North Yorkshire Council has confirmed that the planned opening date for a new school in Harrogate for children with autism has been pushed back until 2025.
The council’s Conservative-run executive approved the creation of the school last year which will be at the former Woodfield Community Primary School in Bilton.
It had pledged the new school would be open in time for the September 2024 term however in an update this morning, a council spokesperson said this will no longer be possible.
They did not give a reason for the delay but said the authority is committed to securing more special educational needs (SEN) provision in Harrogate.
Since 2016, the number of children in North Yorkshire with identified special educational needs and disability and a legally-binding education, health and care plan has increased by more than 110%, leading to a shortage of special school places and numerous children being taught by independent providers.
Independent day sector placements typically cost the public purse up to £70,000 annually and the average cost of a special school placement is about £23,000.
The results of a consultation revealed considerable support for the creation of the school in Harrogate with 86% of 105 responses in favour.
The council has pledged a £3.5 million investment into creating the school.
Amanda Newbold, the council’s assistant director for education and skills, said:
“We are committed to securing more special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) provision in North Yorkshire. The target opening date has been revised to next year.”
Cllr Paul Haslam (Independent, Bilton and Nidd Gorge) told the Local Democracy Reporting Service that he was monitoring developments at the new school.
Woodfield school, which closed in 2022, had large playing fields and Cllr Haslam is urging the council to make it available to the public once the new school is created.
He added:
“I’ve put in a proposal for dual access to sports grounds so it can be used by the local community. That would be a good use of space.”
Read more:
- Harrogate disability charity launches accessible walking route packs
- Green light set to be given tomorrow to 1,300 homes in Ripon
Huge interest in new group for Harrogate parents of neurodiverse children
More than 200 people have already signed up to a new Facebook group designed to help local parents with neurodiverse children, just days after it was set up by two Harrogate mothers.
Emily Mitchell and Ashlie Charleton founded Sen Hub Harrogate – Parent Support to enable parents of children with special educational needs (SEN) to access information about SEN-friendly groups and classes, as well as support and advice about Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP) and the Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
Emily, whose daughter Elsie is autistic and non-verbal, told the Stray Ferret:
“We want to make a beautiful little community where we can all help and support each other. It can be quite lonely sometimes as the parent of a neurodiverse child, so it’s really nice to be able to reach out and find other people who are in the same position and understand the challenges. Having that support is absolutely vital.
“There are actually quite a lot of things going on now. We’ve got Neurodiverse Stay and Play on Thursday mornings at Oatlands Community Centre, Diverse Minds every second Tuesday after school, and Saturday afternoon sessions at Harrogate Gymnastics on Hornbeam Park – and there’s a lot more stuff starting up and becoming available.
“It’s really nice to be able to find things that enable us to give our kids a ‘normal’ upbringing.”
The pair started the group – which can also be found on Instagram – after being shocked by how little help parents received when their children were first diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorder.
Ashlie, whose son Harry is three-and-a-half, said:
“They say there’s no handbook for raising a child, but having a neurodiverse child is a completely different ballgame.
“When I was going through the process of finding out my son was autistic, we were more or less left to it. We were given an online course to go on, which turned out to be a video call with about 50 other parents, but there was no opportunity to get individual feedback or ask questions personal to our children. We weren’t told anything about all the things, like DLA and EHCP, that can make life easier. We just didn’t want other parents to go through all that.”
In a report published in May this year, North Yorkshire Council estimated that since 2016 the number of children and young people with SEN and an EHCP has increased by more than 110% across the county.
Read more:
- Harrogate autism school could save £4m a year
- 86% support plans to open autism school in Harrogate
- Lack of special need provision in schools ‘failing children’, says Harrogate mother
Lack of special need provision in schools ‘failing children’, says Harrogate mother
A Harrogate mother has criticised special educational needs provision in North Yorkshire as “failing children” after her four-year-old was placed into a mainstream school.
Emily Mitchell, whose daughter Elsie is non-verbal, has been diagnosed with autism and of high need, said schools for special educational needs lacked funding and staff to cope with demand.
Ms Mitchell made the comments after she said her daughter’s needs were “disregarded” during a placement process.
Ahead of applying for schools last year, Elsie was given an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) which detailed her needs and was submitted to schools to consider.
Ms Mitchell, who runs a support group for neurodiverse children and their parents, said she was turned down by five mainstream schools and two specialist schools ahead of the school year starting in September.
The specialist schools, which included Springwater School in Starbeck, said they were up to capacity for pupils.
Meanwhile, the mainstream schools were unable to meet Elsie’s need.
Following the process, Ms Mitchell took North Yorkshire Council to mediation in May in order to resolve the issue.
Read more:
- New school for autistic children planned in Harrogate
- Council to explore ‘alternative educational uses’ for Woodfield school
However, despite assurances from professionals and Elsie’s pre-school that she would require specialist care, Ms Mitchell said the council decided to place her into a mainstream school.
Ms Mitchell said:
“After all that time and effort I get a phone call from the local authority to say because they can’t find anywhere to put Elsie, she will be placed in her local catchment mainstream school, who have already told the local authority they can’t meet need.
“But they have over ruled this and not given me any other choice.”

Emily playing with her daughter Elsie.
Ms Mitchell has since taken the decision to appeal and submitted a formal complaint.
She said she feels the provision for special educational needs in North Yorkshire is failing children and described it as “unfair”.
Ms Mitchell said:
“This is so ridiculously unfair on poor Elsie as they are just disregarding her needs.
“There are no spaces for special educational needs children in the schools, not enough funding, not enough staff and the whole system are failing these children.
“I know for a fact Elsie isn’t the only child that is suffering because of this. It’s going to be traumatising for Elsie, so I’m fighting and taking this further.”
The Stray Ferret has approached North Yorkshire Council for a response, but had not received one by the time of publication.
Increase in demand
The council said in its own reports that it has a shortage of places for special educational needs and disabilities pupils.
According to a report in May this year, the authority estimated that since 2016 the number of children and young people with SEND and an Education, Health and Care Plan has increased by more than 110% across the county.
Currently, there are 4,500 children with an EHCP in North Yorkshire and the council estimates it will need an additional 350 SEND school places over the next three to five years to meet demand.
In a report, it said:
“The growth in numbers of autistic children and other communication and interaction needs is the single largest area of growth and the local authority has a duty to have a range of provision to meet those needs including mainstream schools, resource bases and special schools.”
Last month, the council launched a consultation on converting the former Woodfield Primary School in Harrogate into a school for children with autism.
It also announced plans to expand Springwater School in Starbeck by an additional 45 places in February.
Teachers back plans for specialist autism school in HarrogateSchools across the Harrogate district have given their backing to plans for a specialist school for students with autism.
The proposal for the site of the former Woodfield Primary School will be discussed by North Yorkshire Council leaders today – and teachers are urging them to support it.
Samina O’Brien, special educational needs coordinator (Senco) and inclusion manager at Ripon Grammar School, said a specialist facility for students with autism across the Harrogate district was badly needed.
She told the Stray Ferret:
“We are getting so many more diagnoses of autism and a lot of these students can’t cope, to the point where they stop coming to school.
“When they come back, the school can’t change. The students can’t cope with the routine, the rigidity of the rules, and even when we make allowances they still struggle.”
Mrs O’Brien said schools did their best to help children with autism, but did not receive adequate funding to deliver the right support, such as one-to-one help or quieter rooms to work in.
She said Ripon Grammar School was not as badly affected by the situation as some schools because it was selective based on academic ability. However, she said many autistic students were highly academically able, but were unable to reach their full potential because they could not cope with the school environment.
When that was the case, specialist provision was often a significant distance away, she said, and students were not always able to make the journey.
There were private specialist schools students could attend, but cost was a barrier for most families. She added:
“There’s some stereotyping about the students in North Yorkshire, but the problems are the same wherever you are in the country. They don’t just change because you’ve crossed into an area that’s perceived as more wealthy or more rural.
“We’ve got a few students here who we know would be so much more suited to [a specialist school]. It would still be academic, but we would reduce the amount of stress the students went through.
“Our biggest concern is how unhappy some of those youngsters are. I think it would be so beneficial for all those students that are struggling.
“If this goes ahead, for some parents and more importantly the children, this will be what saves them and puts them back into mainstream where they should be and can thrive.”
Read more:
- New school for autistic children planned in Harrogate
- School near Boroughbridge with just one pupil set for closure
The proposal for the former Woodfield site is for a school catering for students aged between 11 and 19. It would have capacity for around 80 children, who would not need to have a formal diagnosis of autism.
Rossett School is also in favour of the proposal. Newly-appointed headteacher Tim Milburn said:
“It is so pleasing to see significant investment being proposed for specialist provision in the area. This is such welcome news for children and families who have been seeking this support for a number of years.
“I will be really interested to hear how the investment will support children and families for whom mainstream education is the most appropriate setting.”
Liz Zoccolan, Senco and assistant headteacher at Harrogate Grammar School, added:
“Any increase in provision which will meet the needs of the growing number of students with education, health and care plans is to be welcomed in the area. This would further enable potentially vulnerable young people and their families timely access to specialist support if that is their choice.
“We would be keen to work alongside and collaborate with the proposed provision so that as many students as possible may benefit.”
If the plans are approved by NYC’s executive member for children and young people’s services and corporate directors today, a consultation could be launched in two weeks’ time, running until late July.
Government accused over special educational needs in North YorkshireTory-run North Yorkshire Council has accused the Department for Education of “extremely slow” action and unfair funding of school spaces for vulnerable youngsters with special educational needs.
An officers’ report to leading members of the council highlights the government awards the county just 61% of the national average figure for special schools building schemes.
At the same time, the council faces a shortfall of about 100 places from September and 350 places over the next three to five years.
The report states using DfE data and criteria for specialist provision funding, North Yorkshire ranked 118th out of 150 councils.
Officers said this academic year had seen “a very marked increase” in requests for pupils to be assessed for SEN.
So while 700 new assessments had been a reasonably stable level for a number of years, forecasts of the likely number of requests for this year were between 980 and 1,090.
In addition, the report states resources available to the council to invest in key maintenance projects have reduced significantly in recent years, so North Yorkshire Council only receives about £6.3m to maintain 200 schools.
Exacerbating this, all of the council’s applications to secure government rebuild programmes at its special schools have been unsuccessful.
Officers said capital funding from the government for high needs pupils had been “significant but disappointing in comparison to other authorities”.
Pupils in Kensington and Chelsea get five times more
They said they had “significant concerns” about how the DfE allocated £88 per pupil in North Yorkshire compared to £483 per pupil in Kensington and Chelsea.
The report states several schools are in pressing need of repairs and Welburn Hall School, near Kirkbymoorside, has been identified as being “at risk of catastrophic buildings failure”.
However, the report states the authority has insufficient funding to tackle “significant concerns about the suitability and condition of our special schools”, adding its “overarching priority with the limited capital resource envelope available is to respond to create more classroom spaces”.
The report adds although the DfE approved the council’s bid for funding to create a Special Free School four years ago, the latest estimated opening date for the school was 2025.
The officers wrote:
“Whilst we were successful in securing the Selby Free School through the DfE Special Free School programme, DfE’s delivery of the school has been extremely slow.
“This is disappointing given that the 100 places that the school will create are urgently needed to address overlap capacity shortfalls and provide access to a local provision to families from the Selby area.”
Read more:
- The Harrogate school providing children with additional support
- Headteacher of King James’s School in Knaresborough leaves after 15 years
A government spokesperson said delays in delivering the proposed new Selby school had included reaching agreement with the council for its contribution to the access road and abnormal works, and an unsuccessful procurement of a contractor to build the permanent school.
The spokesperson said it had strived to distribute high needs provision capital funding fairly and efficiently between local authorities based on both their size, and their share of estimated growth in demand for high needs provision between academic years
She added:
“Every child deserves to have access to education that meets their needs. Our recent improvement plan will reform the support system for children with special educational needs and disabilities, prioritising earlier intervention and creating consistent high standards across the country.”
The Harrogate school providing children with additional support
In September, the Harrogate district will have a new secondary school — but it won’t be anything like the current ones.
Strive for Education‘s roll will have just 33 students who struggle in mainstream schools and require additional support. Many will have been referred for two or three days a week by other schools in the district.
Strive was set up three years ago by former Harrogate Grammar School assistant headteacher Andy Brown and his wife Sonja, who felt students requiring additional support were under-served locally.
Education inspector Ofsted paved the way for it to transition from an alternative education provider to an independent school, and potentially expand its provision, when inspectors published a report this year concluding it “is likely to meet all the independent school standards”.
Ofsted recognition means Strive will be able to provide a full-time curriculum from September and be eligible to take on students who receive education, health and care plans from local authorities full-time.
Based on North Park Road in Harrogate and with a workshop in Starbeck, Strive classes have no more than six pupils to ensure students get enough support.

The hairdressing area
There is a hairdressing studio and a calm room with bean bags where students can relax, as well as a kitchen and a pool table.
Mr Brown says:
“I identified a huge gap that wasn’t being met locally. A lot of kids were travelling out of the area for this kind of provision.
“Put kids in the right environment with the right support and they feel safe. The big difference is they know we care. Of course all schools care – but it’s different level here.”
Students, who stay for between 12 weeks and two years, have special educational needs, including social, emotional and mental health issues. Autism and ADHD are common.
Read more:
- Ofsted paves way for new Harrogate school offering additional support
- Headteacher of King James’s School in Knaresborough leaves after 15 years
Mr Brown admits it can be difficult to pitch the teaching given the wide range of needs and abilities. But he adds:
“If anyone asks me what the greatest challenge has been it’s not the kids — it’s getting the right staff in. They have to be able to relate and provide the right education.”
If the school expands, its main Harrogate site on a residential street might not be able to cope and the Browns are keeping an eye out for a new school – although they have ruled out Woodfield Community Primary School in Bilton, which closed last year. But change isn’t imminent. Mr Brown says:
“The plan is that next year we will be open as an independent school and see how it goes for the first year and take stock.”

Andy Brown
For now though, the timetable and staffing are in place for September.
Mr Brown says his education background and his wife’s business and HR experience makes them a “perfect combination”.
But such specialist education isn’t cheap. Annual fees for full-time places start at £27,000 and vary depending on the needs of the young person, the extra support they require, and any additional professional services needed such as speech and language therapists and educational psychologists.
Strive’s educational offer also depends on whether young people are placed as part of alternative provision or full-time on-roll places.
The school will be holding a drop-in open day on April 28 at which people can meet staff and look round.