Harrogate and Knaresborough MP Andrew Jones has called for police to continue providing traffic management for Remembrance Day parades.
North Yorkshire Police confirmed yesterday it will no longer close roads or manage traffic for Remembrance Day parades in the county.
Knaresborough Royal British Legion has said its annual parade along the High Street is in jeopardy as a result of the decision, which could threaten other local parades on November 12 and in subsequent years.
Elliot Foskett, North Yorkshire’s assistant chief constable, said the decision was based on national guidance that will allow police to focus on fighting crime.
Conservative MP Mr Jones today called for a rethink. He said:
“This decision from North Yorkshire Police has taken everyone by surprise. I am both surprised and disappointed.
“Every year in Harrogate, Knaresborough, Starbeck and further afield hundreds line the streets to watch parades to war memorials. Simply put, it is part of the fabric and tradition of our community remembrance.
“I have contacted Zoë Metcalfe, police, fire and crime commissioner, asking her to speak with the leadership at North Yorkshire Police and reinstate the force’s assistance with closing roads to allow parades to take place.”
Lib Dem leader criticises ‘outrageous’ decision
Councillor Pat Marsh, the Liberal Democrat leader in Harrogate and Knaresborough, described the police’s decision as “outrageous”.
She has also written to Conservative Ms Metcalfe.

Cllr Pat Marsh
Cllr Marsh’s letter says:
“This seems a ridiculous decision and I really hope you reverse it, nobody I have spoken to can understand the logic behind your decision.
“Please can you reconsider this so we can all pay our respects safely to those who gave their lives for our freedom?
“How will we be able to pay our respects to those who gave their lives so we can live freely today? This proposal is outrageous and I wonder where else in the country that people are not bring kept safe as they pay their respects to these very brave individuals who gave their lives.”
Read more:
- Local Remembrance Sunday parades under threat after police withdraw traffic help
- North Yorkshire Police confirms it will no longer manage Remembrance Day traffic
Ripon’s saint will still have his day
The covid lockdown is gradually easing, but Ripon’s annual celebration of St Wilfrid and his legacy will be scaled back for a second year.
St Wilfrid’s Day is one of the city’s biggest occasions of the year, marked with events and a large procession pre-pandemic. Thousands of people would line the city streets and congregate on Market Square.
Organisers are planning for a smaller celebration this year while looking to use 2021 as a platform to promote activities next year and beyond.
As well as being the 1,350th anniversary of St Wilfrid founding a church on the site of Ripon Cathedral, 2022 marks the Queen’s platinum jubilee.
The St Wilfrid’s Procession committee is in discussions with Ripon City Council about having a presence on Market Square over the weekend of 31 July and 1 August.
Committee secretary Sue Simms told the Stray Ferret:
“We did not feel running a large-scale procession this year would be a responsible choice.
“The situation was complicated by the fact that we would have needed to start applying for road closures back in October.
“Because of the coronavirus crisis, we couldn’t plan ahead with any degree of confidence at that time.”

As part of last year’s scaled-back St Wilfrid’s Day celebrations, the Ripon Morris Band performed at social distance in Church Lane.
The procession committee is planning for actors dressed as St Wilfrid and monks to take the traditional walk around Ripon, along with a pony or donkey on Saturday July 31.
It will end on Market Square, where the council is planning to stage a weekend of activities and entertainment for residents and visitors.
Ms Simms said:
“We hope to have space on Market Square to promote and celebrate our saint’s day.
“The objective is to build interest in taking part as entrants and organisers of the procession in future years.”
Last year celebrations of the city’s patron saint were limited to the St Wilfrid trail, with Ms Simms’ husband Paul, dressed as St Wilfrid, walking the route normally taken by a St Wilfrid actor on horseback, along with floats, Ripon City Band and others.
Across the city, businesses and residents maintained the tradition by putting St Wilfrid displays in windows and gardens.
Read more:
Looking forward, Ms Simms would like to hear from anybody wanting to become involved in the 2022 procession. She can be contacted on 07964854006.
In past years, pubs, schools, churches, friends, businesses, shops, streets, social, children’s and sports clubs have taken part.
Harrogate district to mark Remembrance Day at home this year
Harrogate district organisations are urging people to commemorate Remembrance Day at home this year after covid restrictions forced traditional annual services and parades to be cancelled.
The Poppy Appeal, organised by the Royal British Legion, will continue to go ahead but collections and activities have been disrupted by social distancing requirements.
Remembrance Sunday activities on November 8 have also been affected, forcing local branches of the Royal British Legion and other groups involved to adapt.
The Knaresborough branch of the Royal British Legion is asking residents to hold their own two-minute silences at home as the church service and parade through the town will not go ahead.
David Houlgate, vice-chair of the branch, said:
“Arrangements are being made to lay wreaths safely but townsfolk are discouraged this year from attending at the war memorial.
“We are having to limit the number of collection boxes we can distribute this year to 20% of our usual number of boxes.”
Despite the limitations, the branch is asking people to continue to support the Poppy Appeal, as funds help servicemen and women, veterans and their families.
Read more:
- Image Gallery of prominent locations in Harrogate and Ripon turning red as they’re covered in knitted poppies ahead of Remembrance Day.
- Ripon’s branch of the Royal British Legion receives a donation from the city council during a difficult year for fundraising.
The service at Harrogate war memorial has also been cancelled. The Harrogate Mayor, councillor Stuart Martin, said:
“I urge people across the district to observe the national two minutes silence with your family and show your support for the armed forces community by displaying a poppy in your window.”

The annual remembrance service at Stonefall Cemetery has been cancelled. Credit: Guy Wilson
The annual service at Harrogate’s Stonefall Cemetery, organised by Harrogate Brigantes Rotary Club, has also been cancelled.
A private wreath laying and blessing ceremony has been organised instead.
At least 13 wreaths will be laid on behalf of British and Commonwealth forces. Event co-ordinator Guy Wilson said:
“While this year we cannot meet together to remember those who gave their lives for us and the freedoms we now enjoy, we nevertheless recognise that the act of remembrance is important and will see that it is done with proper respect. Over 1,000 lives given for us lie in Stonefall. We will be there to honour them all on November 8.”
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission, which maintains Stonefall, has launched a tool that allows people to find out about the lives of local servicemen and woman who died in battle.
Barry Murphy, CWGC’s director general, said:
“This year has been like no other, and sadly this will have an impact on the usual traditions around Remembrance Sunday.”
“Where an event is planned well and follows the covid-safe rules and the government advice, we have no objections.
“Some events will have already taken the initiative to modify or cancel and we follow the organisers’ better judgement on these matters.”