Storm Éowyn: fallen trees and major travel disruption across Harrogate district‘Don’t travel north of York on Friday,’ says train firm as storm approachesHarrogate Tory MP’s office almost struck by lightning

The Harrogate building struck by lightning is next door to Conservative MP Andrew Jones’ constituency office, it has emerged.

Paramedics treated a resident for shock when lightning hit their home at East Parade on Saturday night.

A police cordon put up outside their home remained in place yesterday.

A cul-de-sac that separates the building and the Harrogate and Knaresborough Conservative Association‘s office was also closed because debris from the lightning-struck roof had landed on to the road and the chimney stack was unsafe.

The office is where Andrew Jones, the Conservative MP for Harrogate and Knaresborough, is based when he is not in Westminster. Several of his staff also work there.

The building struck by lightning is on the left and the Conservative office is on the right.

Harrogate Conservative Club is the next building down the street.

Nobody was seriously injured in the incident, which occurred at about 10.30pm during Saturday’s storm.

Another home on East Parade, along with properties on Skipton Road and Crab Lane, suffered flooding within minutes of the lightning strike, forcing on-call firefighters from Summerbridge to be drafted in to help crews from Harrogate and Knaresborough.


Read more:


 

 

Harrogate homes flooded and struck by lightning in storm

A house was struck by lightning and others faced flash flooding, as the Harrogate district felt the wrath of last night’s storm.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service night shift summary reported crews from Harrogate and Knaresborough were summoned to a home on East Parade in Harrogate that had been struck by lightning at 22:38.

One occupant suffered shock as a result and was treated by a paramedic but was otherwise unharmed.

Police then cordoned the property due to “an unsafe chimney stack with some debris falling into the road”.

Boroughbridge crews also attended a power line in Ingmanthorpe after it had been struck by lightning, causing it to arc near trees. Crews remained at the scene until it was safe and “left the incident in the hands of power grid engineers.”


Read more:


Throughout the night, multiple houses within the district were hit by flash flooding.

Summerbridge firefighters were called to a house on Crab Lane in Harrogate following reports of flooding inside the basement. Crews pumped out water using an ejector pump. This was then left in the hands of the owners.

A house on East Park Road in Harrogate, was also flooded during the storm. Crews assisted occupants in using buckets to remove the water.

Firefighters also attended reports of flooding on Skipton Road and Devonshire Place.

Find more information here.

Photo of the Week: Double rainbow over Ripon
This week’s photograph was taken by Helen Smith, featuring a striking double rainbow over Ripon Marketplace.

Helen Smith

 


Photo of the Week celebrates the Harrogate district. It could be anything from family life to capturing the district’s beauty. We are interested in amateur and professional photographs, in a landscape format.

Send your photographs to letters@thestrayferret.co.uk for a chance to be featured next week, we reserve the right to adjust and crop images to fit into our format.

Business Breakfast: Experienced solicitor returns to Harrogate law firm

Business Breakfast is sponsored by Harrogate law firm Truth Legal


A Harrogate law firm has welcomed back an experienced conveyancing solicitor to the company.

Liz Webster has returned to LCF Law, where she last worked in 2012.

She said:

“Having started out as a legal executive more than 24 years ago, I worked at firms in Wakefield, Leeds and Bradford before qualifying as a solicitor in 2007 and then becoming a partner at the Wakefield-based firm where I started out.

“I have taken two career breaks to travel and worked for LCF Residential in between but having settled back in Yorkshire, I was keen to return to the firm permanently. The ethos at LCF Residential is unparalleled and the team are first-rate.”

Julie Davis, a director at LCF Residential, said:

“We are thrilled to have Liz back. Despite the ever-changing political landscape, the housing market has remained buoyant, with lots of transactions.”


Read More:


Harrogate company reaches supply agreement with Romanian security firm

A Harrogate communications firm has reached an agreement with a Romanian security company to supply telephone and workplace technology.

Storm, which is based at Cardale Park, has announced the partnership with Civitas Group, which works with major oil, gas and petrochemicals companies in the country.

The Harrogate-based firm will supply Civitas with workforce management and communications technology, including radio phones known as Push-to-Talk over Cellular.

Luke Wilkinson, founding director of Storm, said:

“We are delighted to be partnering with Civitas Group, a long established and highly respected provider of security services to blue chip clients and their interests across Romania and its fast-growing economy.

“Our agreement represents a new customer and new region for Storm and is another sign of increasing market confidence in the strength and resilience of our world-leading technologies.”

Northern Powergrid criticised over ‘unacceptable’ Storm Arwen failings

Energy regulator Ofgem has today published a damning report into how Northern Powergrid handled Storm Arwen.

The storm battered the Harrogate district and much of the UK in November and caused widespread disruption to homes and businesses. Over one million customers lost power as winds hit 98mph.

The storm struck during bitterly cold weather and left some rural homes in the district, including in Beckwithshaw and parts of Nidderdale, unable to cook or heat their homes.

Northern Powergrid is the company responsible for the electricity distribution network across the North East, Yorkshire and northern Lincolnshire.

Six-month review

Ofgem published its findings after a six-month review into how Northern Powergrid, Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks and Electricity North West responded to the storm.

The review focused on whether the power outages could have been prevented and whether correct and timely information was given to customers.

Storm Arwen Jenny Field Drive

A fallen tree in Jennyfields during the storm.

It also looked at whether power was restored quickly enough and how customers were supported after the storm including the processing of compensation payments.

It found some households remained off power for an “unacceptable” amount of time, received poor communication from their network operator and compensation payments took too long.

It highlighted Northern Powergrid in particular for not contacting vulnerable customers prior to the storm.


Read more:


Below standards

The report warned Northern Powergrid that the performance at its call centre fell below standards, which could be a breach of licence conditions.

It also suggested that some of the electricity poles that fell onto power lines were susceptible to damage because of their age, although it said this needs further investigation.

Jonathan Brearley, chief executive of Ofgem, said:

“The frequency of extreme weather events is only set to increase so it is really important that industry, and those involved more widely, learn from Storm Arwen to better respond in future.”

The three energy firms have already agreed to pay nearly £30m in compensation to affected customers but following the report, they have agreed to pay a further £10.3m.

Read the report in full here.

Northern Powergrid’s response

Phil Jones, chief executive of Northern Powergrid, has published a full response to the Ofgem report on its website.

Mr Jones said:

“As we said at the time, we understand how challenging Storm Arwen was for our customers and we are sorry for the difficulty and disruption it caused to their lives. We appreciate the patience that they showed and the dedication of our team who worked through some of the most difficult conditions we have ever faced.

“The extreme nature of the event meant we learned some difficult lessons. It highlighted some limitations in our systems and showed us things we can do to be able to provide a stronger response to more extreme storms. We are committed to doing those things to make the communities that we serve more resilient to extreme weather events.”

Mother Shipton’s delays reopening again due to landslide

Mother Shipton’s Cave in Knaresborough has been forced to delay its reopening again after heavy flooding caused a landslide onto a path.

The famous tourist attraction was due to reopen this weekend after clearing up the debris from recent floods but has now had to delay its reopening for a second time until March 19.

The “slight landslide” has fallen onto Beech Avenue, which is the site of some of the oldest and tallest beech trees in the country, from a bank above.

The landslide has left the well-trodden footpath, which runs from the steps used to access the petrifying well to the entrance of the museum, impassable. Therefore the decision has been taken to delay reopening for another week until the footpath can be made safe.

Jay Stelling, marketing coordinator, said supporting structures were installed last year to prevent damage like this but the strength of the recent storms meant the landslide couldn’t be avoided, adding:

“Our maintenance team had been attempting to clear the pathway and put plans in place to prevent further problems with landslides while we were closed during the winter.

“To rectify this issue permanently we are waiting on permission from the council to gain access above Beech Avenue to assess and establish the remedial work required in order to prevent this problem in the future.”


Read more:


Ms Stelling said the slope had experienced a “noticeable shift” in recent years due to climate change. She added:

“We are devastated that this is the case and we are doing everything we can to get the site safe and on top form to welcome back visitors.”

The attraction will open on weekends from March 19 and on weekends and weekdays from April.

Flood warning issued for Boroughbridge

A flood warning has been issued for Boroughbridge as rain continues to fall in the Harrogate district.

The warning for the Upper River Ouse was issued at 10.10am this morning at the start of what is expected to be a week of storms and rain.

Currently the main threat is just to the east of Boroughbridge but the situation is expected to worsen this afternoon.

The bad weather over the weekend has impacted river levels across the UK. 2 flood warnings have been issued, one in Boroughbridge and another in the Lake District. There are 28 other flood alerts.

Check here: https://t.co/ueaxxWzWWI#Flood #LakeDistrict #Boroughbridge pic.twitter.com/ew5DbhuLhN

— FloodAlerts (@FloodAlerts) February 14, 2022

It is one of two flood warnings nationally, the other one being active in Cumbria.

Less severe flood alerts were removed this morning for the Lower Nidd catchment area and the Lower Ouse but water levels remain high following days of persistent rain.

The government’s flood alert service says of the situation affecting Boroughbridge:

“Flooding of roads and farmland is expected. Areas most at risk are low lying land and roads and riverside foot and cycle paths.

“We expect levels on the River Ouse to rise through Monday and to peak late on Monday afternoon.

“Our incident response staff are closely monitoring the forecast and checking and operating defences as required.

“Please avoid using low lying footpaths near local watercourses and plan driving routes to avoid low lying roads or carparks near rivers, which may be flooded.”

 

Harrogate theatre roof repairs could be finished this month

The longstanding roof repairs at Harrogate Theatre could be finished this month, it was announced today after another performance was cancelled due to a leak at the weekend.

The final performance of Kinky Boots, by Harrogate Operatic Players, was cancelled at late notice on Saturday night after a backstage leak raised concerns about the electrics.

The decision, taken on safety grounds after a day of heavy rain, disappointed both performers and audience alike.

Some audience members had already taken their seats so the cast chose to perform a few numbers from the award-winning musical with just the house lights on.

Work to replace the roof has been taking place since May.

It is not the first time a performance has been cancelled due to a leak since the roof repairs began. The recent pantomime season was also affected.


Read more:


Work to replace the 121-year old Victorian theatre roof began in May. It was due to finish in September but this was put back to March.

David Bown, chief executive of the theatre, said today it could be finished this month if there are no further incidents. He said:

“The last time I spoke to the contractors they were ahead of schedule, it could even be the end of this month. The area that was leaking was backstage and that has been repaired.

We’d only cancel a show if absolutely necessary but the safety of everyone in the theatre had to take priority.”