Residents frustrated after Harrogate district planning portal goes down

Residents have raised frustration over Harrogate Borough Council’s planning portal being down for more than a week.

The portal allows people to check and comment on pending planning applications in the district.

The council advertised planned maintenance would be carried out on the site from Monday, March 13 to Wednesday, March 15 and then from Monday, March 20 to Wednesday, March 22.

However, residents have reported the portal has been inaccessible since March 13.

Graham Bowland, from Staveley, told the Stray Ferret the matter had been frustrating for locals in the village.

Some have been trying to comment on a pending proposal for 73 homes on land off Minskip Road near Staveley Nature Reserve.

Mr Bowland said:

“How are we expected to view documents relating to the application?

“This issue has galvanised the residents into submitting letters of objection which we are batching up and delivering by hand.”


Read more:


Other residents raised concern they may miss the deadline for comments on applications due to the portal being down.

The Stray Ferret asked the council why the maintenance was needed.

A spokesperson for the council said:

“Our online register of planning applications (public access) is currently unavailable due to essential maintenance.

“Comments on planning applications will be accepted after the end of any formal consultation periods. Applications will also be considered on a case-by-case basis when they are ready for determination and, where they may have been affected by the downtime, we will make individual assessments as to whether members of the public have been given sufficient time to comment.

“We anticipate the system returning later today, but anyone with any concerns or has an urgent need to view plans and/or make comments can email dmst@harrogate.gov.uk.”

‘Significant’ fall in Harrogate district planning applications leads to £320,000 shortfall

Harrogate Borough Council has seen a ‘significant’ fall in the number of planning applications submitted this year — resulting in a shortfall of £320,000 for the authority.

Councillors met this week to discuss a quarter three financial report that provides a summary of how different departments are performing in line with the overall budget for 2022/23.

The council is the district’s planning authority and therefore has the final say over developments ranging from a kitchen extension to major housing schemes with hundreds of homes.

When a planning application is submitted the council asks for a fee. For an outline planning application where the site is bigger than 2.5 hectares, the fee is £11,432 plus an additional £138 for every 0.1 hectare.

For a single house extension, the fee is £206.

The council, which will be abolished at the end of next month, also offers a pre-application service where anyone can get advice on the likelihood of a proposal receiving planning permission.

Fees range from £90 for advice on an extension to £3,000 for developments with more than 50 homes.


Read more:


But after a spike in applications during the covid pandemic, the council says there has been a slowdown in the number of both large-scale and smaller applications.

It is anticipating a shortfall of £270,000 in planning application income and £50,000 in pre-planning application income.

The cost of building materials has also sky-rocketed in the last two years and the report says the council expects the number of smaller applications submitted to remain lower than expected as the national cost-of living crisis impacts on household spending.

The trend in the Harrogate district is in line with the national picture, where planning application submissions have dropped by an average of 15% over the last year.

Shoppers shun Harrogate multi-storey car parks

Harrogate’s multi-storey car parks are generating considerably less income than expected this year.

Off-street parking revenue is £293,000 below budget, a Harrogate Borough Council meeting heard on Monday.

Gillian Morland, service finance manager at the council, told the overview and scrutiny committee meeting the  Jubilee and Victoria multi-storey car parks were “particularly down on income”.

Ms Morland said the looming abolition of Harrogate Borough Council and the creation of a single unitary authority for North Yorkshire presented the chance to improve matters. She said:

“There is a good opportunity as we merge into the new authority to look at a joined-up approach and the whole issue of traffic management, bring on and off-street parking together.”

The Stray Ferret reported yesterday that Harrogate Borough Council is forecasting to spend £2.5m more than budgeted in its final year of existence.


Read more:


This is mainly because utility bills are £1.7m above budget and staff pay is £1.1m higher than expected following the 2022/23 pay award of 6.7% rather than the predicted 2.5% .

But the report to councillors also revealed several other areas of shortfalls.

Besides car parking, planning application income is £320,000 less than expected due to a reduction in applications.

Ms Morland said:

“I understand planning income has been down for some time now and it’s not returned to the pre pandemic levels. The big issue is we are not getting the big planning applications, the high value ones, but I don’t know any more of the detail.”

Philip Broadbank, the Liberal Democrat councillor for Starbeck, said he understood there had been “a lot fewer applications” for house extensions because of the economic climate over the last three or four months.