Plans to open a new micropub called the Office Ale House in Starbeck have fallen through.
IT consultant Kevin Jones previously said he hoped to get the venue at 67d High Street up and running by May, subject to planning permission.
He applied for a change of use planning permission on September 22, but nearly six months later Harrogate Borough Council was still to consider the application.
Mr Jones said the landlord of the building has now decided to offer the building to a different tenant.
He said he was “seriously upset about it” and criticised the council’s planning department:
“Starbeck has lost what would have been a community asset.”
“Now all the money I have spent on it has been wasted.”
Read more:
A council spokesperson blamed the covid pandemic for the delay:
“We would normally endeavour to determine an application for a change of use within eight weeks. This can sometimes take longer should revisions to a scheme be needed and/or further information required.
“But, like all local authorities, the planning application process was disrupted considerably last year due to the on-going global pandemic and the numerous lockdown and social distancing measures introduced.
“Once remote meeting were introduced, along with government measures for carrying out the planning process safely, we have successfully reinstated this process. However, as a result of the aforementioned issues, some application decisions are taking longer to determine.”
A different building on Starbeck High Street will be turned into a pub called the Waiting Room, after Harrogate Borough Council’s licensing sub-committee granted it a licence to sell alcohol last month.
The premises was previously occupied by Greenalls and Your Factory Bed Shop.
Harrogate dentist drops plans to stop NHS servicesA Harrogate dentist has dropped plans to stop providing NHS services after patients raised concerns.
Chatsworth House Dental Clinic proposed in August transferring NHS patients to Starbeck Dental Centre.
The provider never made a formal approach to the NHS and has now confirmed it has no intention to stop the service.
The owners of Chatsworth House Dental Clinic said in a statement to the Stray Ferret:
“At the time, the practice was merely seeking opinion from our patient base about the possible merging of NHS services with another practice in the locality.
“We decided not to pursue this any further after feedback from our patients and the logistics of such a proposal.
“We have no intention of ceasing NHS services and the practice is fully committed to providing NHS services for the long-term future at its current location.”
The decision surprised the management team at Starbeck Dental Centre, which was set to take on the NHS contract.
Read more:
- ‘Shocking’ waits for NHS dentists in Harrogate district
- Harrogate thalidomide campaigner backs covid vaccine
Jonathan Campbell, group operations manager at Starbeck Dental Centre, said:
“I can confirm that the transfer to Starbeck Dental Centre is not happening following the unexpected withdrawal from the owners of Chatsworth House Dental Clinic.
“At Target Dental Group our aim is to provide the best possible care to the patients to both NHS and private patients of Harrogate and surrounding areas.”
Investigation into NHS dentist provision in Harrogate district
It comes after an investigation by the Stray Ferret found that just two NHS dentists in the Harrogate district are currently accepting patients and they have a waiting list of at least two-and-a-half years.
We looked into the availability of free NHS services at the 18 district dental practices listed on the NHS website.
Many have not updated their information for years. But they all fall into one of three categories: they have a long waiting list; they have such a long waiting list that they are not taking on new patients; or they no longer hold an NHS contract.
Of the 18 practices, only MyDentist in Knaresborough and AW Jones Dental Practice in Boroughbridge are taking patients — with waiting times of two-and-a-half years and three years respectively.
Harrogate Railway FC raises £2,000 for school defibrillatorHarrogate Railway FC has generated almost £2,000 for a defibrillator at Starbeck Primary Academy and sports equipment at Hookstone Chase primary school.
To raise the money, the club spent two years organising events, including Halloween and Christmas parties.
In total, the club raised £950, which was match-funded by Barclays Bank, taking the amount raised to £1,900.
Railway’s juniors recently made Harrogate High School their new home base.
Read more:
- My Year: Tough time for young footballers in and after lockdown
- ‘Disappointed and bemused’: junior football clubs react to shutdown
Railway’s youth chairman Lee Holmes paid tribute to Rob Warren, Claire Hayden, and Jenny Vincent for their efforts organising fundraising events.
He said:
“We’re big on giving back to the community and we do as much as we can for our local schools.”
“Starbeck is a really close-knit, fantastic community.”
New Starbeck bar granted alcohol licence
A new bar is set to open in Starbeck after Harrogate Borough Council’s licensing sub-committee granted it a licence to sell alcohol.
Robert Thompson, director of Appetite for Life, hopes to have The Waiting Room open in May, covid restrictions permitting.
The building at 34 High Street was previously occupied by Greenalls and Your Factory Bed Shop, but has stood empty for some time. The name of the bar ties in to its location near Starbeck railway station.
Mr Thompson told the committee this morning that he hopes the bar will attract a different clientele to the nearby Prince of Wales pub.
He said:
“We see Starbeck as an up and coming area that lacks a high-quality, modern hospitality venue. We want to change that through an investment of up to £100,000.”
Appetite for Life’ already runs a number of bars in the Harrogate district including the So Bars in Harrogate, Knaresborough and Ripon, and the Tap on Tower Street.
