Harrogate road to be closed until November

The closure of a busy road in Harrogate is to continue until November.

A section of road where Kingsley Road meets Bogs Lane has already been closed for five months to enable Redrow to carry out work at its 133-home Kingsley Manor development.

The closure, which prevents traffic using Kingsley Road and Bogs Lane as thoroughfares, has divided opinion.

It has also heightened fears about emergency vehicle response times as the route can be used as an alternative when Starbeck level crossing barriers are down.

North Yorkshire County Council issued a temporary prohibition of traffic order that came into effect on November 7 last year.

The order was for 12 months but at the time David Faraday, technical director for Redrow (Yorkshire), said “we don’t anticipate the works will take the full six months to complete”.

But signs have now appeared saying the closure will be active until November.

Kingsley development

Kingsley Road, shortly before the road closure.

Mr Faraday said today:

“Unfortunately due to reasons beyond our control, essential works at the entrance to our Kingsley Manor development have been delayed.  We informed the local authority of this and in January they granted permission for road closures to be extended until November 2023 in the interest of safety.

“We are pushing to complete the works, which include bringing new high voltage electricity cables to the site as quickly as possible so that the roads can be reopened. We would like to thank residents for their patience and understanding while the works are being undertaken.”

Knaresborough Road ‘saturated’

Local resident Clare Ayres said she was disappointed and wanted the road to re-open as soon as possible because it would ease “the saturation of traffic on Knaresborough Road” and surrounding routes.

Ms Ayres added:

“It won’t be long before they start building on the land on Kingsley Drive, which will mean more lorries and congestion. I’m also concerned about access for emergency vehicles.”

Cllr Chris Aldred, a Liberal Democrat who represents High Harrogate and Kingsley on North Yorkshire Council, said there was no obligation on Redrow to consult on the matter as the traffic order applied for 12 months.

He also said the developer had been obliging by maintaining a footway for pedestrians and cyclists, who would have otherwise faced a 1.4-mile diversion.

Cllr Aldred also said he supported moves to permanently close the road at the bridge where Kingsley Road and Bogs Lane meet. He said:

“It would stop the notorious Kingsley rat run, once and for all, so a further six months actually allows time to continue this experiment whilst the works continue.”


Read more:


 

Otley Road to be closed for cycle route improvements

Otley Road in Harrogate will be closed for five nights next month while remedial works are carried out to the cycle path.

The work follows a review of the project by North Yorkshire County Council and contractor WSP after its completion last February.

The company had been asked to carry out improvements, including carriageway resurfacing, but this was delayed until after CityFibre installed new fibre broadband infrastructure earlier this year.

Now, dates have been set for the remedial work.

Otley Road will be closed between Cold Bath Road and Harlow Moor Road every night from April 24 to 28, from 7pm to 3am.

The Stray Ferret asked the council for full details of the work to be carried out, but had not received a response by the time of publication.

The news of the planned works follows an announcement from the council that it was scrapping the second phase of the three-part cycle lane scheme.

The first phase, which saw shared and segregated cycle lanes installed on Otley Road between Cold Bath Road and Harlow Moor Road, has come under fire since its construction. As part of a joint project which also aimed to widen the junction between Otley Road and Harlow Moor Road, it cost more than £2.2m.

Pedestrians have said the shared paths do not feel safe, while cyclists said it did nothing to encourage more people to cycle.


Read more:


As a result, the council said it is reviewing plans for schemes to encourage active travel and would not be extending the cycle route to Beech Grove, as originally planned.

Speaking last month, the council’s executive member for transport, Cllr Keane Duncan, said:

“Our proposal to consider an alternative package of sustainable transport measures demonstrates how we are listening to public feedback. Halting construction of phase two allows us the opportunity to prepare new measures with local input and support.

“The constraints of Otley Road meant it was always going to be difficult to meet government cycle infrastructure design standards without infringing on the Stray, widening the road or removing trees.

“We consulted on a number of options, but these were not fully compliant and attracted criticism. Cyclists have expressed concerns that the proposed cycle way would not encourage more cycling due to its design, while pedestrians said they were concerned about their safety.

“Given the concerns, it is right that we think again and explore alternative measures to promote walking, cycling and use of public transport.”

Kirkgate to close for Easter street party in Ripon

Live music, al fresco dining and entertainment will draw residents and visitors into central Ripon on Easter Monday.

The day of entertainment will see Kirkgate closed to traffic on April 10 from 10am to 4pm, allowing people to enjoy the party atmosphere and businesses to see the impact of pedestrianisation.

The street party will feature live music from Hyde Family Jam, as well as pop-up entertainers and street food from Jaflong Indian and Manchega’s tapas.

The event will be part of the new Totally Locally scheme being adopted by traders and Ripon Business Improvement District, designed to encourage people to spend with independent businesses in the city.

Promoting the event, the BID said:

“Totally Locally have calculated that if every adult in the population were to spend just £5 per week in local shops and businesses, that would contribute £13.5 billion per year to the local UK economy.

“If every adult in Ripon spent just £5 per week in their local independent shops that would result in an extra £3.1 million per year going into our local Ripon economy.

“Kirkgate is the heart of independent business. The street party on Easter Monday is a celebration of the ‘buy local’ movement.”

Independent businesses interested in getting involved in the event can contact Manchega.


Read more:


 

Landslip-hit Pateley Bridge road finally set to reopen on Friday

A Pateley Bridge road affected by a landslip three years ago is finally set to reopen on Friday.

Temporary traffic lights were installed on the B6265 at Red Brae Bank, Bewerley after storms caused a landslip in February 2020.

The route then closed to traffic in October last year when North Yorkshire County Council began a £480,000 scheme to stabilise the road, which is on the steep slope out of Pateley to Greenhow Hill.

The road was initially due to reopen on December 16 but the date was then pushed back to January 18.

Numerous local residents, including former Pateley town councillor Chris Hawkesworth, have contacted the Stray Ferret expressing frustration over the length of the works and lack of information about when it will reopen. Many face lengthy detours to get in and out of Pateley Bridge.

This week Ken Easton, who lives in Wilsill but drives to work in Grassington, said the detour was costing him an extra £150 a week in fuel.

Mr Easton also said his vehicle suffered a burst tyre and cracked wheel this week when he hit a pothole on the Two Stoops route to Grassington.


Read more:


Andrew Murday, the Liberal Democrat county councillor for Pateley Bridge and Nidderdale, told the Stray Ferret earlier this month he could understand people’s frustration but the project was “geologically difficult” and progress was subject to weather conditions.

North Yorkshire County Council’s highways area manager, Melisa Burnham, previously said:

“Work has taken longer than anticipated as it became clear that we needed to increase the depth and length of the excavation to lay the foundations. Final works involve reconstructing the surface of the road.”

A North Yorkshire County Council spokeswoman said yesterday:

“The recent wet weather has caused a delay and the reopening is now planned for Friday, January 27.”

Are the Beech Grove planters set for a comeback?

More than six weeks have passed since Beech Grove in Harrogate reopened to through traffic.

But the planters that blocked the highway remain by the side of the road — prompting speculation that they might be brought back.

Beech Grove was closed to through traffic for 18 months from February last year to encourage cycling and walking in the area.

When the experimental order implementing the measure expired in August, the planters were moved to the side and traffic could once again use the route to travel between Otley Road and West Park.

A no-through road sign also remains in place, prompting questions about whether measures to restrict traffic on Beech Grove could be brought back.

Beech Grove is regarded as a key part of wider plans to create a traffic-free route for cyclists between Harrogate train station and Cardale Park on Otley Road.

Beech Grove sign

The Stray Ferret asked North Yorkshire County Council, the highways authority, why the planters and sign had not been removed and whether there were any plans to once again prohibit traffic on Beech Grove.

Melisa Burnham, highways area manager at the council, said the council was still considering what to do. She said:

“The planters are safely placed at the side of the road but will not be removed until we have considered the potential links from Otley Road to the town centre further.

“The sign was missed in error and we will remove it as soon as possible.”

Last month Cllr Keane Duncan, the council’s executive member for highways and transport, said it would “bring forward a detailed and coordinated plan, connecting active travel initiatives such as Otley Road and Station Gateway together”.

How Beech Grove figures in these plans remains to be seen.

Ex-Harrogate headteacher welcomes end to ‘dangerous’ Beech Grove closure

Former Harrogate headteacher Dennis Richards has spoken of his relief at the decision to end the Beech Grove closure.

Mr Richards, who was headteacher at St Aidan’s Church of England High School from 1989 to 2012, lives on Victoria Road, close to Beech Grove.

He said closing Beech Grove to through traffic to encourage cycling and walking was well intentioned but had led to a large increase in speeding traffic on Victoria Road.

So he was delighted when North Yorkshire County Council announced yesterday that restrictions on vehicles using Beech Grove and Lancaster Road in Harrogate will end on August 14.

Mr Richards said:

“The impact on Victoria Road has been traumatic.

“It has been very dangerous, particularly at the top end where it runs into Otley Road, especially during term time.

“Since Beech Grove closed, Victoria Road has become a race track so I’m delighted from a safety point of view.”


Read more:


Being a former headteacher, Mr Richards said he sympathised with the aim of creating a low traffic neighbourhood to improve the environment.

But he said the scheme was “half-baked” because it had the unintended consequence of making the surrounding roads worse.

Victoria Road, he said, was particularly badly affected because the narrow section from Lancaster Road to Otley Road, where Mr Richards lives, doesn’t have any speed bumps to slow motorists. He said:

“Harrogate Grammar School is only 150 yards up the road and this will make the roads safer.”

 

Traffic order to discourage cars on two Knaresborough streets begins today

A traffic order to reduce the number of cars and encourage other forms of transport has been brought in on two Knaresborough streets today.

North Yorkshire County Council has introduced the new traffic regulation order on Eastfield, a residential street off Chain Lane, and Cardinal Way, part of the new development near Aldi.

The stretch of roads affected is separated by Frogmire Dike and will now only be open to motorists who live in the area, emergency services vehicles, wedding or funeral party transport, or people carrying out building works.

In the statement of reasons released by the county council, it says the decision has been made to reduce danger and encourage the use of other means of travel, such as public transport and walking.

The order comes in today, under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984. A map showing the road affected can be viewed at Harrogate Library until June 24 or online here.


Read more:


 

Delivery van gets stuck on Harrogate’s Stray after attempting shortcut

A delivery van got stuck in the mud on The Stray in Harrogate when it attempted to take a shortcut over the grass last weekend.

A Harrogate woman captured the images of the beached vehicle during Saturday afternoon’s snowfall.

Tyre tracks indicate the van attempted to bypass the recent road closure on Beech Grove by mounting the Stray. But the ruse backfired when the vehicle sunk in the mud shortly before it was able to rejoin the highway.

Beech Grove closed to through traffic a year ago on an 18-month trial basis.

https://twitter.com/HellyR1/status/1495077805964595201

Helen, who declined to reveal her surname, captured the incident while walking. She said other vehicles had performed the same cross-country detour, adding:

“I live locally, I think the road closure is great but it saddens me when the minority feel they have the right to ignore it and drive over the Stray.

“One lady brought her car inches from my legs when I stopped her and suggested she went back.”

She has notified North Yorkshire County Council, the highways authority, about the incident as well as the parks department at Harrogate Borough Council and sent photos of previous damage.


Read more:


“It was only a matter of time before someone got stuck and sadly it was this DPD driver. The damage is awful. Others have done it — future people will also get stuck as the Stray is so waterlogged.

“I’ve suggested to North Yorkshire County Council and Harrogate Borough Council that large logs could be put between trees — we’ve plenty around after the storms. This would stop cars.”

Urgent investigation

A DPD spokesman said:

“We are aware of the incident and are investigating what happened and what needs to be done as a result, as a matter of urgency.

“Until that work has been done, we can’t really say a great deal more, but I will follow up with the operation and update you as soon as possible.”

Other photos of the incident, sent separately, reveal the tyre tracks of multiple vehicles that have attempted a similar manoeuvre, cutting across a public footpath in the process.

DPD van stuck on Stray DPD van stuck on Stray DPD van stuck on Stray DPD van stuck on Stray DPD van stuck on Stray

18-month road closure order begins on Starbeck’s Bogs Lane

An 18-month closure order came into place on Bogs Lane in Starbeck today amid ongoing development work in the area.

The street, just off the main A59, is a busy residential area that has been affected by numerous new housing schemes.

Henshaws Specialist College, which has about 80 students with special educational needs and disabilities, is also based on Bogs Lane.

North Yorkshire County Council‘s roadworks map says the closure is for ‘carriageway works’ and is due to end on March 26, 2023.

The Stray Ferret understands residents and businesses will still able to get in and out of the road during the work but we were unable to get clarification from the council on precisely how often the road will be closed over the next year and a half.

With a similar 18-month closure order already in place on Kingsley Drive, locals are already used to dealing with road closures.

Barrie Mason, assistant director for highways and transportation at the county council, said in a statement:

“An 18-month order is processed should there be a need for multiple works on site, for example, surface dressing.

“An-18 month order also allows for changes in the programme if necessary. When the dates are confirmed they are published on our roadworks map.

“Wherever possible we alert residents and road users to roadworks in advance.”


Read more:


The road is often used as a cut-through by motorists to avoid tailbacks on the A59 so any closures over the months ahead could increase traffic on Knaresborough Road.

Follow our morning Traffic and Travel blogs for live updates on roadworks and delays. 

Get set for a month of roadworks on Jenny Field Drive

More roadworks are coming to Harrogate after Yorkshire Water announced it will carry out essential work on Jenny Field Drive next month.

The work will begin on August 2 and last until the 29th — the day before the August bank holiday Monday.

Delays are likely as the company carries out work to construct new pipework.

A short diversion will be in place on the area of Jenny Field Drive, close to the playground, to allow engineers to complete the project.

The full extent of the road closures isn’t yet known.

A Yorkshire Water spokesperson said:

“We are making investments in the local water network to ensure that we can continue to provide high quality drinking water to our customers.

“In order to carry out the work, we will need to temporarily close part of Jenny Field Drive to ensure that our contractors can work safely.”


Read more: