Ripon received a surprise visitor when Prime Minister Rishi Sunak arrived for an unannounced hour-long walkabout and meetings with local businesses and politicians.
Yesterday’s Totally Locally street party organised by the city’s independent traders and supported by Ripon Business Improvement District, provided a platform for Mr Sunak, along with Keane Duncan, the Conservative Party candidate for next month’s York and North Yorkshire mayoral election, to mingle with crowds on Market Square.
The Bank Holiday Monday event, which was launched last year, is designed to raise awareness of what the ancient city has to offer in a modern-day economy.
BID manager Lilla Bathurst, said:
“The Prime Minister was able to see for himself what the collaborative efforts of Ripon’s strong mix of independent retail and hospitality businesses can achieve.
“There are clear indicators, both in terms of the investment in new openings and refurbishments in the city centre and footfall analysis, that a post-pandemic revival is underway.”
City councillor and deputy mayor elect Jackie Crozier (pictured below) whose award-winning Little Bird Made artisan markets are held on Market Square and locations across Yorkshire, introduced Mr Sunak to coffee maker Tom Bolland of the Happy Barista — a regular attendee at the Little Bird events.

For 11-year-old Lilly, daughter of Ripon City Council leader Andrew Williams, there was an opportunity for a photograph with Mr Sunak outside Ripon’s historic town hall.

Rishi Sunak, pictured with Cllr Andrew Williams and his daughter Lilly.
Cllr Williams said:
“There’s an interesting fact that links our current Prime Minster with one dating back to 1827, because the Marquess of Ripon, who donated the town hall building to the then borough council in 1897 after two terms as mayor of the city, was born at 10 Downing Street while his father Viscount Goderich was in office.”
Mayoral candidates
The election for the first mayor of the York and North Yorkshire combined authority will take place on Thursday May 2 and, in addition to the Conservative Keane Duncan, the other candidates are:
- Felicity Cunliffe-Lister (Lib Dem)
- Kevin Foster (Green Party)
- Paul Haslam (Independent)
- David Skaith (Labour),
- Keith Tordoff (Independent)
Harrogate and Knaresborough MP Andrew Jones has described major changes by Prime Minister Rishi Sunak to the government’s net zero policies as “practical and pragmatic”.
Mr Sunak announced at a press conference yesterday that a ban on sales of new petrol and diesel cars would be delayed by five years until 2035.
He also confirmed a nine-year delay in the ban on new fossil fuel heating for off-gas-grid homes to 2035.
The Prime Minister also raised the boiler upgrade grant by 50% to £7,500 to help households who want to replace their gas boilers.
Mr Sunak said the government “risks losing the consent of the British people” if it moved too fast on green policies.
In response to the changes, Conservative MP Mr Jones said the decision by Mr Sunak would still tackle the government’s net zero target.
He said:
“The most important point from the Prime Minister’s statement was that net zero by 2050 is still central to the government and is still mandated by law. I am wholly supportive of our efforts to cut carbon and protect our planet for future generations.
“Indeed, the UK has decarbonised significantly faster than all other G7 nations. Since 2010 UK carbon emissions per capita have fallen by nearly 40%, almost double the fall seen in the EU.
“This statement made two changes to the timetable for two elements of our national progress. They were practical and pragmatic.”
Mr Jones added:
“We also saw increased financial support for boiler upgrades and this comes on the back of more progress for onshore and offshore wind, plus carbon capture.
“There had been growing concern, particularly in off grid rural areas, that the rules on changing boilers were very difficult and presented many households with bills they would struggle to meet.
“It is important now to use the time to continue the national work to achieve net zero and to do this is in a way that is fair.“
Read more:
- Station Gateway: Andrew Jones calls for funding to be switched to ‘other projects’
- Andrew Jones MP urges Prime Minister to ease ‘strain’ on access to Harrogate NHS dentists
‘Rolling back commitments’

Tom Gordon
However, Harrogate and Knaresborough Liberal Democrats have described the move as damaging to the UK’s reputation.
Tom Gordon, Lib Dem parliamentary candidate for the constituency, said:
“What Rishi Sunak should see in front of him is the opportunity to embrace the industries of the future and protect our environment and planet for coming generations.
“Instead he is set to on rolling back our country’s climate commitments, damaging our reputation as a global leader, and has blatant disregard for the UK car industry.”
The Stray Ferret also approached Conservative MP for Skipton and Ripon, Julian Smith, and Labour MP for Selby and Ainsty, which includes south Harrogate, Keir Mather, for their views on the subject but did not receive a response.
Andrew Jones MP urges Prime Minister to ease ‘strain’ on access to Harrogate NHS dentistsHarrogate and Knaresborough Conservative MP Andrew Jones today urged the Prime Minister to tackle the “immediate strain” facing local people trying to access NHS dentists.
Concerns about a shortage of NHS dentists in Harrogate were heightened last week when Chatsworth House Dental Clinic, on King’s Road, said it will stop treating NHS patients at the end of the year.
Speaking at Prime Minister’s Questions today, Mr Jones said he and fellow North Yorkshire MPs met with the local integrated care board last week to discuss ways of improving dentistry provision. He added:
“But when surgeries suddenly close to NHS patients without notice as one in Harrogate did very recently, an immediate strain is put on local provision.
“Will the Prime Minister look at what can be done in these circumstances to ensure that no one is left without access to an NHS dentist?”
Mr Sunak pledged to “look into this issue” and said Mr Jones would be “reassured” to know the government was investing £3 billion a year into dentistry. He added there were no geographical restrictions on which dentists people could attend.
‘Sitting on the sidelines’

Tom Gordon with Daisy Cooper, the Liberal Democrats’ health spokesperson.
The man who hopes to succeed Mr Jones as Harrogate and Knaresborough MP at the next election accused his rival of “sitting on the sidelines” over dentistry.
Tom Gordon, the Liberal Democrat parliamentary candidate, said he was “pleased that after 13 years Andrew Jones has finally bowed to pressure and asked a question in Parliament about the dentist crisis affecting local residents”, adding:
“In the last six months, the Lib Dems have been increasing the pressure on him to do this. We have set up a dentists survey, arranged a meeting with the Lib Dem shadow health minister and made sure that questions were asked in Parliament about this issue.
“We’ve heard awful stories about how local people have been putting up with pain as they can’t afford to see a dentist. It shouldn’t have required a concerted campaign to make our MP act.”
“We’re determined to keep on fighting for the cash that will re-establish NHS dentistry in our area. We hope Andrew Jones will join us in this fight rather than sitting on the sidelines as he has done over this and many other issues for the last 13 years.”
Following his meeting with Humber and North Yorkshire Integrated Care Board last week, Mr Jones said:
“Dental services have been recovering but there is much more progress to be made.
“It is important that action is taken swiftly to expand the NHS dental provision in our area.”
Read more:
- Station Gateway: Andrew Jones calls for funding to be switched to ‘other projects’
- Local politicians raise concern over lack of Harrogate and Knaresborough NHS dentistry
- Harrogate NHS dentist to move to ‘membership only’ patient scheme
Prime Minister Rishi Sunak visits Harrogate nursery
Prime Minister Rishi Sunak visited a nursery in Harrogate today.
Mr Sunak visited Busy Bees on Hornbeam Park along with Education Secretary Gillian Keegan to meet parents and early years childcare providers.
The Prime Minister and Ms Keegan were shown around the nursery on Hookstone Road by centre director Sarah Saynor, alongside Busy Bees’ group chief quality officer Gill Jones.
The visit comes as the government is planning to increase funded childcare hours.
Mr Sunak joined children in painting and outdoor play activities. He also spoke with local parents about their views on the changes the government is making to early years education funding.
Mr Sunak said:
“I was delighted to visit Busy Bees Nursery at Hornbeam Park today.
“Providing high-quality, affordable childcare for families is a priority for the government, so it was fantastic to see how dedicated the Busy Bees staff are to creating a safe and nurturing environment for the children in their care.”
Gill Jones said it was a pleasure to introduce Mr Sunak and Ms Keegan to children and show them what the nursery provider does. She added:
“We are committed to giving every child the best start in life and were pleased to be able to offer further insight into the importance of helping more parents and children to access affordable quality early years education, whilst ensuring nurseries receive the support needed.”
Pictured above: (left to right) Alex Norford, Freya Skelton, Jessica Lofthouse, Toni-Joy Lavisher, Louise Ingham, Rosie James and Baby Aubrey, Rishi Sunak, Sarah Saynor, Gillian Keegan, Helen Burton, Gill Jones and Karen MacKay.
Read more:
- £11.2m Harrogate Station Gateway halted after legal challenge
- Station Gateway: Andrew Jones calls for funding to be switched to ‘other projects’
Painting owned by Prime Minister to be auctioned in Ripon
An oil painting donated by Prime Minister Rishi Sunak will go under the hammer in Ripon this month.
The painting of Richmond Castle will be included in Elstob Auctioneers’ fine art and antiques sale on June 17.
Members of the public will be able to bid at the sale in person or online. The proceeds will raise funds for Richmond community arts venue The Station.
The painting, by contemporary landscape painter Alice Boggis-Rolfe, carries a price estimate of £1,800 to £2,200. It comes with a signed title card from the Prime Minister.
Broadcaster Sky gave the painting to Mr Sunak to mark the Sky Arts channel becoming free-to-view. With Sky’s blessing, the Richmond MP donated it to the gallery at The Station, which is housed in Richmond’s former Victorian Railway Station.
It was displayed in The Station gallery but is now being sold to raise money for the venue.
Mr Sunak said:
“I thought it most appropriate that The Station – a centre for the arts in Richmond – should benefit from Sky’s generosity and people in Richmond should have the chance to see the work too.”
Rohan McCulloch, paintings and sculptures specialist at Elstob Auctioneers, said:
“This is a rare opportunity to acquire a fabulous piece of art by one of the UK’s up-and-coming artists at the same time as supporting a great cause. Alice Boggis-Rolfe regularly sells out at exhibitions.”
Read more:
- Ripon auction to sell paintings of Derby winners found after 180 years
- Business Breakfast: Ripon auctioneers announces new name and sales structure
- Revived Farmison fully reopens Ripon shop
Chris Brown, general manager of the Richmondshire Building Preservation Trust, said:
“Elstob Auctioneers are kindly waiving all fees associated with the sale so 100% of the proceeds will go straight back into The Station and supporting other at-risk buildings in Richmondshire.”
Commissioned by Sky to produce the painting, Alice Boggis-Rolfe said:
“I am delighted and honoured that Rishi Sunak has donated my painting to The Station in Richmond and look forward to the auction.”
The fine art and antiques sale will be held on Saturday, June 17 at 9.30am. Bids can be made in person, online or by telephone.
The contents of the sale, including the painting, will be available to view at the Ripon saleroom on Friday, June 16 from 10am until 4pm.
For further information, call 01765 699200 or email: info@elstob.co.uk
Harrogate College backs PM’s call for compulsory maths until 18Harrogate College has backed Prime Minister Rishi Sunak’s bid to ensure all students study maths until the age of 18.
A government press release has said Mr Sunak will this afternoon “commit to starting the work of introducing maths to 18 in this Parliament and finishing it in the next”.
In his first speech of 2023, he is expected to say studying maths to 18 will equip young people with skills needed for jobs and increase their financial confidence later in life when dealing with issues such as mortgages and savings rates.
Mr Sunak will say:
“One of the biggest changes in mindset we need in education today is to reimagine our approach to numeracy.
“Right now, just half of all 16–19-year-olds study any maths at all. Yet in a world where data is everywhere and statistics underpin every job, our children’s jobs will require more analytical skills than ever before.”
Read more:
- Harrogate councillor is Rishi Sunak’s agent in Richmond
- Man jailed for two-month fraud spree at Harrogate and York hotels
Harrogate College principal Danny Wild said Mr Sunak’s goal was admirable -— but needed to be supported by significant funding. Mr Wild said:
“Numeracy is increasingly important for all of us, and especially for young people entering a competitive and ever-evolving job market.
“So we do support the Prime Minister’s aim of ensuring that as many students as possible continue studying maths until the age of 18.
“Colleges and other further education providers will play a crucial role in delivering this goal – but it will only be achievable if we are given proper funding to recruit and retain the maths teachers we need.”
The college, a further education provider on Hornbeam Park, provides a wide range of courses including apprenticeships, T-levels and higher education for students in the Harrogate district.
Harrogate district MP in line for peerage in Boris Johnson’s resignation honoursNigel Adams has been nominated for a peerage as part of Boris Johnson’s resignation honours, according to media reports.
The Selby and Ainsty MP, which includes southern parts of Harrogate, is among 20 people set to be included on the former Prime Minister’s peer list, reports The Times.
Nadine Dorries, former Culture Secretary, Alister Jack, Scotland Secretary, and Alok Sharma the outgoing Cop26 president are also set to be nominated to be elevated to the House of Lords.
Conservative Tees Valley Mayor, Ben Houchen, is also reported to be on the list.
Adams, who was a cabinet minister without portfolio in Johnson’s government, has already announced he will stand down at the next general election.
Read more:
- Harrogate district MP Nigel Adams to step down at next election
- Nigel Adams MP’s £33,000 donation from former Russian businessman back in spotlight
He was regarded as a key ally of the former Prime Minister.
Mr Adams was first elected in 2010 and has defended the seat in three subsequent elections.
He currently holds the Selby and Ainsty seat with a majority of 20,137.
Harrogate councillor is Rishi Sunak’s agent in RichmondRishi Sunak’s appointment as Prime Minister this week has thrust a Harrogate councillor to the forefront of national politics.
Sam Gibbs is the Conservative Party agent in Richmond — Mr Sunak’s constituency.
As such, he works closely with Mr Sunak, who was elected to the safe Tory seat in 2015 with 51% of the vote. He increased this share to 64% at the last election in 2019.
Agents typically advise their MPs as well as oversee the smooth running of the local party.
Mr Sunak’s elevation to the highest office in the land is likely to increase the workload on the party in Richmond and on Mr Gibbs.
Besides helping Mr Sunak, Mr Gibbs, who lives on Forest Avenue in Harrogate, has served as the Conservative councillor for Harrogate Valley Gardens on Harrogate Borough Council since 2018.
Last year he campaigned for new ‘no cycling’ signs to be painted on footpaths on the Stray after local residents complained about speeding cyclists using the parkland.

Councillor Gibbs in a photo about the new tree lighting on the Stray.
This year he was appointed the cabinet member for environment, waste reduction and recycling when council leader Richard Cooper reshuffled his team in March. He is also a member of the cabinet.
Election success this year
Harrogate Borough Council will be abolished in April but Mr Gibbs’ interest in local politics won’t end then.
This year he won the Valley Gardens and Central Harrogate division on North Yorkshire County Council in May’s local elections. He received 871 votes, ahead of Liberal Democrat David Johnson, who polled 545 votes and independent Lucy Gardiner, who received 331 votes.
It means he will represent the division for a further four-and-a-half years, first on the county council and, from April, on the new North Yorkshire Council.
The Stray Ferret contacted Cllr Gibbs, who is also a trustee of Harrogate and District Community Action, to ask about his role with Mr Sunak, and whether Mr Sunak’s appointment as Prime Minister would affect his councillor positions. However, he did not reply.
Read more:
Is Ripon MP set for a role in Rishi Sunak’s government?
Julian Smith could be in line for a role in Rishi Sunak’s government, according to reports.
The Skipton and Ripon MP supported the new Prime Minister during the last two Conservative leadership contests.
According to an article on Bloomberg, the former Northern Ireland secretary could now be in line for a role in Mr Sunak’s government.
Bloomberg journalist Alex Whickham tweeted that ‘dark arts specialists’ Mr Smith and Gavin Williamson were set for jobs.
— big role certain for top ally Dowden
— Badenoch tipped for promotion after not fancying DIT
— rising star Claire Coutinho in line for decent job
— talk of Jenrick, Raab return
— and jobs for dark arts specialists Gavin Williamson and Julian Smith…https://t.co/C5F2nHpxa3
— Alex Wickham (@alexwickham) October 24, 2022
Mr Sunak was confirmed as Prime Minister this morning and is in the process of forming his first cabinet.
If appointed, it would be Mr Smith’s first job in government since Boris Johnson was in 10 Downing Street.
Read more:
- Consultation launched over £540m North Yorkshire devolution deal
- Fears for Harrogate hospitality after series of closures
He served as Northern Ireland secretary from 2019 until 2020 and was a chief whip under Theresa May.
Yesterday, after Mr Sunak was confirmed as the Conservative party’s choice for leader, he tweeted that he was the “best possible person to deal with the current challenges we face”.
In @RishiSunak as Prime Minister the United Kingdom has the best possible person to deal with the current challenges we face. Finally.
— Julian Smith MP (@JulianSmithUK) October 24, 2022
