A decision on the future of Harrogate Borough Council’s former Crescent Gardens offices is set to be made this month, according to site owner Impala Estates.
The Harrogate-based property investment company bought the building in January 2020 for £4m.
It submitted a planning application in March 2021 to transform the site into offices, a gym and a rooftop restaurant.
Under the plans, the empty building, which was built in the 1890s, would be extended by adding two floors.
James Hartley, director at Impala Estates, told the Stray Ferret in an email today that it expected the proposal to be considered by councillors on the planning committee on April 21.

‘Much-needed’ office space
Documents submitted by the developer in November said the conversion would add “much-needed” office space into the town centre.
It said:
“It has been noted that there is a significant lack of high quality office space within the centre of Harrogate along with more office buildings being approved for conversion to residential within the town centre, this being exacerbated by changes in permitted development rules”.
Read more:
- Plans for 350 ‘eco lodges’ and hotel in Flaxby refused
- Harrogate Tory leader attacks Lib Dems for using Dundee printers
In December, the public body Historic England said it objected to the two-storey roof-top extension and would prefer a “suitably designed” single-storey extension instead.
It said:
“Whilst we remain supportive of the proposals to sustainability reuse the former council offices, the revised scheme does not address our previous concerns and our position remains unchanged. Unfortunately, the two storey upward extension is still being pursued.”
The Stray Ferret asked the council to confirm whether Crescent Gardens will be on the agenda at the next planning committee meeting but we had not yet received a response by the time of publication.
The saga of the former council site
The future of Crescent Gardens, which has been empty for five years since the council relocated to Knapping Mount in 2017, has become a long-running saga.
Harrogate Borough Council announced when it moved into its new offices that local developer Adam Thorpe would buy the site for £6.31 million.
Mr Thorpe said he would spend £75 million on a refurbishment, which would include an art gallery, underground car park, swimming pool, restaurant and luxury apartments.
Two years later he said he had agreed the sale of 10 of the 12 properties but Mr Thorpe’s company, ATP Ltd, then collapsed with debts of almost £11million, including £24,394 to the council.
The site then went back on the market and was eventually sold to Impala Estates.
It set up a website outlining its vision for the building. The ‘project updates’ section has not been updated since April 1 last year.
Controversial 200-home Pannal Ash scheme approvedHarrogate Borough Council‘s planning committee has voted to approve Homes England‘s plan to build 200 homes on the site of the former police training centre in Harrogate.
Councillors debated the application for almost three hours today with discussion focused on traffic congestion and the loss of a football pitch on the site.
Seven voted in favour, three against and John Mann, whose Harrogate Pannal ward would be affected by the scheme, abstained.
Homes England, which is the government housing agency, had permission to build 161 homes on the Yew Tree Lane site but wanted to increase this by 23% to 200 homes by building on the pitch.
The planning committee voted in June against a recommendation to approve the application.
Instead it deferred the scheme pending publication of the West of Harrogate Parameters Plan, which will assess transport and infrastructure needs associated with wider plans to build up to 4,000 homes on the western side of Harrogate.
Councillors were told a draft version of the parameters plan would not be published until February 2022.
However, this time they decided to approve the housing scheme, with a representative of Homes England suggesting it would consider legal action if the application was deferred again.
More to follow on this story
Read more:
- Controversial plans for 200 homes in Pannal Ash halted indefinitely
- Pannal Ash residents’ faith in planning process ‘severely tested’ by rush to approve 200 homes
-
Football club’s fury at plans to axe Harrogate sports pitch for housing