Plans confirm football pitches will be lost in 200-home Harrogate scheme

New plans for 200 homes at the Harrogate’s former police training centre confirm that four sports pitches will be lost as part of the development.

The plans from Homes England and Countryside Properties include the conversion of several former training centre buildings into 16 homes and building 184 new properties.

Homes England, which is the government’s housing agency, already had permission to build 161 homes on the site but wanted to increase this by 23% to 200 homes by building on three planned football pitches and one cricket field.

To make up for the loss of sports facilities, it offered £595,000 towards Pannal Community Park on Leeds Road through a section 106 agreement that was backed by Sport England.

Harrogate Borough Council granted outline permission for the scheme to go ahead in December 2021.

Homes England appointed Countryside Properties in a £63m contract to build the homes and a reserved matters application has now been submitted for the scheme. This includes details such as landscaping, how the homes will look, and the site layout.

A planning statement says:

“Careful consideration has been given to the detailed design of the proposal to ensure that it creates a high-quality and distinctive development that establishes a strong sense of place and provides an attractive and comfortable place to live.”

Although there will no longer be football or cricket pitches there, the developer has included some open space at the south of the site for the public to use.

Plans have been submitted for the former police training centre on Yew Tree LaneDetailed plans have now been submitted for the site


Thirty per cent of the homes will be affordable and they will be spread across the site.

The existing cast iron gates and stone gateposts located off the main driveway will be retained as an entrance feature to a new ‘village green’.

The main access will be created via a new priority junction on Yew Tree Lane. This will also provide the starting point for a new cycle route that will run the development.

The developer delivered leaflets about the application to 363 residents and businesses in the area before submission.

The former police site on Yew Tree Lane was used as a base to train more than 1,200 officers a year before it closed in 2011.


Read more:


 

Fundraiser for injured Rossett students passes £5,000 target

An online fundraising appeal set up in aid of two teenagers injured in a crash in Harrogate has passed its £5,000 target.

The 15-year-old boys, Reuben and Fraser, were taken to hospital when a van collided with a wall on Yew Tree Lane last Thursday (February 2).

Lorraine Mitchell, a friend of both teenagers’ parents, set up a GoFundMe page following the crash in an effort to raise money for the families “to be with their son to support the rehabilitation process”.

Since then, the fundraiser has reached £5,325 and is continuing to attract pledges.

Ms Mitchell said:

“We were all shocked and incredibly saddened by the crash and know this support will be gratefully received by both families.”

The boys, both pupils at Rossett School, were walking along Yew Tree Lane at the time of the incident and were left with serious injuries.

Another fundraising appeal for the boys, set up by Julie Mills, has so far generated £1,654 — close to its £2,000 target.

It means almost £7,000 has now been pledged in total.


Read more:


 

Fundraising appeals set up for Rossett students injured in Harrogate crash

Two online fundraising appeals have so far raised more than £2,000 for two teenagers who were injured in a crash in Harrogate.

The 15-year-old boys, Reuben and Fraser, were taken to hospital when a van collided with a wall on Yew Tree Lane last Thursday.

Lorraine Mitchell, a friend of both teenagers’ parents, set up a GoFundMe page following the crash.

The boys, both pupils at Rossett School, were walking along Yew Tree Lane and were left with serious injuries.

So far, the page has raised £1,090.

Ms Mitchell, who spoke to the Stray Ferret about the campaign, said the money would help the teenagers’ parents be with them during their recovery. She said:

“We were all shocked and incredibly saddened by the crash and know this support will be gratefully received by both families.”


Read more:


Meanwhile, Julie Mills, of Ainsty Road in Harrogate, also set up a GoFundMe page to raise money for the families of the two teenagers.

Posting on the fundraiser, Ms Mills said:

“The families of these young boys are going to need all the help and support at this terrible time.”

At the time of writing, the campaign has generated £1,319.

North Yorkshire Police confirmed this morning that no arrests or charges had been made in relation to the incident.

Two drivers interviewed over collision with teens on Yew Tree Lane

Two men have been interviewed under caution after a collision in Harrogate yesterday that left two teenagers in hospital.

The men, both aged in their 40s, were the drivers of the Ford Ranger van that collided with a wall on Yew Tree Lane, and of the Vauxhall Astra also involved in the incident.

Both had remained at the scene yesterday to help police with their investigations, along with the driver of a Ford Fiesta, who has not been interviewed under caution.

The two 15-year-old boys who were injured remain in hospital today, North Yorkshire Police has confirmed.

A spokesperson for the force said:

“Officers investigating the collision are continuing to appeal for anyone who witnessed the collision or who has a dashcam and was travelling in the area around the time of the collision to come forward.

“Members of the public should contact 101 and quote reference number 12230019910.”

The incident happened yesterday morning around 8.45am.

The boys, both pupils at Rossett School, were both walking along Yew Tree Lane and were left with serious injuries.

Nearby pupils rushed to the scene before Ashville College staff provided first aid until emergency services arrived.

The boys were taken to hospital by road ambulance. Police have not provided any further update on their condition.


Read more:


 

Homes England accused of ‘bullying’ tactics over 200 homes at Pannal Ash

The government’s housing agency has been accused of using “bullying” tactics over controversial plans for up to 200 homes at a former police training base in Harrogate.

Homes England was granted approval for the Pannal Ash site at a meeting on Tuesday when it emerged the body had written to senior officials at Harrogate Borough Council claiming the authority acted “unlawfully” when it delayed a decision on the plans in June.

The delay was taken after questions were raised over the West Harrogate Parameters Plan – a long-delayed document on infrastructure needs for the up to 4,000 new homes set to be built in the west of the district.

Members of the council’s planning committee had hoped for a further delay on Tuesday to allow time for the parameters plan to be completed, however, they claimed they were “bullied” into approving the homes due a “threat” of legal action.

David Stephenson, senior planning manager at Homes England, said while launching a costly appeal against the council was an “absolute last resort” for the body, it was a route it was willing to take.

He told yesterday’s meeting:

“We are trying to work with officers and have been doing so for a number of months to avoid an appeal – something Homes England does not want to do.

“But if this is deferred then unfortunately we will have very little options going forward.”


Read more:


The former police site on Yew Tree Lane (pictured below) was used as a base to train more than 1,200 officers a year before it closed in 2011.

The latest plans from Homes England include the conversion of several former police buildings into 16 homes and the construction of 184 new properties, while proposals for a sports pitch have been scrapped.

Councillor Pat Marsh, leader of the Liberal Democrats, said a decision on whether the scheme should go ahead should not be taken until work on the parameters plan is completed as expected in February.

‘Grossly damaging accusation’

“We are talking two months here to make sure what is done on this site is right.

“I’m very saddened Homes England thinks it is right to bully us into this decision, because that is what is on the cards today – ‘approve it or we will appeal’.”

Councillor Jim Clark, a Conservative who represents Harrogate Harlow, also accused the body of having a “bullying attitude” and said its claim that the council acted “unlawfully” was a “grossly damaging accusation”.

The west side of Harrogate currently finds itself with around a quarter of the entire housing allocations in the Harrogate district Local Plan 2014-35, which outlines where development can take place.

This equates to around 3,500 to 4,000 new houses and residents are worried how the area’s schools, roads and health services are going to cope with this population increase.

Rene Dziabas, chairman of Harlow and Pannal Ash Residents Association, said he believed a precedent had been set for further housing in the area as the police site was allocated for 163 homes in the Local Plan, but has now gained approval for up to 200.
He said:

“We are strongly opposed to this near 25% uplift in housing numbers.

“We are also worried about the precedent this sets, the impacts that will arise and we ask – what is the point of the Local Plan?”

Travellers depart Harrogate’s Ashville College after fracas leaves man in hospital

Travellers have left Harrogate’s Ashville College following a fracas on Saturday night that left one man in hospital.

Six caravans returned to the playing fields at the fee-paying school last week a fortnight after a previous encampment, thought to be the same group of people, pitched up.

Their presence raised safeguarding concerns that could have disrupted the new school term, which is due to start this week.

But following a disturbance on Saturday night, most of the travellers have now gone — and the few remaining are expected to depart today.

A spokesman for Ashville College said:

“Of the six caravans that returned on Saturday afternoon, just one remains and they are expected to leave this afternoon.

“Their departure follows an incident on Saturday night confined to this group, which resulted in police attending the scene and one man being taken to hospital. There has been a police presence since the incident occurred.

“We would like to emphasise that no member of the school community was involved in any way, and parents and staff have been fully appraised of the situation.”

School reviewing security

The school is now looking at ways to prevent travellers returning a third time. The spokesman said:

“A full review of the site security was already underway, and this process will now be expedited.”

A North Yorkshire Police spokesman said the incident was believed to be an altercation between two men at the location.

The spokesman added:

“Both were arrested and bailed pending further enquiries.

“We will be reviewing this tomorrow with the local Neighbourhood Policing Team.”

No staff, students or anyone else connected with the college is believed to have been involved.


Read more: