A group supporting the siblings of disabled children is set to have its first meeting in Harrogate this month.
The Sibling Group is an organisation offering a safe space for children with siblings who are disabled or have special needs. The first event in the area is set to take place January 20 from 10am-12pm at Christ Church.
The group for children aged six to 11 aims to “support their wellbeing and happiness”. The event will include activities and games to build positive relationships.
Grace Williams, founder of The Sibling Group created the organisation to support families who have children and siblings with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).
She has a younger brother with special educational needs who is non-verbal, has a learning disability and autism. Grace has become devoted to supporting other families in a similar situation. She has a degree in special education, is pursuing a masters degree in autism and inclusion, and currently works as a specialist key worker for the NHS.
She said
“Growing up there was not much support available and there was a lot of stigma around this. It was very challenging for my family and I, as we had to take on a care giving role and adapt to my brother’s needs very quickly.”
Grace grew up in Harrogate and her brother attends Springwater School. She says that despite the large SEND community in the area she has always been “aware of the lack of support for families”, so when creating The Sibling Group, she “thought it would be a good area to work in.”
“Siblings are not thought about when services are created and offered to families, and I want to change this. Siblings experience extreme stress, isolation and miss out on things other children their age are doing.”
“The Sibling Group offers a safe space for children to come and meet other children with similar experiences. We offer fun activities such as arts and crafts, singing and dancing, sports and games.”
The meetings are free of charge and will be running during the school holidays and on Saturdays. To book a place at the event click here.
Read more:
- Children’s Corner is the only double winner at Family Business Awards
- Harrogate charity raises £75,000 for critically ill newborns
[the_ad id=”182785″]
Free festival for disabled children returns to Ripon
A family friendly festival is returning to Ripon this month.
‘This is Me’ festival seeks to provide a fun, family-friendly environment for children and young people with disabilities
Organised by Nidderdale and Morton children’s resources centres, the festival has run since 2018 and has grown in size year on year.
A number of live musical acts will be performing, including Lily Worth, Freddie Cleary, Rock Choir and Rory Hoy.
The Baked Bean Theatre Company, a drama group based around helping those with learning disabilities, will also be making an appearance.
The day will be rounded out by The Doubtful Bottle, an indie-rock outfit from York. Most members were previously a part of The Conspirators who achieved some success on the UK Indie rock charts.
Cllr Janet Sanderson, North Yorkshire Council’s executive member for children and families, said:
“This is Me was introduced following requests from our young people who wished to attend a music festival. It provides young individuals with a disability an opportunity to attend a festival, which caters to their needs by being fully inclusive and accessible.
“The fun-filled festival, with so much to see and do, sounds like a perfect day out and we look forward to seeing you there.”
Other attractions will include a silent disco, a circus space, an animal petting area, yoga sessions, and arts and crafts.
There will also be stands where information about local and national groups and support networks can be shared.
They have all given thought to the needs of people with autism. This year sees the addition of quieter area and a sensory tent to help cater for all needs.
As well as this, this year will see the introduction of a well-being camp. This will include activities such as massage, free haircuts by an autism-friendly barber, and support from The Sleep Charity.
The event will be held from noon to 6pm, on Sunday, June 25. The event is both held at and sponsored by Ripon Rugby Club.
Wristbands for the event are free but donations are welcome. They can be booked online prior to the day by emailing NCRC@northyorks.gov.uk. More information can be found on their Facebook page here.
Read more:
A proposed school for children with autism moved a small step closer to being created in Bilton yesterday (Tuesday, May 30), when North Yorkshire Council accepted a recommendation to consult on the plans.
The matter will now be thrown open for public discussion by stakeholders for a six-week period from Monday, June 12.
The school, at the site of the former Woodfield Community Primary School in Harrogate, would provide school places for children and young people with autism in North Yorkshire. A total of £3.5 million has been earmarked to upgrade the site to enable it to cater for up to 80 pupils with autism aged between 11 and 19.
The potential opening date for the new school is September 2024.
Welcoming the decision, North Yorkshire Council’s executive member for education, learning and skills, Cllr Annabel Wilkinson, said:
“I’m delighted that the council is to explore this proposal. The new facility would help meet a rising demand for special school places in Harrogate, Knaresborough, Ripon and the surrounding area.
“Currently there are 432 children with the primary need of autism accessing existing North Yorkshire special schools and we are committed to providing further support.”
She added:
“This would provide children and families with a more local offer of provision than is currently available without significant travel.”
North Yorkshire has already announced £20 million of investment in children and young people in North Yorkshire with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND), including the creation of new places in Special Schools and mainstream SEN Resource Bases.
Since 2016, the number of children and young people with identified SEND and an education, health and care plan (EHCP) has increased by over 110% in North Yorkshire. As this trend continues, it is estimated that the county will need an additional 350 SEND school places over the next three to five years.
North Yorkshire Council said the investment would enable it to find suitable placements for more young people closer to their local communities and deliver better value for children and families from the county, including improving existing provision to create “modern, fit-for-purpose spaces suited to a wider range of pupil needs”.
Woodfield Community Primary School closed at the end of December after years of falling pupil numbers and a sustained “inadequate” rating by Ofsted.
Officers believe the site is suitable for a new special school due to its layout and location in a central part of the county. There are no planned changes to the community library and children’s centre on the same site.
Read more:
- Men in Oatlands live 13 years longer than in Bilton Woodfield, says report
- New school for autistic children planned in Harrogate
- Council to explore ‘alternative educational uses’ for Woodfield school
Starbeck special needs school set to get another 45 pupils
North Yorkshire County Council has revealed plans to expand places at Springwater School in Starbeck.
The authority’s executive will discuss plans on Tuesday to create an additional 45 places at the school.
Springwater School, which is based off High Street, teaches children aged two to 19 with “profound and multiple, severe or physical difficulties”.
A report due before councillors says the move would help to provide “more local, quality in-house special school places” within the county.
As part of the plan, the council intends to spend £3.1 million from its High Needs Provision Capital Allocation, which is granted by government.
However, Gary Fielding, strategic director of resources at the council, said in a report it was “disappointing” the amount of funding allocated to the council.
He said:
“Whilst it is appreciated that the Department for Education has prioritised resources to address limited capacity in special schools nationally, it is disappointing that the level of funding allocated to NYCC is the lowest in the country (expressed in terms of £ per pupil aged 2 to 18).”
Senior councillors will make a decision on the proposal at a meeting on February 21.
Read more:
- Starbeck special needs school rated ‘good’ by Ofsted
- Children at Starbeck school plant new community garden
Starbeck special needs school rated ‘good’ by Ofsted
Springwater School in Starbeck has been rated ‘good’ in a newly published report by Ofsted.
Government inspectors visited the school, which has 97 pupils aged two to 19, in June.
Their report rates the school as ‘outstanding’ in four of the five areas assessed but the overall assessment is ‘good’.
It says leaders at the school, which has pupils with severe or profound learning difficulties, “have very high expectations of how well staff look after the pupils in their care” and that “pupils are given highly personalised support by a team of very caring staff”.
Personal development was described as exceptionally strong and arrangements for safeguarding effective.
The report adds:
“Staff ensure that pupils are fully included in all aspects of school life.
“The learning atmosphere in school is positive. Pupils, and students in the sixth form, try hard when in class. They are keen to join in and eager to learn new things.
“Pupils demonstrate how much they appreciate learning by laughing and smiling.”

Inspectors say pupils receive ‘highly personalised support’.
Sixth form ‘excellent’
Sixth form provision is described as “excellent”. The inspectors said:
“The sixth form curriculum is very well planned. It prepares students for adulthood very effectively. The curriculum includes life skills such as shopping and cooking, as well as important knowledge about how society works. Students also take courses that lead to accreditation. Students in the sixth form are incredibly positive about their experiences of school.”
Staff and leaders’ “holistic approach to managing behaviour” is described as “extremely effective”.
Headteacher Sarah Edwards said:
“The governors and I are delighted with the outcome of the two-day inspection which was rigorous and professionally challenging, as I am sure you would expect.
“I am so pleased that they captured what we as a team already identified as the strengths of the school and its pupils.”
Ms Edwards said the school had worked hard on “developing and implementing a suitable curriculum designed to meet the very diverse needs of all of our learners” since its last inspection in 2019, which raised “some concerns that standards may be declining”.
Ms Edwards thanked staff and added:
“I remain extremely proud of what Springwater delivers. There are four out of five of the judgements at an outstanding level, and the inspection team identified that ‘the quality of education has improved’.
“I am confident that the report and inspection experience captured our strengths brilliantly.
“Springwater is a brilliant place where children thrive and in turn the dedicated staff team have an enormous satisfaction in seeing children and young people flourish regardless of the special educational needs.”
Ms Edwards added there was “an extremely high demand for pupil places at this popular and over subscribed special school”, adding:
“As a result, there continue to be vacancies in support roles and the school would love to hear from any member of the community who would be willing to volunteer, to support pupils to access learning activities and community visits.”
Read more:
- Praise for Harrogate school as Ofsted rating improves
- Richard Taylor school in Bilton receives ‘good’ Ofsted rating