Harrogate man denies raping teenage girlMan appears in court charged with rape in HarrogateHarrogate man charged with historic rapeNine rapes reported at Harrogate Army Foundation College in 13 months

Nine allegations of rape at Harrogate’s Army Foundation College have been reported to police in the last 13 months.

The figures were revealed in a Freedom of Information response from North Yorkshire Police.

According to the data, nine rapes, two incidents of voyeurism and two sexual assaults were reported to civilian police between July 2022 and August 2023.

No details have been given as to whether the incidents involved recruits or staff at the college.

It comes after the college on Penny Pot Lane, which trains junior soldiers aged 16 and 17, was hit by allegations of abuse and bullying in 2021.

However, ministers defended the organisation and said it had a “much improved climate”.

Baroness Goldie, a Ministry of Defence minister, told the House of Lords in May this year that the college had taken steps to improve and that this was reflected by an Ofsted report in 2021.

However, the new figures raise questions over further allegations of sexual assault and abuse.

Jim Wyke, of the Child Rights International Network, which campaigns for the raising of the military age, said the government should look again at the recruitment age.

He said:

“Ministers must look seriously at making the transition to an all-adult armed forces, recruiting for the armed forces at 18 is the settled consensus in most of the world.”

In response to the figure, a British Army spokesperson said:

“The army is committed to rooting out all forms of inappropriate behaviour and we have a zero-tolerance policy on sexual offences – any personnel convicted of a sexual offence will be dismissed.

“We have very strong safeguarding mechanisms at AFC(H) to ensure junior soldiers have the right support structures. This includes multiple methods of accessing welfare support, including confidential support lines.

“It would be inappropriate to comment on investigations which may be ongoing”


Read more:


 

Witnesses come forward in Harrogate rape investigation

Two potential witnesses have come forward after police issued an appeal last night.

North Yorkshire Police said it had arrested a 35-year-old man in connection with a rape at a Harrogate bar and restaurant.

The incident occurred in the downstairs female toilets at Revolucion de Cuba on Parliament Street during the early hours of Saturday, April 8, 2023.

The victim is receiving specialist support.

Officers issued CCTV images of two women who entered the female toilets at around the time of the incident and asked anyone who knew them to get in touch.

A police update said:

“Following an earlier appeal on Friday evening to trace two potential witnesses in support of an investigation into the rape of a woman in Harrogate, we can confirm that both women have now come forward.”

The Stray Ferret has consequently removed the images from its website and social media accounts.


Read more:


 

Harrogate man denies rape of girl under 13

A Harrogate man has denied raping a girl under the age of 13.

Carl Briggs, 42, of Wisteria Gardens, appeared before Harrogate Magistrates Court to face two charges on Friday (April 28).

Briggs, who spoke only to confirm his name and enter a plea, denied two counts of rape of a girl under the age of 13.

He pleaded not guilty to the first charge, which is alleged to have taken place at a house in Knaresborough between September 13, 2013, and September 13, 2017.

The 42-year-old denied a second count, which is alleged to have taken place in Bradford.

Magistrates ordered Briggs to appear before York Crown Court on May 30, 2023.


Read more:


 

Former Harrogate Town player Jack Diamond charged with rape

Former Harrogate Town player Jack Diamond has been charged with rape.

Northumbria Police confirmed today Gateshead-born Mr Diamond had been charged with one count of rape and one count of sexual assault.

He joined Lincoln City on loan from parent club Sunderland after a second loan spell at Harrogate ended last year.

Lincoln City have terminated his contract and parent club Sunderland have suspended him pending the outcome of the judicial process.

A Northumbria Police spokesperson said:

“In May last year, we received a report that a woman had been sexually assaulted inside an address in the Washington area.

“An investigation was immediately launched and a man was subsequently arrested.

“Jack Diamond, 23, of Fatfield, Washington, has now been charged with one count of rape and one count of sexual assault and is due to appear at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court in May.”

Mr Diamond played for Town on loan during their National League campaign in 2019-20, scoring one of the goals at Wembley that earned promotion to the English Football League for the first time ever.

He returned to the club on loan during the 2021-22 season in League Two of the English Football League.

In his two loan spells, he scored 16 goals in 66 appearances.

A Lincoln City statement said:

“Jack Diamond’s loan spell at City has been terminated with immediate effect.

“The club are unable to make any further statement at this time.”


Read more:


 

Crime commissioner pledges to tackle ‘woefully low’ rape prosecution rates

North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner Zoe Metcalfe has pledged to tackle the county’s “woefully low” prosecution rate for rape.

According to government figures, just nine rape allegations reached court in North Yorkshire between April 2021 and March 2022.

Ms Metcalfe told a meeting this week she planned to visit the Rape and Serious Sexual Offences Unit in Leeds to learn how North Yorkshire could improve its prosecution rate.

The unit consists of lawyers who are specially trained in dealing with allegations of rape, serious sexual offences and child abuse.

Ms Metcalfe, a Conservative who was elected commissioner last year, was responding to a question from Victoria Oldham, the Conservative councillor for Washburn (pictured below), at this week’s Harrogate Borough Council overview and scrutiny committee. Cllr Oldham asked:

“Are you satisfied with the percentages taken through to prosecution?”

Victoria Oldham

Ms Metcalfe replied:

“No I am not. It is woefully low and it needs to get a lot better.”


Read more:


Ms Metcalfe said she frequently raised concerns with the Crown Prosecution Service and that violence against women and girls was one of her key priorities.

Cllr Oldham asked whether underfunding was the cause of the problem.

‘Myriad of factors’

Tom Thorp, interim assistant chief executive at the commissioner’s office, replied there were a “myriad of factors involved”, such as collecting evidence, victims not wanting to participate and being unable to locate suspects. Mr Thorp added:

“Then they have to meet evidential thresholds, which can be difficult and even if they get through to prosecution there is no guarantee they will convict.

“Our conviction rate when we get to prosecution is really good – about 80%. That’s one of the highest in the country. Once we get through we know the quality of our cases is good for those that we do take to prosecution so yes, it is about getting more prosecutions.”

Pat Marsh, the Liberal Democrat leader in Harrogate and Knaresborough, said she was “shocked to learn violence against women and girls is very high”.

Ms Metcalfe said she had launched a strategy to address violence against women and girls that identified gaps in provision and how to work in partnership better. She added:

“I would like more safer places and there will be investment in that going forward.”

Man jailed for raping woman as she slept in Knaresborough

A man has been jailed for raping a woman in Knaresborough as she slept after a night out.

Dariush Behdarvandi-Aidi, 33, was convicted of the rape in Knaresborough in December 2017 and another rape in Leeds in April 2017.

Behdarvandi-Aidi, from Pocklington, was sentenced today to six years and 10 months at Leeds Crown Court.

When Behdarvandi-Aidi raped the Knaresborough woman, she woke and pushed him away.

She then called the police while he was still in the house. Officers attended immediately and arrested the man.


Read more:


A month later another woman reported to the police that her friend had been sexually assaulted and raped by Behdarvandi-Aidi in Leeds.

Like the Knaresborough case, the woman was sleeping after a night out. When she woke she had no memory of what had happened.

Detective constable Emma Dawson, who investigated the case, said:

“I am pleased that justice has been delivered for both victims today. No prison sentence can make up for the distress and suffering they have endured.

“But I hope they can both take some comfort from the fact that Behdarvandi-Aidi is now behind bars for his crimes.”

If you have been the victim of a sexual offence recently or many years ago then call North Yorkshire Police on 101. Or 999 if you are in danger.

The Bridge House Sexual Assault Referral Centre in Bishopthorpe, York is available for those who may not want to speak to the police on 0330 223 0362.