary of State to bring the contract under Operator of Last Resort (OLR) for TransPennine Express.
“The TfN Board’s position on this issue has been clear for some considerable time, that services need to significantly improve. While we have seen some improvements over recent months, to achieve the performance levels passengers expect and deserve, and that the northern economy needs, there is a need for a resetting of the operation.
”We will now look forward positively to discussing with our members and working with the government to ensure the best way to achieve a service that meets the expectations of those living and working in the north.”
Rail services in Harrogate and Knaresborough are set to be affected by a fresh wave of strikes this week.
Train drivers’ union ASLEF will walk out on Friday, May 12, prompting train operator Northern to cancel all services.
RMT members will strike on Saturday, May 13, leading Northern to operate only hourly services on a small number of key routes between 7am and 7pm.
Further information is available here.
Although there is no strike action on Sunday, May 14, services are expected to start later in the morning than normal due to what Northern has described as “fleet displacement”.
Tricia Williams, chief operating officer at Northern, said:
“It is disappointing to see the return of industrial action to the rail network.
“Whilst all strikes disrupt someone, these particular dates will have a significant impact on people travelling on our network to celebrate the Eurovision Song Contest in Liverpool.
“Given the context in which the UK is hosting this international event – on behalf of the people of Ukraine – this is particularly unfortunate.”

Northern’s guide to upcoming services
A statement on ASLEF’s website blamed the action on “failure of management to offer a fair deal on pay”. It added:
“Most of the drivers have not had a pay increase at all since 2019 and with inflation still well over 10% and the cost of living spiralling, this is not acceptable.”
Further ASLEF action, known as ‘action short of strike’ will take place for five consecutive days from May 15 to 20.
Northern is urging people to check train times before they travel’ as early morning and late night services may be affected.
ASLEF members are also due to walk out on May 31 and June 1 on which there will be no Northern services.
New timetable
This month’s strike action comes ahead of Northern introducing its new summer timetable on Sunday, May 21.
Customers who make regular journeys on the same train times are advised to check before they travel as some services may have been re-timed.
More information is available here.
Read more:
- Almost 500 appointments cancelled at Harrogate hospital due to junior doctors’ strike
- Lib Dem leader describes £11.2m Harrogate Station Gateway as ‘vanity project’
Harrogate train station set to have unmanned exit?
Harrogate train station could be set to have unmanned barriers on the exit leading to East Parade.
The barriers are currently monitored by staff, who help with ticket queries.
But a source contacted the Stray Ferret to say rail operator Northern planned to remove staff from the East Parade exit.
The source was concerned this posed safety risks if people needed to leave the station quickly and would also particularly inconvenience disabled people who require help at the barriers.

The Stray Ferret asked Northern if and when it planned to implement the new system and what response it had to the concerns.
Tony Baxter, regional director for Northern, said in a statement:
“We’re always looking at ways to improve the customer experience and passenger flow across our station estate, including Harrogate.
“Any improvement plans are always subject to rigorous safety and accessibility checks.”
Northern did not respond to a further email seeking clarification on when any changes would be implemented.
We also asked rail union the RMT if it had any concerns but it did not issue a response.
Read more:
- Don’t watch explicit videos on commute home from work, says Northern Rail
- Almost 500 appointments cancelled at Harrogate hospital due to junior doctors’ strike
Fare dodging falls on Northern trains after fines increase fivefold
Rail operator Northern has issued 10% fewer penalty fares in the first month since the government increased the fine to £100.
The government raised the penalty fare from £20 to £100 on January 23 amid concerns the figure was too low and was no longer an effective deterrent to fare evaders.
In the month since then Northern, which runs services passing through Harrogate and Knaresborough, has issued penalty fares to 3,831 people caught travelling without a valid ticket or ‘promise to pay’ notice, compared to 4,261 in the same period last year.
Northern, which provides 2,500 services a day to more than 500 stations in northern England, revealed adult passengers accounted for 81% of the penalty fares issued, with under 18s making up the remaining 19%.
Mark Powles, commercial and customer director at Northern, said:
“A sudden 10% reduction in the number of penalty fares being issued would suggest the increase to £100 has been effective in terms of a deterrent. Of course, this is only the first month – but it is definitely a step in the right direction.
“Upwards of 95% of our customers do the right thing and buy a ticket before they travel – and having invested in the largest network of digital ticket infrastructure of any train operator in the country, Northern has made it easier than ever to buy a ticket via our app, website or one of more than 600 ticket machines across the network. There really is no excuse.”
Industry body, the Rail Delivery Group estimates that every year around £240 million is lost through fare evasion on British railways.
The £100 penalty fare forms part of The Railways (Penalty Fares) (Amendment) Regulations 2022. Penalty fares are reduced to £50 if paid within 21 days.
Read more:
- Man accused of sex offences at Harrogate train station
- Council bids for £3m for cycling projects in Harrogate and Knaresborough
No trains in Harrogate district today amid further rail strikes
Commuters in the Harrogate district are set for further disruption this morning as no trains will operate due to strike action.
Members of train drivers’ union the Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen (ASLEF) and the RMT union are set to walk out today in a dispute over pay and conditions.
Northern, which operates services between Leeds and York, has confirmed no trains will run throughout the day.
The operator added that some services on Saturday (February 4) after the strikes may be also be affected.
A statement from Northern urged passengers to check services before they travel this weekend.
Meanwhile, LNER has also told commuters to check services before travelling during the strikes.
Read more:
- Union predicts some Harrogate district schools will close due to strike
- Nurses and ambulance workers set to strike in Harrogate on same day
Besides train drivers, nurses and ambulance workers are set to strike in the Harrogate district on Monday.
Unless strikes are averted, the Royal College of Nursing plans to carry out two days of industrial action on February 6 and 7.
Unite has scheduled another ambulance strike in Harrogate on the same day.
Harrogate train passengers braced for further strikes next weekTrain passengers in the Harrogate district are set for two days with no services next week due to strike action.
Members of train drivers’ union the Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen (ASLEF) are set to walk out on Wednesday and Friday in a dispute over pay and conditions.
Northern, which operates services between Leeds and York, has confirmed no trains will run on the days of strike action.
The company has also urged passengers not to travel as no rail replacement services will be operated.
It said in a statement:
“There will be no rail replacement buses on strike days for Northern services and some Northern stations may be closed or have reduced hours due to the limited staffing and services.
“Advanced tickets have been withdrawn from sale for strike day.”
The operator added that some services on the day after strikes may be also be affected.
Meanwhile, LNER, which runs services to London King’s Cross from Harrogate, said it would be running a limited timetable on the days of strike action and urged passengers to check their journeys before travelling.
Read more:
- Union predicts some Harrogate district schools will close due to strike
- Nurses and ambulance workers set to strike in Harrogate on same day
Union bosses said the planned walkouts were a result of a pay proposal made by train operators which it said could not be accepted as it represented a “real terms pay cut” amid soaring inflation.
Mick Whelan, general secretary of ASLEF, said:
“The proposal is not and could not ever be acceptable but we are willing to engage in further discussions within the process that we previously agreed.”
Besides train drivers, teachers, nurses and ambulance workers are all set to strike in the Harrogate district in the next two weeks.
No normal service on Harrogate and Knaresborough trains until January 9Rail operator Northern has warned of ongoing disruption until January 9.
The company, which operates the Leeds to York line that passes through Harrogate and Knaresborough, has published a calendar highlighting its travel guidance to customers over Christmas and the New Year.
It shows the next day of normal service is not for another 21 days.

Northern has blamed the situation predominantly on the RMT union, even though it only has strikes planned from January 3 to 7. However, an RMT national overtime ban from December 18 to January 2 has also affected services.
The union has accused the government of interfering in negotiations with Network Rail to reach a settlement on jobs, pay and conditions.
Tricia Williams, chief operating officer at Northern, said:
“The main cause of the disruption remains industrial action by the RMT union and we can only apologise to our customers for the inconvenience it will cause to their journeys.”
Northern’s new timetable came into effect just before this extended period of disruption, so it is advising customers to use the new Check My Timetable feature on its website to see the changes specific to their local station.
Northern is the second largest train operator in the UK, with nearly 2,500 services a day to more than 500 stations across the North of England.
Read more:
- Long-term roadworks to affect villages near Knaresborough
- Harrogate hospital pledges ‘minimal disruption’ as nurses’ strike looms
No Harrogate and Knaresborough trains for five days as walkout begins
No trains will run from Harrogate and Knaresborough to Leeds and York for five days this week.
RMT Union members will walkout from today until Saturday (December 17) in a dispute over pay and conditions.
The strikes will be the latest to hit the Harrogate district rail network this year.
Northern, which operates services from Harrogate and Knaresborough towards Leeds and York, has warned passengers not to travel as no replacement bus services will be running.
Services will resume on Sunday (December 18), but Northern has urged passengers to check before they travel.
Meanwhile, no LNER services from Harrogate to London King’s Cross will run until Sunday.

A table issued by Northern warning passengers of days with industrial action.
It said in a statement:
“On strike days, only travel by rail if necessary and if you do travel, expect severe disruption and plan ahead – especially the first and last trains of the day.
“If you do decide to travel, there will be very limited services running across the whole rail network so remember to check your entire journey as other train service providers may be affected.
“There will be no rail replacement buses on strike days for Northern services and some Northern stations may be closed or have reduced hours due to the limited staffing and services.”
Read more:
- Northern bans e-scooters, hoverboards and e-skateboards on all trains
- Harrogate train station becomes mobility scooter-friendly