Campaigners are to stage a protest at an event held by Harrogate Spring Water this week to discuss its expansion plans.
The company, which is part of French multinational Danone, revealed revised plans this month to expand its bottling plant off Harlow Moor Road. This would involve felling 450 trees planted by schoolchildren in nearby Rotary Wood to combat climate change.
Harrogate Spring Water has said it has a contractual agreement with a landowner to buy two acres of land and plant 1,200 saplings to offset the impact if its planning application is accepted. It claims this would lead to a net biodiversity gain on the site.
About 25 people opposed to the felling of trees attended a Save Rotary Wood event in Harrogate yesterday.
One of the children who planted the trees was among those attending, along with members of Zero Carbon Harrogate and Pinewoods Conservation Group, a North Yorkshire councillor and concerned individuals.
Activist Sarah Gibbs said she would protest in her tree costume at the public consultation event, which takes place at the Crown Hotel in Harrogate from 4pm to 7pm on Thursday.
Yesterday’s meeting also discussed developing a long-term strategy to save the trees and heard concerns about the wider impact development would have on the environment and Harrogate’s reputation.
Among the issues raised were more lorries using the site, whether greater water extraction would affect local water supply and the possibility of further expansion at the site.
Jessica Eaton, of Zero Carbon Harrogate, said:
“Where does it stop? And do we want Harrogate to be associated with plastic bottles? I’m fairly sure most people in Harrogate support us.”
Read more:
- Harrogate Spring Water plans reignite debate on trees and plastic
- Harrogate Spring Water reveals plans for 1,200-tree community woodland
Arnold Warneken, the Green Party councillor for Ouseburn, said campaigners should focus on valid planning reasons for refusal.
One attendee described direct action as a “last resort” but “not inconceivable”.
Harrogate Spring Water already has outline planning permission, which means the principle of development has been established. It is now preparing a reserved matters planning application, which would agree the details.
Richard Hall, managing director of Harrogate Spring Water, said previously the company believed its revised plans addressed previous concerns and “create a way forward together for the local community and for ourselves as a growing Harrogate business”.
He added:
“We would like people to come and see for themselves what we have planned and how we aim to carry it out.”
Anyone who cannot come along on the day will still be able to see the plans and have their say here.
Harrogate Spring Water still ‘exploring options’ over expansion plans
Harrogate Spring Water has said it is still “exploring options” over the planned expansion of its bottling plant — almost a year on from a public consultation.
The French-owned company plans to fell trees in Rotary Wood, including some planted by schoolchildren in the 2000s, to expand its site on Harlow Moor Road.
Amid environmental concerns over the use of plastics and the loss of trees, the company held a consultation event at the Crown Hotel in Harrogate on July 13 last year.
It said afterwards it was “working on defining the plans” and would “publicly share our final plans ahead of submitting our application to Harrogate Borough Council”.
But 11 months on, it has yet to reveal its plans. Harrogate Borough Council was abolished on March 31 and replaced by North Yorkshire Council.
Asked for an update, a spokesperson for Harrogate Spring Water said:
“We are working hard exploring options to address the points raised during the course of our consultation process last year on plans to expand our production site.
“It is because we are determined to create a solution which tackles those points and delivers for the people of Harrogate, for the town and for Harrogate Spring Water that we are taking time to get it right.
“As soon as we are able to, we will share the updated scheme with the public – we plan to host a public drop-in exhibition, as well as engage with key local groups.
“We are keen to do this in as timely a manner as we can and while we are still not in a position to put a precise date on when this will take place, as soon as this situation changes, we will let everyone know.”
The firm, which is part of Danone, has had outline planning permission to expand its factory next to the Pinewoods since 2017. This means the principle of development has been established but the details have not.
Plans to extend the site by 40% were refused by Harrogate Borough Council’s planning committee in January 2021.
Harrogate Spring Water subsequently revealed it planned to submit further plans on how it intended to develop the site, which led to last year’s consultation. But nothing has yet transpired.
Read more:
- Police launch investigation after trespassers enter Harrogate Spring Water
- Historic Harrogate house fails to sell at auction
Harrogate Spring Water ‘reviewing plans’ to expand bottling plant ahead of new application
Harrogate Spring Water has said it is reviewing plans to expand its bottling plant on Harlow Moor Road ahead of a new planning application being submitted.
Since 2017, the Danone-owned firm has had outline planning permission to expand its factory next to the Pinewoods.
But controversially, this would involve chopping down trees at Rotary Wood, a public woodland that includes trees planted by schoolchildren in the 2000s.
In January 2021, a high-profile reserved matters application that was 40% larger than the outline permission and looked to fell more trees than had been agreed was turned down by Harrogate Borough Council‘s planning committee.
The application generated a public backlash and led to a national debate about how a successful businesses can expand in the area of climate change and plastic pollution.
Following the refusal, Harrogate Spring Water confirmed it was putting together another keenly-anticipated reserved matters application that will show what the new building will look like. Crucially, it will also say where the new trees will be replanted.
The company held a public consultation event at the Crown Hotel in Harrogate last July where representatives, including managing director Richard Hall, spoke to residents about the plans.
Eight months later, the company has still not submitted the reserved matters application but a Harrogate Spring Water spokesperson said it remains committed to doing so.
The application will be decided by the new Harrogate and Knaresborough planning committee on North Yorkshire Council.
A spokesperson for Harrogate Spring Water said:
“Following the public consultation last year, we have and are continuing to review the feedback and develop the scheme.
“We are reviewing our plans in light of feedback we have received and are working towards a solution that will deliver for the people of Harrogate, the town and for Harrogate Spring Water.
“We are currently exploring options to address points raised during the course of our consultation process and remain committed to a detailed public consultation on these plans when we are ready to share the updated scheme.
“We plan to host a public drop-in exhibition, as well as engage with key local groups. As yet, we are unable to put a precise date on when this will take place, but we are working towards achieving this in as timely a manner as possible.”
Read more:
- Harrogate Spring Water investigating new water sources on council land
- Campaigner accuses Harrogate Spring Water of ‘greenwashing’ over expansion plans
At a meeting of the Harrogate and Knaresborough area constituency committee this week, campaigner Sarah Gibbs quoted the council’s own planning policies when she addressed councillors about why she believes the expansion should not go ahead.
As several members of the committee will sit on the new council’s planning committee, including chair Pat Marsh, they did not take part in any debate or ask questions.
Ms Gibbs has organised protests against the plans for several years and previously held a weekly vigil outside the council offices dressed as a tree.
She said:
“Having finally recognised the state of emergency of the planet’s climate, it’s becoming more obvious that nature does not care for our laws policies or planning issues.
“Nature will act. The climate will continue to worsen unless we act, and we must act now. For what we do now is all that matters. What we choose to do now will determine or future, children’s future and future of the planet.”