Body found in search for missing Sophie Lambert

Police searching for missing Harrogate woman Sophie Lambert have found a body.

It was found in the River Nidd near Nidd Gorge this morning.

A North Yorkshire Police statement said:

“It is too early to confirm the identity, but Sophie’s family have been informed and are receiving specialist support. We ask that their privacy is respected.

“We thank everyone who has supported the missing person appeal over the last few days.

“A further update will be issued in due course.”

Sophie, 22, was last seen leaving home in Starbeck on the evening of Friday, June 16.

Her family alerted police later that evening and extensive searches were carried out.


Read more:


 

New kitchen team celebrates top rating for Harrogate nursing home

A nursing home on the outskirts of Harrogate has achieved the top food hygiene rating after a major refurbishment of its kitchen.

Bilton Hall Nursing Home on Bilton Hall Drive was given a rating of just one out of five after an inspection in March, but has now achieved the top rating of five after a revisit.

Tracey Turner, interim manager at the home, owned by We Care Group, said the improved rating was down to the hard work of the kitchen staff.

She told the Stray Ferret:

“I’ve been here for four weeks. I came in as a new manager, had a look around and decided the kitchen should be a priority. In the last three weeks, we’ve turned it around.

“The company have invested in new flooring and new equipment. That kitchen team really, really worked and it has paid off. It’s so much better.”

The original low-scoring report found “poor levels of cleanliness” and said there was a lack of food safety systems and monitoring.

Both the inspector and the home’s former manager said some of the problems were linked to the use of agency workers, after it had struggled to recruit permanent staff for the kitchen.

The entrance to Bilton Hall Nursing Home

Ms Turner said those problems had now been resolved and the restoration of the full five-star rating was a reflection of the effectiveness of their work.

A new permanent manager is set to take up the post in the next few weeks, she added.

Meanwhile, other areas of the historic building are also being refurbished, she said, to ensure it offers the best possible living accommodation to its 52 residents.

The latest food hygiene inspection and rating had been celebrated by staff and residents alike, Ms Turner said.

She added:

“[A poor rating] quickly gives the place a bad reputation, which it doesn’t really deserve.

“It just goes to show in a couple of weeks how, as a team, you can pull it together. That’s what care is about. It’s wonderful.”


Read more:


 

Search for missing Sophie Lambert finds her mobile phone

A mobile phone, bank card and a top belonging to missing Sophie Lambert have been found, police said today.

The possessions were discovered by a member of the public on Saturday morning near the river at Nidd Gorge, which is the focus of the search for the 22-year-old from Starbeck.

North Yorkshire Police revealed the news at a media call today, at which they said a 30-strong search party consisting of police, mountain and underwater rescues had been combing the 500-metres area around where the items were found in Bilton.

Sophie Lambert

They added helicopters and dogs had also been employed in the operation.

Inspector Graham Waller, the critical incident inspector based at Harrogate, said there had been “no positive sightings” of Sophie in the 72 hours since she disappeared.

Insp Graham Waller pictured at the police search scene today.

He added the search would widen and continue “as long as necessary” during daylight hours if Sophie is not found. He said:

“We are very concerned for Sophie’s welfare.

“It’s totally out of character for her to be away from home for this long.

“At the moment we don’t have any suggestion she has come to harm but we are keeping an open mind.”

Asked what people could do to help, and whether they should take part in search parties, Insp Waller urged people to “remain vigilant” and contact the police if they had any information but said he would “discourage” members of the public taking part in search parties because of the “difficult terrain” in Nidd Gorge.

In today’s update, police said Sophie was last seen at home by her family at 6.50pm on Friday night and then captured shortly afterwards on CCTV camera at 7.06pm.

She was wearing dark trousers, a black top with a white adidas logo and dark shoes with a white sole. She had her hair tied back and was carrying a bottle with a pink lid.


Read more:


 

CCTV footage released in search for missing Sophie

North Yorkshire Police has released CCTV footage in the search for missing Harrogate woman Sophie Lambert, 22.

Sophie was reported missing from her home in Starbeck at 10.10pm on Friday having last been seen by her family at 7.20pm before she left the house.

CCTV footage taken on the night she disappeared shows she was wearing dark trousers, a black top with a white adidas logo and dark shoes with a white sole. She had her hair tied back and was carrying a bottle with a pink lid.

Concerns are growing for Sophie Lambert.

A police statement said:

“Concerns are growing for her welfare and North Yorkshire Police are currently making extensive house-to-house enquiries to help find her.

“Police searches have continued today in the Nidd Gorge area with assistance from search and rescue.”

Sophie is described as white, 5ft 3in with a slim build

She has a distinctive scar on her forehead which is likely to be noticeable.

The police statement added:

“If you have seen a woman matching Sophie’s description or photograph, please call North Yorkshire Police immediately on 999, quoting reference 12230110845.”


Read more:


 

New photo of missing Sophie as concerns grow for Harrogate woman

North Yorkshire Police has today issued a fresh photo of missing Harrogate woman Sophie Lambert, as concerns for her welfare grow.

Sophie, 22, was reported missing from her home in Starbeck at 10.10pm on Friday. She was last seen by her family at 7.20pm before she left the house.

Police issued an urgent appeal for help yesterday by asking anyone with information or possible sightings to get in touch. They said a search and rescue team was taking part in an extensive operation to find her in the Nidd Gorge area.

Police said today concerns were growing for Sophie’s welfare and issued a more recent photo and updated description.

Sophie Lambert

A statement said:

“Sophie is described as white, 5ft 3in, aged in her early 20s, slim build, with long dark brown hair that is possibly plaited or wavy.

“She has a distinctive scar on her forehead which is likely to be noticeable.

“It is unknown what clothing she has on, but her family said she tends to wear jogging bottoms and has dark green Adidas trainers with a white sole.

“If you have seen a woman matching Sophie’s description or photograph, please call North Yorkshire Police immediately on 999 quoting reference 12230110845.”


Read more:


 

Police issue urgent appeal to find missing Harrogate woman

North Yorkshire Police has issued an urgent appealing for help finding a missing woman from Harrogate.

Sophie Rebecca Lambert, 22, was reported missing from her home in Starbeck at 10.10pm last night.

Sophie was last seen by her family at 7.20pm before she left the house.

A police statement this afternoon said:

“Concerns are growing for her welfare and extensive police searches are currently taking place in the Nidd Gorge area with assistance from search and rescue.”

Sophie went missing last night.

Sophie is described as white, aged in her early 20s, with long dark brown hair that is possibly plaited or wavy.

She has a distinctive scar on her forehead which is likely to be noticeable.

It is unknown what clothing she has on, but her family said she tends to wear jogging bottoms.

Police urged anyone who has seen a woman matching Sophie’s description or photograph to call North Yorkshire Police immediately on 999 quoting reference 12230110845.


Read more:


 

Starbeck stages its community day

Starbeck Community Day took place today to raise money for the annual Christmas lights appeal.

The free event, at Harrogate Railway AFC on Station View, included a range of stalls as well as a drinks bar.

There were also donkey rides and live performances from groups including Starbeck Dancing for Wellbeing.

The day also saw the crowning of the annual Starbeck community king and queen. The honours went to Ted Carman, 9, and Celeste Reid, 9.

(from left) Last year’s queen Kya-Mae Goodwin, 11 new queen Celeste Reid and new king Ted Carman.

It is one of four events held each year to raise funds for Starbeck Christmas Lights Appeal.

There is also an Easter fun day, a craft fair and nearly new sale and a Christmas fayre.

Organiser Chrissie Holmes said:

“We have to raise £8,000 a year to keep the lights going. They really brighten up Starbeck and the children love to see them walking to and from school on dark nights.”

Visitors could learn about the plans for Knaresborough Forest Park.


Read more:


 

Burglars jailed for stealing £6,000 worth of goods from Starbeck Co-op

Two prolific burglars have been jailed for stealing over £6,000 of tobacco from a Co-op store in Starbeck.

Brazen duo John Barnes, 34, and Ryan Mulvaney, 48, hauled a duvet down the street to help them break into the shop on the High Street.

They forced their way in by smashing rear fire doors and reportedly used the duvet to avoid treading on broken glass, York Crown Court heard.

They then bagged £6,220 of cigarettes and tobacco and £627 cash, carrying the loot in two large boxes but leaving the duvet behind.

Prosecutor Lydia Pearce said police were alerted to the store’s burglar alarm going off at about 4.30am on May 23.

They retrieved CCTV from the area around the shop which showed two men walking towards the store with a duvet about five minutes before the break-in.

The same two men are then seen leaving the store carrying two large boxes and returning to a nearby flat. 

The video footage then shows them leaving the flat with an unnamed woman and getting into a taxi which took them to Tewit Well Road.

At 9am on the same day, police were alerted to “suspicious activity” in Victoria Avenue by a member of the public who heard “somebody talking about getting rid of some gear”.


Read more:


A police constable stopped Mulvaney and Barnes, who gave a false name but was identified by his fingerprints. Both men were identified on CCTV.

During a subsequent search, officers seized the cigarette boxes and other items such as scratch cards stolen in the burglary. 

They also found a man bag at a flat in Spa Lane which Mulvaney had been wearing at the time of the raid. He was also found in possession of heroin and police seized cannabis from Barnes. 

Officers also seized £627 cash from the property, said Ms Pearce.

Both men were arrested and charged with burglary which they admitted. Mulvaney also admitted possessing heroin and Barnes admitted possessing cannabis and obstructing a police officer by giving a false name.

111 previous offences

The two career criminals appeared for sentence today after being remanded in custody.

Barnes, from Harrogate but of no fixed address, had 33 previous convictions for 64 offences including 25 thefts. He was most recently convicted of two burglaries in March 2022 for which he received a five-month prison sentence.

Mulvaney, also from Harrogate but of no fixed abode, had a criminal record comprising 111 previous offences including 55 thefts. His most recent burglary conviction was in October 2020 when he was jailed for three years and four months.

In that incident, Mulvaney broke into the Harrogate home of a poorly man who was resting in bed. He climbed through an open window at the house in Stonefall Avenue and stole an envelope containing £1,000 from the living room.

Mulvaney was still on prison licence for that offence when he burgled the Co-op which resulted in him being recalled to jail.

Defence barrister David Ward, for Barnes, said his client was a homeless crack-cocaine and cannabis addict and spent his time “just wandering, aimless”.

Kevin Blount, for Mulvaney, said his client had been recalled to prison until February next year and knew he would be given further jail time for the Co-op burglary.

Recorder Ian Mullarkey said it was clear that the duvet had been used to “facilitate” the break-in, probably to protect the burglars from broken glass. 

He said that both men had “extensive records” and there was “significant loss” to the Co-op.

Mulvaney and Barnes were each jailed for eight months.

Meat-pie eating contest to be held at Starbeck Community Day

An annual community event is returning this weekend to raise money for the Starbeck Christmas Lights Appeal.

Starbeck Community Day will include a range of stalls and rides, as well as a drinks bar and live entertainment throughout the day.

Visitors can also enjoy donkey rides, an obstacle course and live performances from Starbeck Dancing for Wellbeing and the Summerbell Dance Academy.

Competitions will be held throughout the day to boost the fundraising efforts, including a meat pie-eating contest for adults and a jelly-eating competition for children.

The 2023/24 Starbeck community king and queen will also be crowned on the day.

Christine Holmes, group leader of the Starbeck Christmas Lights Appeal, told the Stray Ferret:

“We’re raising funds for the Starbeck Christmas lights, it’s to pay for the maintenance or any replacements we need.

“We took it over about nine years ago to keep the tradition going, with prices rising all the time we’re constantly raising funds. We were quite a lot down on donations last year.

“We really need to boost the funds quite a bit. It is a community day and it’s there for everybody to enjoy.”

Last year, the community day raised around £700 as part of the £8,000 required to fund the Christmas lights. The 2023 event hopes to beat that figure.

The event will take place from noon to 4pm at Harrogate Railway AFC on Station View. Entry is free.

A Disney-themed parade from Starbeck Methodist Church to Harrogate Railway AFC will begin the event


Read more:

Starbeck Baths to reopen today

Starbeck Baths is to reopen today — five weeks after it closed due to an “unforeseen mechanical failure”.

In a Facebook post yesterday, the swimming pool said it would welcome customers from 7.30am.

It added:

“The work to complete the replacement of the filter and the subsequent safety checks have been completed and earlier today, we received the results from the tests, giving us the green light to open.”

The pool is run by the North Yorkshire Council-controlled Brimhams Active, which manages leisure facilities in the Harrogate district.

It had previously indicated it would be closed until late May.

Besides swimming sessions, it provides swimming lessons and caters for children’s parties.


Read more: