Four teenage girls have pleaded guilty to causing actual bodily harm to a female in Harrogate.
The girls, who cannot be named for legal reasons, are between 14 and 17 years old.
They admitted jointly assaulting the victim on August 15 last year in Belmont Park, Starbeck.
Three of the girls are from Harrogate; another is from Blackpool.
They pleaded guilty when the cases were heard at North Yorkshire Youth Court, sitting in Harrogate, on Friday.
The girls were ordered to £200 compensation each and referred to youth offender panels for 12 months.
Read more:
- Harrogate girl, 13, admits drunken attack on police officers
- Starbeck cafe tackling the cost of living crisis
Teens left in tears by Northern train guard’s ‘heavy-handed’ fine
The parents of three teenagers left “in tears” after being issued with a fine on a train journey have criticised the guard’s “heavy-handed” approach.
Freddie Fulford, 15, and his friends Evie and Oscar Bartle were travelling from Cattal to York on Saturday, June 3.
It was the first time the three had gone into York together and Freddie’s dad, Tony, said they were looking forward to a day out on their own.
“They jumped on the train with no tickets because it was in the station when they arrived.
“There is a ticket machine at the station, but they didn’t know you couldn’t pay on the train.”
Once the guard realised the teens didn’t have tickets, he issued them with fines of £20 each. The teenagers said they were told in an “intimidating and frightening” way that the maximum penalty was three months in prison.
Upset by the fine and the threat of a criminal record, the teens called their parents from York station in tears.
Mr Fulford, who lives in Harrogate, said:
“They could have paid there and then or the guards could have said ‘buy at ticket on the app and we’ll come back in a minute’. It was just so heavy-handed.
“The obvious answer would have been to let them buy the tickets on the train and explain what they should do for next time.”
He said both families have submitted complaints and appealed against the fines. They had heard from other parents whose children had been fined for similar situations and had successfully appealed.
Read more:
- Harrogate rail campaigner ‘optimistic’ early morning train could be reinstated
- Harrogate district train station parking review a ‘lost opportunity’
Both sets of parents are in a position to pay the fines, he said, but he was concerned about other families who were not. He added:
“The main point is to stop it happening again.”
The Stray Ferret contacted Northern for a response to Mr Fulford’s concerns about their handling of the situation.
In response, Tony Baxter, regional director for Northern, said:
Teen girl referred to youth panel after Harrogate McDonald’s police attack“Customers have a duty to buy a ticket for travel before they board a train.
“They can do so in advance via our app and website or, if they wish to purchase at an un-staffed station, they can do so from one of the more than 600 ticket machines we have installed across the network – one of which is at Cattal station.
“Customers should arrive at the station in time to purchase their ticket before they travel. Anyone issued with a penalty fare has the right to appeal the decision to an independent appeal service.”
A teenager has been referred to a youth outcomes panel after two police officers suffered serious injuries at McDonald’s in Harrogate.
The police community support officers from Harrogate’s neighbourhood policing team were called to McDonald’s on Cambridge Road on April 1.
They were responding to reports that three girls, aged 13,14 and 15, had entered despite being banned due to anti-social behaviour earlier in the evening.
According to police, the group refused to leave when asked by officers and trouble flared at around 7pm.
One of the PCSOs suffered a suspected broken nose and the other sustained tissue damage to the cheek. Both received hospital treatment.
The three girls were arrested and bailed pending further investigation.
Read more:
-
Police recruitment won’t be felt ‘for years to come’, says chief constable
- Two PCSOs seriously injured after attack in Harrogate McDonald’s
North Yorkshire Police today revealed one of the girls has been referred to a youth outcomes panel.
The panel, which is a partnership between police, North Yorkshire Youth Justice Service and York Youth Offending Team, decides what action, if any, is most appropriate to pursue.
The panel encourages a restorative approach with victims and looks to address the causes of the young person’s offending.
The two other girls remain on conditional bail while enquiries continue.
North Yorkshire health officials urge 16 and 17-year-olds to get jabTeenagers aged 16 and 17 in North Yorkshire are being urged to get vaccinated against covid “as soon as possible” ahead of the return to school and college next week.
Those who fall into this age group were first offered a vaccine dose last month, but unlike others no second jab is being scheduled.
The government set a target of offering everyone aged 16 and 17 their first dose or the chance to book one by August 23, and Louise Wallace, director of public health for North Yorkshire, said they should now take up the opportunity “as soon as possible”.
Speaking at a meeting of North Yorkshire Local Resilience Forum, which is a collaboration of agencies fighting covid, today, she said:
“The key message does remain the same for everyone across the county who is eligible for a vaccine to come forward. It is still the best form of protection.
“If you are 16 or 17 years of age, please come forward and get vaccinated as soon as possible – and ideally before you go back to school.”
Her plea coincides with NHS England beginning to draw up plans for a possible extension of the vaccination programme to all 12 to 15-year-olds.
Read more:
- Pateley Bridge says thank you to vaccine volunteers
-
Ripon Racecourse vaccine centre closes after giving 27,000 jabs
However, experts on the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation, which advises the government, have yet to make a final decision on whether it should go ahead – and there are national reports that they may opt against it because of fears it could disrupt the programme of boosters for older people.
School bubble groups scrapped
School distancing rules, ‘bubble’ groups and staggered starts have now been scrapped, although ventilation measures and extra hygiene precautions will still be in place.
All secondary pupils are also being urged to get tested either at school or in the community before term starts. After that, pupils will be encouraged to carry on with the twice-weekly testing regime in order to keep cases under control.
Ms Wallace said it was “massively” important that pupils now made a return to school.
She added:
Warning to parents after police seize ‘drug-laced sweets’ in Ripon“All schools and colleges are advised to keep continuing with regular hand washing, cleaning regimes and keeping spaces well ventilated.
“And of course, we will give support from a local public health perspective to any school or college if they see a spike in cases.”
Four teenagers have been arrested after “drugs disguised as sweets” were seized in Ripon yesterday afternoon.
Police stopped a vehicle in the city around 4pm and arrested the four on suspicion of possession with intent to supply Class B drugs, money laundering and weapons offences.
Among the items seized during the arrests were what appeared to be sweets – but officers strongly believe they are laced with controlled drugs.
Three of the arrested teenagers have been released under investigation and the fourth has been bailed while enquiries continue.
A spokesman for North Yorkshire Police said:
Boys assaulted by group of teens on Bilton viaduct“Police are extremely concerned that anyone consuming these items could be at risk of serious harm, and are asking parents to be particularly vigilant, and ensure their children understand the risks.
“These so-called ‘edibles’ pose a risk to young people across York and North Yorkshire. Anyone who has any information about the supply of illegal drugs in any form is urged to contact North Yorkshire Police on 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. Your call could literally save someone’s life.”
Two boys have been assaulted on the Bilton to Ripley cycle path after a confrontation with a group of teenagers.
The victims and a friend were chased onto the Bilton viaduct on Tuesday, between 6.15pm and 6.30pm, by a group of between five and seven people.
One of the group approached the first victim and punched him in the face a number of times. The boy suffered facial injuries which required hospital treatment.
The second victim tried to help his friend and was punched in the back of the head by another member of the group.
A spokesman for North Yorkshire Police said:
“This incident took place on a busy public footpath, in broad daylight, where members of the public are exercising. We are requesting the public’s assistance to help establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident.”
Police are trying to trace two suspects. Both are described as white teenage boys, aged between 16 and 18. One was between 5ft 9ins and 6ft tall and well-built, with medium length brown hair. He was wearing a blue t-shirt and grey shorts and was on a bicycle, carrying a dark blue backpack.
The second suspect had a thin build and was more than 6ft 2ins tall. He is also believed to have been on a bike and was wearing a black t-shirt with grey jogging bottoms. Both of the suspects were part of a group of up to seven people.
Anyone with information that could assist the investigation should contact North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 2, and ask for Ryan Rudd. Alternatively, email ryan.rudd@northyorkshire.pnn.police.uk. Quote the North Yorkshire Police reference number 12200093071.
To report information anonymously, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.


