Two people have been arrested after police pulled over a car last night and found suspected class A drugs.
Officers from Operation Expedite, the county lines drugs team at North Yorkshire Police, stopped the vehicle.
Harrogate traffic police officer Sgt Paul Cording, who along with Harrogate traffic constable David Minto assisted the other officers, tweeted shortly after 5am:
“A search of the occupants revealed a number of clear bags containing believed class A drugs. Driver and passenger arrested and enquiries ongoing.”
This vehicle stopped by myself & @TC174_NYP along with our colleagues from #OpExpedite in #Harrogate A search of the occupants reveals a number of clear bags containing believed Class A drugs. Driver & passenger arrested & enquiries ongoing #NotInOurCounty #RoadsPolicing pic.twitter.com/BWx1zv9Al3
— Sgt Paul Cording BEM (@OscarRomeo1268) November 12, 2021
North Yorkshire Police appoints new deputy chief constable
North Yorkshire Police has appointed a new deputy chief constable following the retirement of Phil Cain, who had been with the force for more than 20 years.
Mabs Hussain, who is currently with Greater Manchester Police as assistant chief constable, will take up the role on January 3.
Prior to his time in Manchester, Mr Hussain spent 22 years at West Yorkshire Police where he served at every rank as a detective.
As chief superintendent, he was the commander for Wakefield and also spent time as commander for the Leeds district. He was awarded an MBE in 2018 for his services to charity and policing.

Mr Hussain said:
“Yorkshire is very close to my heart, as I was born here and I also live here. I will be working hard to ensure that North Yorkshire remains one of the safest places to live and visit in the UK.”
Read more:
- Covid deaths at Harrogate hospital approaching 200 mark
- Still no decision on future of Harrogate’s Crescent Gardens
Chief constable Lisa Winward added:
“His extensive policing background and experience will be a credit to the force and I am very much looking forward to working with him as part of our chief officer team.”
Jenni Newberry, acting North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner, said:
“Our executive management team has been involved in this selection process which was made difficult in the best of ways by the quality of the candidates being considered.”
Mr Cain is paid £123,648. A North Yorkshire Police spokeswoman said it didn’t have the information yet on Mr Hussain’s salary.
Pictured: (left to right): New North Yorkshire Police deputy chief constable Mabs Hussain, acting police, fire and crime commissioner Jenni Newberry and chief constable Lisa Winward.
Police cordon lifted after hand grenade discovered in HarrogateA Harrogate street has returned to normality after bomb squad officers dealt with a hand grenade in a garden.
Police cordoned off three streets in Bilton after the discovery on Gordon Avenue, just off Bilton Lane, late this morning.
A bomb disposal unit from the Ministry of Defence rushed to the street, which is between Richard Taylor Church of England Primary School and Bilton Cricket Club.
The team departed at about 1.40pm and the police cordon was lifted and people allowed to return to their homes.
A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Police said:
“An explosive device was found by a member of the public in their garden at a property on Gordon Avenue today.
“Police evacuated a small number of houses whilst the MOD made an assessment on the device.
“The MOD recovered the device and the cordon is now lifted.”
Read more:
- Police cordon off Harrogate streets after ‘bomb discovery’
- Overnight road closures on A1(M) near Harrogate
A resident on Gordon Avenue told the Stray Ferret about the “mad moment” police knocked on their door.
The resident, who requested anonymity, was evacuated at around 12.30pm, said:
“This is obviously not something that happens everyday, it is quite mad really. Definitely rare for Harrogate.
“We saw that the police were on the street. The next minute the officers were knocking on my door.
“They said that they had called in the bomb squad because the neighbour had found a bomb.
“Not everyone was evacuated, just the residents who live quite close by. Police were quick to get people away.”
Police cordon off Harrogate streets after ‘bomb discovery’Police have cordoned off three streets in Harrogate after a resident found what they believed to be an unexploded shell in their garden.
Bomb disposal unit from the Ministry of Defence (MoD) are currently on the scene.
A small number of houses have been evacuated in the area. There is currently a police cordon and scene guard on Gordon Avenue, Hall Lane and Bilton Lane.
Residents have been told to stay indoors and avoid the area if possible.

North Yorkshire Police have cordoned off Gordon Avenue.
A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Police said:
“It was found by a member of the public in their garden at a property on Gordon Avenue today.
“Police have evacuated a small number of houses whilst we await the arrival of the MOD to make an assessment on the device.
“A scene guard and cordon is currently in place on Gordon Avenue, Hall Lane and Bilton Lane.”
This is a breaking news story, which we will update as we gather more information. We have sent a reporter to the scene.
Bilton residents voice frustration over crime at public meetingThere was frustration and anger at a meeting of Bilton and Woodfield Residents’ Association last night about crime and anti-social behaviour in the area.
Residents voiced criticism towards North Yorkshire Police for a perceived lack of action over the issue.
The meeting was held at Bilton Grange United Reform Church and residents asked questions to a panel that included PC Brendan Frith from NYP, Bilton Conservative councillors Matt Scott and Paul Haslam, Liberal Democrat councillor and Mayor of Harrogate Trevor Chapman and Julia Stack from Harrogate Borough Council’s safer communities team.
It was chaired by Reverend Alan Crump who invited questions from around 30 residents that were in attendance.
The main topic of debate was anti-social behaviour and crime with several questions focusing on issues around the Woodfield Road and Albany Avenue areas of Bilton.
One person received a round of applause after they said the area had deteriorated.
“I’ve been on this street for 50 years and it’s never been like this. Good neighbours are moving out and we are sick of it”.
Another said:
“We’re stuck here but we’re not living the lives we want to live. Nothing gets done.”
Cllr Scott, whose Bilton ward includes Woodfield Road, said he is in regular contact with residents of Albany Avenue about what he called “a very complex situation”.
He added:
“There is an issue with tenants who don’t respect neighbours. That isn’t right. They are being let down by a small minority.”.
Read More:
- CCTV to tackle anti-social behaviour on Bilton’s mural bridge
- Police arrest two men after damage to properties in Bilton
Andrew Hart, the owner of Bilton’s post office, said the community police officers in Bilton were doing a “good job” but his reports of suspected drug dealing had been ignored. Other residents told the panel that they did not have faith that their reports to police would be followed up.
Mr Hart said:
“I sent names of drug dealers dealing crack to NYP. Did I get a response? No, nothing seems to happen and you feel like you’ve interrupted them.”
In response, PC Frith said the police often need more information before they can take action. Cllr Haslam also urged residents to report any suspected criminality to the police.
PC Frith said:
“We need a lot of information. If we want warrants for a drugs bust we need information from more than one person. We need to be sure that we will get results.”
Speeding
Also discussed was speeding in Bilton, with calls to make the whole of the Harrogate suburb a 20mph zone.
Cllr Scott said he was in favour of traffic calming measures in Bilton but there were obstacles to overcome.
“Getting a 20 mph zone is not as easy as I’d like it to be. I can’t wave a magic wand and get them.”
PC Frith reiterated that the public must report to the police issues of crime or anti-social behaviour, including speeding.
Police say wanted sex offender who is ‘danger to women’ could be in Harrogate“We’ve had zero reports of speeding on Woodfield Road. We know it’s happening but we need reports.”
Police are searching for a man with links to Harrogate after he failed to appear in court.
Stephen Thrower was due in court for failing to comply with with the requirements of his sex offenders registration.
A warrant was issued for his arrest after he didn’t turn up.
West Yorkshire Police said in a tweet today the 53-year-old was as a danger to women and should not be approached.
Read More:
-
‘Deep shame and regret’ at former Harrogate vicar’s child sex offences
-
Harrogate’s Ashville College reports battery thefts after travellers depart
He has a number of tattoos, including a swallow, eagle, tiger and dagger on his right arm.
Thrower has links to Harrogate, York and Bradford and police believe he could be employed as a fairground worker.
Police urge anyone who sees him to call 999.
Travellers leave Ashville College without causing damageA group of travellers who set up camp at Ashville College in Harrogate have now vacated the sports field without causing any damage.
The travellers parked up their caravans at the fee-paying school’s rugby pitch on Tuesday evening. A spokesman for the college said they were prepared to leave immediately for £5,000.
According to the spokesman, the group are on their way to a wedding in Ireland after attending the annual Appleby Horse Fair in Cumbria.
The school was concerned that if the group stayed for a prolonged period then it could have to delay the start of the new term on September 8.
Ashville College called the police and started the court process to evict them.
Read more:
- Travellers set up camp at Harrogate’s Ashville College – and demand £5,000 to leave
- ‘Significant hurdles’ could delay moves to evict Ashville College travellers
However, after less than two days the travellers hitched up their caravans and moved on. The college said they left of their own accord.
Groundskeeping staff at Ashville College then carried out an inspection of the field and found no damage.
So Ashville’s series of summer sports activities can now resume outdoors after the presence of travellers forced the school to take it inside.
A spokesman for Ashville College told the Stray Ferret this morning:
‘Moving breakdown truck drops car into fence’ in Harrogate“We are pleased to report that after less than two days, the travellers that set up camp on our sports pitches have now vacated the grounds.
“Our groundskeeping staff have conducted a thorough inspection of the rugby fields and can confirm that there is no damage, and that they are safe for games to be resumed.”
An eyewitness has described the moment a moving breakdown truck dropped a car, which then rolled into a fence in Harrogate near where children play.
The incident happened at about 9.20pm last night on Roberts Crescent.
A police cordon remains in place today on the street, which is just off Skipton Road, and there is also a broken fence.
The eyewitness, who asked not to be named, told the Stray Ferret:
“I walked past the field last night when a white tow truck was offloading a car as it was still driving off.
“As a result the car smashed through the fence of the field, causing a really loud noise. It’s a blessing it wasn’t an hour before because I saw kids playing there.
“The police soon turned up and taped off the smashed fence. I’m not sure of the outcome but there were lots of people out when officers investigated with torches.”
We approached North Yorkshire Police to confirm the account but received no reply by the time of publication.
Read more:
- Police boss ‘confident’ officers have a grip on crime in Ripon
- Appeal after rare motorbike stolen in Harrogate

The police cordon on Roberts Crescent.
An arsonist set fire to an historic Grade II listed Knaresborough pub where the owners live.
Blind Jack’s, on Market Place, was damaged in the blaze which was started at around 4am on Sunday morning.
Owners Christian and Alice Ogley were away at the time of the fire so nobody was injured.
The fire service managed to put out the blaze and police officers tracked down a suspect and arrested him.
However, it will take a highly-skilled craftsman to replace the badly damaged entrance as the windows and door is around 200-years-old. There is also smoke damage inside.
The pub is named after Knaresborough’s John Metcalf, the first professional road builder to emerge in the Industrial Revolution.
Mr Ogley told the Stray Ferret:
“Luckily a local had just gotten back from a stag do in Leeds. He had decided to cut through Market Place where he saw the fire.
“He banged on the door because he knew we lived there and then called 999. Without him it would have been much worse.”
Since news of the fire got out, Christian and Alice have been inundated with messages and offers of support. He added:
“That is the best thing to come out of this. We have had so many kind messages and treats from local people and businesses.
“We managed to open last night. So many people came to offer their support. All of this positivity has really outweighed the negativity.”
Read more:
- Olympian Adam Peaty inspires young swimmers in Harrogate
- Swedish-inspired cafe concept launches in Harrogate
While the pub will get a temporary replacement, the owners will need to get in experts to fix entrance which may force it to close for a few days in the near future.
A North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said:
“Crews were called to a report of a door of a building on fire. Crews extinguished this using a hose reel jet. This was believed to have been deliberate.”
A North Yorkshire Police spokesperson said:
Council exploring ways to keep travellers off Knaresborough park“Police were called to Blind Jack’s pub in Knaresborough after reports that a man had set fire to the front door.
“Officers arrested a 44 year old man on suspicion of arson and he was later released under investigation.”
Harrogate Borough Council is exploring ways to prevent travellers from using Hay-a-Park as a professional clean up operation gets underway.
Volunteers from Knaresborough Wombles had planned to help out. But police deemed it a health hazard due to human excrement and warned the group to stay away this morning.
So Harrogate Borough Council has stepped in and sent in staff to survey the site and clear it in a safe manner. It’s unclear at this stage how long the process will take.
The council had served the travellers with an eviction notice on August 3 but the group only left yesterday.
We sent a reporter down to Hay-a-Park today who found piles of rubbish across the area, a trashed outbuilding and a strong smell of faeces.
Read more:
- Knaresborough travellers site deemed health hazard due to human excrement
- Court action begins to remove travellers in Knaresborough
Once the council workers restore the park, officers will look into ways to prevent illegal encampments in the future.
Cllr Andy Bell, who serves the Scriven ward on Knaresborough Town Council and set up Knaresborough Wombles, told the Stray Ferret:
“In terms of what happens in the next few days we will need professionals with proper equipment to come and sanitise the site.
“Then we will have to look at ways to secure that site and maybe try to find a specific area for the travellers to stay.
“Next year we are looking at how we can handle the situation in a different way.”
A Harrogate Borough Council spokesman said:
“Now that the travellers have moved on we are in the process of clearing the site. We are also exploring other options to prevent further illegal encampments in the future.”
A police spokesman said:
“This is a council matter. We attended to tape off the area to protect the public prior to the council attending to deal with it.”
More pictures:


