Police and firefighters are at the scene of a traffic accident on Leeds Road in Harrogate after a car crashed into railings.
The incident happened at about 10am at the roundabout where Leeds Road meets St George’s Road.
Debris from the vehicle was scattered on the road.

An eyewitness told the Stray Ferret there were two police officers and two fire crews attending at 10.30am today.
They added it did not appear anyone had been seriously injured.
We will update this story when more information is available.
Read more:
- Man seriously injured after floor collapses at Harrogate home
- Meet the local man behind a new Turkish restaurant in Harrogate
Body recovered from River Nidd at Bilton
Police have recovered the body of a local woman from the River Nidd, near Bilton viaduct.
Concerns were raised about the woman, who is aged in her 40s, this morning.
An urgent missing person investigation was launched which included searches in and around the River Nidd at the location.
The woman’s body was recovered by the Yorkshire and the Humber Regional Marine and Underwater Search Unit at around 1.20pm. She has not been named.
The bridge was closed while the body was recovered. A North Yorkshire Police statement said:
“There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death and a report will be submitted to the coroner in due course.
“The woman’s family are being supported by the police.”
Read more:
Delay in police plan to move into Ripon Town Hall
North Yorkshire Police’s planned move into Ripon Town Hall has been delayed with no date in place for when it might happen.
In February, the office for Zoe Metcalfe, North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner (PFCC), said refurbishment of space in the town hall was already under way to give officers more of a presence in the city centre.
However, this was questioned by Ripon City Council leader Andrew Williams who told the Local Democracy Reporting Service in April that work was yet to begin.
The works will cost North Yorkshire Police £91,000 and will see a public consultation room, an office and a break out room added for officers to use.
A spokesman for the PFCC confirmed that work at the town hall had not started and blamed the changes in local government for the delay.
Harrogate Borough Council owned the building until April 1 when it was handed to the new unitary authority North Yorkshire Council. The spokesman said:
“I can confirm that there has been a slight delay in the schedule for the local policing team moving into Ripon Town Hall.
“This has been due to the change in local government structure where the local agreement to occupy space in Ripon Town Hall made with Harrogate Borough Council, now needs to be signed off by the new North Yorkshire Council.”
North Yorkshire Council was also unable to say when works will begin. The council’s corporate director of resources, Gary Fielding, said:
“We are continuing to work with North Yorkshire Police and Ripon City Council regarding the future of Ripon Town Hall over how to best serve the needs of local residents.”
Read more:
Police launch investigation after cat shot dead in Harrogate
Police in Harrogate are appealing for witnesses and information after a cat was shot dead.
North Yorkshire Police said today the shooting happened in the Newby Crescent area of Jennyfields at around 9.05pm on Friday last week.
The force said in a statement:
“Timmy the cat was found dead by a neighbour. It is believed he had been shot with an air rifle or pellet gun.
“Understandably, Timmy’s family have been left deeply distressed following the incident.
“We’re appealing for information about anyone living locally who owns an air rifle or pellet gun, or anyone who was in the area at the time and may have witnessed the incident.”
To help the investigation, email Jacob.higgins@northyorkshire.police.uk or call 101, select option 2, and ask for Jacob Higgins.
If you wish to remain anonymous, you can pass information to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Quote the North Yorkshire Police reference number 12230080606 when providing details.
Read more:
Crime commissioner Zoe Metcalfe under pressure following critical report
North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner Zoe Metcalfe is facing pressure to step down following further criticism that the police are failing to protect vulnerable children.
Ms Metcalfe’s role includes scrutinising the performance of North Yorkshire Police.
But leading North Yorkshire councillors have voiced dismay over the lack of progress Ms Metcalfe has brought about in the force over the last year.
It comes after His Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire and Rescue Services highlighted continuing concerns over child protection.
A HMICFRS report this week found evidence-gathering delays and a lack of knowledge about online abuse inquiries were reducing North Yorkshire Police’s ability to safeguard children.
Following a re-inspection of the force in December, the watchdog revealed police officers had not forensically examined digital devices connected to a suspected child rape six months after they were submitted.
In response, the commissioner, who is tasked with holding the force to account, said both her and her team had been “regularly assured that all concerns would be tackled head on and improvements made at a significant pace”,only to find “12 months later, the force is not in the position I expected them to be in”.
She said:
“Not enough has been done and there is simply no excuse – North Yorkshire Police have let the public and the most vulnerable in our society down.
“I know that it is my responsibility to increase the accountability of and pressure on the chief constable, to demand answers and not accept anything other than immediate and significant improvement.”
Within hours of the report being published Ms Metcalfe struck a determined tone as she held a public online meeting with senior officers, including chief constable Lisa Winward, where she questioned them over the progress made over 10 recommendations.
The meeting heard the force fully accepted the criticisms and was investing in officers’ training and in control room staff, the recruitment of specialist child protection workers, and cutting the time it takes to examine digital devices to less than 72 hours.
The force said it had spent £400,000 on reducing its digital forensics backlog and £1.17m on hiring specialist child protection staff, and was establishing dedicated safeguarding teams in each of the three regions it covers.
Call to resign
Once the elections for City of York Council are concluded the North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime panel, which exists to hold the commissioner to account, will reconvene and consider holding an extraordinary meeting to question the commissioner.
The panel pushed Mrs Metcalfe’s predecessor, Philip Allott, to step down and heavily criticised the county’s first commissioner, Julia Mulligan, over her treatment of staff.
Ms Metcalfe has confirmed she is seeking to be the Conservative candidate for mayor of North Yorkshire and York, elections for which are due to take place in May next year. She has claimed to be “uniquely qualified” for the role.
Leader of the opposition on North Yorkshire Council, Cllr Bryn Griffiths said the Liberal Democrat group would be calling for Ms Metcalfe to resign at the next meeting of the authority.
North Yorkshire Council’s Labour group leader, Cllr Steve Shaw Wright said the commissioner had been in charge for “nothing but a series of calamitous reports”.
He said:
“She is doing very little. Police at the coal face are actually doing a brilliant job across North Yorkshire, but the ones who lead them need to get on with the job they are supposed to be doing.
“They have been short-staffed for a while, but that lays at the door of the Tory commissioner, who should have been banging doors down for a lot longer than this.
“‘Call me Zoe’ wants to be the Conservative candidate for the mayor of North Yorkshire and York, but I think she’s blown it.”
Read more:
- Crime commissioner’s office to move to Harrogate Police Station
- North Yorkshire Police ‘still needs to improve’ on child safeguarding, say inspectors
The North Yorkshire Council Independent group leader said the latest criticism showed there was no legitimate reason by commissioners should exist.
Cllr Stuart Parsons said increasing “scrutiny” by calling for the police to provide evidence of progress would only take more police officers off their day-to-day jobs. He said:
Missing girl found safe“What is the point of a police, fire and crime commissioner if she can’t ensure the force is doing what it is meant to?
“Instead of believing everything she has been fed she should have been investigating what was really going on and then calling them to account.”
Police have said a teenage girl who went missing from the Pateley Bridge area has been found safe and well.
North Yorkshire Police said yesterday the girl had been missing since 9.30pm on Saturday.
Officers issued a description of her and asked for help locating her.
They said last night she had been found. We have therefore updated this article too remove her personal details.
Police seek man after electric bike stolen from Harrogate AldiPolice have issued a CCTV image of a man they want to speak to after an electric bike was stolen outside a Harrogate supermarket.
The incident happened at Aldi on Old Beck Road at about 3.10pm on Saturday, April 15.
North Yorkshire Police said in a statement today:
“The bike had been left secure outside the store. A man entered B&Q next door, then rode the bike away.
“Officers are asking members of the public to get in touch if they recognise a man pictured on CCTV, as they believe he will have information that will help the investigation.”

A full length image of the wanted man.
Anyone with any information is asked to email joanne.fawectt@northyorkshire.police.uk or call North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 2, and ask for PC 371 Joanne Fawcett.
If you wish to remain anonymous, you can pass information to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Quote reference number 12230066912 when passing on information.
Read more:
- Harrogate Turkish Baths accused of discrimination for halving women-only sessions
- Harrogate church saves £20,000 on clock repairs with can of duck oil
Police seek wanted man from Harrogate
North Yorkshire Police have arrested a man following a wanted person appeal in Harrogate.
The force issued a statement saying Darren Atkinson, 37, was wanted in relation to a harassment offence. It added:
“Officers believe he may in the Harrogate area.
“Despite several enquiries they have not yet been able to located him.”
Anyone with information can contact North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 1 and speak to the force control room. Quote reference 12230057307.
You can also report anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Read more:
- Body found at Harewood was 250 metres outside police search area
- Harrogate train station set to have unmanned exit?
Two children admit Knaresborough graffiti outbreak
Two children have admitted being responsible for an outbreak of graffiti in Knaresborough.
Graffiti appeared throughout the town early this month, including on Knaresborough House and on High Bond End and Boroughbridge Road.
A North Yorkshire Police spokesperson said today:
“Following enquiries, those who were responsible for the graffiti — two children aged 14 and 15 — have been identified and have taken responsibility.
“They have agreed to a community resolution disposal and will be taking part in removing the graffiti and will be receiving an appropriate educational and restorative input to teach them about impact of graffiti on the community and local businesses.”
Community resolution disposals are usually issued to remorseful first-time offenders and do not constitute a criminal record.

Some of the recent graffiti
The clerk of Knaresborough Town Council told the Stray Ferret it had been “very concerned about the amount of graffiti” that had appeared recently.
The clerk said individual councillors had been trying to tackle the problem with the help of CCTV, adding:
“Knaresborough Town Council is currently asking for more CCTV coverage behind Knaresborough House.”
She added the mayor, Cllr Kathryn Davies recently organised a drop-in session with the police on Stockwell estate following reports of anti social behaviour in that area.

Graffiti at Knaresborough House
Read more:
- Knaresborough Pure Gym confirms May opening date
- Blubberhouses crash: lorry driver banned for being three times over limit
Blubberhouses crash: lorry driver banned for being three times over limit
A lorry driver who lost control on the A59 at Blubberhouses on Tuesday was three times over the drink-drive limit.
Jacek Borowski, 51, from Poland lost control of his HGV heading down the hill.
His vehicle blocked the road completely for most of the day, causing significant disruption on the main route between Harrogate and Skipton.
Nobody else was involved or injured.

The lorry blocked the road for most of the day.
North Yorkshire Police said in a statement today Borowski had been banned within 24 hours of the incident. It added:
“Officers breathalysed the driver who blew 92 micrograms of alcohol in 100 milligrams of breath – almost three times the legal limit.
“He was remanded into custody immediately and put before York Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday 19 April where he pleaded guilty to driving over the prescribed limit and was disqualified from driving for 23 months.”
Read more:
- Harrogate firefighters release images of Blubberhouses collision
- ‘It will hurt businesses’: Lib Dem councillor to vote against Harrogate’s Station Gateway