Harrogate and Knaresborough MP Andrew Jones has defended a crime bill that gives police new powers to deal with protests after it was criticised as a “fundamental attack” on freedom of speech.
The Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill covers major government proposals on crime and justice, including changes to protests.
The bill passed its first hurdle this week after an overwhelming vote in favour by Conservative MPs.
All three Conservative MPs whose constituencies include the Harrogate district — Jones, Skipton and Ripon MP Julian Smith and Selby and Ainsty MP Nigel Adams — supported it.
The protest measures drawn up by ministers and police chiefs will mean more conditions are imposed on static demonstrations, including start and finish times, noise limits and penalties for activists causing “serious annoyance”.
At a meeting of North Yorkshire County Council’s Harrogate and Knaresborough Area Committee today, Liberal Democrat councillor David Goode described the bill as a “a fundamental attack on our democratic rights”.
He said it would “significantly restrict” people’s rights to hold peaceful protests and asked Mr Jones why he voted for it.
Mr Jones responded:
“The underlying principle of freedom of speech and freedom to protest is absolutely unchanged.
“This is about making sure we can protest in a way which doesn’t stop people getting to work or a hospital appointment.
“It is possible to protest without impacting others so what we need to strike therefore is that balance and that is what the bill does.”
Read more:
- Andrew Jones MP calls for debate on stricken conference sector
- Andrew Jones MP ‘shocked’ by ‘inadequate’ free school meals
The bill’s second reading was passed by 359 votes to 263 on Tuesday. It also contains dozens of new measures to increase sentences for child killers and other violent criminals, as well as tougher penalties for attacks on police officers and changes to sexual offences legislation.
The most controversial part, however, are the reforms on protests, which garnered extra interest after scenes of police officers restraining women attending a vigil in memory of Sarah Everard in London on Saturday.
At present, police need to prove protesters knew they had been told to move on before they can be said to have broken the law.
The bill proposes an offence of “intentionally or recklessly causing public nuisance”, which is designed to stop people occupying public spaces to make themselves both seen and heard.
The new laws would also give Home Secretary Priti Patel the authority to define “serious disruption to the life of the community” and “serious disruption to the activities of an organisation” — a concept opponents argue is not clear enough.
Speaking at a debate in the House of Commons this week, the Home Secretary defended the proposed changes to peaceful protests which she said are a “cornerstone of democracy”.
She said:
Man charged after police officer struck by car in Harrogate“This bill will give police the powers to take a more proactive approach in tackling dangerous and disruptive protests. The threshold at which the police can impose conditions on the use of noise at a protest is rightfully high.
“The majority of protesters will be able to continue to act, make noise as they do so now without police intervention.
“But we are changing it to allow the police to put conditions on noisy protests that cause significant disruption to those in the vicinity. As with all our proposals, the police response will still need to be proportionate.”
A 30-year-old man has been charged with three offences after a police officer suffered a fractured kneecap in Harrogate on Tuesday.
The man has been charged with causing serious injury by dangerous driving, driving whilst disqualified and use of a motor vehicle without third party insurance.
The incident happened at 3.20pm when officers approached a suspicious vehicle in Bewerley Road, Harrogate.
A male police officer underwent surgery and has remained in hospital since the incident.
A 35-year-old man and a 24-year-old woman who were also arrested have been released on conditional bail.
All three people are from Leeds. North Yorkshire Police has not revealed any names.
Read More:
North Yorks police commissioner candidate urges MPs to oppose police bill
The Liberal Democrat candidate for North Yorkshire police commissioner has called on the county’s MPs to vote against the government’s police bill.
James Barker, a City of York councillor who is standing for commissioner at the elections in May, described the legislation as “draconian”.
The Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill includes measures for noise limits on protests, stronger powers for police to break up “unauthorised encampments” and longer sentences for serious crimes.
MPs will vote the legislation, which is at its second reading, tonight.
Read more:
- Political parties confirm candidates for police commissioner elections
- County council elections postponed until May 2022
Mr Barker said the right to protest was a “fundamental part” of democracy and called on MPs to oppose the bill.
He said:
“The bill contains some proposals that are worthy of support, such as maximum sentences for low-level assaults against emergency service workers being doubled to two years and community sentences for less serious crime to help address underlying problems in offenders’ lives, but the government has got it badly wrong in trying to stifle people’s freedom to protest.
“The right to peaceful protest is a fundamental part of any functioning democracy.
“The police already have extensive powers in this area and I am concerned that what is being proposed in this bill will impact on people’s freedom of speech and right to protest. For this reason I am therefore calling on North Yorkshire’s MPs to oppose this bill.”
Voters in the Harrogate district will go to the polls on May 6 to elect a new police, fire and crime commissioner for North Yorkshire.
Julia Mulligan, who currently holds the role, will not be standing for re-election.
The main political parties have confirmed candidates as follows:
- Philip Allott, Conservative Party
- Alison Hume, Labour Party
- James Barker, Liberal Democrats
- Keith Tordoff, Independent
The deadline to register to vote in the May elections is April 19. You can register to vote here.
Police appeal after watches stolen from Kearby homeNorth Yorkshire Police has appealed for information after an unspecified number of watches were stolen from a house in Kearby, near Harrogate.
The incident happened between 7pm and 11.30pm on Saturday, March 13.
According to police, suspects entered a secure window and stole the watches from a bedroom.
Kearby is a small village in the south of the Harrogate district, near Kirkby Overblow.
Police hope the public can help establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident.
They are particularly interested to hear from anyone who saw anything suspicious in the area at the time.
Anyone with information can call North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option two and ask for Elizabeth Estensen. Or they can email the officer via elizabeth.estensen@northyorkshire.pnn.police.uk.
To remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 and quote reference number 12210077196.
Read more:
- North Yorkshire Police said no action was taken after a vigil was held for Sarah Everard in York.
- Man who killed a grandmother in a crash near Kirk Deighton has been jailed.
£80,000 awarded for Harrogate district road safety schemes
North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner Julia Mulligan has awarded £80,000 to road safety schemes in the Harrogate district.
The projects have been part-funded by the sale of the force’s historic AJ1 number plate.
Communities, parish and town councils were invited to put forward projects that improved road safety for children and young people, cyclists, motorcyclists and older road users.
Applications exceeded by four-times the amount available.
In total, £350,000 was awarded to 81 schemes across North Yorkshire, with the following projects in the Harrogate district amongst them:
- £20,000 to make it safer to walk to Woodfield Community Primary School in Bilton.
- £13,000 to improve lighting on the River Ure bridge in Boroughbridge.
- £3,000 for an LED speed light sign in Spofforth.
- £4,000 for traffic calming measures in North Rigton.
- £2,750 for traffic calming measures in Follifoot.
- £19,000 to help reduce speeding in Scotton.
- £2,000 for a chicane in Sicklinghall.
- £3,000 for a pedestrian island on the A61 in Pannal.
- £1,000 for an LED speed light sign in Boroughbridge.
- £2,000 for a speed sign in Minskip.
- £2,000 for speed control measures in Burton Leonard.
- £1,000 for improving road safety in Dacre.
- £500 to improve road safety in Flaxby.
- £3,500 for a speed limit reminder in Masham.
- £500 to improve a pavement in Masham.
- £900 for a mobile speed sign in Pateley Bridge.
- £1,300 for a considerate driving campaign in Kirkby Malzeard.
Read more:
- Police issue covid fine warning to cyclists
- Police commissioner candidate promises action on dog thefts
The majority of funding came from the sale of the AJ1 number plate, which was the first registered number plate in North Yorkshire and had been used by every chief constable since 1907. It sold at auction in 2019 for £243,000.
A total of £190,000 of this was earmarked for the road safety scheme, as well as £165,000 from community funds held by Ms Mulligan’s office.
Ms Mulligan said:
Police commissioner candidate promises action on dog thefts““Although the AJ1 numberplate will always have a historical connection to North Yorkshire Police, the impact these schemes will have confirms why it was right to use the value of the registration mark to make a real impact on people’s lives.
“These projects will improve lives – and I am sure they will also save lives – by making our roads and the communities they pass through safer for people however they use them.”
The Conservative candidate for the North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner elections has pledged to take a tougher stance on dog theft.
Philip Allott, who lives in Knaresborough, believes many frustrated dog owners feel some police forces treat the crime as low priority.
Mr Allott highlighted a survey showing dog thefts increased by 250% last year due to gangs cashing in on the demand for puppies during lockdown.
Sought-after breeds, such as French bulldogs, can sell for more than £5,000 and a litter can fetch £35,000.
If elected, Mr Allott would not be able to change operational police policy but he pledged to lobby those who can.

Last week he discussed dog thefts on a group call with Home Secretary Priti Patel, who said she would consider further action.
Voters will go to the polls on May 6 to elect a successor to Julia Mulligan.
The North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner election was delayed last year due to covid.
Read more:
- Political parties confirm candidates for police commissioner elections
- Police appeal after Killinghall collision
Mr Allott told the Stray Ferret today:
“The rising prices of dogs have made them a target for criminals. Most would probably make more money stealing a dog than a wallet.
“Laws are now relatively robust with sentences up to five years but many criminals receive just a caution or a fine.
“PFCCs cannot change the law but we can make representations. I have already been on a call with the Home Secretary and I have also shared a survey on Twitter.”
The following candidates so far have announced they are standing for election as commissioner:
- Philip Allott, Conservative Party
- Alison Hume, Labour Party
- James Barker, Liberal Democrats
- Keith Tordoff, Independent
The final list of nominations will be published on April 9.
Harrogate murder suspect named in courtA 23-year-old Harrogate man charged with murder has been named in court this morning.
Daniel Liam Ainsley, of no fixed abode, appeared at York Magistrates Court today, where he did not enter a plea.
Magistrates sent the case to Leeds Crown Court, where it is due to be heard on Wednesday morning.
Mark Wolsey died on Friday at a flat on Mayfield Grove after sustaining serious injuries.

The police released this picture of Mark Wolsey.
North Yorkshire Police said yesterday it had increased patrols in the area but told residents that it was a “contained incident” and that the public was not at risk.
Read more:
- Arrest after suspected murder in central Harrogate
- Suspected Harrogate murder: police forensics enter home
- Harrogate murder suspect named in court
The force has appealed for anyone with information to call 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111. The incident number is 12210072144.
Police name Harrogate murder victim and charge suspectPolice have charged a 23-year-old man with murder after a Harrogate man was found dead on Friday night.
Mark Wolsey has been named as the victim, who paramedics pronounced as dead at 10pm on Mayfield Grove.
Mr Wolsey was found with serious injuries before he died and police said they detained the supect “very quickly.”
His family asked police to share the above photo of him and are being supported by specially-trained officers.

Police on Mayfield Grove on Saturday.
The suspect, who is also from Harrogate, remains in custody and will appear at York Magistrates Court on Monday.
North Yorkshire Police has increased patrols in the area but has told residents that it is a “contained incident” and that the public was not at risk.
The force has appealed for anyone with information to call 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111. The incident number is 12210072144.
Read more:
- Arrest after suspected murder in central Harrogate
- Suspected Harrogate murder: police forensics enter home
Detective Superintendent Fran Naughton, who is leading the investigation, said:
Harrogate man speeding at 126mph was also breaking lockdown rules“Our investigation is well under way and we can confirm this was a contained incident.
“A man is now in police custody and we do not believe there is any wider risk to the public.
