Council refuses to say if jobs at risk at Harrogate Convention Centre

Harrogate Borough Council has refused to say whether any jobs are at risk of redundancy as part of an ongoing staffing review at Harrogate Convention Centre.

The review began last year and is expected to conclude in April.

It is being headed by centre director Paula Lorimer who has a core team of 21 staff including managers, accounts and admin staff and events planners.

The council, which owns the venue, said in a statement that changes to the staffing structure are being considered because the reopening of the centre after covid restrictions had “highlighted a need” to review how events are delivered.

However, the council refused to say if any jobs were at risk of redundancy.

A council spokesperson said: 

“Following on from successfully redeploying two-thirds of the convention centre’s employees to assist in delivering our critical frontline services, the return to providing event operations in a post-pandemic industry has highlighted a need to review how these are delivered.

“This review is ongoing and is anticipated to be concluded in the spring.

“At this stage, there is nothing further to add.”

The staffing review is due to be discussed at a meeting of the council’s human resources committee on February 10.


Read more:


The committee previously discussed the changes behind closed doors in December, and it is likely this will happen again at next week’s meeting.

Ms Lorimer – who is one of the council’s top earners with a £104,502 salary – said in a report that the convention centre did not earn any income from events in 2021/22.

She said this was because of covid cancellations and the venue’s use as an NHS Nightingale hospital, although she added events have since made a positive return.

Ms Lorimer said: 

“Following venue reinstatement and the reopening of the events industry we have welcomed back a significant number of existing and new clients, contributing to the prosperity of the district.

“Our sales strategy continues to focus on attracting larger association conferences.

“There have been a number of events attracted to the convention centre as a result of both the sales strategy and the national publicity regarding the use of the venue as a NHS Nightingale.”

£47m refurbishment in pipeline

The staffing review comes after the council created a new destination management organisation in 2020 when Gemma Rio was appointed as its head to promote the Harrogate district as “exceptional place to visit, meet and invest”.

It also comes as the council is pushing ahead with plans for a major redevelopment of the convention centre.

This week the council’s cabinet backed the spending of £2.8 million in cash reserves to speed up the first phase of the works at the venue’s studio two.

Overall, the whole project could cost up to £47 million over three phases if approved and involve three exhibition halls being demolished to make way for a new 5,000 sq m hall and a refurbished auditorium.

A decision on the plans is expected from councillors in summer.

National Trust staff ‘bullied’ after Brimham Rocks TikTok video goes viral

The National Trust has said staff at Brimham Rocks have been subjected to bullying and harassment after a TikTok mobile DJ labelled them as “Karens” in his latest video.

DJ Zach Sabri, better known online as SUAT, claims he is “just trying to make the world dance” by blasting out rave music in unusual places.

But his latest stunt at Brimham Rocks, near Pateley Bridge, drew complaints from visitors that he was being too loud and that he was filming without permission.

National Trust staff approached the TikTok star and asked if he had permission to film there. He did not, so they asked him to leave.

He filmed the exchange with staff and included it in his TikTok video, which has now been viewed more than two million times.

In the video caption SUAT claimed: “Karen never lets me rock climb.”

‘Karen’ is used a derogatory term online to describe a woman deemed to be entitled or demanding.


Read more:


A National Trust spokesperson said:

“Visitors are very welcome to take photographs and videos of the outdoor places we care for. There’s no additional charge for personal photography.

“We do ask that anyone looking to use photographs or videos for commercial use seek permission beforehand. If approved, any associated fees are used for vital conservation work to care for places featured.

“Permission is also required before filming or photographing National Trust staff and volunteers, who have a right to privacy.

“When filming at Brimham Rocks, DJ Suat was approached by staff who wanted to act on behalf of other visitors. They had received a number of complaints on the day about the noise.

“Unfortunately, as a result of this particular video, staff and their families have since been subjected to harassment and bullying, online and in person, for which we are supporting them.”

Questions remain as closure of Ripon care home looms

Questions still surround the closure of a Ripon care home more than two months after the care group which runs the home announced the decision.

Skell Lodge, which is owned by the Maria Mallaband Care Group (MMCG), operates from a listed Victorian building on South Crescent.

MMCG told the Stray Ferret in October that the building would “shortly no longer meet appropriate building regulations” so it would need to move residents out before the end of the year.

The Stray Ferret has asked MMCG a number of times what the problem with the building is and whether it would it possible to remedy the problem. We did not receive an answer.

A spokesperson for the care group has, however, since said:

“We can confirm that all residents have found alternative accommodation.

“We have worked hard with the team at Skell Lodge, and our partners locally to ensure residents and their families have been supported and have received the help needed during this difficult period of adjustment.

“It is expected that all residents will be settled into their new homes in time for Christmas.”


Read more:


We have spoken to two staff members and the family of a former resident. They all raised concerns about how staff and residents have been treated. They also said they were not aware of any problems with the building.

A spokesperson from the CQC said:

“We are aware that the provider Skell Lodge in Ripon has taken the decision to close the service at the end of this year.

“We are monitoring the situation closely and liaising with North Yorkshire County Council to ensure that people are moved safely to alternative services that are appropriate to their needs.”

A spokesperson for North Yorkshire County Council said:

“The future of the residents and the staff is our paramount concern.

“We continue to work with the care provider and the CQC and with residents and their families to try to ensure the smoothest possible transition for people.”

Harrogate cafe closes due to temporary staff shortages

A cafe in Harrogate has been forced to close its doors temporarily due a shortage of staff.

Staff at Caffé Nero, on the corner of Cambridge Street and Station Parade, posted a notice in the door this morning to explain why it would not be opening.

This closure highlights the ongoing recruitment crisis in the hospitality sector, which has forced many restaurants and cafes to reduce services.

The Stray Ferret asked the head office of Caffé Nero when the site would reopen. A spokesperson said it would be open “as soon as possible.”


Read more:


Meanwhile the notice in the door points customers to the second Caffé Nero site in town, which is a short walk away on Cambridge Crescent.

A spokesperson for Caffé Nero said:

“The store you’re referring to is only temporarily closed due to staff availability and will reopen as soon as possible.

“The larger store two minutes away at Cambridge Crescent is open as usual and trading normally.”

Harrogate hospital invests £110,000 in staff and dementia care

Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust has been awarded £110,000 to fund better dementia care support, improved outdoor spaces and wellbeing projects.

NHS Charities Together, the national charity raising funds for hospitals, awarded the sum to the trust.

The trust used some of the money to buy new DVD players and tables for dementia patients at Harrogate District Hospital for entertainment and to help them stay in touch with family, especially when the hospital has to limit visits.

Hospital patients and visitors will also notice that some outdoor spaces have been transformed with physical and mental wellbeing in mind.

The new look includes fresh seating, garden pods, planting, wind chimes and even an outdoor barista. The spaces can be used as an escape for both staff and patients.

Funds have also been used by the hospital on microwaves, coffee and tea making facilities for staff.


Read more:


Matron Tammy Gotts said:

“It is important our patients never feel lonely and the tablets will help improve how they can communication with their friends and family.

“It also means that our patients would still be able to communicate with their loved ones should we ever face another lockdown.

“Having access to more entertainment options will also improve the hospital experience for patients. The outdoor spaces also provide the opportunity for patients to spend more time outside the wards in a pleasant environment.”

Sammy Lambert, business development, charity and volunteer manager, said:

“The funding we have been awarded is helping us to further improve the high level of care we are able to provide.

“Whilst it is wonderful that the funding will be of benefit for patients suffering from dementia, we are also pleased that it will have a positive impact on the wellbeing of our NHS colleagues who have worked tirelessly over the pandemic.

“Their wellbeing is vitally important and simple changes, such as developing outside spaces where they can relax for a moment, will ensure they feel well, healthy and happy at work.”

Harrogate council to review staff payouts after spending more than £600,000

Harrogate Borough Council will review how it agrees staff payout packages which have cost taxpayers around £632,000 over the past two years.

That is according to a report from independent auditors Mazars. The company has recommended a rethink on how payments including redundancy cash and compensation for loss of office are agreed for departing members of staff.

It comes after figures published in the council’s annual statement of accounts showed £354,000 was paid out to 19 former employees in 2019/2020 – an increase from the previous financial year when £278,000 was agreed for 15 staff.

Mazars has warned the current process, which sees payments signed off by a monitoring officer, risks a lack of balance between “inappropriate expenditure” and “allowing ineffective employment relationships to continue”.

The report said any staff payout packages should require a final approval from elected councillors before they are made:

“We encourage members to consider updating their risk management arrangements for employee settlement agreements to ensure that, for each case, members also approve payments after satisfying themselves that there is a clear rationale and payments comply with legislation, costs are minimised and available options have been considered.”


Read more:


In response, the council said in the report that it would carry out a review even though the current process already ensured there is a “clear rationale” for the payments which are “properly authorised”:

“Although the number of such cases has been small, and flexibility is sometimes needed to deal with them in a timely manner, the council will review its processes in order to ensure member involvement in future decisions.”

The statement of accounts shows one member of staff received a £62,000 exit package in 2019/2020, although it is not known what job title they had or how much they were earning before they left their role.

The only member of staff who was named in the document was former director of community Paul Campbell who left suddenly last year and was paid £55,065 in compensation for loss of office.

Mr Campbell had an annual salary of £89,727 and oversaw a range of council services including emergency planning, housing, parks, waste and health and safety.

He has not been replaced since leaving 13 months ago and his responsibilities are being shared by other directors, the council previously said.

Nearby in York, the city council has been forced on the defensive after a report from Mazars said a £117,000 redundancy settlement to ex-chief executive Mary Weastell was paid unnecessarily.

The report suggests the authority wanted to avoid defending a tribunal claim which Ms Weastell dropped after the payout was agreed.

Mazars said the council paid out £24,884 in redundancy and a £65,779 ex-gratia payment, effectively a gift, neither of which were required.

The city council has defended the payments saying they were contractual obligations.

In numbers: Harrogate Borough Council

Exit packages agreed for departing staff between April 2019 and March 2020 – 19 (at a cost of £354,000)

Exit packages agreed for departing staff between April 2018 and March 2019 – 15 (at a cost of £278,000)

Number of exit packages totalling less than £20,000 – 20

Average cost of exit package for single employee in 2019/20 – £18,632

Average cost of exit package for single employee in 2018/19 – £18,533

These figures include compulsory and voluntary redundancy costs, associated pension costs and payments in lieu of notice.

In a statement, a council spokesperson said:

“The council’s constitution currently provides for delegated approval by the monitoring officer for settlement agreements.

“Although the number of cases are relatively small, we will review the process in line with the audit recommendation.”

Claims Harrogate McColl’s worker with covid symptoms was told to work

A Harrogate McColl’s store has been forced to close after the manager allegedly told a staff member who had coronavirus symptoms to work.

Peter Lythe booked a coronavirus test after experiencing symptoms and claims he told his boss at the King Edward’s Drive store on Saturday ahead of a shift.

In text messages, seen by the Stray Ferret, Mr Lythe said told his manager that he “might have to isolate from today [until] my tests comes back.”

The manager replied: “You don’t unless you’ve had a text message.”

After being unable to find cover for his Saturday or Sunday shifts Mr Lythe reluctantly went into work.


Read more:


On Sunday evening at around 7pm, Mr Lythe received a positive coronavirus test result which told him to self-isolate for 10 days.

The next day the McColl’s store closed and put a sign in the window to say that it would re-open as soon as possible.

We approached North Yorkshire Police, Harrogate Borough Council and McColl’s with a request for comment.

The police and council decline to comment but a spokesperson for McColl’s told the Stray Ferret:

“We can confirm that our store on King Edward’s Drive, Harrogate, has been closed since Monday after a colleague tested positive for coronavirus.

“Following the store’s closure, we conducted a deep clean in line with the latest health and safety standards, and all colleagues are following isolation guidelines.”

“The health, safety and wellbeing of our colleagues and customers remains our absolute priority during his time.

“We continue to proactively follow Public Health England guidelines and keep our protocols under constant review.”

The McColl’s store is due to reopen on today after a deep clean.

Harrogate hospital brings back parking charges

Harrogate District Hospital will reintroduce parking charges for staff, patients and visitors from next week.

Parking has been free at the hospital since the first few weeks of the coronavirus lockdown but charges will apply again next Wednesday.

The government has covered the loss of income for trusts.

The hospital said it has been receiving complaints from patients and visitors struggling to find spaces.


Read more:


Staff will not be able to park at the top level of the main car park from next week, reverting back to the arrangements before the pandemic.

A spokesperson for Harrogate District Hospital said:

“We know that this will be unwelcome but we trust you understand the reasons why we are reintroducing parking charges. Parking at hospitals will always be a challenge and there is never going to be one solution that everyone is happy with.”

All on-site staff car parks will be available with a permit at the usual monthly rate.

The GMB Union, which has long campaigned for free parking at hospitals, previously said it would be a disgrace to charge hospital staff to park.

Rachel Harrison, GMB national officer, said:

“Our investigation found trusts were charging hard-up NHS staff up to £1,300 a year to park where they work. We persuaded the government to scrap parking charges for all health and social care staff. Now ministers are showing their true colours.”

Staff return to work elsewhere as NHS Nightingale hospital stands ready for first patients

The first patient has yet to be admitted to the NHS Nightingale hospital in Harrogate, as staff trained on site have returned to their usual workplaces or been redeployed in support roles in local NHS trusts.

Following the official opening at the Harrogate Convention Centre facility on Tuesday, the temporary facility remains on stand-by in case existing hospital beds are filled and more capacity is required.

The NHS Nightingale Yorkshire and the Humber is one of seven of its kind around the country, created in addition to 33,000 beds being freed up in existing hospitals, according to NHS England. Its 500 beds will only be used in the event of a surge in demand.

Following the three-week construction beginning in late March, staff began arriving on site on April 15 before the official opening took place on April 21.

An RAF Chinook landed on Harrogate's Stray on Thursday, bringing NHS officials to visit the Nightingale hospital

The RAF Chinook brought senior NHS staff to visit Harrogate’s Nightingale hospital

On Thursday this week, senior NHS staff visited the Nightingale hospital in Harrogate after arriving on the Stray in a Chinook helicopter.

Now, both medical and support staff are working elsewhere until they are called back should the Nightingale hospital need to be opened to patients.

An NHS Nightingale Yorkshire and Humber spokesperson said:

“Staff training has been taking place so that we are ready to receive patients whenever the need arises. Until that time, and as was always planned to be the case, staff will remain with their current employers. For some non-clinical colleagues this will be through supporting local NHS trusts as part of our on-going work against Covid-19.”