The Harrogate district is braced for heavy rain today as a weather warning has been issued.
The Met Office has put a yellow warning in place for rain across much of northern England until midnight.
It says that the adverse weather may affect public transport and possibly cause flooding.
The warning says:
“There is a small chance that homes and businesses could be flooded, causing damage to some buildings.
“Spray and flooding could lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures.
“Should flooding occur, delays or cancellations to train and bus services are likely.”
The warning covers much of the district including Harrogate, Ripon and Boroughbridge.
Heavy rain and a moderate breeze is forecast throughout the day in the district.
Read more:
- Campaign launched to achieve bathing water status on River Nidd
- Meeting called to hear concerns about state of River Nidd
Heavy rain floods some Harrogate district roads
Heavy rain has led to flooding on some Harrogate district roads today
The Met Office issued a yellow weather warning for thunderstorms this morning and warned some roads could be flooded.
It proved accurate as drivers across the district, which is still under drought, struggled in many of the usual highway trouble spots for flooding.

Pic: Lynne Hardcastle
Church Lane in Hampsthwaite, pictured here, remained open despite treacherous conditions.
Pot Bridge, where there is a sharp double bend, on the B6161 was also difficult due to the conditions.
The weather warning ended at 1pm but driving conditions are expected to remain difficult this afternoon due to spray and standing water.
Read more:
- New music festival celebrates remarkable composer buried in Hampsthwaite
- Harrogate district MPs back government amid chaotic fracking vote
Ripon resident says blocked gullies are leading to floods
A Ripon resident has called on North Yorkshire County Council to clean gullies in the city more regularly, after a burst water main led to a street being flooded this week.
People on North Street woke on Monday to water gushing out of a pipe onto the road. It was the second time in four days that a Yorkshire Water pipe had burst on the street and led to fears the flood might damage properties.
Some homes in the city and nearby villages were left without water for most of the day while the leak was fixed.
The street has gullies to take excess surface water but residents say they are regularly blocked by straw, hay and dirt.
Paul Oldham, who lives on North Street, said Monday’s flood was not an isolated incident.
He said whenever there is heavy rainfall in winter, residents have to go out to the drains to move dirt in the gullies so that water can go down.
Mr Oldham said:
“The fact is every year the residents on North Street clean out the drains because they are not maintained. We’re out in our wellies and we poke or prod to get water to subside, and eventually it does. The council needs to be cleaning out the drains.”
Read more:
- Ripon water supplies restored but traffic problems remain
- Yorkshire Water giving out free bottled water at Ripon’s Market Place
It is the responsibility of North Yorkshire County Council to clean drains and gulleys in the district.
Mr Oldham added:
“I get that budgets might be cut, or cleaning drains might not be a priority, but the fact is it’s happened so often and regularly. It could have really affected properties along here.
“Its not a one off. They need to make sure the drains are cleaned. But I do have sympathy, it is difficult for them to get around and do all the jobs.”
North Yorkshire County Council highways area manager Melisa Burnham said:
Harrogate district volunteers wanted to fill sandbags for floods“The gullies in North Street were inspected recently and the team involved found they were in good condition but did need to be jetted.
“Following the inspection a programme had already been devised to have them cleared and cleaned and that work will be delivered today.”
A team of volunteers hopes to fill more than a thousand sandbags in Harrogate tomorrow.
Harrogate Borough Council keeps a stockpile of around 3,000 sandbags to support communities across the Harrogate district when they’re threatened with flooding.
The recent floods have depleted its stock so the council wants to prepare for future floods by filling up sandbags from 7am at its depot on Claro Road in Harrogate.
During floods in Pateley Bridge in February, some residents reported difficulties in getting hold of sandbags to help protect their properties.
Volunteers will come from Ready for Anything, which is a database of North Yorkshire County Council volunteers that are called upon in times of emergency.
If you are interested in coming along contact Harrogate Borough Council’s emergency planning officer Ash Demaline at ash.demaline@harrogate.gov.uk
Read more:
- Mother Shipton’s delays reopening due to flood damage
- Flooding reveals ‘major unresolved problem on West Park Stray’
Mother Shipton’s delays reopening again due to landslide
Mother Shipton’s Cave in Knaresborough has been forced to delay its reopening again after heavy flooding caused a landslide onto a path.
The famous tourist attraction was due to reopen this weekend after clearing up the debris from recent floods but has now had to delay its reopening for a second time until March 19.
The “slight landslide” has fallen onto Beech Avenue, which is the site of some of the oldest and tallest beech trees in the country, from a bank above.
The landslide has left the well-trodden footpath, which runs from the steps used to access the petrifying well to the entrance of the museum, impassable. Therefore the decision has been taken to delay reopening for another week until the footpath can be made safe.
Jay Stelling, marketing coordinator, said supporting structures were installed last year to prevent damage like this but the strength of the recent storms meant the landslide couldn’t be avoided, adding:
“Our maintenance team had been attempting to clear the pathway and put plans in place to prevent further problems with landslides while we were closed during the winter.
“To rectify this issue permanently we are waiting on permission from the council to gain access above Beech Avenue to assess and establish the remedial work required in order to prevent this problem in the future.”
Read more:
- Knaresborough Bed Race extend entry period due to low numbers
- Bid to open scuba diving pool in Knaresborough
Ms Stelling said the slope had experienced a “noticeable shift” in recent years due to climate change. She added:
“We are devastated that this is the case and we are doing everything we can to get the site safe and on top form to welcome back visitors.”
The attraction will open on weekends from March 19 and on weekends and weekdays from April.
Heavy snowfall hits Harrogate district this afternoonHeavy snowfall has covered the Harrogate district this afternoon.
Up to 4cm of snow could eventually fall although higher areas are likely to be worst affected.
It is one of three Met Office yellow weather warnings in place over the next three days.
Today’s snow warning lasts until 3pm. The Met Office says:
“Some roads and railways likely to be affected with longer journey times by road, bus and train services.”
Read more:
- Dramatic photos show firefighters saving Bilton tree in storm
- Storm Eunice eases after uprooting trees in Harrogate district
A warning for rain begins at midnight and lasts until 6pm tomorrow.
“Flooding of a few homes and businesses is likely/ Spray and flooding on roads probably making journey times longer.”
There is also a warning in place for wind from noon tomorrow until 3pm on Monday.
Flood warning issued for Boroughbridge
A flood warning has been issued for Boroughbridge as rain continues to fall in the Harrogate district.
The warning for the Upper River Ouse was issued at 10.10am this morning at the start of what is expected to be a week of storms and rain.
Currently the main threat is just to the east of Boroughbridge but the situation is expected to worsen this afternoon.
The bad weather over the weekend has impacted river levels across the UK. 2 flood warnings have been issued, one in Boroughbridge and another in the Lake District. There are 28 other flood alerts.
Check here: https://t.co/ueaxxWzWWI#Flood #LakeDistrict #Boroughbridge pic.twitter.com/ew5DbhuLhN
— FloodAlerts (@FloodAlerts) February 14, 2022
It is one of two flood warnings nationally, the other one being active in Cumbria.
Less severe flood alerts were removed this morning for the Lower Nidd catchment area and the Lower Ouse but water levels remain high following days of persistent rain.
The government’s flood alert service says of the situation affecting Boroughbridge:
“Flooding of roads and farmland is expected. Areas most at risk are low lying land and roads and riverside foot and cycle paths.
“We expect levels on the River Ouse to rise through Monday and to peak late on Monday afternoon.
“Our incident response staff are closely monitoring the forecast and checking and operating defences as required.
“Please avoid using low lying footpaths near local watercourses and plan driving routes to avoid low lying roads or carparks near rivers, which may be flooded.”
Storm Arwen: Travel warnings and events cancelled in Harrogate district
There are travel warnings and cancelled events as the district braces itself for Storm Arwen.
The Met Office has issued a rare red warning for wind in the North East, where there is danger to life as a result of flying debris expected from 3pm until 2am tomorrow.
Here in the Harrogate district the area is covered by a yellow warning for both wind and snow from 5pm today until tomorrow around 10am.
3.30pm – Brimham Rocks closed tomorrow
The National Trust has announced Brimham Rocks will be closed to visitors tomorrow due to the storm.
2.53pm – Rail passengers encouraged to postpone journeys
LNER has encouraged any customers booked to travel from today, Friday 26 until the end of service on Sunday 28 to defer their travel if possible.
Tickets will be valid on LNER services on the following dates: Monday 29 and Tuesday 30 November including Wednesday 1 December 2021.
Network Rail has imposed emergency speed restrictions as the extreme weather conditions begin to impact the East Coast route.
2.35pm – Only travel if necessary, says county council
North Yorkshire County Council has urged drivers only to travel if necessary as Storm Arwen approaches.
The storm is expected to bring strong winds and the possibility of sleet turning into snow on higher ground.
Cllr Don Mackenzie, executive member for access at the county council, said:
“All our NY Highways teams are in place and will be able to respond to any conditions that arise over the weekend. In addition, the 100 farming contractors that support our winter highways operation are primed to help if required, particularly if the strong winds exacerbate any impact of snow through drifting.
“We would ask anyone planning to travel to consider whether their journey is absolutely necessary. If they do need to travel, they should be alert to the conditions, drive accordingly and leave extra time for their journey.
“High winds can affect vehicle handling, so drivers need to adjust their driving by slowing down and being careful when passing high-sided vehicles on exposed roads. They should also give extra space to cyclists and motorcyclists when overtaking. Drivers should make sure their vehicles are prepared for winter.”
1.50pm – Harrogate Christmas rides may not be running
The Christmas attractions in Harrogate may not be running this weekend due to forecasted heavy winds.
Harrogate Borough Council said today that the ferris wheel, carousel and helter-skelter could be put on hold while Storm Arwen moves through the area.
A spokesperson added that the situation will be monitored over the next couple of days.

The Helter Skelter next to the war memorial in Harrogate town centre.
1.30pm – Emergency services issue safety advice
North Yorkshire Police and North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue have issued safety advice for residents in light of Storm Arwen.
Both have warned people to be careful if residents are out and about and to secure anything in the garden.
North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said:
- Don’t lose your trampoline down the street! We often get calls in relation to unsecured trampolines ending up in neighbour’s gardens or on nearby streets so please keep yours fastened down.
- Put garden furniture in storage or ensure it is secured so it doesn’t blow away or get damaged.
- Take care if you’re driving or walking anywhere as high winds could mean falling trees and debris.
- If you’re by the coast don’t be tempted to get close to sea walls and remember if you see someone in trouble in the water call 999 and ask for the Coastguard if you’re at the coast or the fire service if you’re inland.
North Yorkshire Police added:
- When you’re driving or walking, please be vigilant for falling debris.
- Check before you travel for any road closures or updates.
- If you’re by the coast, don’t be tempted to get close to sea walls.
- If you see someone in trouble in the water call 999 and ask for the Coastguard or the fire service if you are inland.
- If you see a fallen tree or any other debris which is causing a road obstruction, here’s what to do:
• If the obstruction poses an immediate danger on a busy road then call us on 999
• If the obstruction does not pose an immediate danger, call the council and ask for the highways department
• Please don’t put yourself in danger by trying to remove road debris on a busy road
12.45pm – Yellow warning for Harrogate district
A yellow weather warning for wind remains in place for tomorrow across the Harrogate district.
Storm Arwen is also predicted to bring cold temperatures with the possibility of sleet and snow over some lower ground although it is likely to be short-lived.
The Met Office has issued the following advice as to what to expect with a yellow warning:
- Flying debris is likely and could lead to Injuries or danger to life
- Probably damage to trees, temporary structures and buildings, such as tiles blown from roofs
- Longer journey times and cancellations likely, as road, rail, air and ferry services may be affected
- Some roads and bridges likely to close
- There is a good chance that power cuts may occur, with the potential to affect other services, such as mobile phone coverage

12.40pm – Mother Shipton’s set to close
Mother Shipton’s Cave in Knaresborough has also decided to close due to the forecasted high winds and snow tomorrow.
The attraction Tweeted today to say it is set in ancient woodland so is unable to open under the expected weather conditions.
A spokesperson said:
“We have had to make the difficult decision to close on Saturday 27th November 2021 due to amber weather warnings for wind.
“The attraction is set in ancient woodland and we cannot safely open during these conditions. We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.”
12pm – Fountains Abbey closes estate to visitors
The National Trust has announced that the Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal estate will be closed to visitors tomorrow.
It means that the music and lights event planned for between 2pm and 5pm, when the abbey would have been aglow in coloured lights with festive music playing, will not go ahead.
The team at Fountains Abbey has said it hopes to be able to reopen again on Sunday when the storm has passed.
A spokesperson for the National Trust said:
“Storm Arwen is making a gale force visit to Fountains tomorrow and to keep everyone safe the estate will be closed on Saturday.
“This includes Studley deer park as well as the abbey, water garden, visitor centre and car parks.
“We’re so sorry to disappoint anyone who was planning a visit and hope you’ll be able to come again another day.
“Fingers crossed we’ll be open as usual on Sunday but please do check our website and social media channels before you set off for the most up-to-date information.”
Stray drainage system robust, says contractor
The company that carried out drainage work on the Stray at West Park has said the new system is robust and conforms to industry requirements.
John Lowe, managing director of Green Hammerton company L Philliskirk and Sons, said the company used a controlled discharge system that removes water slowly — but does not leave it standing for days or weeks as has historically blighted the Stray.
The Stray Ferret reported yesterday the Stray at West Park was flooded after one night of rain, six months after Harrogate Borough Council spent £20,000 on a new drainage system for this area.
By early afternoon most of the water had indeed drained away. The main problem was large puddles on the adjoining path – with some forcing pedestrians off the footpath close to the Prince of Wales roundabout.
Mr Lowe said the hydrobrake system conformed with Yorkshire Water guidelines. He likened it to draining water through a straw, and said it could be frustratingly slow but was effective at preventing long-term flooding. He added:
“The system may not be as quick as everyone likes but it will drain the water.”
A spokesman for Harrogate Borough Council said the new drainage channels meant the water drained quicker than it did previously. He added:
“This area is one of the lowest points so the water will naturally make its way there. Over the coming hours and days this standing water will filter through to the drainage channels and subside. Rather than the weeks that it would have remained there previously.”
Read more:
Stray floods despite £20,000 drainage scheme
The West Park area of the Stray was flooded this morning after the first night of heavy rain since Harrogate Borough Council spent £20,000 improving drainage.
Several large puddles covered the Stray this morning, the largest of which is at the corner of West Park and Otley Road.
The council announced in April it had awarded £130,000 to Glendale Services to restore the Stray after last year’s UCI Road World Championships caused widespread damage.
More than £20,000 of this was set aside to improve poor drainage, which caused regular flooding.

More puddles on the corner of Beech Grove and West Park.
Council leader Richard Cooper said the investment would “address the historic drainage issues at the corner of Otley Road and West Park” that had been “an issue and frustration to local residents for a number of years”.
But today’s evidence suggests the problem of flooding remains.
Read more:
- West Park Stray — 12 months of mud, repair and debate
- Harrogate council: Dangerous West Park Stray claims ‘simply ridiculous’
- West Park Stray opening is ‘frankly dangerous,’ says SDA
A council spokesman said:
“Overnight, there was a significant amount of rainfall that has resulted in numerous areas in Harrogate and across the district experiencing standing water. West Park Stray being one of them. This standing water will filter through to the drainage channels in due course.”
Harrogate Borough Council reopened West Park Stray in August, more than 11 months after the UCI championships ended.

The council promised to fix the problem.
The Stray Defence Association said it believes the work did not fully repair the damage and said it remains “dangerous” – something the council disputes as “frankly ridiculous.”
West Park Stray: A year at a glance
- UCI World Championships – September 2019
- West Park Stray pictured as a quagmire – October 2019
- Partial recovery but problems remain – March 2020
- Heavy machinery moves in to work – May 2020
- Green shoots of hope – July 2020
- West Park Stray opens to public after 316 days – August 2020
- Debate rumbles on about West Park Stray – September 2020
- West Park Stray floods – October 2020
