Sgt Paul Cording on his career – and his future beyond the policeHarrogate police officer Paul Cording bids emotional farewellCar on roof after two-vehicle collision in Minskip

A car flipped onto its roof following a two-vehicle collision at Minskip, near Boroughbridge, this afternoon.

Roads policing sergeant Paul Cording alerted people on social media at 1.20pm about the incident on the A6055, which is the main road through Minskip.

Sgt Cording said one person involved in the collision was taken to hospital with “minor injuries”.

The road reopened at 1.47pm.

No further details, including the status of the other vehicle and passengers, have been revealed.


Read more:


 

Harrogate police officer receives British Empire Medal

A Harrogate police officer was awarded a British Empire Medal today in recognition of his services to policing and charity.

Sergeant Paul Cording was honoured in the king’s birthday honours list in June.

Today, Sgt Cording received his medal from the Lord-Lieutenant of North Yorkshire, Jo Ropner at her Camp Hill Estate near Bedale.

Sgt Cording joined North Yorkshire Police in 2001 and moved to the roads policing department in 2010.

He has since been called to over 100 fatal road traffic collisions and become well-known for tweeting about life as a roads policing sergeant in North Yorkshire.  He has also featured on Channel 5’s Traffic Cops.

Sgt Cording was nominated for the award by the chief constable’s office.

In a social media post, Sgt Cording said:

“What an amazing and humbling experience to be in a room with such incredible people.

“My thanks to North Yorkshire Lieutenancy and Jo Ropner for presenting my award and thank you to everyone that has and continues to support me.”

In another post on X, Sgt Cording described his anticipation for the awards ceremony as:

“Proud moment in the Cording household if not a little bit overwhelmed by it all.”

Besides his police work, Sgt Cording frequently supports charities.

He visits local schools to educate young people and children on road traffic safety, and this year ran 325km in a week to honour the 325 people killed or seriously injured on North Yorkshire’s roads in 2021.


Read more:


 

Drink-drive charge after car crashes into Harrogate garden

Harrogate roads policing sergeant Paul Cording has published photos of a car that crashed into a Harrogate home over the weekend.

Sgt Cording, who regularly tweets about police life on the road, said the driver, who has not been named, had been charged with drink-driving and would appear in court next month. He tweeted:

“Thankfully no injuries and no one was in the garden at the time.”

He posted about the incident at about 7am yesterday morning.

RTC in #Harrogate where car has crashed into garden of residential property. Thankfully no injuries & no one was in the garden at the time. The driver has been arrested, interviewed & charged with drink driving. They have a date in court next month #Fatal5 pic.twitter.com/47QUe0oYK9

— Sgt Paul Cording BEM (@OscarRomeo1268) March 20, 2022

During two busy weekend night shifts, Sgt Cording also tweeted about a car driver in Ripon refusing to stop when asked by police and the recovery of class A drugs.

The driver of this vehicle decided they didn’t want to stop for Police in #Ripon and made off. Vehicle located a short time later with significant rear end damage and tyres tracks towards a sizeable tree!! Vehicle seized & enquiries ongoing pic.twitter.com/ZWgGr3uUtx

— Sgt Paul Cording BEM (@OscarRomeo1268) March 20, 2022

A flying start to the shift after this vehicle was stopped on the outskirts of #Harrogate I was then joined my my colleagues from #OpExpedite and a search recovered a substantial amount of believed Class A drugs #OneInCustody #PWITS #Result pic.twitter.com/H391LkXuVj

— Sgt Paul Cording BEM (@OscarRomeo1268) March 21, 2022


Read more:


 

Two arrested after late night Harrogate drugs swoop

Two people have been arrested after police pulled over a car last night and found suspected class A drugs.

Officers from Operation Expedite, the county lines drugs team at North Yorkshire Police, stopped the vehicle.

Harrogate traffic police officer Sgt Paul Cording, who along with Harrogate traffic constable David Minto assisted the other officers, tweeted shortly after 5am:

“A search of the occupants revealed a number of clear bags containing believed class A drugs. Driver and passenger arrested and enquiries ongoing.”

