One of the last veteran trees of the Royal Forest of Knaresborough crashed to the ground yesterday, further shortening the dwindling list of ancient survivors.
The oak tree, in a field off Hall Lane at Blubberhouses, is believed to be around 400 years old, meaning it was mature even when the royal hunting forest was dismembered and sold off in 1770.
Hollowed out and rotting at its base, it is thought to have fallen victim to the recent dry weather.
The tree is included in the Ancient Tree Inventory, which is maintained by the Woodland Trust, and is listed as measuring 5.67m (18ft 7in) around its trunk.
David Rhodes, a local historian who has studied the Royal Forest of Knaresborough, said:
“The only trees I know of that are older than this one are at Ripley, where some are over 700 years old. So it may not be the oldest tree, but it certainly is – or was – one of the oldest remaining from the ancient Royal Forest of Knaresborough.”

Fallen giant: the collapsed oak tree.
The Royal Forest of Knaresborough lasted for over 600 years. Created in the 12th century, it was used as one of the monarch’s many hunting grounds and was a favourite of Henry II and King John. It stretched from Knaresborough, right across what is now Harrogate, and up well into the Washburn Valley.
The tree, a common or pedunculate oak (Quercus robur), stood on land owned by Yorkshire Water and leased to a tenant farmer. Contractors rerouting the A59 around Kex Gill had fenced it off to ensure that its roots were not disturbed by digging, and it is not thought that the roadworks affected it.
The Stray Ferret contacted Yorkshire Water to find out its plans for the remains of the tree, but has not yet received a response.
Read more:
- Autumn events focus on ancient trees in Ripon’s Skell Valley
- Knaresborough Forest and Long Lands Common campaigns to join forces
- Knaresborough forest campaign secures 61 acres from development
Harrogate residents demand action after tree crashes into garages — again
Residents on a Harrogate street are demanding action after a mighty oak tree crashed down into neighbouring gardens twice in the space of a year.
The multi-trunk oak forms part of a row of mature trees overhanging gardens at Sherwood Drive in Hookstone.
One of its three trunks splintered in July last year, destroying the fence and badly damaging the garage roof belonging to Keith Crawford.
The incident prompted Mr Crawford and several neighbours to urge North Yorkshire Council, which owns the land the trees are on, to undertake pruning to prevent a repeat.
But nothing was done and a second trunk from the oak fell into the garage roofs of two properties alongside Mr Crawford’s at 4am on Sunday morning.

Trees overhanging back gardens on Sherwood Drive.
He said the state of the trees posed a risk to people and property that the council had failed to act upon.
“It took until December to sort out my garage and fence and now it’s happened again to my neighbours.
“The trees are just not being managed properly. People are scared.”
Mr Crawford said he couldn’t recall any maintenance taking place during the 17 years he’d lived on Sherwood Drive and the trees were now far too big for residents to attempt to prune.
Christine Amour, who lives next door to Mr Crawford, was woken on her birthday last weekend by the sound of the tree crashing down. She said:
“I was so upset, I was shaking. I just stood on the steps of my back door saying ‘oh no, it’s happened again’.”
The Stray Ferret met other neighbours at Sherwood Drive last night who were equally concerned about the situation. They said their concerns to the council had also gone unanswered.

Keith and Christine Amour besides the fallen trunk, with their homes in the background.
The trees are situated on a cycleway and footpath that leads to Panhandle Park so they also pose a risk to passers-by.
We asked the council how many residents had complained about the trees on Sherwood Drive, why it had not taken action and whether it would now.
Michael Leah, assistant director for environment at the council, said:
“We visited Sherwood Drive on Monday in order to assess the situation following the adverse weather over the weekend.
“We were initially denied access to neighbouring properties and so returned on Tuesday and held further discussions with residents.
“As a result, we were able to get onto the property directly affected and remove tree debris. We completed this work on Tuesday afternoon. There was no visible damage to the property itself.”
Mr Leah added:
“Over the next three months, we will be carrying out work in the area to thin some trees that are in a poor condition and reduce more overhanging branches.
“Residents can take action to prune trees themselves in order to prevent them reaching the stage where we need to step in. This should be done carefully and with due regard to health and safety. If in any doubt, please call in professional tree surgeons to carry out such work.”
Read more:
- Yorkshire Water pays £235,000 for illegal Harrogate sewage discharge
- By-election could give Harrogate district its first ever Labour MP