The bar will also sell coffee from 7am Monday to Saturday and from 9am on Sunday, with a deli counter open during each day. It will close at 11.30pm Monday to Wednesday and 00.30am during the rest of the week.
Read more:
Starbeck is currently served by one pub, the Prince of Wales, plus two clubs.
However, the high street could see the addition of a second new bar called The Office Ale House, which submitted plans to Harrogate Borough Council last year.
Owner Kevin Jones told the Stray Ferret that he is confident that Starbeck is big enough for the two new venues, and thinks covid has highlighted how important pubs are for local communities.
Starbeck set to get new micropubDrinkers in Starbeck could soon be spoilt for choice with the opening of a new micropub called The Office Ale House.
IT consultant Kevin Jones, who has had experience running pubs in the past, said he hopes to get the venue on 67d High Street up and running by May, subject to planning permission and covid rules.
It would be another addition to Starbeck’s high street after plans were unveiled last week for a bar at the former Greenalls carpet shop at the high street’s junction with Spa Lane.
Kevin told the Stray Ferret that The Office Ale House will be in the vein of smaller hostelries such as Blind Jack’s in Knaresborough which specialises in cask ale, bottled craft beer, and the best from local breweries.
He said:
“I believe Starbeck needs it and covid has made us all desperate for human interaction.”

Kevin Jones.
Kevin says he is confident that Starbeck is big enough for the two new venues, and thinks covid has highlighted how important pubs are for local communities.
He added:
“I’m not worried about covid. I think it’s shown us we have to get out and socialise. I want somewhere where people can get off the train, have a couple of pints and a chat.”
Read more:
If approved by Harrogate Borough Council, the pub will be open seven days a week from 12pm to 9pm. It will also be dog friendly.
Starbeck is currently served by one pub, the Prince of Wales, plus two clubs.
The Henry Peacock closed in 2012 and has now been demolished and replaced with retail units.
New bar could open in former Starbeck carpet shopStarbeck could have an addition to its high street if planning permission is approved to open a new bar.
Local pub company Appetite for Life is planning to open its eighth bar at the former Greenalls carpet shop at the junction with Spa Lane.
It already runs a number of bars in the Harrogate district including the So Bars in Harrogate, Knaresborough and Ripon, and the Tap on Tower Street.
The owners said they hope to be open in May if covid restrictions are eased and that the new venue will offer something for everyone, including live music.
The building, 34 High Street, was previously occupied by Greenalls and Your Factory Bed Shop, but has stood empty for some time.
Read more:
- Harrogate Borough Council set to support a Knaresborough BID to benefit local business
- Harrogate business goes independent despite challenges during the pandemic.
Robert Thompson, director of Appetite for Life, hopes to open a brand new “quality independent cafe bar” called The Waiting Room, tying in to its location near Starbeck railway station.
If all plans are approved, the space will become a licensed craft beer and coffee shop, with a deli counter open during the day. At night the owners say it will have more of a bar feel.
Mr Thompson said it will have a modern feel which he hopes will appeal to people from across the district and create a buzz in Starbeck, adding:
“We have had Starbeck in our sights for a long time. We see it as a bustling, up-and-coming area within Harrogate that offers a vibrant retail, commercial and residential market for us to expand in.
“We feel that there is an opportunity to open a quality independent cafe bar and really add to the development of Starbeck.”
If approved, the plans will see the unit returned to one open space with the removal of a partition wall. An area to the rear will also be converted into a storage room from a bathroom.
Mr Thompson’s application for an alcohol and music licence will be heard by Harrogate Borough Council next week. An application has also been submitted for a change of use of the building from a shop to a restaurant/cafe and take-away.
Drivers ‘dice with death’ at Starbeck level crossingDrivers who try to beat the level crossing on Starbeck’s High Street have been told they are “dicing with death” and can expect to be fined.
British Transport Police said yesterday it has recorded 12 incidents at the crossing this month, so has put out a warning to anyone thinking of trying it.
Shocking video from the dash cam of a police car captured the moment a 4×4 driver ignored the signals and lowering barriers.
There are cameras at the crossing and BTP said it will increase patrols. It recorded two incidents in one day on both January 8 and January 14.
Read more:
Officers are investigating each incident and have said drivers can get points on their licence and a hefty fine as a result.
Inspector Andy Roberts said:
“Level crossing safety procedures are there for a reason.
“By trying to beat the system you risk your own lives and potentially the lives of passengers and the driver of the oncoming train.
“A fine and a few points on your licence is a lucky escape considering what the outcome can be if you dice with death on a level crossing.
“Have a little patience and wait until it’s safe to cross, it really isn’t worth risking your life in order to save a few minutes.”
Darren Lord, the route level crossing manager for Network Rail, said:
“There is simply no excuse to ignore the warning signs, lights and barriers at level crossings. Doing so is incredibly selfish and puts other people’s lives at risk, as well as your own.
“We’re working closely with the British Transport Police to investigate these incidents and we encourage anyone to report any instances of misuse at a level crossing to them.”

When Ron and Beryl Golightly married in 1941, the Second World War was raging and Winston Churchill was Prime Minister.
Eighty years on they are still together and have two daughters, six grandchildren and 11 great and great great grandchildren.
Ron and Beryl married at St Andrew’s Church in Starbeck on January 8 1941, during Ron’s active service as a member of the Grenadier Guards Armoured Division. They still live in Starbeck.
Mrs Golightly described the key to a long and happy marriage as “give and take”. She added:
“We fell in love very young and are still in love in our old age.”
Their big day didn’t go entirely to plan. Ron was forced to apply for a special marriage licence as his army leave was cancelled twice due to the war.
They were left with no best man, so a passer-by had to step in. Luckily he happened to be one of Ron’s friends.
The pair later welcomed two daughters, Margaret in 1942 and Sue in 1945.

Ron and Beryl with their daughters Margaret and Sue in the 1950s.
Read more:
- A couple from Bilton had their covid vaccine a week after their diamond wedding anniversary.
- Nellie celebrated her 105th birthday surrounded by 300 cards in her Killinghall care home.
The keen Harrogate Town fan spent his time working as an HGV driver when he wasn’t in the crowd at Wetherby Road on match days.
Ron celebrated his 100th birthday in March last year. Unfortunately, the pandemic meant the planned party had to be cancelled. Instead friends and neighbours stood in the street to sing Happy Birthday.

Ron aged 17 in his uniform (left) and celebrating his 100th birthday indoors (right).
Beryl, 98, worked as a shop assistant in Harrogate and was an active volunteer for St John Ambulance. She was the first person in Harrogate to teach first aid in schools.
Beryl received a St John Ambulance award after saving a woman who had collapsed and stopped breathing in Harrogate Conference Centre.
Their celebration was marked by a card from the Queen, the pair’s fourth having already being sent cards for their 70th and 75th anniversaries and Ron’s 100th birthday.
The 80th year of marriage is traditionally marked by oak gifts. The couple received an oak heart crafted by one of their son-in-laws and a wooden bowl with a ha’penny bit dating from 1941.
The Harrogate district’s top five covid hotspotsThere have been 633 covid infections recorded in the Harrogate district in the last seven days, according to government statistics.
The infection rate has rocketed over the last month and the current seven-day average rate is now 494 people per 100,000.
But there are considerable variations within the district.
The government breaks each district into smaller areas known as middle super output areas, each with a population of about 7,200 people.
According to the latest figures, the middle super output areas with the most current infections are central Harrogate and central Knaresborough.
The more rural Pateley Bridge and Nidd Valley, which has been consistently less affected throughout the pandemic, has the fewest current infections.
Most infections
1 Central Harrogate 76
2 Knaresborough Central 61
3 Harrogate West and Pannal 59
4 Killinghall and Hampsthwaite 53
5 Starbeck 47
Read more:
- All over 80s in Harrogate district to be offered vaccine by end of month
- Three Harrogate Town players test positive for covid
Fewest Infections
1 Pateley Bridge and Nidd Valley 13
2 Hookstone 17
3= Dishthorpe, Baldersby and Markington
3= Spofforth, Burn Bridge and Huby 19
5 Masham, Kirkby Malzeard and North Stainley 21
Watch Harrogate man in World’s Strongest Man final on TV tonight
He conquered Europe in 2020 and tonight you can see how Harrogate’s Luke Richardson fared when he lined up against the best strongmen in the world.
Luke, 23, was one of 10 men in the final of the World’s Strongest Man, which is being broadcast on Channel 5 at 7.30pm.
The event took place in Florida in November and the Stray Ferret revealed last month how Luke fared.
If you want to know, you can type his name into the search function on our website but as many people don’t want the outcome spoiled, we won’t mention it here.
Whatever happened, 2020 was a remarkable year for Luke, a former lifeguard at Starbeck Baths who only transitioned from powerlifting to strongman just over a year ago.
He finished fourth at Britain’s Strongest Man and won Europe’s Strongest Man, which was held at Allerton Castle, near Knaresborough.
Read more:
- Gambaru family devastated by Harrogate gym closure
- New gym in Knaresborough despite closures elsewhere
All these events have been broadcast on Channel 5, providing huge national exposure for Luke over the festive season. He has 64,000 followers on Instagram.
Luke was one of 40 men who qualified for the World’s Strongest Man.
He finished second in his heat, which was shown on TV on Boxing Day, to American Jerry Pritchett to book his place in tonight’s final.
The final includes events such as the keg toss, Hercules hold, deadlift and the Atlas stones.
Luke has lived in Harrogate all of his life. He attended Starbeck Community Primary School and Harrogate High School and now trains at Absolute Fitness in Boroughbridge and LR Strength Shed in Wetherby, which he and training partner Richard Parish opened.