‘We must shift the narrative around obesity’, says Birstwith charity directorHarrogate council launches free 12-week weight loss programme for men

Harrogate Borough Council‘s leisure company has launched a free weight management programme to help men get active, eat well and lose weight.

Brimhams Active has been running the Fit4Life initiative in the Harrogate district for some time.

But this week it has launched a free programme for men-only funded by North Yorkshire County Council.

The 12-week programme starts on Monday, March 28 and takes places once a week at Jennyfield Styan Community Centre in Harrogate from 7.30pm to 9pm.

The first half of the session will involve an exercise class followed by nutrition advice.

Brimhams Active’s staff will teach residents about food choices to change their current behaviour and how to develop a healthy relationship with food.


Read more:


The programme will provide information about goal setting and eating awareness, dieting and myth bunking meal planning, portion sizes and shopping guidance.

To join, you must be a male aged 18 and over and have a body mass index over 30 kg/m2 (25 BMI if you have co-morbidities or are from BAME group), be willing to commit to losing five per cent of body weight and have no uncontrolled co-morbidities.

Changing lifestyles

Matthew O’Sullivan, health and wellbeing development officer at Brimhams, said:

“Fit4Life is a fantastic weight management programme and we’ve had some really successful stories of people losing weight but more importantly completely changing their lifestyles for the better.

“We know men might be reluctant to attend a mixed Fit4Life session so have decided to launch a specific session on a Monday evening in Harrogate that will be really informal and a chance to take part in an exercise class as well as learn about to achieve healthy weight loss.”

To book a place, call 01423 556106 or email active.health@brimhamsactive.co.uk.

Pandemic sees increase in number of Harrogate district free school meals

An extra 350 children in Harrogate district secondary schools have become eligible for free school meals since the coronavirus pandemic began, figures reveal.

A total of 1,143 children were eligible in October 2021, compared with 796 in January 2020.

This means almost 1 in 10 children in the district are now eligible for free school meals. The national average is around 2 in 10.

The Stray Ferret obtained the figures from a freedom of information request to North Yorkshire County Council, the education authority for the district.

To qualify for free school meals a parent must apply to the council with evidence that they are receiving a benefit, such as child tax credit, income support or universal credit.

The issue of free school meals was highlighted following a campaign by Manchester United and England footballer Marcus Rashford.


Read more:


Speaking at last week’s Harrogate and Knaresborough Area Constituency Committee, Helen Ingle, health improvement manager at NYCC, said the council was trying to encourage parents of key stage 1 age children to take up free school meals.

If a child is in reception, year one or year two they are automatically entitled to a free school meal.

Ms Ingle also said schools in the district had reported an increase in obesity since the pandemic began.

She said:

“[Covid] has had a massive impact on levels of overweight and obesity, we’re doing a lot of work around that. Schools are very concerned about healthy eating levels in schools and have noticed a change in children’s weight and eatings habits since covid.”

Harrogate district schools see ‘large rise’ in obesity since covid

Schools in the Harrogate district have raised concerns about increasing rates of childhood obesity since the start of covid.

A report to be discussed by North Yorkshire County Council‘s Harrogate and Knaresborough area constituency committee tomorrow says there has been “a decline in the healthiness and quality of packed lunches and snacks being brought into schools”.

It adds that “many schools” in North Yorkshire have raised concerns about covid’s impact on children’s eating habits and obesity levels.

Eighty percent of respondents to a council food in schools survey in October last year wanted the healthiness of food in school to improve.


Read more:


New guidance to schools

In response to the concerns, the county council has developed a new leaflet for parents and carers preparing packed lunches.

The leaflet provides healthy alternatives and is currently rolling out in schools as part of a pilot scheme.

The council also runs various other healthy eating initiatives, such as encouraging healthier catering in schools, using free range eggs in schools and ensuring school meals are free from undesirable additives, colouring and sweeteners.

The report says:

“There is a lot of work currently underway across North Yorkshire to promote healthy eating with children, young people and families. Much of this work is linked to efforts to tackle childhood obesity but of course, good nutrition is about much more than just healthy weight management.

“In terms of childhood obesity, North Yorkshire’s rates have seen a large increase since the start of the covid pandemic, reflecting the alarming levels of around a 4.5% national increase in obesity rates.

“Furthermore, many North Yorkshire schools have reported concerns around the detrimental impact that the pandemic has had on children’s weight and eating habits.

“Schools have seen a decline in the healthiness and quality of packed lunches and snacks being brought into schools, and have requested support in terms of improving standards and with bringing the quality and healthiness of their own food provision and catering back to pre-pandemic levels.”