GALLERY: Remembrance Sunday at Harrogate’s war memorialHarrogate Xmas attractions won’t go up until after Remembrance Sunday

Organisers of this year’s Harrogate Christmas Fayre have said they won’t erect any seasonal attractions until wartime remembrance activities have concluded.

The decision to put up a helter-skelter next to the war memorial two days after Remembrance Sunday divided opinion last year.

Some claimed it was disrespectful to locate it so close to the memorial, so close to Remembrance Sunday; others said the war dead fought for freedom and would have liked the idea of children playing on the rides.

Ivan Nicholson van Ingen, a former soldier of 40 years’ service, contacted the Stray Ferret to seek clarification on this year’s arrangements.

Mr Nicholson van Ingen said many veterans were upset last year at seeing the helter-skelter alongside the memorial and urged the fayre organisers not to install it before Remembrance Sunday, which is on November 13.

A spokeswoman for Destination Harrogate, a tourism division of Harrogate Borough Council, which is one of the Christmas fayre organisers, confirmed this would not happen. She said:

“We would like to assure Mr Nicholson van Ingen and your readers that, as with last year, Harrogate Borough Council has been in contact with the Royal British Legion to advise of plans for the town centre festive attractions prior to any final decisions being taken.

“We can also confirm that as with last year, no festive installations will be put in place this year or in future years before remembrance activities have taken place.”


Read more:


The spokeswoman said the helter-skelter was put up on November 15 last year, increased footfall and and “provided a fun, safe, family-friendly experience that was particularly welcomed following the challenges of the pandemic”. She added:

“Our Christmas attractions will be in situ and open to the public between December 2 and January 8 and we look forward to a great opportunity for our residents and visitors to enjoy the festivities in Harrogate.”

 

 

 

 

 

Ripon man auctions 255 bottles of whisky for Falklands veterans

A Ripon man is to auction 255 signed bottles of whisky to raise money for Falklands veterans.

Next month marks the 40th anniversary of the start of the 10-week war, which claimed the lives of 255 British military personnel.

Simon Mercer, whose family has strong military connections, came up with the idea after a chance encounter with Nigel Phillips, the current Governor of the Falkland Islands, on a flight to the British overseas territory in 2018.

Each bottle has been numbered and signed by Mr Phillips and Major General Julian Thompson, who led 3 Commando Brigade during the conflict with Argentina.

Many bottles have been additionally signed on the front label by Falklands veterans including Sara Jones, widow of Lt. Col. H Jones, who posthumously received the Victoria Cross after being killed in action during the Battle of Goose Green in May 1982.

Each signatory served their country with extraordinary bravery on land, at sea and in the air.


Read more:


The cask-strength 53.5%, 13-year-old Glen Moray whisky will be auctioned online by Scotch Whisky Auctions, which has waived its usual fees.

Whisky auction

Each bottle is signed by Nigel Phillips and Major General Julian Thompson, who led 3 Commando Brigade.

The auction will take place from April 1 to 10 to coincide with the anniversary of the start of the war on April 2, 1982.

All of the profits will be donated equally between the charities Falklands Veterans Foundation and South Atlantic Medal Association 82.

Mr Mercer said the project had become a “labour of love” during lockdowns.

He said the Ukraine war highlighted the need to look after veterans.

“I believe we must give back to life. We can’t just take. I’ve done all sorts of successful fundraisers with Ripon Cathedral as a trustee but I never go to church. It’s just a nice building worth preserving and each generation has a duty.

“Supporting our armed services has never been more important than it is today. The Falklands was the last legal war and we have a duty of care to support those who served. I’m just doing my bit.”

 

Ripon auction to raise money for armed forces charity

Chris Sills and Cath Richmond, are two Ripon parents whose families have benefited from the support of Team Endeavour.

Now they hope that people will support a fundraising event for the charity that helped them at their time of need.

Team Endeavour provides assistance to the families of service personnel and veterans who are suffering through illness, poverty or hardship.

Chris and his wife Sara, were helped with funds towards the cost of a medical bed and the purchase of a specialist wheelchair, after their daughter Mabel was born prematurely with a number of complications.

Cath, whose partner Gavin had served in the Royal Corps of Signals, died three years ago.

She and her then five-year-old daughter Molly, received support through the heart-breaking time from the charity, which paid for them to take a short break at Flamingo Land.

Former Royal Engineer Chris and Cath, now hope that Team Endeavour will be able to raise more funds through a charity auction being held in partnership with Halls of Ripon.

The department store, with the support of its 20 independent retailers and other businesses in the city, is holding an online auction starting on Sunday (21 November) and running until 1 December.

Cath Richmond is pictured above with Chris Sills and Emma Crossland, Mike Cooper and Ben Butler from Halls.

People will be able to bid for a wide range of items, including a 40 point diamond white gold pendant, a unique hand-painted remembrance helmet, a voucher worth £500 to spend at Halls and a shirt autographed by the Manchester United team.

At 6pm on 2 December the ten lots that have attracted the highest bids online, will be on offer at a live auction held in the department store and conducted by the comedian and actor Freddie Davies. 

Photo of Mabel's 5k

Chris Sills and his eight-year-old daughter Mabel (centre) raising money for Team Endeavour at a sponsored 5k run.


The event will include live music and refreshments.

Mike Cooper of Halls of Ripon, said:

“There are many amazing lots to bid for, some of them, one-off pieces that you won’t be able to get anywhere else. All proceeds will go directly to Team Endeavour to help them continue their vital work.”

Cath, who has the designer Yorkshire Feathers stall at Halls, said:

“The charity helped me and Molly at a very difficult time and I have supported them ever since.”

Chris, who has been a volunteer fundraiser for Team Endeavour for eight years, added:

“It’s a brilliant charity that has come to the aid of people when they were feeling hopeless and with nowhere else to go.”


Read more:


 

Ceremony marks start of remembrance events in Ripon

Ripon’s week of events to remember the dead of two world wars and other conflicts began at the weekend.

The Dean of Ripon, The Very Revd. John Dobson, led prayers as he blessed the Royal British Legion Garden of Remembrance next to the cathedral.

Saturday’s ceremony was attended by serving officers and standard bearers representing all of the armed forces, along with civic dignitaries, including Stuart Martin, the chair of North Yorkshire County Council and a Ripon councillor, and city council leader Andrew Williams.

Photo of cross being put in place

Attendees were invited to place small wooden crosses bearing a poppy, in front of the plinth at the garden

A two-minute silence was observed before small crosses with poppies on them were put in place by a number of attendees in front of the garden plinth.

Jeet Bahadur Sahi, who served in the Gurkhas for 22 years and is chair of the Royal British Legion Ripon branch, told the Stray Ferret:

“This is a special year for the legion and the branch as we celebrate our 100th anniversary.

“The remembrance garden, which opened in 2018, was created by the Ripon branch with support from the public, businesses and authorities.

“In addition to the war memorial in Spa Gardens, it provides a permanent and prominent place where the fallen can be remembered.”

Photograph: Tyler Parker Photography

Spa Gardens will be the focus next weekend when Ripon’s civic Remembrance Sunday service is held at the city’s war memorial, followed by a service at the cathedral.

The event, which starts at 11am, will honour the service and sacrifice of the armed forces, British Commonwealth veterans, allies and civilians involved in the world wars and other conflicts.

Those wishing to attend are asked to assemble at Spa Gardens from 10.30. Following the service, there will be a march past and salute in front of Ripon Town Hall, with the procession leading to the cathedral, where a further service will be held.


Read more: