Fundraising appeals set up for Rossett students injured in Harrogate crash

Two online fundraising appeals have so far raised more than £2,000 for two teenagers who were injured in a crash in Harrogate.

The 15-year-old boys, Reuben and Fraser, were taken to hospital when a van collided with a wall on Yew Tree Lane last Thursday.

Lorraine Mitchell, a friend of both teenagers’ parents, set up a GoFundMe page following the crash.

The boys, both pupils at Rossett School, were walking along Yew Tree Lane and were left with serious injuries.

So far, the page has raised £1,090.

Ms Mitchell, who spoke to the Stray Ferret about the campaign, said the money would help the teenagers’ parents be with them during their recovery. She said:

“We were all shocked and incredibly saddened by the crash and know this support will be gratefully received by both families.”


Read more:


Meanwhile, Julie Mills, of Ainsty Road in Harrogate, also set up a GoFundMe page to raise money for the families of the two teenagers.

Posting on the fundraiser, Ms Mills said:

“The families of these young boys are going to need all the help and support at this terrible time.”

At the time of writing, the campaign has generated £1,319.

North Yorkshire Police confirmed this morning that no arrests or charges had been made in relation to the incident.

Nurses and ambulance workers in Harrogate district to strike today

Nurses and ambulance workers in the Harrogate district will walk out today as part of an ongoing dispute over pay and conditions.

Picket lines could be organised within yards of each other on Lancaster Park Road in Harrogate, where the hospital and the ambulance station are both located.

The Royal College of Nursing also plans to stage another walkout tomorrow (February 7).

The move comes as the union has called on Prime Minister Rishi Sunak to increase nurses’ pay and NHS funding.

Patricia Marquis, director for England at the RCN, said:

“People are having to wait longer to access services when demand has never been greater.

“Patients are not dying because nurses are striking. Nurses are striking because patients are dying.

“Our members have a mandate to take strike action for another 100 days – and the Prime Minister would do well to see these strikes for what they are: a warning of the need for swift action.

“The Prime Minister is letting down the nation’s health, millions of patients, and ultimately the economy. An ill and untreated population cannot work and contribute to the economic recovery that everybody wants to see.”


Read more:


Meanwhile, GMB union members from Yorkshire Ambulance Service will stage another walkout in a dispute over pay and conditions.

Ambulance staff are also set to stage further walkouts on February 10.

In response to the strike action, a spokesman for Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust said:

“Comprehensive plans are in place to maintain the safety of patients requiring our services during the Royal College of Nursing’s industrial action.

“We are committed to providing the best possible levels of healthcare in any eventuality, and as ever, during the industrial action our focus has been on maintaining the safety of our patients.

“Whilst it is regrettable that some of our services have been affected by industrial action, we have ensured that essential services have remained available. Whilst we have been operating at reduced staffing levels in a number of areas such as inpatient wards, we worked with the RCN to ensure that we had sufficient nursing staff working to maintain patient safety.

“During the industrial action we have rescheduled appointments where it has been necessary. We have worked with the RCN to ensure that our services have remained safe.

“While pay is a matter for government and the trade unions, we greatly value our staff and respect those who have chosen to take part in industrial action. We want to see a resolution as soon as possible to ensure we can continue to focus on delivering high quality patient care to all those who need it.”

‘Radical reform’ needed for North Yorkshire NHS dentists, says councillor

A senior councillor has called for radical reform of NHS dentistry in North Yorkshire amid concern over access to appointments.

Cllr Andrew Lee, chair of North Yorkshire County Council’s health scrutiny panel, has written to the government’s health and social committee with evidence over “extremely problematic” access to dentists.

The Stray Ferret has highlighted long waiting lists for NHS dentistry in the Harrogate district in recent years.

Cllr Lee has written to Steve Brine MP, chair of the national health committee, who has called for evidence to support a public inquiry into the matter.

Cllr Lee said:

“For some years, the issues with being able to access an NHS dentist has been a high priority on the agenda for the scrutiny of health committee.

“Feedback consistently indicates it being extremely problematic to find, access and retain an NHS dentist.”

The move comes as North Yorkshire’s health scrutiny committee heard of inequalities in accessing dentists across the county.

For example, in North Yorkshire, Scarborough residents have a greater challenge in accessing dentistry than those in Harrogate, due, in part, to the difference in demographics.


Read more:


However, a review of NHS dentistry published in August 2021 found that there was just one NHS dentist practice per 10,000 people in the Harrogate district.

Cllr Lee added:

“Radical reform is absolutely needed. The solution lies in the management of dental services. Recruitment and retention remain difficult, and dentists themselves are frustrated with the service they can provide.

“The problem does not lie with recruiting dentists, the problem lies with a broken and dysfunctional dental contract with severe underfunding. Dentists themselves cannot rectify this and it is creating by default a two-tier system whereby those that can afford to go private do so and others struggle to access any kind of care.”

Developer withdraws former Harrogate Orvis store flats plan

A developer has withdrawn plans to create six new flats above the former Orvis store in Harrogate.

The proposal lodged by York-based Balance Planning Solution Ltd on behalf of Andrew Farr would have seen the upper floors of the unit on West Park converted for housing.

Orvis closed its doors back in April 2022 after 25 years of trading in the town.

The plan would see part of the ground floor unit converted for access to the apartments, along with an entrance to the back of the building next to the Coach House flats on Robert Street.

However, the developer has since withdrawn the application.

It comes despite supportive comments from Harrogate Borough Council’s economic officers and Harrogate Civic Society.

Rebecca Micallef, economy and transport officer at the authority, said in a letter:

“Upper floor residential at this location will add to the vibrancy of the town, supporting both the daytime and evening economy.”

Meanwhile, Henry Pankhurst, of the civic society, said:

“The civic society has for many years – decades actually – supported the use or better use of unused or underused upper floors of town centre premises, especially residential use.”


Read more:


 

New canopy and benches installed in Harrogate’s Valley Gardens

A new canopy and picnic benches have been installed in Harrogate’s Valley Gardens.

Harrogate Borough Council put in the facilities, which cost £25,000, as part of its annual maintenance programme.

The council said the existing benches were in need of repair.

It added the new seats and canopy would “ensure visitors have adequate seating and shelter from not only the rain and snow but also the hot weather”.

A spokesperson for Harrogate Borough Council said:

“Valley Gardens receives more than four million visits per year, and the new picnic benches have been installed to replace the existing ones that were in disrepair, as part of our annual maintenance programme.

“To celebrate these new additions to Valley Gardens we are hosting a treasure hunt on Tuesday 14 February between noon and 4pm. The first 240 children to complete the treasure hunt will receive a free ice-lolly.”


Read More:


 

No trains in Harrogate district today amid further rail strikes

Commuters in the Harrogate district are set for further disruption this morning as no trains will operate due to strike action.

Members of train drivers’ union the Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen (ASLEF) and the RMT union are set to walk out today in a dispute over pay and conditions.

Northern, which operates services between Leeds and York, has confirmed no trains will run throughout the day.

The operator added that some services on Saturday (February 4) after the strikes may be also be affected.

A statement from Northern urged passengers to check services before they travel this weekend.

Meanwhile, LNER has also told commuters to check services before travelling during the strikes.


Read more:


Besides train drivers, nurses and ambulance workers are set to strike in the Harrogate district on Monday.

Unless strikes are averted, the Royal College of Nursing plans to carry out two days of industrial action on February 6 and 7.

Unite has scheduled another ambulance strike in Harrogate on the same day.

Two Rossett pupils seriously injured as pick-up truck hits wall outside Harrogate school

Two 15-year-old boys have been seriously injured in a collision outside Ashville College in Harrogate this morning..

The Stray Ferret understands a vehicle mounted the pavement and hit a wall along Yew Tree Lane around 8.45am.

An air ambulance attended the scene and the boys from Rossett School were taken to hospital.

Yew Tree Lane remains closed and North Yorkshire Police officers are still at the scene.

Here are today’s developments.


11.53am 

Rossett School has issued a statement. It says:

“Earlier this morning there was a road traffic accident near to the school involving two of our students.

“We are working with the emergency services and supporting the families of those involved.  We would like to thank the staff of Ashville College for their quick response and the care that they provided at the scene.

“Rossett School staff will be providing support to our students during the course of the school day if needed.”


11.22am

Staff from Ashville College gave first aid to the injured teenagers until emergency services arrived on the scene, it has emerged.

In a statement issued just now, Ashville headteacher Rhiannon Wilkinson said:

“Two pupils from a nearby school have sadly been injured in an incident outside the college.

“Staff from the college administered first aid to the casualties and dealt with the scene until the emergency services arrived, which included an air ambulance.

“We have written to our parents informing them of the incident, which happened on Yew Tree Lane as the children were making their way to school at around 8.45am. Our thoughts are with the pupils involved and their families.”


10.56am

Police have put a cordon in place as Yew Tree Lane remains closed after the serious collision this morning.

North Yorkshire Police said:

“Road and path closures are in place, so please plan your travel accordingly.”

Ashville School crash Yew Tree Lane Rossett school


10.52am

Police confirm both injured boys were pedestrians and were hurt when the vehicle collided with a wall on Yew Tree Lane.

Both boys have been taken to hospital and their parents have been informed.

A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Police added:

“This will have been a distressing incident to witness, and we urge anyone affected to seek help if needed. If you can help with our investigation, please contact us on 101, reference NYP-02022023-0100.”


10.47am

Two 15-year-old boys have been left with serious injuries after this morning’s incident.

North Yorkshire Police has confirmed officers were called to the scene at 8.46am by a member of the public.

https://twitter.com/NYorksPolice/status/1621097533467418626


10.32am

A cordon has been set up around the scene along Yew Tree Lane, as the road remains closed after this morning’s incident.

North Yorkshire Police are still there and the pick-up truck involved remains embedded in the wall.

All ambulances which had previously been in attendance have now left.


10.21am

Nearby residents have told the Stray Ferret they have heard a lot of sirens all morning as the incident unfolded.

One resident of Yew Tree Lane said:

“I saw a lot of flashing lights and heard the air ambulance. I wondered what had happened.”


10.19am

Rossett School has told the Stray Ferret it is dealing with the incident and will provide an update when information is available.

It is not yet known which school the injured students attend.


10.10am

The air ambulance has now left Ashville’s field. It is not known whether it had any casualties on board.


9.40am

Multiple police cars and ambulances are on the scene and a fire engine is also understood to have attended.

A number of people are understood to have been injured, including three school children, in the incident which happened before 9am today.

A message has been sent to parents from Ashville headteacher Rhiannon Wilkinson, saying:

“We are writing to inform you that there has been an incident on Yew Tree Lane, which has now been closed.

“Three non-Ashville children were involved in an accident, which involved a car mounting the pavement. Emergency services are on site, including an air ambulance, and the area has been contained.”

Emergency services at the scene of a collision at Ashville School

 

Homelessness ‘significantly increased’ amid cost of living crisis, says Harrogate council official

Housing officials at Harrogate Borough Council say the number of people presenting as homeless has “significantly increased” amid the covid pandemic and cost of living crisis.

Maggie Gibson, housing needs manager at the authority, told a council overview and scrutiny commission that officers had seen a large amount of people who were in a “higher level of financial difficulty”.

It comes as the housing department has forecast an overspend of £170,000 due to an increase use of bed and breakfast accommodation amid a lack of temporary homes.

Ms Gibson said the council had started to see more people citing financial difficulties as their primary reason for approaching the service.

She said:

“As a backlash of the pandemic, what we are seeing is people who are in a higher level of financial difficulty.

“So whereas we may have experienced problems with affordability, we have a larger amount of people coming forward with that being their primary issue as to why they are approaching our service.

“What we also have is parents who have older children who are now living in their households, they have been struck by the additional costs associated with gas and electric. They want a contribution and maybe those older children don’t want to contribute.

“Therefore, we have those people now approaching our service.”


Read more:


The comments come as the Stray Ferret revealed last month that the council had spent £25,000 a month on temporary hotels and bed and breakfasts for homeless people.

The council, which has a statutory duty to prevent homelessness, is paying individual hotels up to £126 a night because its hostels are full.

Ms Gibson said housing officers were now seeing a “different picture” of homelessness due to the pandemic and the cost of living crisis.

She said:

“I think it’s a very different picture that we are looking at. Whereas we might have been looking at affordability on it’s own, we have now got affordability coupled with health issues – both mental and physical – which have an impact on where the person is next accommodated.

“If our temporary accommodation is not available and we are using bed and breakfast accommodation – and that will be in extreme situations – it may well be that we are waiting then with a person in bed and breakfast until a vacancy becomes available again in the hostel.”

Photographer captures spectacular starling murmuration at Ripon wetlands

A photographer has captured stunning images of a starling murmuration at Ripon wetlands.

Andy O’Brien shot the pictures last week at the site, which is part of the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust.

He said the spectacle had become a regular occurrence and that local bird watchers estimated that some 150,000 starlings can be seen at the wetlands.

Mr O’Brien, who shared the pictures with the Stray Ferret, said:

“It’s virtually an evening occurrence at the moment and incredibly spectacular not just visually but the noise of the birds turning sounds like waves crashing against rocks.”

You can watch the murmuration at Ripon below.

The images come as today marks World Wetlands Day, an initiative aimed at raising global awareness about the vital role of wetlands for people and the planet.

Rachael Bice, chief executive of Yorkshire Wildlife Trust, said it was important to celebrate and protect wetlands, such as the one in Ripon.

She said:

“Today is the day for celebrating our beautiful and wilder wetlands in all of their bountiful variety. A home for wildlife from the common frog right through to the rare bittern and water vole, wetlands are abundant in wildlife.

“Lush pools, lakes and ponds, fringed by golden reeds, meadow or woodland are vital in helping us adapt better to a changing climate, and provide a peaceful place for restoration and relaxation.”


Read more:


 

Developer withdraws plan for 55 retirement homes in Kirk Hammerton

A developer has withdrawn plans for 55 retirement homes and a community hub in Kirk Hammerton.

SageHaus Living, which is based in the Isle of Man, submitted the proposal to Harrogate Borough Council for land off Station Road in the village.

The proposal would have seen 55 park homes built along with a hub, which would be open for the community to use for meetings and other activities.

SageHause Living, which acquired the site known as Carlton Fields in 2021, said in documents submitted to the council that scheme would help bring more retirement accommodation to the district, while also being environmentally friendly.

However, the developer has since withdrawn the application.


Read more:


In a letter to the council from Kirk Hammerton Parish Council, the authority objected to the proposal on the grounds of highways, public transport and amenity concerns.

It also added that it had concern that the plan was outside the development boundary.

A visual of the community hub planned for the Kirk Hammerton site.

The council said:

“The majority of the land to be developed is outside the Development Limit shown in the current version of the Local Plan for the Harrogate district. 

“There are some aspects of the proposals which, despite this, are attractive (the carbon neutral/negative nature of the development, the focus on retirement properties). 

“There are, however, some disadvantages to the arguments put forward in the application to justify a development outside the permitted limits.”

In a letter to the council, Spring Planning, agents for SageHause, said it wished to withdraw the proposal in order to consider comments made about the scheme.