Harrogate and Ripon hospitals maintain visitor restrictions due to high covid rates

The NHS trust that runs hospitals in Harrogate and Ripon is to maintain visitor restrictions while coronavirus case rates remain high.

Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust imposed restrictions at Harrogate District Hospital and Ripon Community Hospital on December 23 amid concerns about the Omicron variant.

It means visitors are only allowed for patients on end of life care, patients with a learning disability or severe cognitive impairment such as dementia. Parents or carers of children and birthing partners are also permitted.


Read more:


At the time, the hospital said it would review the restrictions regularly and relax them “at the earliest opportunity”.

However, although the government removed all Plan B measures a week ago, the trust has yet to say when regular visits will resume.

A spokesperson for the trust said today:

“Visitor guidance has not changed since December 23, 2021, although it is regularly reviewed.

“While infection rates remain at the current levels, we need to maintain the current restrictions on visitors to our wards for the safety of our patients and staff.

“These restriction also still apply to those people wanting to accompany outpatients to their appointments.

“Anyone entering our hospital will also need to wear a mask, ensure they sanitise their hands and maintain social distancing.”

Another 339 covid infections were recorded in the Harrogate district yesterday, bringing the seven-day average to 1,305 cases per 100,000 people — the highest in North Yorkshire and considerably above the England rate of 1,048.

No vaccine passports: Harrogate Town prepares to reduce capacity

Harrogate Town have confirmed that there will be no requirement to show proof of coronavirus vaccination at the EnviroVent Stadium.

Under the government’s Plan B restrictions, unseated venues with more than 4,000 people need to check for a negative covid test result or an NHS covid pass.

The EnviroVent Stadium on Wetherby Road can hold up to 5,000 fans so it is just over that limit. However, attendance has not gone over the 3,500 mark so far this season.


Read more:


A spokesman for Harrogate Town told the Stray Ferret:

“If it came to it, we would cap ticket sales below 4,000, however we don’t foresee this being necessary with average numbers falling well below 4,000 this season to date.

“We will continue to monitor the situation and are still waiting on further advice, but will follow government, English Football League and local authority guidelines to ensure the safety of visitors and staff alike.

“We are encouraging face masks, hand washing and ask anyone with covid symptoms or living with anyone with covid symptoms not to visit the stadium.”

There is a mixed picture across League Two. Some clubs, like Harrogate Town, have opted for reduced capacity while others will ask for a covid pass.

Harrogate business groups criticise ‘confusing’ Plan B ahead of Commons vote

Harrogate business groups have described the government’s Plan B coronavirus restrictions as confusing, ahead of tonight’s vote in the House of Commons.

Both Harrogate District Chamber of Commerce and Harrogate Business Improvement District are concerned about the impact the measures would have on businesses.

David Simister, chief executive of the chamber, said:

“To me, Plan B makes no sense whatsoever. Whilst being asked to work from home we can still go to the gym, restaurants, pubs, bars and Christmas parties – all without the need of wearing a mask!

“If businesses do close offices, working from home will have an impact on the economy – public transport, car parks hospitality and retail will all suffer as a result.”

More than 80 Conservative MPs are expected tonight to vote against the measures, which include vaccine passports for large gatherings, compulsory face masks in more settings and the reintroduction of the work from home policy whenever possible.

Harrogate MPs Nigel Adams, Andrew Jones and Julian Smith.

Harrogate MPs Nigel Adams, Andrew Jones and Julian Smith.

The Stray Ferret contacted Harrogate district Conservative MPs Andrew Jones, Julian Smith and Nigel Adams to ask whether they intended to vote with the government.

However, we did not receive a response by the time of publication. MPs are expected to vote at around 6.30pm.


Read more:


Harrogate BID manager Matthew Chapman said:

“The message we are consistently promoting is that Harrogate is open for business – and that will continue after tonight’s Commons vote.

“If this confusing message does have an impact on Christmas trade, then I feel the government should be considering financial support to counter this.

“The rail commute into town is certainly quieter than last week, and I know a large number of office levy payers are now working from home, which will have an impact on the economy.

“However, with covid measures still in place in many businesses, I’m not sure how many employees will work from home.

“Whilst it looks likely the government will have a majority, covid passports and lateral flow tests to visit nightclubs and indoor venues will prove problematic, as who’s going to police it? I hope that people can continue to be kind and considerate to those who are working so hard in these sectors.”

Harrogate hospital reveals winter plans

Harrogate District Hospital has the capacity to increase its number of beds by 50 as part of winter escalation plans.

Dr Matt Shepherd, deputy chief operating officer and consultant in emergency medicine at Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust, revealed the numbers in an interview with the Stray Ferret yesterday.

Talking about the trust’s winter plans, Dr Shepherd said the hospital currently has 260 beds, 20 more than in summer, and has the potential to increase this to 310. Ripon Community Hospital has the capacity to increase beds from 16 to 20.

The hospital covid situation remains considerably better than last winter, when the number of patients in Harrogate with coronavirus peaked at 70, and during the first wave in spring last year, when the figure was about 40.  He said:

“Up to four or five weeks ago we had on average four or five patients with covid, then it crept up to 10 and then a couple of weeks ago it went up to 20. It’s trickled down in the last few days to 15.”

The Harrogate district currently has one of the highest covid rates in the country, with the seven-day rate currently 727 per 100,000 people.

But he pointed out that this time last year the hospital had cancelled many other services due to covid and this time staff were heading into winter dealing with coronavirus “on top of other things”.

‘Big impact’ of vaccines 

How worried is he about the months ahead?

“It’s a bit like when covid first arrived. It’s that fear of the unknown. Your imagination runs wild with worst case scenarios, which could be very difficult.

“But the vaccine programme has had a big impact. We are seeing far fewer covid patients in intensive care.”


Read more:


The hospital currently has eight beds in intensive care and four are being used. Last winter it had to increase the number from eight to 30 to cope.

After two previous waves of covid, the trust now has well rehearsed ‘flex’ plans to cope with fluctuating coronavirus patient numbers. Dr Shepherd said:

“We currently have half a ward devoted to covid patients. When we get to the mid-20s we convert a full 30-bed ward.”

Waiting list increase

He expects extra patients with other respiratory viruses this year because people are mixing more.

It spells difficult times ahead for staff, particularly as the district’s high infection rate has forced a lot of staff to isolate.

Like other NHS organisations, the trust is also dealing with recruitment problems. Dr Shepherd says shortages are often specific to certain areas, such as theatre staff and nurses.

It doesn’t sound like a good time for any of the trust’s 4,000 staff to put in requests for a fortnight in Lanzarote over Christmas. Dr Shepherd says:

“It’s the relentless nature of the last year and a half. The chances of proper rest haven’t been the same. Staff having to isolate is one of the biggest challenges now.”

The impact of lockdown is still being felt. The trust waiting list was 18,000 pre-covid. Now it’s 22,000. Dr Shepherd says the situation varies from department to department.

“There’s been good progress in some areas, for example scans, where we’ve really caught up and there is no real backlog. Also endoscopy.

“But some of the more complex operations take much longer to do and patients are still waiting much longer than they have done in the past in Harrogate and much longer than I would like. We are a small hospital and there are only so many operating theatres.”

Pressure on the emergency department has increased significantly, with most people now seen and either admitted or discharged within six hours rather than four.

Masks and vaccines enough for now

Medical organisations, including the British Medical Association, have said this week it’s time for the government to adopt winter planning now to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed by growing numbers of coronavirus cases.

Dr Shepherd says Harrogate and Ripon hospitals have “never stepped away from asking people to wear masks”.

Does he think it’s time for other measures?

“It’s important that we inform the public that infection rates are higher in the Harrogate district and the best thing they can do is attend vaccination clinics.

“Masks and vaccines are the first next step. If that’s not enough and we continue to see a rise we need to consider a more mandatory position.”