This vehicle stopped by myself & @TC174_NYP along with our colleagues from #OpExpedite in #Harrogate A search of the occupants reveals a number of clear bags containing believed Class A drugs. Driver & passenger arrested & enquiries ongoing #NotInOurCounty #RoadsPolicing pic.twitter.com/BWx1zv9Al3

— Sgt Paul Cording BEM (@OscarRomeo1268) November 12, 2021

 

Harrogate van driver caught nearly four times over drink-driving limit

A man driving a works van in Harrogate was almost four times the drink-driving limit when he was stopped by police during the afternoon.

North Yorkshire Police said in a statement it received a tip-off shortly after 1.30pm yesterday about a man driving a van with a works logo on it who was potentially under the influence of alcohol.

The 60-year-old man was pulled over on Skipton Road and asked to provide a roadside breath test. The statement added:

“He initially refused, so was arrested on suspicion of failing to provide. On returning to the station, the man blew 135 – the legal limit is 35. He was charged with drink driving.”

Sergeant Paul Cording, from North Yorkshire Police roads policing group, said:

“The fact that this man had been driving as part of his job yesterday and provided such a high reading is astonishing. The actions from the member of the public who called us with this information yesterday has probably saved a life.”

“I would encourage anyone who suspects a person to have drink or drugs in their system and is driving or about to drive to call us immediately on 999.”


Read more:


 

Twitter backlash against police social media changes

North Yorkshire Police has faced a Twitter backlash after it announced restrictions on officers’ social media accounts.

The move will see people encourage to follow centralised accounts rather than those of individual officers.

As part of the changes, Harrogate traffic sergeant Paul Cording and Harrogate traffic constable David Minto, who between them have more than 20,000 Twitter followers, expect to be asked to close their accounts and post on one of eight area accounts run by North Yorkshire Police.

The area accounts will post updates on appeals, safety information and court results rather than the current blend of personal and professional updates from life on the frontline.

A police question and answer session today about the changes under the hashtag #AskNYorksPolice saw criticism of the move.

Some said tweets from a corporate account would be less personal while others asked whether officers would require approval to share posts.


Read more:


One poster, Gary Silvester, said:

“I’m sorry I just don’t see how it can be as personal as individual accounts as that’s what I and many others enjoy. I’m a big supporter of the police. 

“Will individuals tweets have to be approved? This whole policy strikes me that you don’t trust the officers completely.”

Social media posts will not need to be approved, the accts will still be run by local teams. We absolutely trust our officers, this is about improving service & responsiveness to the public through social media & giving people a place to find content more easily #AskNYorksPolice https://t.co/veJTO3yFqX

— North Yorkshire Police (@NYorksPolice) March 31, 2021

Another person, Jacqui Stephenson tweeted:

“Given the amount of stations being closed, surely it’s better that individual officers build up the rapport with their local communities using social media. 

“A lot of your officers use social media responsibly and engage with the public.

“I’ve often learned a lot from reading the Twitter feed of individual officers. It gives a real insight as to what they are facing as well as showing that they are human beings as well. Using the bland corporate accounts takes that away.”

But police defended the decision and said officers would continue to build a rapport with the public.

The force added officers’ social media content would not require approval and that the move was about “improving the service and responsiveness” to the public.

Sergeant Cording shared two videos explaining his views on the change.

He said while personal accounts have not been asked to be deleted yet, they will be “sometime in the future”.

Morning everyone, on leave at the moment but just wanted to give you my take on the changes to the @NYorksPolice social media policy 1/2 pic.twitter.com/lFXPqinmb1

— Sgt Paul Cording BEM (@OscarRomeo1268) March 31, 2021

Sergeant Cording added that he understood the decision the police had made, but was “disappointed”.

The new measures have also been met with concern from candidates to be North Yorkshire’s next police, fire and crime commissioner.

James Barker, Liberal Democrat candidate for the role, said the police needed to “rethink” its decision. He said:

“Residents value the localised information that is made available via these social media channels and I really can’t understand the thinking that has led to these being scrapped.”

He also expressed concerns about North Yorkshire Police’s recent introduction of a service-level statement setting out how it responds to media requests.

The statement says it will not respond to media requests for information relating to incidents on which an article has been posted on its website.

Mr Barker said:

“The local media plays a crucial role in sharing trusted information of genuine interest to residents. They could be a real asset to the police in getting important information to local communities who already get their news through established print, online, radio and TV channels. It seems like an own goal by the police that could see them distance themselves from local communities.

“If elected, I will review the operation of the current ‘service-level statement’ and will start by engaging with the local media to explore how we can work together better for the benefit of our communities.”

Independent candidate Keith Tordoff said:

“The closure of individual police officers’ official social media accounts is, I believe, bad for public relations.

“The new accounts until we see how they operate at this point sound rather corporate. I also recognise that the officers’ accounts as they had operated could lead to security breaches, Officer safety and possible promotion of businesses which had needed addressing.

“The officers’ official accounts with directives and supervision of them would have continued to be great for police, public relations and community engagement. The accounts were clearly very popular with the public going by the people commenting against the closure of them.
“If elected, I would look to review the decision.”

The Stray Ferret has approached the Conservative and Labour candidates for comment.

North Yorkshire’s Police Fire and Crime Commissioner election will take place on May 6.

Harrogate police officers face social media restrictions

North Yorkshire Police is imposing restrictions on officers’ social media accounts that will prevent them posting directly to the public.

The move will have implications for the popular Twitter accounts of Harrogate traffic sergeant Paul Cording and Harrogate traffic constable David Minto, who between them have more than 20,000 followers.

Their tales of life on the road include live traffic updates from accident scenes and details of motoring offences.

But soon they will be unable to post directly to Twitter under their police names.

North Yorkshire Police is centralising its approach to social media by encouraging people to follow its official accounts, rather than those of individual officers.

Officers can still post under their names provided their messages go through official channels first.

Another spot by @NypAnpr and @TC174_NYP & my @NYorksRPG team stop this vehicle near #AllertonPark Driver tests positive for #Cocaine & is arrested. I assisted with bloods in custody & they will be sent to @RSSS_DianeFair for analysis #Fatal4 pic.twitter.com/4NxBO3hYGO

— Sgt Paul Cording BEM (@OscarRomeo1268) March 21, 2021

https://twitter.com/TC174_NYP/status/1372328691338985474

A North Yorkshire Police spokesperson told the Stray Ferret:

“We are reducing our accounts to make it easier for our communities to find the latest updates from North Yorkshire Police and what is happening in their area, as well as enabling us to respond to the issues that matter to those communities more quickly and effectively.

“The changes are not banning anyone from social media. The many officers and staff who already post and share fantastic social media content will move to posting that content across our force wide and district accounts. Some have already started doing this.

“If they wish to they will be able to give their name so the public still know who is the voice behind the post as we know how much their personalities are valued by our communities.”

Sgt Cording told the Stray Ferret he was aware changes are coming but at this stage it was inappropriate for him to comment.

In an interview with the Stray Ferret last year, he said there were “some issues” within the force when he started tweeting in 2011 but increasingly the police had recognised the value of officers engaging directly with the public and showing a bit of personality.


Read more:


 

Penny Pot Lane near Harrogate reopens after serious collision

Penny Pot Lane near Harrogate has reopened after a serious traffic accident this afternoon.

A woman in her 60s who was driving a car was taken to Leeds General Infirmary with serious injuries, although they are not thought to be life-threatening.

Emergency services were called to the scene near New Acre Farm shortly after 1pm.

Fire, ambulance and police vehicles were all in attendance.

North Yorkshire Police urged drivers to avoid the road in a tweet at 2.17pm this afternoon.

Harrogate traffic sergeant Paul Cording also used his Twitter account to alert people to the situation.

Penny Pot Lane in #Harrogate remains closed whilst we deal with a serious RTC. Please avoid the area whilst emergency services deal #JESIP pic.twitter.com/F6DhuMQV4I

— Sgt Paul Cording BEM (@OscarRomeo1268) February 16, 2021

Sgt Cording later alerted the Stray Ferret to the road reopening at about 3pm.

Penny Pot Lane is a popular route for people in Harrogate travelling to Fewston and Swinsty reservoirs.

It is also the location of the West Harrogate Household Waste Recycling Centre run by North Yorkshire County Council, and traffic queueing to enter the site frequently backs up.

Witnesses can contact North Yorkshire Police by dialling 101, pressing 1 and speaking to the force control room. Quote reference number 0148 of 16 February.


Read more: