Starbeck groups call truce and promise to work ‘positively together’

Two rival community groups in Starbeck have called a truce and are promising to work together.

Starbeck Residents Association, chaired by Chris Watt, was formed in the 1990s and awards grants and campaigns to safeguard local facilities in Starbeck.

Starbeck Community Group was launched by Starbeck Post Office owner Andrew Hart in 2020 and has been involved in several local campaigns including painting a giant Ukraine flag on the former McColl’s supermarket building.

But the group’s two leaders have history — there was public acrimony when Mr Watt was appointed chair last year at the residents association’s annual general meeting.

In May this year, Mr Hart then said it was “an insult to the community” that Labour Party member Mr Watt was standing for a political party in local elections and called on him to step down from his role as chair.

There have also been unpleasant comments on social media.


Read more:


Mr Watt, alongside SRA secretary Geoff Foxhall, met Mr Hart and SCG member Lucky Hubbard over the weekend and they agreed to put their differences aside and work together.

Mr Watt and Mr Hart issued a joint statement that said “public attacks and criticism of other local groups only create division and foster a negative impression of Starbeck”.

The statement said:

“Starbeck is a wonderful area, where we are proud to live and work. The Starbeck Residents’ Association and Starbeck Community Group have been working hard, in our respective ways, to support the area. We complement the many other groups and organisations who put so much into Starbeck and we are proud to support them as well.

“For the good of our area, it is important that we work together. Public attacks and criticism of other local groups only create division and foster a negative impression of Starbeck among people who live here and are considering moving to or investing in our area. It also discourages people from contributing their time and energy into local groups and organisations.

“For the good of Starbeck, we are promising to work constructively and positively together.”

Ripon man jailed for arranging to meet underage girls for sex

A Ripon man has been jailed for arranging to meet underage girls for sex and carrying a knife.

Mark David, 32, was sentenced at York Crown Court yesterday after pleading guilty to both offences.

David admitted carrying a lock knife in High Street, Starbeck, on December 15, 2019, which was the same day he had arranged to meet a 14-year-old girl for sexual purposes.

Prior to his guilty plea to the knife offence, David had already admitted two counts of attempted sexual communication with two girls under 16 years of age.

Those offences occurred in Harrogate between November 25 and December 16, 2019. The communication was via Whatsapp and Facebook Messenger.

David, of North Street, Ripon, also admitted the offence of arranging to meet an under-age girl for sex in Harrogate.

He was sentenced to 43 months in prison, placed on the sex offenders’ register and made subject to a sexual harm prevention order. He was also ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £181.


Read more:


 

Starbeck KFC withdraws expansion plan

KFC has withdrawn plans to expand its premises in Starbeck.

Under proposals submitted to Harrogate Borough Council, the fast-food chain planned to take over and convert the former Age UK shop next door to create more space for seating.

An area for 14 seats would have been created and a new disabled and unisex toilet installed.

The conversion of the unit would also have seen a new main entrance built.

While the current KFC is mainly used as a takeaway, the fast-food chain said the plan would help it function as a restaurant.

Pegasus Group, which submitted the plans on behalf of KFC to the council, said in planning documents:

“The proposal seeks to utilise it as a seating area directly associated with the existing KFC premises next door. The existing KFC is a Sui Generis takeaway use.

“The proposal will allow for a seating area to be introduced meaning that the existing KFC could operate more as a restaurant.”


Read more:


Now, the fast-food chain has withdrawn the plan. No reason has been given in planning documents for the decision.

In a letter to the council, local resident Peter Walker said the High Street already had enough takeaways.

He said:

“Starbeck High Street has more than enough takeaways at this time. Expanding the current provision detracts further from the character of the area, increases the risks due to vermin and drives away other businesses who would suffer further from queues of delivery drivers. 

“We already have rubbish dumped in the area by customers of this business. The number of occasions I have had to clear away half eaten chicken from this shop is growing. 

“The waste attracts rats and we are seeing more of those in the area this summer. Chicken bones are a health risk to dogs and I have to exercise vigilance just to take my dog for a walk.”

The Stray Ferret has approached KFC for comment, but has not received a response by the time of publication.

Harrogate man charged with strangling and ABH

A Harrogate man has appeared in court charged with intentionally strangling a woman and causing her actual bodily harm.

Gavin McClure, 53, of Avenue Grove, Starbeck, is alleged to have assaulted the female on Saturday night.

He was also charged with threatening to kill the woman, who was named in court.

Mr McClure appeared at York Magistrates Court on Monday, when the case was adjourned for trial by jury at York Crown Court on August 30.

Mr McClure, who did not enter a plea to the charges, was denied bail and remanded in custody.

He did, however, plead guilty to a further charge of possession of cannabis at Harrogate police station on Sunday.


Read more:


 

Starbeck KFC submits plans to expand

KFC in Starbeck has tabled plans to expand its premises to offer more seating.

Under proposals submitted to Harrogate Borough Council, the fast-food chain would take over and convert the former Age UK shop next door to create more space for seating.

An area for 14 seats would be created and a new disabled and unisex toilet installed.

The conversion of the unit would also see a new main entrance built.

The current KFC is mainly used as a takeaway.

In documents submitted to the council, development consultants Pegasus Group, which has lodged the plan on behalf of KFC, said the proposal would mean the takeaway could operate as a restaurant.

It said:

“The proposal seeks to utilise it as a seating area directly associated with the existing KFC premises next door. The existing KFC is a Sui Generis takeaway use.

“The proposal will allow for a seating area to be introduced meaning that the existing KFC could operate more as a restaurant.”


Read more:


The proposal becomes the latest fast-food plan for Starbeck High Street.

A proposal to convert a former laundrette in the area was submitted to the council earlier this month.

The premises at 47 High Street had been a launderette since the 1980s before being used as an off licence and a clothes shop in recent years.

A new application by owner Mark Leicester could see it changed to a takeaway.

Do you recognise any of these Harrogate cricketers from 1922?

A newly discovered photo of a Harrogate cricket team from 100 years ago has sparked a quest to identify the players.

Eric Wainwright was clearing out his late elder brother’s house in Starbeck when he found a picture of the first ever winners of the Addison Cup.

The Addison Cup, which is contested by the top 16 teams in the Harrogate and District Amateur Evening Cricket League, is one of the oldest cricket competitions in the world, dating back to 1922.

The 100th final will be contested between Knaresborough and Burnt Yates at 6.15pm on Monday night at Follifoot Cricket Club.

The inaugural winners, seen here displaying the trophy, were a Harrogate team known as The Gas Company.

Mr Wainwright’s father William is the tall man in the middle of the back row.


Read more:


Keen to find out the names of the others players, Mr Wainwright contacted Peter Horsman, secretary and treasurer of the league, for help.

Mr Horsman has now asked if Stray Ferret readers can identify any of the men.

He added:

“Eric and myself would be very interested in hearing from anybody who has any old memorabilia associated with the Harrogate evening league and the associated cup competitions.

“Pictures, league handbooks before 1980, individual winner’s medal etc.”

Who will succeed Harrogate?

The winners of the cup on Monday night will be presented the trophy by the grandchildren of Harry Addison, who donated the trophy in 1922.

Harrogate Cricket Club wins Addison Cup 2021

Harrogate Cricket Club, after winning last year’s Addison Cup.

Mr Horsman has invited Mr Wainwright, who lives in York, to the final to present the runners-up trophy.

Harrogate Cricket Club beat Wetherby Carr Manor by 32 runs in last year’s final.

Burnt Yates defeated Harrogate in the quarter-finals this year.

If you have information about the photo you can call Mr Horsman on 07798 582792 or email him at peter_horsman@hotmail.co.uk.

Pop-up veg stall proves a hit on Starbeck High Street

A greengrocer who set up a pop-up stall in Starbeck says it has proved a hit with locals – and boosted other nearby shops too.

George Churchill has been running George’s Greens outside the Prince of Wales pub every Friday for the last month.

Enthusiasm from local residents has been huge, he said, and is giving his business a new direction.

“It’s really busy. Because we’re only there once a week, I quite like the excitement of the one day. People know if they don’t get to us then, we’re not back for a week.”

Not only do customers appreciate being able to get fruit and vegetables fresh from the market that morning, but they are also spending more time shopping nearby, he said.

Other local businesses have reportedly had busier days on Fridays than before, he said, helping to boost their fortunes too.


Read more:


The idea for the stall came from George’s supplier, Jak Lister, who told him there was a gap in the market for a fruit and veg retailer in Starbeck.

“Jak grew up around there. He said it was busy and there’s a lot of takeaways but they don’t open until later so it’s quiet during the day.

“It was down to the people in Starbeck who said I should speak to Alison who runs the pub. It’s down to her that I’m there.”

George, 26, entered the trade as a shop assistant in York when he was just 14. Just before he turned 21, the opportunity came up to buy the shop and he grabbed it with both hands – while his friends were spending their wages buying their first cars.

Since then, he has established stalls in some villages near York, but said he was nervous about travelling to Starbeck, with the cost of fuel impacting on any money he might earn and a 2am start needed to get to the market.

However, the success of the last few weeks has been beyond his expectations, with customer numbers rising week on week.

Now, George hopes the business will expand as he builds on the new model of pop-up stalls at new locations around the area.

“For us, it proves the model works, so we can push it to more pubs in different areas.

“I feel like it’s a way forward. You aren’t committed to a long-term rent on a shop – if you try somewhere and it doesn’t work, you move on.”

George’s Greens is outside the Prince of Wales pub on Starbeck High Street every Friday from 9am to 4pm.

Takeaway plan for former launderette on Starbeck High Street

A new takeaway could open on Starbeck High Street if planning permission is granted to convert a former launderette.

The premises at 47 High Street had been a launderette since the 1980s before being used as an off licence and a clothes shop in recent years.

A new application by owner Mark Leicester could see it changed to a takeaway.

Planning documents submitted to Harrogate Borough Council said:

“The applicant, Mr M Leicester is the owner of numbers 41 to 47 High Street, Starbeck. These properties are retail units with residential accommodation above.

“The only changes to the property resulting from the proposal are internal and in themselves do not require planning permission. It is simply the changing of the use of the floorspace that is proposed.”

The application has had a mixed reception from Starbeck Residents’ Association. The group said local residents do not want empty premises, but they are also keen to have a more diverse range of shops.

A spokesperson said:

“In particular, it would be great to see a greengrocer selling fresh fruit and vegetables.

“We recognise however, that we cannot change the planning system, nor force particular businesses to move to our area. That’s why we consistently promote the fact that Starbeck is a wonderful area and a great place to do business.

“The Starbeck Residents’ Association is also working to see what else we can do to encourage a wider range of businesses to our area.”


Read more:


In early 2018, the shop began to be used as an off licence. Four members of the public objected to a retrospective application for the change of use as well as the retention of roller shutters and shop frontage.

The council’s planning officer found the roller shutters were out of keeping with the conservation area and were visually intrusive, and the application was declined.

A request to retain two illuminated signs outside the premises was also refused.

Gang of girls admits causing actual bodily harm in Harrogate

Four teenage girls have pleaded guilty to causing actual bodily harm to a female in Harrogate.

The girls, who cannot be named for legal reasons, are between 14 and 17 years old.

They admitted jointly assaulting the victim on August 15 last year in Belmont Park, Starbeck.

Three of the girls are from Harrogate; another is from Blackpool.

They pleaded guilty when the cases were heard at North Yorkshire Youth Court, sitting in Harrogate, on Friday.

The girls were ordered to £200 compensation each and referred to youth offender panels for 12 months.


Read more:


 

Starbeck cafe tackling the cost of living crisis

A cafe in Starbeck has become a hub for the local community, which is rallying together in the face of the cost of living crisis.

The Living Room Café is run by Sarah Khanye and inside the Life Destiny Church at 93b High Street.

The family-friendly space opens from Tuesday to Friday from 9am until 3pm and hosts a variety of events that aim to bring the community together with homemade food, drinks and treats available.

Ms Khanye, 31, has worked in catering all her life. When the Stray Ferret visited yesterday, she looked at home with a spoon in a bowl as she made a cake.

She set up the cafe over two years ago, before covid and before the cost of living crisis.

Both have unquestionably increased stress, isolation and anxiety for people living in Starbeck.

The cafe aims to be not just a place to fill up your belly, but also somewhere where local families and friends can get together in a welcoming space.

Ms Khayne said:

“One cup of tea can last all day. The cafe helps people feel safe, combats loneliness and improves mental health.”

Affordability

The cafe is volunteer-run, with prices kept affordable.

It also includes a pantry and community fridge that includes donated food from places like the Co-op, which people are able to pay for with whatever they can afford.

The cafe also hosts events including community running clubs, craft and coffee mornings and get-togethers for mums, among other activities.


Read more:


Cost of living

Starbeck is one of the least affluent areas in the Harrogate district with many residents more vulnerable to increasing prices.

Life Destiny Church also runs a food bank, which has seen demand increase sharply.

Ms Khanye says in the last two months alone, the number of people coming to the food bank has gone up by a “massive, massive” amount as the cost of living crisis continues to bite.

She said:

“People in Starbeck are worried about the cost of living. A lot of people have limited income so numbers are growing.”

But with difficult times ahead, Ms Khanye believes Starbeck will stick together through choppy waters.

She added:

“I just like to see people enjoy the community where they live.

“Seeing families being able to support each other is massive. It would be a sad thing not to work here!”

Some of the events the cafe puts on.