Police investigating the disappearance of Jesus Moreno have found the body of a male.
The body was found by a police search team yesterday afternoon on land close to the River Wharfe in the Harewood area.
West Yorkshire Police announced the discovery in a statement this afternoon. It added there were no suspicious circumstances. The statement added:
“The family of Mr Moreno have been informed of this development and enquiries are ongoing to confirm the identity of the deceased.”
Mr Moreno, 41, who worked at a Leeds brewery, was last seen more than eight months ago in August 2022.

A poster in Harrogate appealing for help
He was spotted on CCTV catching a 36 bus to Harrogate at Leeds bus station at 6.10am on Monday, August 1.
He got off the bus at Swindon Lane near Dunkeswick, just north of Harewood bridge on the A61, at 6.39am.
He was then seen on CCTV near the bridge at 8.14am.
Today’s news comes two weeks after West Yorkshire Police said it had “exhausted every possible line of enquiry” and issued a fresh appeal for help.
Police had searched the countryside and river near where Mr Moreno was last seen.
Drones were used and the family even used a psychic to try to help.
Read more:
- Police: All lines exhausted into missing man last seen on A61 near Harewood Bridge
- Search continues for missing man last seen on A61 near Harewood bridge
Police seek brick-throwing Ripon boys
North Yorkshire Police is appealing for information about a group of boys throwing bricks at a window in Ripon.
In a media release issued today, police said the “criminal damage incident” took place on Aismunderby Road at about 4.45pm yesterday.
The release said:
“Several teenagers threw a brick at a property window. The teenagers were described as approximately 12 to 14 years old.”
Anyone with information can email gareth.skelton@northyorkshire.police.uk or dial 101, select option 2, and ask for Gareth Skelton.
Or you can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111
Quote reference number 12230057881.
Read more:
- 90 jobs at stake as struggling Ripon firm Farmison seeks buyer
- NHS places to be lost as Ripon dental practice closure announced
Air ambulance lands after serious collision in Knaresborough town centre
An air ambulance has landed in Knaresborough after a man was injured in a serious collision this morning.
Police cordoned off part of the market place at about 11.30am this morning. The road has now reopened.
Shortly afterwards an air ambulance landed in the castle yard. It has now left the scene.

The man was injured near Appleton’s butchers and the library.
North Yorkshire Police issued a statement at 12.40pm today, which said:
“We’re with ambulance colleagues attending a serious collision in Knaresborough’s Market Place.“It happened at about 11am and involved two cars and a pedestrian. A man has been taken to hospital.“Please avoid the area while the emergency services work at the scene.”

Read more:
Knaresborough teacher assault: all 4 girls arrested released without charge
All four girls arrested after a teacher was assaulted at King James’ School in Knaresborough have now been released without charge.
North Yorkshire Police said in an update today a 16-year-old who was arrested several hours after the incident on suspicion of affray had now been released on bail.
Police previously said a teenage girl arrested for an alleged assault on a female member of staff and criminal damage shortly after the incident had already been released on bail.
They also revealed two other teenage girls arrested for breach of the peace had been “de-arrested and taken home”.
None of the girls who were arrested is from King James’ School.
Police were called to the school at 3.10pm on Monday when a gang of girls from another school caused a disturbance.
Today’s update said investigations were continuing.
Read more:
- Knaresborough to hold contest to find new town crier
- Knaresborough author publishes first children’s book
Headteacher Carl Sugden (pictured above) wrote to parents after the incident saying the girls “came onto the school site with the clear intention of causing trouble”.
Mr Sugden added:
Knaresborough teacher assault: fourth girl arrested but still no charges“Our staff were on hand to stop them, they did not gain access to the building, but unfortunately we needed some police support to remove them.
“There were a number of police vans on site at the end of school and this caused some disruption to the end of the day.
“I can assure you that none of our pupils were involved in this poor behaviour and these young people are not known to us.”
A fourth girl has been arrested following yesterday’s assault on a teacher at King James’s School in Knaresborough.
Police were called at 3.10pm yesterday when a gang of girls from another school caused a disturbance.
A teenage girl was arrested for an alleged assault on a female member of staff and criminal damage but in an update this morning, North Yorkshire Police said she had since been released on bail.
Two other teenage girls who were arrested for breach of the peace had been “de-arrested and taken home” and would be “interviewed at a later date”, police said.
Today’s update also said a 16-year-old girl was arrested last night, several hours after the incident, on suspicion of affray and remained in police custody.
None of the girls who were arrested is from King James’ School.

Headteacher Carl Sugden (pictured above) wrote to parents yesterday saying the gang of girls were “not connected to King James’s School” and “came onto the school site with the clear intention of causing trouble”.
Mr Sugden added:
“Our staff were on hand to stop them, they did not gain access to the building, but unfortunately we needed some police support to remove them.
“There were a number of police vans on site at the end of school and this caused some disruption to the end of the day.
“I can assure you that none of our pupils were involved in this poor behaviour and these young people are not known to us.”
Read more:
- Teenage girl arrested after teacher assaulted at Knaresborough school
- Knaresborough to hold contest to find new town crier
Police enquiries are ongoing and anyone with information can make a report via the North Yorkshire Police website or by calling 101, option 1.
The crime reference is 12230050161.
Harrogate Turkish Baths nude ban: police probe ‘ongoing’North Yorkshire Police has said an investigation into “inappropriate behaviour” at Turkish Baths Harrogate is ongoing.
Harrogate Borough Council banned nude bathing at the Victorian baths last week after it received a complaint.
Until the decision, clothing was optional at two single sex sessions for men and women. It is compulsory at mixed sessions.
But the council, which runs the venue, made swimwear compulsory for all sessions without consulting users following the complaint.
In a statement, it said the complaint was of a “serious nature”, adding:
“We have a duty of care to our customers and staff members, and in order for all single sex sessions to operate in a safe environment, it has been decided that swimwear must be worn until further notice.”
North Yorkshire Police confirmed today it was looking into the matter. A spokesperson said:
“Police received a report of an incident of inappropriate behaviour at the Turkish Baths earlier this month. Enquiries are at an early stage and are ongoing.”
The baths opened in 1897 and with its restored Moorish design is one of Harrogate’s premier attractions.
Read more:
- Harrogate Turkish Baths bans nude bathers
- Inspectors says Harrogate hospital maternity services ‘ improvement’
Harrogate Turkish Baths bans nude bathers
Swimwear has been made compulsory for all sessions at Turkish Baths Harrogate following a complaint to the police.
Until this week, clothing was optional at two single sex sessions for men and women each week. It is compulsory at mixed sessions.
But a spokesperson for Harrogate Borough Council, which runs the Victorian venue, said:
“Following a complaint at Turkish Baths Harrogate, an operational decision has been made that swimwear is now compulsory at all bathing sessions.
“The complaint related to an incident which due to its serious nature has been reported to the police and is currently being investigated.
“We have a duty of care to our customers and staff members, and in order for all single sex sessions to operate in a safe environment, it has been decided that swimwear must be worn until further notice.”

The Moorish design
The council issued the statement after a bather, who regularly attends men-only sessions unclothed, alerted local media to the change.
The person, who asked to remain anonymous, said recent attendees of single sex sessions received emails yesterday informing them of the change with immediate effect, with no consultation.
He also pointed out the ‘bathing etiquette’ section on the Turkish baths’ website had been amended to say ‘swimwear is compulsory at all sessions (including single-sex sessions)’.
The person said the majority of people at male-only sessions preferred not to wear clothes because they found them uncomfortable.
He added he would monitor the situation in light of the complaint to see whether the unclothed option was reintroduced.
The baths, which has Islamic arches and screens as part of its Moorish design, opened in 1897 and have been fully restored with a plunge pool, steam room and sauna as well as rooms of various temperatures to relax in.
Read more:
- Harrogate’s Turkish Baths celebrates 125th birthday
- Leon confirms Harrogate closure amid speculation over site’s future
Laughing gas discovery fuels fears for young people in Harrogate district
A dog walker has expressed concern after discovering 10 canisters of laughing gas dumped by the side of the road.
John Chadwick stumbled across the canisters on the rural Gravelly Hill Lane in Huby.
Nitrous oxide, commonly known as laughing gas, is the second most-used drug among UK 16- to 24-year-olds. It can induce euphoria and relaxation, as well as hallucinations.
The drug can lead to various health problems but is not currently illegal to possess. However, selling it to children is prohibited.
Mr Chadwick said this was the first time he’d seen the canisters and it “highlights what I believe is becoming an increasing health and behavioural issue predominately amongst younger people”.
He added:
“I’ve heard lots about it on phone-ins, I guess maybe I didn’t expect it in a rural environment. In that sense it was a bit of a shock – a bit like seeing a few old fridges dumped. A violation of our village.
“I am concerned that what could be seen as some harmless fun could escalate into something worse.
“Had somebody driven to this place to inhale the gas for fun and then driven off? In that case there is a danger to the perpetrator and others. Or was it just littering?”

The canisters were dumped by the side of a rural lane.
A North Yorkshire Police spokesman said:
“There are significant dangers associated with using nitrous oxide. Inhaling it can lead to unconsciousness and ultimately suffocation as the body is essentially starved of oxygen.
“There is also evidence to show that people with heart conditions can be at risk of higher harm and that inhalation can lead to anaemia or long-term nerve damage.
“We would ask parents to be vigilant for the signs that their children may be purchasing the substance online.
“Anyone who is found guilty of supplying nitrous oxide could face up to six months in prison or an unlimited fine.”
Read more:
- Children in North Yorkshire face two-year wait for mental disorder assessment
- County council plans programme to tackle children being ‘enticed’ to vape
Police stop convoy of suspected stolen vehicles near Ripon
A large number of North Yorkshire Police cars descended on a village near Ripon to intercept a convoy of suspected stolen vehicles.
According to police, patrol vehicles acting on information received spotted three vehicles travelling along the A19 and A168 southbound near Thirsk.
The three vehicles — a Nissan Navara, a Range Rover Sport and a Mercedes van carrying two Land Rovers — were then stopped by officers in Sharow, near Ripon.
A police statement said:
“Officers checked the vehicle identification numbers of all the vehicles and several were suspected to be fake.
“Three people, two men and a woman, all in their 30s and from the Cleveland area, were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to steal motor vehicles. The woman was further arrested on suspicion of driving whilst disqualified. They remain in custody at this time.
“All of the vehicles were seized and taken to a secure location for forensic searches and further enquiries.”
A Sharow resident who witnessed the police operation, said he had never seen so many police vehicles in the village.
The villager, who asked not to be named, said he noticed eight police patrol cars.
Read more:
- ‘Once you’ve been to Bettys you’ve done Harrogate’, claims Ripon councillor
- ‘An absolute nonsense’: Ripon’s £85,000 regeneration plan thrown into doubt
‘We will carry him in our hearts forever’ — family’s tribute to Harrogate teen Seb Mitchell
The grieving family of 17-year-old Seb Mitchell, who died following an incident in Harrogate, have issued a photograph and a tribute to their ‘beautiful, funny, talented boy’.
Harrogate Grammar School student Seb died in hospital on February 21 following the incident on Claro Road two days earlier.
A 16-year-old boy has been charged in connection with the incident and is due to appear in court again in the near future, North Yorkshire Police said in a statement today.
The police statement included the family’s tribute, which said:
“Seb was our beautiful, funny, talented boy.
“There are no words to describe how we feel now that he has been so cruelly taken from us.
“We will carry him in our hearts forever.”
Police social media plea
North Yorkshire Police also issued a plea urging people not to speculate on the incident.
“We are aware of social media posts naming the boy who has been charged and also speculating on the circumstances of Seb’s death.
“It is really important that nobody does this.
“This is because once someone has been charged with an offence, it is illegal to publish anything that could influence a jury and affect a person’s right to a fair trial. This includes claiming to know what happened or speculating about the circumstances of his death. Publishing includes uploading posts and comments to social media.
“Also, suspects who are under the age of 18 have anonymity in law. Therefore it is illegal to name them on social media as the suspect in a case.
“We would therefore strongly urge anyone who has posted comments or photos naming the suspect in the case or speculated about the circumstances, to remove them urgently.”
Read more:
- Harrogate Grammar School pays tribute to Seb Mitchell
- Harrogate Mojo bid to open until 6.30am approved