Height restrictor installed in Knaresborough car park

A height restrictor costing £3,250 has been installed in the car park at Conyngham Hall in Knaresborough.

Motorhomes, campervans and caravans often park at the back of the car park overnight even though signs say this is prohibited.

About a dozen vehicles pitched up and stayed for three nights last month.

Cllr Matt Walker, a Liberal Democrat who represents Knaresborough West, said it was the largest encampment he was aware of and renewed his calls for North Yorkshire Council  to clampdown on overnight stays.

The council, which owns the large long-stay car park, has now responded — and pledged more changes to the site.

Last month’s encampment

 

The road leading to the back of the car park.

Steve Brown, the council’s head of parking services, said:

“We are committed to improving the security at Conyngham Hall car park and have recently installed a height restrictor to deter campervans, caravans and illegal encampments.

“During the winter months we will be installing a new pay machine to provide better service to the public as well as a CCTV camera which will provide additional security for the new machine.

“They will be in place for its reopening in the spring.”

Cllr Walker praised the council for responding quickly to his latest request for measures to prevent encampments in the car park.


Read more:


 

Councillor calls for clampdown on overnight parking at Knaresborough’s Conyngham Hall

A Knaresborough councillor has called for a clampdown on overnight parking at Conyngham Hall.

About a dozen vehicles pitched up at the back of the car park and stayed for three nights a week ago.

Signs say overnight parking is prohibited but the rule is often flouted.

Conyngham Hall car park last weekend.

Cllr Matt Walker, a Liberal Democrat who represents Knaresborough West, said the latest encampment, which he reported to a council officer, was the largest he was aware of.

He said:

“I have on several occasions asked for the gate at the end to have a padlock due to overnight stays of motorhomes.

“There are always excuses and reasons why not.”

Cllr Walker says the gate should be locked at night.

Cllr Walker said the cost of moving on vehicles and cleaning up afterwards could cost taxpayers thousands of pounds.

He added:

“Residents let me know every few weeks over the summer that people are camping in their vans and often leave it a mess, The council haven’t listened so far.”

The Stray Ferret asked the council what action it took against last week’s encampment and why it didn’t lock the gates as suggested by Cllr Walker.


Read more:


Steve Brown, the council’s head of parking services, said:

“We started the protocols needed to remove the encampment as soon as we were made aware of their arrival in Conyngham Hall car park.

“However, the process takes time and the travellers moved on by Monday. Our environment team cleaned-up any rubbish left behind.”

“This car park is open 24 hours a day.”