Five arrests after thieves hit Harrogate building sites

Police have arrested five people after thieves targeted building sites in the Harrogate district.

Officers travelled to South Yorkshire to make the arrests and seize property this morning after a string of thefts between March and November.

The thieves stole newly-installed boilers as well as machinery and tools.

In North Yorkshire alone, criminals struck at abound 40 housing developments when the homes were close to completion. A number of the developments were in the Harrogate district although precise details are not known.


Read more:


Detective Inspector Chris Stone, of North Yorkshire Police, said:

“These incidents clearly involved high-value, organised crime, and had a significant impact.

“Not only businesses within North Yorkshire, but house buyers due to move in to their new properties.

“Significant resources have been deployed into this investigation, leading to today’s arrests.

“We are actively pursuing further lines of enquiry, and will continue to robustly investigate these offences.”

The police arrested a man in his 40s from Doncaster and three men in their 30s from Barnsley on suspicion of conspiracy to commit burglary and transferring criminal property.

Officers also arrested a woman in her 20s from Barnsley on suspicion of conspiracy to commit burglary

All remain in custody at this time while the police conduct the investigation.

55 drivers arrested in Christmas drink and drug campaign

North Yorkshire Police has arrested more than 50 drivers already in its annual Christmas drink and drug driving campaign.

In an update published today, the force said it had arrested 55 people on suspicion of driving over the limit since the start of the month. Eight happened after collisions.

One man in his 20s from Scarborough has been arrested twice: once on December 8 and again yesterday morning on suspicion of drug driving.

He has been released under investigation while enquiries, including blood tests are completed.


Read more:


The total number of arrests is similar to last year at the same stage.

Police have warned that many more drivers are likely to be arrested before the campaign finishes at the end of the month.

Traffic sergeant Andy Morton said:

“Anyone who’s convicted of drink driving faces at least a 12-month driving ban, which would mean losing your licence for the whole of 2021, possibly longer.

“They also get large fines, a criminal record and can even go to jail in some circumstances.

“Worse still, they stand a far greater chance of fatally injuring an innocent person. The risk is real, it happens here in North Yorkshire and it’s utterly devastating for the families who are left behind.

“So our message this year is simple – 2020’s been a terrible year. Don’t make it even worse by drink driving.

“There’s a good chance you will be caught, and if you are over the limit you will be prosecuted – there are no second chances.”

Teens arrested after another weekend of disturbances in Ripon

Police in Ripon have arrested two teenagers and said they will step-up patrols after another weekend of anti-social behaviour.

One teen has been charged with being drunk and disorderly; the other remains “under investigation”, the police said.

The force said Ripon suffered ‘several incidents of anti-social behaviour’ over the weekend, including teenagers throwing objects in the road and walking in front of cars.

A statement on Ripon City Police’s Facebook page said teenagers were not only committing anti-social behaviour but also ignoring covid warnings. The statement added:

“They do not register the risk and have stated it’s their choice.”


Read more:


The statement urged parents in Ripon to ask their children about their whereabouts last weekend. It added:

“We have increased officer presence and are proactively patrolling areas whilst responding to calls but we can’t be everywhere.

“Parents have the biggest role to ensure that children are not causing trouble, committing crimes, not distressing our community or putting themselves at risk.”

Last weekend’s incidents were the latest in a series of anti-social incidents.

On the previous weekend vandals smashed windows at Ripon’s town hall and cathedral office.

North Yorkshire Police declined to comment on those incidents when approached by the Stray Ferret last week.

Man jailed for murder of Harrogate woman

A Bradford man has been jailed for 16 years for the murder of a Harrogate woman.

Dale Tarbox was sentenced at Leeds Crown Court today for the murder of Susan Howells, who was a close friend.

A police investigation started in August 2019 when Susan, who was 51, was reported missing.

North Yorkshire Police passed the case onto West Yorkshire Police after its enquiries suggested she had been in the Bradford area at the time.

Dale Tarbox.

The police elevated the missing persons investigation into a murder investigation after officers failed to find her.

Officers arrested Tarbox in September 2019 in Doncaster and charged with the murder of Susan at his home address in Bradford.


Read more:


Police enquiries led officers to a caravan park when Tarbox was living. A few days later the police found human remains.

Further investigations led to the arrest of Keith Wadsworth, who was convicted of assisting an offender in preventing lawful burial.

Tarbox, 40, of Independent Street in Little Horton, was jailed for 16 years for Susan’s murder and given two years to run concurrently in preventing her lawful burial.

He refused to attend court to hear the sentence.

Keith Wadsworth.

Keith Wadsworth, 61, from Doncaster, was sentenced to three years and seven months for assisting an offender in preventing a lawful burial. He pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing.

Speaking after sentencing, Detective Chief Inspector Vanessa Rolfe, said:

“I hope today’s outcome provides some closure for Susan’s family, knowing that the man who murdered her has been given a significant prison sentence.

“Susan regarded Tarbox as a close friend and someone she could trust, but he showed no regard for her – taking her life in a cold and callous way and then teaming up with Wadsworth to try and dispose of her body.

“He is clearly a dangerous individual and the people of West Yorkshire should feel safer knowing he will be behind bars for many years.”

Two arrests after vehicle keys stolen in Harrogate

Two men were arrested after vehicle keys were stolen from a home in Harrogate.

North Yorkshire Police are appealing for witnesses to the incident, which happened between 2am and 2.30am on Saturday morning.

The suspects are believed to have entered the home between Ripon Road and Coppice Street and taken the keys.

The police have released the two men but are appealing for witnesses to “establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident”.


Read more:


Anyone with information about the incident should call 101, select option two and ask for PC 855.

For those who wish to remain anonymous they can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Quote the North Yorkshire Police reference number 12200220750.

Police quiz Harrogate diners over covid rules

Police questioned Harrogate diners on the first day after lockdown yesterday to ensure they were complying with tier two restrictions.

North Yorkshire Police, working alongside staff at Harrogate Borough Council, approached customers in pubs and restaurants.

The Stray Ferret is aware of at least three restaurants in Harrogate that were the subject of inspections.


Read more:


William and Victoria restaurant on Cold Bath Road was among those to receive visits.

David Straker, the owner, told the Stray Ferret he welcomed the patrols:

“I think that they have got to do it and be seen to be doing it.

“I know there are some places locally who say they are going to bend the rules.

“This has been a tough year for everyone. If some places bend the rules then it is not a level playing field.”

The Fat Badger was also visited, and the Stray Ferret is aware of one other that did not wish to be identified.

https://twitter.com/simoncotton69/status/1334213225525678081

Superintendent Mike Walker, the coronavirus lead for North Yorkshire Police, has warned police will step up patrols and use number place recognition cameras to track people coming into the Harrogate district from tier three places, such as Leeds and Bradford.

He also said the police would work with local businesses to ensure they understand the regulations:

“There will be a visible police presence in our day and nighttime economy areas.

“It is our job to engage with the public and sometimes find out the purpose of their journey — especially if we see groups coming into the area.

“We will also work with local businesses to ensure that they understand the tier two regulations and make sure they are operating in a safe way.”

The Stray Ferret approached both North Yorkshire Police and Harrogate Borough Council for comment but did not receive a reply by the time of publication.

Harrogate Borough Council did, however, tweet that officers were in the district last night and will be out tonight and again tomorrow.

Last night, tonight and tomorrow night we will be out and about in the #Harrogate district offering advice and guidance to businesses to ensure customers have a safe and enjoyable visit. pic.twitter.com/B7tTwWaYuF

— Harrogate Borough Council (@Harrogatebc) December 3, 2020

Six arrests after spate of burglaries in Harrogate

Police have made six arrests after a spate of overnight burglaries in Harrogate.

Thieves broke into four homes in the Rossett, Oatlands, High Harrogate and Pannal Ash areas in the last week alone.

Homeowners reported that jewellery, cash and electronic devices had all been stolen.

North Yorkshire Police arrested six men aged in their 20s to their 50s. The police released them all under investigation.


Read more:


As a result of the burglaries the police have warned residents to be vigilant in the run up to Christmas.

Detective Sergeant Tom Barker, from Harrogate’s proactive team, said:

“It’s a common trend that during the lead up to Christmas we have a spate in burglaries.

“As a result, we have a dedicated team of officers out in the areas we know that are being targeted.”

The force has put out advice asking people to lock doors and windows, leave a light on when heading out and never leave valuables on show.

Ripon man tried to save kittens thrown from moving car

A Ripon man who tried to save kittens thrown from a moving car has spoken of the moment one of them died in his hands.

The council worker, who does not want to be named, was driving a recycling van at 2pm between Water Skellgate and Bondgate Green last Thursday.

He saw something in the road and then later saw, a couple of cars in front, a person on the driver’s side of a brown or gold car throw a kitten in the air.

Susan Lund, the man’s wife, recalled the moment to the Stray Ferret:

“He stopped the van and picked up the little kitten. It was still breathing but it soon died in his hands.

“The kitten’s face was all smashed in from the impact. My husband was very upset by all of this.

“I think it is beyong shocking and absolutely abhorrent. They were just tiny babies. The person who did this was evil.”


Read more:


The couple believe that they were just six to eight weeks old and were tabby type kittens.

Animal rights group PETA has heard about the incident and offered a £2,000 reward to find those responsible.

Elisa Allen, PETA director, said:

“A person capable of deliberately causing a helpless animal this kind of suffering demonstrates a deeply worrying psychological state and must be found.

“Someone in the area must have seen something or know something about the cruel individual(s) who committed this callous act.”

Anyone who saw the incident have been urged to call the police on 101 and quote reference number 12200204632.

Kittens thrown from moving vehicle in Ripon

Police are investigating reports that two kittens were thrown from a moving vehicle to their deaths in Ripon.

Police say the incident happened at around 2pm last Thursday between Water Skellgate and Bondgate Green.

Witnesses described the vehicle as brown or gold in colour. It was driving eastbound from Ripon towards the A61 bypass.


Read more:


Anyone who saw the incident have been urged to call 101 and quote reference number 12200204632.

Reports on social media suggest that the kittens were alive when they were thrown from the vehicle and later died from their injuries.

Man jailed for raping woman as she slept in Knaresborough

A man has been jailed for raping a woman in Knaresborough as she slept after a night out.

Dariush Behdarvandi-Aidi, 33, was convicted of the rape in Knaresborough in December 2017 and another rape in Leeds in April 2017.

Behdarvandi-Aidi, from Pocklington, was sentenced today to six years and 10 months at Leeds Crown Court.

When Behdarvandi-Aidi raped the Knaresborough woman, she woke and pushed him away.

She then called the police while he was still in the house. Officers attended immediately and arrested the man.


Read more:


A month later another woman reported to the police that her friend had been sexually assaulted and raped by Behdarvandi-Aidi in Leeds.

Like the Knaresborough case, the woman was sleeping after a night out. When she woke she had no memory of what had happened.

Detective constable Emma Dawson, who investigated the case, said:

“I am pleased that justice has been delivered for both victims today. No prison sentence can make up for the distress and suffering they have endured.

“But I hope they can both take some comfort from the fact that Behdarvandi-Aidi is now behind bars for his crimes.”

If you have been the victim of a sexual offence recently or many years ago then call North Yorkshire Police on 101. Or 999 if you are in danger.

The Bridge House Sexual Assault Referral Centre in Bishopthorpe, York is available for those who may not want to speak to the police on 0330 223 0362.