Car crashes into parked cars on Harrogate street

Police are appealing for witnesses after a car crashed into two parked vehicles in Harrogate and then drove off.

The incident happened at 7.25pm yesterday on Roseville Avenue.

North Yorkshire Police said in a statement a light metallic blue hatchback turned right off Roseville Road onto Roseville Avenue.

The driver of the hatchback then crashed into the two parked cars, causing “significant damage” to one of them.


Read more:


The hatchback then drove off without stopping to exchange details and was last seen heading towards Granby Road, police said.

Police said the hatchback involved is likely to have damage to its front nearside.

Anyone with information can contact the police on 101, quoting reference 12210049523.

Social media campaign to defy lockdown raises concern

Harrogate district businesses will be fined if they defy the national lockdown to take part in the ‘Great Reopening’.

Those leading North Yorkshire’s coronavirus response have picked up on a growing movement on social media. Organisers encourage people to approach shops and restaurants in their area with posters.

They are concerned of the impact on coronavirus infection rates and the NHS if people take part this Saturday.

Ten thousand people have joined the national group called the ‘Great Reopening’ on messaging app Telegram.


Read more:


Richard Webb, director of adult care at North Yorkshire County Council, told a North Yorkshire Local Resilience Forum meeting that the council, police and other agencies would not hesitate to take action.

He said:

“Yesterday we were made aware of a campaign doing the rounds across the north of England which urges business to have what they’ve called a great reopening on January 30.

“First of all, can I thank all North Yorkshire businesses for complying with the closure requirements during lockdown. I know how tough it is for so many businesses both economically and on your health and wellbeing.

“My plea to all businesses is to ignore this campaign. There will be no great reopening on January 30. I would ask that you continue to act as you have been doing throughout this lockdown and before that and that we fight together this deadly virus.

“My warning to those who choose to take part in this campaign, the enforcement authorities the police, trading standards, environmental health and others will have no choice but to take enforcement action against you.”

Harrogate elderly women ‘thought they would die’ in police crash

Two elderly Harrogate women thought they were going to die when an undercover police officer crashed into their car on the Otley Road.

Detective Constable Quita Passmore was responding to reports of officers in distress at 10pm on May 5, 2018.

The officer was driving an undercover car with blue lights and sirens on. She had been travelling at around 50 miles per hour before she collided with the elderly women.

She had gone through the red lights at the junction with Cold Bath Road, a jury at Bradford Crown Court heard today.


Read more:


The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) carried out an investigation into the crash and passed its findings onto the Crown Prosecution Service ahead of the case.

Mr Dunn, the prosecuting barrister, told the court:

“The officer was going too fast at 50 miles per hour in the circumstances. The red light was showing for nine seconds to safely negotiate that junction at that speed.

“It was too fast in all the circumstances, say the prosecution. She was going too fast to stop on her side of the road and failed to yield for a red traffic light.

“Officers are entitled to disregard those traffic signals when responding to an emergency. There is no issue with the exemptions but it must be done safely.

“This was dangerous, say the prosecution.”

Victim statements

Both of the victims were retired elderly women. They suffered serious injuries, with the court hearing a list of broken bones and a punctured lung.

Patricia Bulmer, who was driving a red Vauxhall Corsa, told police in hospital after the crash:

“We had spent the day at a friend’s house and left around 10pm. I had driven up Cold Bath Road and turned onto the junction with Otley Road.

“Then there was an almighty smash and bang. The airbag flew into me. My friend was then making moaning noises at the side of me.

“After that, two ladies poked their heads through and said they would get us out of the car.”

Janet Roberton, who was the passenger in the car, also told police:

“I heard a loud siren type noise and saw lights to the right of the car. I just remember one of us shouting ‘oh my God, oh my God.’

“Then there was a loud bang, it was the most awful noise I have ever heard. My first thought was the we were going to die, it felt terrible.”

Detective Constable Quita Passmore has pleaded not guilt to two counts of dangerous driving.

The case continues.

Ripon youths break lockdown rules to attack residents

Youths in Ripon are breaking the national lockdown rules to attack residents, with police receiving a string of “distressing” reports in one day.

Police believe the incidents are linked with similar descriptions of small groups of teenagers between 14 and 18 years old.

Some of the reports include the youths throwing eggs and glass, spitting and punching people who challenged them and kicking at the heels of a postman.


Read more:


All of the incidents happened on Wednesday afternoon between 2pm and 3.30pm, according to the police reports.

Ripon City Police has released a statement to say that while there has been a “considerable reduction in incidents” as a result of lockdown:

“However, sadly, there appears to be a very small cohort of individuals intent on causing harm in our community and we are asking for your help and support in identifying those involved in several distressing incidents.

“Not only have these individuals caused distress, harm and injury to victims but they are breaking the lockdown rules, putting themselves and others at risk in the midst of a pandemic.

“These unprovoked attacks are distressing. It is likely that they are linked and we are doing all we can to identify those responsible to bring some justice for the victims affected.”

Police appeal for help finding fraudsters who conned woman, 80

Fraudsters pretending to be from a disability service stole three bank cards from a woman in her 80s in Summerbridge.

Police in Harrogate today issued a CCTV appeal to find the man and woman responsible.

The suspects took three bank cards and subsequently made fraudulent transactions in Ripon and Darlington.

The incident occurred on Hartwith Bank at around 4.45pm on October 14.

A North Yorkshire Police statement said:

“We are appealing for information which will help to identify the suspects, including anyone who recognises the person in the CCTV image, which is from TK Maxx in Darlington around an hour after the incident.


Read more:


Anyone with information can contact North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 2, and ask for Katie Bell.

You can also email katarina.bell@northyorkshire.pnn.police.uk.

If you wish to remain anonymous, you can pass information to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Quote the North Yorkshire Police reference number 12200181553.

Police to challenge rule breakers on Harrogate district roads and beauty spots

North Yorkshire Police has said it will challenge lockdown rule breakers on the Harrogate district’s roads and beauty spots.

Superintendent Mike Walker, the force’s lead for coronavirus, today set out the countywide policing strategy for the third national lockdown.

He said police presence and visibility would increase to “reassure” people, and anyone caught breaking the rules would be challenged and possibly fined up to £200.


Read more:


Supt Walker said:

“Under these new regulations, if you are outside of your home without a reasonable excuse, or gathering indoors or outdoors with others, the police can take enforcement action against you and you can be fined up to £200.

“I would also stress that it is important to stay as close to home as possible. While exercise is permitted, this should be done in your local area, preferably from your doorstep.

“The new restrictions have been put in place to limit people’s movements in order to suppress the spread of a deadly virus. If you travel further than is essential, you are putting yourself and those communities you visit at risk of contracting this virus.

“Our health service is at a crucial point and as a nation we face a very serious situation, so it’s vital that we stick to the rules and stop the spread of the virus.”

 

Pateley Bridge police station to be sold

Pateley Bridge’s police station is to be sold for an estimated £142,000 to save money.

The building on King Street will be offloaded and officers relocated in an effort to save £19,000 per year.

Julia Mulligan, North Yorkshire’s Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner, made the decision to sell the station shortly before Christmas after agreement with the force’s chief constable.

In a decision report, the commissioner said police officers will move to Harrogate Borough Council’s offices across the road.


Read more:


The report added the sale could bring in £142,000 on top of the estimated savings.

Ms Mulligan said the money could be reinvested in frontline policing and the decision was part of a strategy to relocate officers alongside other public and third sector services.

She added:

“Pateley Bridge station is a large building and is relatively expensive to run.  

“Whilst local officers and staff are based there, the building is far too large for the size of team based there.  

“New mobile working technology means officers are spending less time in the station and more time in the community, which has also affected how often the current station is occupied. This will decrease further as new applications are added to the technology.”

The commissioner said in the report that the front counter service, which is currently at Nidderdale Plus office due to coronavirus, will remain open.

Police recover stolen jewellery and medals

A treasure trove of stolen jewellery and medals, including some from the First World War, have been recovered by police.

North Yorkshire Police today appealed for people who may have lost the items to come forward.

It is urging anyone who suffered a burglary between August and October this year to check these photos and get in touch if they believe any belong to them.

The items include some distinctive items including First World War medals, one inscribed with the name DVR.P.WRIGHT.R.A., spirit level cufflinks, engraved signet rings and cufflinks, cluster rings, necklaces and gold chains.


Read more:


The force believes the items could have been stolen during burglaries in North Yorkshire and other parts of the country, including West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, Humberside, Sussex, Dorset, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, the West Midlands and Staffordshire.

Anyone wanting to get in touch with the police should contact David.Pegg@northyorkshire.pnn.police.uk or call 01904 618691, select option 2 and ask for Dave Pegg.

Treacherous roads in Harrogate district after heavy snowfall

Heavy snowfall overnight has caused treacherous driving conditions on major roads in the Harrogate district this morning.

Many areas woke up to a blanket of snow and ice, causing severe problems, especially in rural areas.

The North Yorkshire Weather Updates social media page showed dire conditions in Boroughbridge, with heavy snow covering streets.

Video by Carly Gibson

The same page also reported large vehicles were struggling to get up the hill on the A59 at Kex Gill due to hazardous road conditions. However by 9am the road appeared to be clear.

North Yorkshire Police warned people to drive carefully due to conditions on the A61 between Ripon and Harrogate.

The Stray Ferret asked North Yorkshire County Council, which is the highways authority, on which days it had gritted the roads since Christmas Day and what its policy is on deciding when to use gritters,

We had not received a response by the time of publication but the council has tweeted this morning that its gritting crews are on call 24 hours a day from October to April and are treating roads.

A similar tweet was posted on Christmas Day but nothing on travel since despite snow and flooding causing problems in the district.


Read more:


The Met Office issued a yellow warning for snow and ice yesterday and warned that up to four inches of snow could fall over the Pennines and North York Moors.

The outlook in the district looks set to improve throughout today with light cloud throughout the afternoon into the evening.

However, temperatures are forecast to drop below zero again overnight.

£1,000 worth of jewellery stolen in Knaresborough

Police are appealing for information after £1,000 worth of jewellery was stolen from two homes in Knaresborough yesterday.

The burglaries took place at Hilton Lane and Park Row between 10.30am and 6pm.

North Yorkshire Police is appealing for information about any jewellery seen for sale on local social media sites or in shops. The items include a silver ring with gold love hearts and a Tiffany necklace with a silver heart attached.


Read more:


Anyone with information can contact North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 2, and ask for PC Mark Nursey. You can also email mark.nursey@northyorkshire.pnn.police.uk

Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Quote reference number 12200235413.