Calls for action on ‘eyesore’ Starbeck building

A Starbeck business owner has called for urgent action on a derelict high street building that he says is damaging the image of the area.

A fire ripped through the former McColl’s supermarket in July 2018, but almost three years later, the Victorian-era building is still a burned-out shell with much of its roof missing.

Andrew Hart is the owner of Starbeck’s Post Office which stands opposite the building. He said he has grown frustrated with progress to refurbish it and said it’s holding the wider area back from redevelopment.

He said:

“Anyone driving to Knaresborough or visiting Starbeck are looking at this great eyesore. It’s a shambles.”

“We are being rejuvenated in Starbeck with new shops and bars opening but this is putting off investment.”

Mr Hart said the building reminds him of a World War II bomb site and has become “the disgrace of Starbeck”.

He added:

“We have customers coming to the post office who say the building looks disgusting. It’s having a detrimental impact on my business.”


Read more:


Mr Hart called on Liberal Democrat councillor for Starbeck, Philip Broadbank, to push the landlord of the building to submit redevelopment plans.

Cllr Broadbank told the Stray Ferret that pre-application talks between the landlord and Harrogate Borough Council took place last week.

He said architect drawings involve creating new retail space on the ground floor and flats above it.

He said:

“I’ve been in discussions with planning enforcement at Harrogate Borough Council if the plans don’t progress. This would involve tidying the site up so it looks better.”

Cllr Broadbank expects a formal planning application to be submitted by the landlord imminently.

New Starbeck bar and cafe granted planning permission

The Waiting Room, a new craft beer bar and cafe/restaurant run by the owners of So Bar and Eats will open this summer on Starbeck High Street.

Harrogate Borough Council granted local pub company Appetite for Life planning permission earlier this week.

The building at 34 High Street was previously occupied by Greenalls and Your Factory Bed Shop, but has been empty for some time. The name of the bar ties into its location near Starbeck railway station.

The company already runs a number of bars in the Harrogate district including the So Bars in Harrogate, Knaresborough and Ripon, The Hart pub in Knaresborough, and the Tap on Tower Street in Harrogate.

Appetite for Life owner Rob Thompson told the Stray Ferret he hopes to get the venue up and running in about three months.

He added:

“As a local family-run Harrogate company, we are excited to bring Starbeck our new bar, The Waiting Room, in the next few months. Our plan is for a cafe bar, selling local craft beers, amazing wines and the best in premium spirits and gins in a comfy environment.

“We will be serving a variety of food all day, including artisan coffee, pastries, homemade world food bowls, pizza and grazing boards to nibble on while you are enjoying a drink. We plan to trade all day with food and drink available for take-out for those on the go. When we have more details to share we will let everyone know more”.

A logo of the new venue

The Waiting Room will open from 7am Monday to Saturday and from 9am on Sunday, It will close at 11.30pm Monday to Wednesday and 00.30am during the rest of the week.


Read more:


Starbeck is currently served by one pub, the Prince of Wales, plus two clubs.

There were plans to open a micropub called the Office Ale House on 67d High Street, but proposals fell through.

‘Quirky’ Starbeck mural could see Marc Almond floating on a teabag

A “quirky” mural has been proposed for a wall in Starbeck that could see famous former residents, such as the 14th-century Duke of Lancaster John of Gaunt and Soft Cell singer Marc Almond, painted as if they are floating on teabags.

Mark Leicester, who owns a block of buildings on Starbeck High Street, said such a mural would liven up a wall that was formerly the side of a launderette and joins Camwal Road.

Mr Leicester told the Stray Ferret his vision for the mural includes making the windows look like car windscreens and underneath depicting famous ex-residents flying on teabags as if they are magic carpets.

He said he wants the artwork to offer something different from the norm.

“We’re proud of Starbeck. A lot of unsung heroes have lived here.”

“We’re trying to do something that isn’t just a landscape, we want it to be quirky and interesting too.”

The mural would be painted on this wall.


Read more:


Mr Leicester has asked local residents to suggest famous people who lived in Starbeck that could be included on the mural.

Suggestions so far include John of Gaunt, William Slingsby, pub owner Sam Smith, Marc Almond and Henry Peacock.

Colourful murals have become increasingly popular in the area.

Local artist Sam Porter recently finished working on a nature mural at Cheapside in Knaresborough and a fox-themed mural was painted on the iron bridge at Bilton this month.

Mr Leicester said his son, who is an animator, has volunteered to help with the design and he is in discussions with local mural artists that might be able to do the work.

He added:

“I want it to make people smile when they see it. And for them to see Starbeck as a nice place.”

Work could begin on the mural this summer.

Three covid cases in Harrogate district today

A further three cases of coronavirus have been reported in the Harrogate district, according to today’s figures from Public Health England.

Cases have remained low in recent days. The total in the district since the start of the pandemic is now 7,654.

The district’s seven-day covid rate has fallen again to 12 per 100,000.

Starbeck has recorded the most infections in the last seven days, with eight.

The North Yorkshire average is now above England’s average – North Yorkshire is 32 and England is 25.

This is mainly because Selby’s rate has exploded to 112.

No further covid deaths have been reported at Harrogate District Hospital. The total since the pandemic began stands at 179.

According the NHS England figures, the most recent covid death at the hospital was April 11.


Read more:


 

Questions over Starbeck Baths as council fails to give opening date

Questions are being asked over the continued closure of Starbeck Baths. The 150 year old pool has yet to open after restrictions were eased a week ago.

Harrogate Borough Council said it is waiting for further government guidance regarding social distancing. It said the layout and age of the building makes it more difficult to reopen than larger venues.

With Knaresborough pool in need of repairs and the opening of the new facility in Ripon delayed, much of the district has no swimming facilities after lockdown eased.

This August all of the district’s baths will move under the control of the council’s arms-length company, Brimham’s Active.

As part of the reorganisation, a council report released last summer said “the future of Starbeck Baths would need to be considered” which led to suspicion it would be closed permanently.

The Liberal Democrat Starbeck ward councillor, Philip Broadbank said he wants a better explanation as to why it’s still closed.

He said:

“Without a pool in Knaresborough we need to have something on this side. I can’t see why its not open. Of course you do become concerned that it’s been so long and it’s an old pool and this would be the way to close it but I have been assured it will be reopened as soon as practically possible. It’s needed now more than ever.”


Read more:


The four-lane pool is the second oldest council-run pool in the UK and pre-covid was very popular with local residents.

Some have taken to social media to question its continued closure including Chris Watt who said on Twitter “I hope Harrogate Borough Council reopen Starbeck pool soon. Our little boy has been missing is swimming lessons over the last year and it’s a great community asset.”

When the Stray Ferret asked the council about Starbeck Baths it said:

“We are waiting for the government to publish guidance on future social distancing rules which will dictate how quickly we can reopen Starbeck Baths.

“There are no plans to close Starbeck Baths.”

Previously, the council leader Richard Cooper has said whilst in leadership the Baths would not be closed.

A Freedom of Information request by The Stray Ferret, last year, showed the bill for running the baths increased from £234,193 in 2018/19 to an estimated £239,370 last year.

Harrogate soft play centre to close after five years

The owners of a soft play centre in Harrogate have revealed that it is closing after five years in business.

Winkies Harrogate, based in Starbeck, has only been able to open for a couple of months over the last year.

It has been closed since January under the third national lockdown and will not be reopening with other soft play centres on May 17.

With the doors shut for so many months, the owners of the small independent business said Winkies is no longer viable.


Read more:


A statement by Zoe and Victoria, who run Winkies Harrogate, said:

“To all of our lovely customers, one year ago we never envisaged what the year ahead held for us.

“It is with much sadness that we have to let you all know Winkies is no longer able to open its doors.

“We have loved meeting so many families who have enjoyed not only the soft play centre but have attended our wonderful classes and birthday parties.

“We have tried hard to keep winkies going but quite simply the business is no longer viable.”

The pair also thanked customers and added they will “miss the Winkies community very much”.

When Winkies shared the news on its Facebook page it received more than 200 comments from people sharing memories of the play centre.

It is the second children’s play centre to close recently. Goose, which was based on Hornbeam Park, went into liquidation in August last year.

Sneak peek: Reptile shop to open in Starbeck tomorrow

A reptile shop is set to open its doors in Starbeck and the owner is “frilled” to get started.

Yorkshire Reptile, at 67d High Street, will be the only shop of its kind in Harrogate.

Owner Tom Whittaker believes his emphasis on animal welfare will set his shop apart from other reptile businesses.

The shop will open its doors tomorrow, on April 1 – no joke – with snakes, bearded dragons, chameleons, tortoises and more.

One of the shop’s chameleons.

It also sells food for the animals, vivariums and decorations for the tanks. None of the animals that the shop stocks are venomous or dangerous in anyway.


Read more:


What started off as a hobby for owner Mr Whittaker has now become a full business venture.

Vivariums in the shop.

Mr Whittaker, whose background is in cyber-security, only decided to open the shop eight weeks ago.

He told the Stray Ferret:

“My dad took me to a reptile show in Doncaster when I was 12-years-old. Ever since then I have been fascinated by it.

“It’s just how they move, how they eat, how they shed, their temperament. There are so many different kinds.

“I don’t want to compare them to Pokemon but you feel like you have to get all of them. I am obsessed and so are a lot of people.”

Prices start at £50 for a corn snake up to a green tree python, which can set you back as much as £700.

Fire service investigates cause of Starbeck home blaze

The fire service has launched an investigation into the cause of a blaze which devastated a house in Starbeck last night.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue, North Yorkshire Police and Yorkshire Ambulance Service attended the fire on Avenue Grove at around 8pm.

When crews arrived they found that the fire started in a bedroom on the first floor but had quickly spread to much of the first floor. Nobody was in the house on arrival.


Read more:


It also caused smoke damage to the ground floor and neighbouring homes. Two people required treatment for smoke inhilation.

The homeowner told the Stray Ferret last night that the fire started in her son’s bedroom while she was downstairs celebrating her birthday. She said she did not know what caused the fire.

Crews used breathing apparatus, three hose reel jets, 45mm jet, delta lance, triple extension ladder, lighting and thermal imaging camera to put out the fire.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue attended last night.

They evacuated neighbouring properties, cordoned off the area and advised people to avoid the area while they were dealing with the incident.

Now North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue has confirmed that it is investigating the cause of the fire.

Neville Scott, red watch manager at Harrogate fire station, told the Stray Ferret last night that:

“It had the potential to be a very serious incident and spread to other properties because it was a terraced house.

“But the firefighters were able to prevent that.”

The home had a smoke alarm and the fire service said it was a reminder of how important it is to have a working fire alarm in all homes.

Starbeck home owner ‘absolutely devastated’ after fire

A woman in Starbeck says she is “absolutely devastated” after a serious fire at her home tonight.

Crews using breathing apparatus from Harrogate, Ripon, Knaresborough and Boroughbridge, plus an aerial appliance from Huntington, near York, battled the blaze in Avenue Grove, which broke out at about 8.20pm tonight.
Two people required treated for smoke inhalation.

The owner of the house, who did not wish to be named, told the Stray Ferret the fire started in her son’s bedroom while she was downstairs celebrating her birthday.

She said she didn’t know how it started but she was “absolutely devastated”.

The house had only recently been redecorated.


Read more:


Neville Scott, red watch manager at Harrogate fire station, said:

“It had the potential to be a very serious incident and spread to other properties because it was a terraced house.

“But the firefighters were able to prevent that.”

The home had a smoke alarm and the fire service said it was a reminder of how important it is to have a working fire alarm in all homes.
Houses either side were evacuated but the inhabitants have now been allowed to return.
The road was blocked off and people advised to avoid the area.

 

Homes evacuated in Starbeck due to fire

Homes have been evacuated in Starbeck as firefighters battle a blaze that broke out this evening.

Two people are being treated for smoke inhalation but there are no reports of any further injuries at this time.

The fire, in Avenue Grove, was reported to North Yorkshire Police at about 8.20pm tonight.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service and Yorkshire Ambulance Service are in attendance.

The area has been cordoned off.

A police statement said:

“Members of the public are advised to avoid the area while emergency services deal with the incident.”

Read more: