Residents have been “effectively kept out of the loop” on plans to build 4,000 homes in west Harrogate, a meeting heard this week.
About 10,000 people are expected to move into new homes being built on a patchwork of sites stretching from RHS Harlow Carr to Yew Tree Lane.
Some have already been completed but construction has yet to begin on about 2,000 homes.
Frustration at how the process has been handled was expressed at Wednesday’s spring meeting of Harlow and Pannal Ash Residents’ Association.
Hapara secretary David Siddans said it had “always acknowledged the need for housing” but added “this must be supported by the right infrastructure” and he said residents’ concerns had not been addressed. He added:
“Four thousand homes on the west side of Harrogate were agreed four years ago and still we have no clear idea on the transport implications.
“We have found the whole process opaque, high handed and illogical.”

The ‘western arc’ of development areas in Harrogate. Image: HAPARA.
Mr Siddans said it was illogical in the sense that the planning process had been “turned on its head” because mitigation measures were being suggested before assessments and strategies had been carried out on key issues such as transport and healthcare.
He said:
“It’s rather like a doctor presenting a cure and some time later trying to find out what’s wrong with you.
“The whole process is led by developers who assess the impact they create and the remedies for them. Their focus, understandably, is on the bottom line. Therefore we look to the council to make their own assessments or at least to scrutinise.”
Mr Siddans added:
“I understand councils have limited resources but they should be doing this on behalf of the community.
“Yet we feel we have been effectively kept out of the loop because we are told it is ‘too complex’. All we get is a brief window to comment on the planning applications when they are published — that is the first time we get to see the impact.
“Maybe everything will be fine but the public deserves more openness.”
Hapara chair Rene Dziabas told the meeting, which was attended by North Yorkshire Council highways officials, 2,000 homes were due to built simultaneously on three sites. He added:
“It’s unbelievable. We have never seen anything like this before — to have work on 2,000 homes going on in one go is unreal.
Yew Tree Lane and Whinney Lane updates
The meeting also heard updates on other key issues in the area.
Mr Dziabas said phase three of the Otley Road cyclepath will go ahead, as reported by the Stray Ferret.
Regarding the former police training centre on Yew Tree Lane, where 200 homes are due to be built, Mr Dziabas said Hapara wanted to see a construction management plan adhered to.
He said the plan should include issues such as onsite parking to prevent lorries parking on Yew Tree Lane, conditions on noise and light pollution, proper onsite washing facilities for lorries “so they are not chucking up muck everywhere” and lorries avoiding local roads at school drop off times.
Final planning approval was granted in January, but Mr Dziabas said developer Vistry Group was still in the process of acquiring the old police training centre site.
Mr Dziabas said Hapara wanted to see the public right of way reinstated on Whinney Lane, but some lorries by developer Stonebridge were still using it.
Council officers at the meeting said Pannal Ash Road would be resurfaced and traffic calming measures would be installed, hopefully at the same time.
Man jailed for dealing cocaine and ecstasy in HarrogateA man caught dealing cocaine and ecstasy in Harrogate has been jailed for 22 months.
Christopher David Corrigan, also known as Purser, 38, of Lingfield Drive, Moortown, Leeds, was sentenced at York Crown Court on Thursday.
Corrigan was intercepted by police on Yew Tree Lane where his then girlfriend was found to have 72 wraps of cocaine in her bra.
He pleaded guilty to possession with intent to supply cocaine and ecstasy at a previous hearing.
His girlfriend at the time, Jordan Wood, 27, from Northallerton, stood trial for the same offences and was found not guilty.
Stopped on Yew Tree Lane
Officers from Harrogate’s specialist drugs unit Operation Expedite stopped a grey Peugeot 208 on Yew Tree Lane on April 30, 2021.
According to police, they had “concerns that the driver was involved in the supply of cocaine in the area”.
They detained Corrigan and Ms Wood, who was the front seat passenger.
A search of the couple and the vehicle found 72 wraps of drugs in Ms Wood’s bra.
Both were arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply Class A drugs.
Read more:
- Ripon man jailed for two crazy police chases
- Harrogate cocaine and cannabis ring jailed for 31 years
During police interview, Ms Wood answered “no comment” to all questions and Corrigan said he was £8,000 in debt.
Tests showed 60 cocaine wraps were 89% pure and 10 wraps were 29% pure.
Two further bags were found to be 95% pure ecstasy, which is also a Class A drug.
The total amount of cocaine was just over 30 grams and the total amount of ecstasy was 1.23 grams.
The total street value of all the drugs seized was £3,480.
‘He can reflect on his behaviour in prison’
Police discovered Corrigan’s mobile phone contained numerous messages in which a ‘line holder’ arranged drug deals and Corrigan was sent to conduct the deals.
Corrigan pleaded guilty to the offence in April this year and was remanded in custody awaiting the outcome of Ms Wood’s trial.
PC Michael Haydock, of Operation Expedite, said:
“Corrigan was the main protagonist which was clear to see from the evidence presented by the officer in the case. Corrigan was left with no option but to admit his guilt.
“He can now reflect on his criminal behaviour whilst serving his custodial sentence. Anyone else who tries their hand at drug dealing can expect to end up where he is too.
“There is no place for drug dealers. They inflict misery and suffering on people, their families and communities, all for their own greed.”
Man pleads not guilty to seriously injuring teens in collision outside Harrogate school
A man has pleaded not guilty to causing serious injury to two teenagers in a collision outside a Harrogate school.
Benjamin Oakes, 46, of Tewit Well Avenue, Harrogate, was charged with causing injury by careless or inconsiderate driving in the incident on Yew Tree Lane on February 2.
He appeared at Harrogate Magistrates Court this morning, where he confirmed his name and address, and entered his not guilty pleas.
Both he and magistrates opted not to send the case to crown court, where he would have faced a jury trial.
Instead, the trial will be heard a York Magistrates Court, with provisional dates set for December 4 and 5.
Mr Oakes was released on unconditional bail.
The court heard the two 15-year-old boys, who cannot be named for legal reasons, suffered serious injuries in the collision outside Ashville College.
They were not present at the hearing today, but are expected to give evidence via a video link during the trial.
Read more:
Harrogate schoolboys crash: man appears in court
A man appeared in court today charged with causing serious injuries to two Harrogate schoolboys while driving.
Benjamin Oakes, 46, of Tewit Well Avenue in Harrogate, is accused of careless / inconsiderate driving of a Vauxhall Astra on Yew Tree Lane on February 2 this year.
Two 15-year-old Rossett School students, who were walking to school at the time, had to be rushed to hospital following a collision, which occurred at 8.46am.
Today’s brief hearing at Harrogate Magistrates Court was adjourned when it emerged Mr Oakes was only made aware of proceedings yesterday due to a postal problem.
Prosecuting, Melanie Ibbotson said the papers involved in the case were “extensive” and she had no objection to the defence lawyer’s request for an adjournment.
The case is now due to be heard in Harrogate on August 11, when Mr Oakes is expected to enter a plea.

Mr Oakes (left) leaving court today.
Read more:
- Harrogate man appointed UK ambassador to Iraq
- Men jailed for £143,000 burglaries at new housing sites in Harrogate district
Man charged over collision that seriously injured two Harrogate teenagers
A man has been charged in connection with a collision on Yew Tree Lane in Harrogate that left two teenagers seriously injured.
The 15-year-old Rossett School students who were walking to school at the time, were taken to hospital following the collision at 8.46am on February 2.
Benjamin Oakes, 46, of Tewit Well Avenue, Harrogate has been charged with two counts of causing serious injury by careless driving in a Vauxhall Astra.
He is due to appear at Harrogate Magistrates Court this morning.
Police said a second man who was interviewed under caution will face no further action.
Read More:
Accident reignites safety concerns near Harrogate schools
A road accident this afternoon has reignited safety concerns for children walking to school in Harrogate.
A red Fiesta mounted the pavement on Yew Tree Lane — the same street where 15-year-old Rossett School students Fraser and Reuben were taken to hospital with serious injuries following a collision with a vehicle in February.
No further details of today’s incident are known — the Stray Ferret has asked North Yorkshire Police to provide some information.
But the sight of a car on the pavement prompted the father of one of the teenagers who was injured in February to get in touch to say it reinforced the need for safer roads around schools.
He said:
“A lot of people are campaigning for a 20 mph speed limit on roads near schools.
“The issue feels very close to home when I see something like this so near to where my son’s accident took place.”
The Yew Tree Lane area is particularly busy because it caters for children attending three secondary schools — Ashville College, Harrogate Grammar School and Rossett School – as well as primary schools, nurseries and pre-schools.
But the parent said 20 mph “should be the limit outside all schools”, including small village primary schools.
A petition calling for a 20 mph limit to be imposed on streets across the south of Harrogate was handed to North Yorkshire Council last month.
Hazel Peacock, who delivered the petition on behalf of the campaigning parents, said the limit would “change people’s attitudes in regard to comfort around walking, cycling and mobility users”.
Read more:
- Mum of boy seriously injured on school run in Harrogate issues plea for 20mph limit
- Child airlifted to hospital after collision outside school near Ripon
Police patrols monitoring travellers at Harrogate’s Ashville School
Ashville College in Harrogate said today police were conducting regular patrols after travellers set up camp on the sports field.
An encampment arrived at the independent school on Friday night.
In an update today, a spokesman for the college said it had been working with North Yorkshire Police “and other authorities to expedite the removal of the travellers from our sports field”.
He added:
“As a precautionary measure, there is a fence running the width of the site to separate the school from the travellers.
“They have been instructed by the police, who are carrying out regular patrols, not to go near school buildings or any pupils.”
Home sports fixtures were postponed following the weekend arrival of travellers.
The spokesman said:
“Thanks to the hard work and vigilance of all our teaching and support staff, the school is fully operational today, although there have been some minor adjustments for our youngest pupils in Acorns pre-prep and reception.
“GCSE and A-level examinations are running as usual in the sports centre. Sports lessons, and after-school clubs and activities, are also uninterrupted.
“We are providing regular updates to families until the situation is resolved, and thank them for their continued support and understanding.”
Travellers previously pitched up on Ashville’s sports fields off Yew Tree Lane in August 2021 and demanded money to leave.
The Stray Ferret asked North Yorkshire Police what action it had taken but has not received a response.
Read more:
- Police alerted after travellers set up camp at Ashville College
- Residents demand progress on west Harrogate infrastructure plan
200-home Pannal Ash scheme ‘fails to address infrastructure’, say residents
A plan for 200 homes at Harrogate’s former police training centre “fails to address” increased pressure on infrastructure in the area, say residents.
The plans from Homes England and Countryside Properties include the conversion of several former training centre buildings into 16 homes and building 184 new properties.
Homes England, which is the government’s housing agency, already had permission to build 161 homes on the site but wanted to increase this by 23% to 200 homes by building on three planned football pitches and one cricket field.
Harrogate Borough Council granted outline permission for the scheme to go ahead in December 2021.
But Harlow and Pannal Ash Residents’ Association has criticised the plan.
In a letter to the council, the group raised concern over the “over-intensification” of affordable housing, the impact on carbon emissions and disruption caused by construction traffic.
Read more:
- New settlement plans ‘paused’ after land withdrawn near Cattal
- Plans confirm football pitches will be lost in 200-home Harrogate scheme
Hapara added the proposal did not address how the increased pressure on infrastructure will be addressed.
It said:
“Disappointingly, this application, like many others, fails to specifically address the increased pressure that will be placed on infrastructure. Where do children go to be educated when schools in the vicinity are already at capacity?
“Where will people receive primary medical care when there are no doctors’ surgeries in the area?
“Will people really catch a bus into town rather than take their cars when the nearest stop is 1km away?”
Homes England appointed Countryside Properties in a £63 million contract to build the homes and a reserved matters application has now been submitted for the scheme.
This includes details such as landscaping, how the homes will look, and the site layout.
The developers said in a planning statement that the scheme will be of “high quality”.
It said:
“Careful consideration has been given to the detailed design of the proposal to ensure that it creates a high-quality and distinctive development that establishes a strong sense of place and provides an attractive and comfortable place to live.”