“However, many residents will be understandably anxious about what has happened. There will be a greater police presence in the area, which we hope residents will find reassuring, and officers will be working closely with the community.
“Our specially-trained officers are supporting the deceased man’s family at this difficult time.”
A Harrogate man broke lockdown and speeding rules when he was caught driving at 126 miles an hour on the way to Scarborough.
North Yorkshire Police said today the man had picked up a woman from York and they were on their way to Scarborough when they were caught near Stainton.
When questioned by officers they explained that they “just wanted to go for a drive”, which was not considered to be a reasonable excuse for being outside during lockdown.
Sergeant Daniel Thompson, of Scarborough’s neighbourhood policing team, said at a North Yorkshire coronavirus press briefing today:
“One of the safety cameras on the A64 sighted a vehicle travelling at 126mph. I managed to stop that vehicle as it approached Stainton.
“There were two people in the vehicle. A man who travelled from Harrogate who picked up the woman from York. They were travelling from York to Scarborough for a drive.
“That was the only purpose. They were from two different households and travelled significant distance. The speeding was putting themselves and others at risk.
“Just going for a drive was not a reasonable excuse. We tell these people to just do their bit and as the police we will continue to do our bit.”
Police and public health leaders are increasingly concerned about the number of people breaking lockdown rules as the weather improves.
Read more:
- Matt Hancock praises Harrogate’s rapid vaccine response
- Harrogate district records fewest covid cases for six months
North Yorkshire Police said today it has handed out 255 lockdown fines in the last seven days, which is a 33% increase on last week.
Superintendent Mike Walker, North Yorkshire Police’s lead on the coronavirus response, said:
North Yorkshire Police launches campaign to target drivers on mobile phones“We are starting to see a concerning trend. Over the last few weeks we have reported increasing numbers of fines that the police are handing out.
“There has been a significant upturn in the numbers. We handed out 255 fines in the last week, with 169 in the last weekend alone.
“We believe the figures are influenced by the good weather but officers are reporting that there has been a change of behaviour since the government released its roadmap.”
Police will be patrolling the Harrogate district’s main roads in a HGV cab as part of a new campaign to catch drivers using mobile phones.
North Yorkshire Police said today it had borrowed the cab to give them a better view to detect mobile phone use and other dangerous behaviour.
The campaign, named Operation Tramline, follows a similar initiative last year that caught a man who took both hands off the wheel to use his phone and a lorry driver who rolled a cigarette.
Highways England, which runs Operation Tramline nationally and owns three unmarked cabs, is loaning the vehicle.
Traffic Constable Mark Patterson, of North Yorkshire Police’s roads policing group, said he had seen people lose their lives because motorists got distracted. He added:
“All drivers on our roads know using a mobile phone while driving is wrong. But nobody thinks they’ll be the driver that causes one of those incidents.
“Catching those offences as they happen, then using enforcement and education is one way we can make our roads safer for everyone.
“Using Highways England’s HGV cab during Op Tramline is an excellent way to do that, as it gives us an unparalleled vantage point.”
Read more:
- North Yorkshire police prepare for ‘influx of visitors’ as lockdown eases
- Political parties confirm candidates for police commissioner elections
Several other roads policing units also take part in the operation.
If officers in the lorry see an offence taking place, it is recorded by the passenger. Marked units then pull the vehicle over and the driver is dealt with immediately.

The HGV cab loaned to police.
Last year North Yorkshire Police also discovered:
- A tractor driver, who shouldn’t even have been on the motorway, driving whilst using a mobile phone who still had alcohol in his system from drinking the previous night.
- A disqualified driver, driving an overweight van and trailer and using his phone at the same time.
- Drivers of various vehicles seen reading/checking paperwork whilst driving on the motorway.
- Various drivers seen talking on their phones, some completely oblivious to the fact that they were being recorded.
The drivers received fixed penalty notices, which typically include a fine and points on their licence.