Harrogate man forced to miss funerals hits out at Downing Street parties

A Harrogate man who could only watch the funerals of his friends online has hit out at Prime Minister Boris Johnson over reports he attended a party around the same time.

Patrick Milne could not attend the funeral of a friend’s child who died with cancer at a young age or a colleague who died from an accident at home during the initial lockdown in 2020.

The UK was under strict rules at the time. People could only meet in pairs outdoors and had to stay two metres apart.

Around that time, according to a report from ITV News, the PM’s Principal Private Secretary Martin Reynolds sent out an invitation for drinks in the Number 10 garden to more than a hundred employees.

The PM Boris Johnson allegedly attended that party along with his wife Carrie Johnson.

There has been considerable coverage of the issue since the Daily Mirror claimed on November 30 that the PM and his staff broke coronavirus rules by attending parties at Number 10 in the run-up to Christmas in 2020.


Read more:


Mr Milne told the Stray Ferret:

“The numbers of people who could attend funerals were severely limited so only close family could attend. They also had to be completed in around 15 minutes.

“So it was just too much to see more evidence of these parties at Downing Street. It is even more difficult to listen to the tsunami of lies from Boris Johnson and the cabinet.

“People are angry because it is clear there was one rule for them and no rules for those in power. It’s painful to see.”

He also sent his concerns to Harrogate and Knaresborough MP Andrew Jones and urged him to speak out on the matter. Mr Jones has not yet responded to Mr Milne or a request for comment by the Stray Ferret.

Mr Jones said in early December that clarity was needed and called for the official report to be published as soon as possible.

Update: During an emergency debate in Parliament today, Mr Jones asked paymaster general Michael Ellis for a specific date as to when the report will be published. He was only told that it would be a “swift” investigation.

Grantley Hall invites local residents to go off-piste at new Alpine dining retreat

It might not be the Alps, but Grantley Hall is set to bring a touch of “chalet chic” to the district with the launch of its new winter drinking and dining venue this weekend.

The luxury hotel, near Ripon, has transformed its summer marquee into a winter wonderland – complete with cozy blankets and sheepskins, twinkling lights, vintage skis and sledges and festive décor.

It is hoped Après at The Orchard will appeal to residents in the local area, rather than just hotel guests, who can combine it with a stroll around the stunning grounds.

Sarah Baines, Grantley Hall’s marketing manager, said:

We want people in the local community to feel like we have an open door and it’s not just an exclusive venue you can’t come and visit.”

Sneak peak

We were invited along for a sneak peak at the new Alpine-inspired winter retreat ahead of a glitzy après-ski night party on Saturday and its launch to the public on Sunday.

If you haven’t visited Grantley yet, it is definitely one for the list. The staff could not be more accommodating and it really is a stunning hotel.

The transformation from a whimsical summer escape to a snuggly winter retreat had just begun when I was shown into The Orchard, a sailcloth marquee located on the West Terrace, boasting sweeping views of the gardens.

The Orchard at Grantley Hall.

Due to an event taking place earlier in the week, the small team was tasked with decorating the venue in just two days. This is no mean feat as it’s a big space. For their sake, I was relieved to hear they didn’t have to cart the huge olive trees out of the marquee, but instead were going to adorn them with twinkling lights.

Up for the challenge

Although a lot of work is involved in the glitzy transformation, the enthusiastic staff were completely up for the challenge. I have no doubt it will look incredible for the glamorous launch party on Saturday, which has around 100 people on the guest list.

Sarah said:

“It’s all very exciting. The thought process for The Orchard was built on the back of al fresco dining, which came on the back of the pandemic.

“We just saw a real opportunity to create a more creative outdoor dining experience. You can just throw the sides open and walk out into the grounds.

“We had the conversation internally about what do we do about it in winter. The Orchard has got a following now and it’s a really nice space and is something we didn’t want to lose.

“This way we can run it all the way through the year.”

Visitors and hotel guests will be able to enjoy some real winter treats from an Alpine-inspired menu including boozy hot chocolates, warming cocktails, a traditional cheese fondue and tartiflette. There is also a melting Valrhona hot chocolate cake with malted milk chocolate sauce and homemade marshmallows on there, which is obviously first on my list.

Cheese fondue for two.

Sarah said:

“It’s a lot more casual than the rest of the hotel. We really do now have something for everyone.

“The menu is a real mix and it includes small plates, nibbles and flatbreads.

“You can splash out and go for it and make it a full celebration, or you can simply come for a flatbread and a coffee. You could even just come for drinks and have a couple of hot chocolates and a wander around the grounds.”

Since opening its doors in 2019, Grantley Hall has quickly earned a reputation as a top destination for the rich and famous.

It is a stately countryside stay, a glitzy resort, a wellness retreat and a foodie haven. And it is without doubt the place to be you want to show off on Instagram.


Read More: 


The 18th-century mansion, which has been dubbed by guests as “The Ritz of Ripon”, opened as a hotel after a £70m refurbishment.

It boasts 47 rooms, four restaurants, including one with a Michelin star, and 30 acres of sweeping wooded parkland and grounds.

Booking and opening hours

Après at The Orchard is open to the public from Sunday, November 7 until the end of March 2022.

The opening times are:

Bookings can be made online here, via email at dine@grantleyhall.co.uk or phone 01765 620070.

Retirement party between the tills for Asda colleagues of 33 years

Two colleagues who started working at Asda Harrogate at the same time 33 years ago have shared a retirement party between their favourite tills.

Sheila Fitzsimmons and Jean Lofthouse always served next to each other on checkouts five and six.

Their Asda colleagues decorated the tills with balloons and bunting for the celebration marking their departures.

Debs Harpin, customer trading manager at Asda Harrogate, said:

“Sheila and Jean were so popular with colleagues and customers, and had a lot of regulars who they had a good rapport with. They were always so friendly and happy and never had the Monday morning blues!”

Customers who had got to know Ms Fitzsimmons and Ms Lofthouse over the years brought in gifts and colleagues came in on their day off to wish the pair good luck.

Neil Barker, a service host at Harrogate Asda who worked with the pair for about five years, said:

“I’d really like to wish them good luck and thank them for everything they’ve done for us. It was really nice to give them a proper send off, they’ve been here a long time so it was great to make them feel appreciated.”


Read More:


 

No coronavirus fines despite huge party on the Stray

The police did not hand out any fines when people partied on the Stray last week, it was revealed today.

The easing of lockdown combined with good weather led to large gatherings.

Despite evidence many people broke social distancing rules, North Yorkshire Police told a press briefing today it did not issue any fines.

Under current rules, people can only gather in groups of six. But this was clearly being flouted on Harrogate’s Stray last week.

Police were seen interacting with people on the Stray but did not disperse the crowds.


Read more:


Since March 29, when lockdown restrictions eased, North Yorkshire Police has handed out 11 fines. Ten were for indoor gatherings in Scarborough.

Superintendent Mike Walker, coronavirus response lead at North Yorkshire Police, told today’s press briefing of North Yorkshire Local Resilience Forum:

“No fines were handed out but I do have confidence in our officers and PSCOs that if fines were the proportionate response then they would have been issued.

“So outdoor gatherings are governed by the rule of six or two households. These can take place in public spaces or private gardens with social distancing rules in place.

“There are a number of exceptions that we have to take into consideration, including that two households may comfortably exceed six people and that linked households for care and support only count as one household.

“Clearly the continued ‘four Es’ approach is vital to help our officers and PSCOs determine whether there has been a breach in the regulations.

“But my message to the public as the weather gets better as we saw on the Stray that day, people either plan or spontaneously go to public outdoor spaces.

“If you do go to public outdoor spaces you need to make your assessment when you get there as to whether it is safe for you and your family to be there. So that’s the expectation as that is common sense.”

People gathering on the Stray last week.

Police officers engaged with those breaking social distancing rules on the Stray but were unable to disperse the crowds.

Some residents were left with a sense of deja vu, as the heavily littered scene was almost an exact replica of what happened on the Stray on various occasions last summer.

Deja vu on the Stray, as party ends with litter

Large groups of young people partied on the Stray in Harrogate yesterday, leaving council workers and volunteers to clean up this morning.

Many people enjoyed the first day of warm weather since lockdown restrictions were eased.

But some broke social distancing rules and left a huge amount of litter.

Under current rules, people can only gather in groups of six.

But for much of the afternoon yesterday there were groups of about 40 in the Tewit Well area of the Stray.

Police officers engaged with those breaking social distancing rules but were unable to disperse the crowds.

Although many people left rubbish lying around, some was left by the bins.

Takeaway boxes, leftover food, beer bottles and cans were among the items discarded.

Some residents were left with a sense of deja vu, as the scene on was almost an exact replica of what happened on the Stray on various occasions last summer.

A lone council worker does his best to clean up the mess.

Many residents have inundated the Stray Defence Association with complaints about the mess left behind last night.

Judy d’Arcy Thompson, chair of the SDA, told the Stray Ferret:

“Wonderful that people are enjoying the Stray, however what a great shame that so many have left their mess, litter and bottles etc behind.

“It is very simple to take it to a bin or home. Clearly they have no consideration for other Stray users or the wildlife on the Stray for which litter can be a lethal hazard.

“Our Stray was a very sad sight this morning.”


Read more: