Quick-thinking traffic management staff averted a highly dangerous situation on a main road outside Harrogate’s Great Yorkshire Show this morning.
Staff at SEP Events, which is based in Boroughbridge, discovered 450 cones and 25 signs were missing when they arrived for work shortly before 6am this morning.
The items, worth thousands of pounds, are believed to have been stolen either by another firm or by thieves looking to sell them on. Several sources have confirmed the details to the Stray Ferret.
The cones and signs were taken at the Kestrel roundabout, which has been the busiest point for traffic during the show, and at the nearby junction of Wetherby Road and Rudding Lane.

An SEP van at the Kestrel roundabout.
The stretch of Wetherby Road between the two locations usually accommodates two-way traffic but a one-way system has been operating from 6am until 8pm each day of the show to improve traffic flow.
The cones and signs have played a key part in enforcing this.
But with the items missing, and 6.30am approaching, there could have been chaos with traffic heading towards the show from the Kestrel roundabout in both lanes meeting head-on vehicles travelling in the other direction that should have been diverted off Wetherby Road.
SEP employees had to stand in the road in high visibility jackets and use their vehicles to direct traffic while colleagues went back to Boroughbridge to get replacement cones and signs.
Shortly after 7am traffic measures were back in place and no accidents had occurred.
Traffic cones cost several pounds each and weigh about 6kg so whoever was responsible is believed to have had a trailer with a high load-bearing capacity.
North Yorkshire Police has issued an appeal for information. It said in a statement:
“The cones and signage were installed as part of traffic management for the Great Yorkshire Show and the theft led to significant disruption for motorists and showgoers.
“It is believed the items were taken between 9pm on Tuesday 12 July and 4am on Wednesday 13 July so police are appealing for anyone who might have seen anything which could help the investigation.”
The Stray Ferret has contacted SEP Events about the incident.
Andrew Jones MP: ‘I’m backing Rishi Sunak’
Harrogate and Knaresborough MP Andrew Jones has declared his support for Rishi Sunak in the Conservative leadership contest.
Former Chancellor Mr Sunak is regarded as the front runner of eight candidates vying to become party leader and the next Prime Minister.
Mr Jones said he supported the Richmond MP even though he, along with Prime Minister Boris Johnson, had received a fine for breaching covid regulations.
Mr Jones previously said of Mr Johnson that “lawbreakers can’t be lawbreakers” but he said Mr Sunak’s situation was different:
“For most people that was a surprise as he turned up at Number 10 for a meeting and walked into the Cabinet room as the Prime Minister was being presented with a cake. Once he received the fine he paid it.
“There was no dissembling, no denial and no appeal even though many thought it was harsh. He accepted the ruling. I think people understand the difference between that and the many months of changing claims that preceded the Prime Minister’s fine.”
Writing on his Community News website, Mr Jones added:
“We face challenging times so we need a Prime Minister who is strong and with proven economic ability and business credibility.
“In the field of foreign affairs we need someone already known and respected on the international stage to keep the pressure on Russia to quit Ukraine.
“The country needs someone who is consistent and transparent to reinvigorate trust in politics.
Read more:
- Andrew Jones MP calls on Boris Johnson to resign
- Andrew Jones MP backs bid for levelling up cash to fund HCC redevelopment
Mr Sunak’s rivals have pledged tax cuts but he has warned against “comforting fairytales” and promised fiscal prudence instead.
Mr Jones’ comments do not mention tax cuts but address inflation at length.
“The new Prime Minister needs to look at those structural imbalances in our economy that make us susceptible to inflation.
“That means addressing our dependence on fossil fuels and boosting the productivity and capacity of the economy.
“While addressing these long-term structural problems he or she needs to protect those most affected by rapidly rising prices. This may be through the benefits system, through increasing the living wage, through education in how to lower personal and household costs or through a variety of other means.”
Conservative MPs will vote in a secret leadership ballot today. Candidates who fail to get 30 votes will be eliminated. A new leader will be decided on September 5.
Julian Smith, Skipton and Ripon MP, and Nigel Adams, Selby and Ainsty MP, whose constituencies both include parts of the Harrogate district, have yet to publicly say who they support.
Hand grenade detonated in Harrogate
A controlled explosion took place in the Harrogate area after a person found a hand grenade.
North Yorkshire Police revealed it was one of two suspected explosives found in Harrogate over the weekend.
The other, which was fished out of a river by an angler, turned out to be harmless.
Police were alerted to the hand grenade at 9.30pm on Friday night. The force said in a statement:
“A member of the public rang us having found a hand grenade in the Harrogate area. We attended immediately and were at the scene a few minutes later.
“A cordon and scene guard were put in place to keep everyone safe while we contacted our colleagues at explosive ordnance disposal.
“A farmer kindly allowed us to use his field, and explosive ordnance disposal attended and safely detonated the grenade in daylight hours the following day.”
The angler’s metal object, discovered on Sunday, turned out to be nothing fishy.
But North Yorkshire Police received reports of a third suspicious item by a man clearing a barn in Craven. This one required detonating.
Read more:
- Police anti-social driving clampdown makes 10 arrests in Harrogate district
- Gang of girls admits causing actual bodily harm in Harrogate
Police said in a statement:
“We dealt with three calls relating to suspected explosives unearthed over the weekend.
“The result: two of them were unexploded devices that needed to be detonated at a safe distance – the third was just a battered piece of metal.
“In all three incidents the finders did the right thing by contacting us.”
They advised anyone discovering suspicious looking items not to touch them, leave them alone and move at least 50 metres away before calling the police on 101.
“As we did over the weekend, we’ll assess what you’ve told us, and contact explosive ordnance disposal who can take any necessary action.”
Great Yorkshire Show: long delays at Kestrel roundabout
It’s been another busy morning on the roads on day two of the Great Yorkshire Show.
Here’s what has happened so far today.
10.02am – Traffic remains heavy at Kestrel roundabout
Motorists approaching from Knaresborough and Wetherby continue to encounter delays. Otherwise most show traffic appears to be running smoothly.
9.12am – Delays at Kestrel roundabout
There are currently 40 minute delays for traffic approaching the Kestrel roundabout from Spofforth. Traffic is also heavy on the A658 John Metcalf Way but nowhere near as bad. Rudding Lane is running smoothly.
8.50am – Reports of traffic backing up to Spofforth
Reports of traffic backing up all the way to Spofforth from the Kestrel roundabout. If you have up to date travel news message us at contact@thestrayferret.co.uk
8.45am – Kestrel roundabout traffic backing up
Traffic from the Kestrel roundabout is backing up on Wetherby Road as it approaches Rudding Lane. It is moving, but slowly.
8.40am – No access through Wetherby Road
This is the sign some motorists ignored yesterday on Wetherby Road. Once you pass Sainsbury’s, heading out of town, you have to turn left on to Forest Lane.
8.25am – A quiet Wetherby Road
Wetherby Road as it’s rarely seen at rush hour. We will shortly head along Rudding Lane and to the Kestrel roundabout, which was the pinch point yesterday morning, to check on traffic.
8.20am – Traffic running smoothly at Woodlands junction
Traffic at the Woodlands junction is flowing smoothly except on Hookstone Chase where it is backing up.
Skipton Road is slow pretty much all the way from New Park roundabout to the Empress roundabout. Wetherby Road is quieter but remember it becomes one way just after Sainsbury’s.
8am – Heavy traffic on Skipton Road
Hardly a new occurrence, but traffic is already heavy on Skipton Road, backing up quite a way from the BIlton Lane junction to New Park roundabout in the direction of the showground.
7.36pm: Extra traffic through Knaresborough this year
A helpful member of SEP Events, the Boroughbridge company overseeing traffic management, told us last night that more traffic was coming through Knaresborough this year because of the decision to keep the upgraded junction 47 of the A1(M) open this year.
Previously, more traffic came off the A1 at Boroughbridge. It’s resulting in more traffic ending up at the Kestrel roundabout, which was a bottleneck yesterday, but with so many vehicles travelling to the showground it’s a case of finding a balance of what works best. He added the first day is usually the worst as people get used to the travel arrangements so let’s hope today runs smoothly.
6.58am: Free shuttle bus operating
The free shuttle bus from stand 13 at the bus station in Harrogate town centre is operating again.
Passengers using the shuttle experienced delays getting to the show yesterday morning, especially after 9am until late morning, due to the volume of traffic and security measures for the royal visit.
6.30am: Traffic restrictions in place
Click here for details of the changes that are being implemented to keep vehicles moving during the four-day show.
Yesterday there were lengthy morning delays at the Kestrel roundabout. This was partly to do with the decision to keep junction 47 of the A1(M) open for the show this year now that it has been upgraded, which led to more traffic coming through Knaresborough and to the roundabout.
Fire destroys workshop in Harrogate district
Fire has destroyed a workshop in the Harrogate district this evening.
Firefighters from Ripon and Harrogate were called to the blaze at Bishop Monkton, which is five miles south of Ripon.
Tony Walker, station manager for York, Selby and Tadcaster tweeted about the incident tonight.
He added:
“Investigation is underway to determine the cause. No injuries reported.”
Crews from Ripon & Harrogate have just dealt with workshop fire in the village of Bishop Monkton. Investigation is underway to determine the cause. No injuries reported. @theyorkmix @BBCYork pic.twitter.com/sEdEZgc2VH
— Tony Walker (@sierra18NY) July 12, 2022
Read more:
- Firefighter photos reveal extent of Harrogate district field fire
- Six baby hedgehogs in Ripon rescued from bonfire at last minute
Harrogate and Knaresborough trains to Leeds to be reinstated in December
Early morning trains from Harrogate and Knaresborough to Leeds are to be reinstated in December.
Rail operator Northern has confirmed to the Harrogate Line Supporters Group that the company will revert to its December 2021 timetable.
It means the 6.07am and 6.33am services will return, and hourly rather than two-hourly trains will operate in the evening.
Northern reduced services in May, blaming lack of resources and the need to recruit and train more drivers.
Harrogate and Knaresborough MP Andrew Jones was among those criticising the move.
Pete Myers, stakeholder manager at Northern, has written to the Harrogate Line Supporters Group saying Network Rail has approved its plans to revert to the December 2021 timetable.
Brian Dunsby, of the Harrogate Line Supporters Group, welcomed the news, saying:
“This is what we have wanted all along. They cancelled services without consulting with us or anybody and got quite a backlash for it.”
Read more:
- Harrogate commuters frustrated as early trains axed today
- Andrew Jones MP urges Northern to ‘rethink’ cuts to Harrogate trains
Which services are affected?
Mr Dunsby detailed what the changes will mean to commuters.
“This means that the 6.07 and 6.33 services to Leeds will be reinstated calling at all stations and due into Leeds at 06:44 and 07:10 respectively.
“These are very important for business and leisure travellers to London and other destinations from Leeds.
“They also hope to reinstate the 08:05 service from Harrogate to Leeds due into Leeds at 08.41.
“They also hope to reinstate the 16:29 service from Leeds via Harrogate to York, departing Harrogate at 17:05 and due into York at 17:42.
“Also reinstated should be the 18:13 service from York to Leeds via Harrogate departing Harrogate at 18:47 and due into Leeds at 19:23.
“Also reinstated should be the 19:29 service from Leeds to York, departing Harrogate at 20:05 and due into York at 20:44.
“Also reinstated should be the 21:10 service from York to Leeds, departing Harrogate at 21:44 and due into Leeds at 22:21.
“Also reinstated should be the 22:39 service from Leeds to Harrogate and due into Harrogate at 23:16.
“These services should all certainly be reinstated from December 11, 2022 and possibly from September 2022 if their driver training schedule continues as planned.
“This is very good news for Harrogate Line passengers. Many thanks to the Northern rail management team for responding to our pleas.”
Gang of girls admits causing actual bodily harm in Harrogate
Four teenage girls have pleaded guilty to causing actual bodily harm to a female in Harrogate.
The girls, who cannot be named for legal reasons, are between 14 and 17 years old.
They admitted jointly assaulting the victim on August 15 last year in Belmont Park, Starbeck.
Three of the girls are from Harrogate; another is from Blackpool.
They pleaded guilty when the cases were heard at North Yorkshire Youth Court, sitting in Harrogate, on Friday.
The girls were ordered to £200 compensation each and referred to youth offender panels for 12 months.
Read more:
- Harrogate girl, 13, admits drunken attack on police officers
- Starbeck cafe tackling the cost of living crisis
Firefighter photos reveal extent of Harrogate district field fire
Photos released by Harrogate firefighters have revealed the extent of yesterday’s field fire near Ripon.
The blaze, which occurred just after 4pm at Hutton Bank, Sharow, was one of two crop fires in the district as the heatwave hits.
North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service‘s incident log says:
“Ripon and Harrogate crews attended reports of a field of standing crops on fire.
“They requested a further four appliances due to the 300m fire front. Crews worked with the farmer to extinguish the fire. Incident has been scaled down now.”
Minutes later crews from York, Northallerton and Colburn attended a large field fire measuring approx 100 metres at Dishforth.
They used pitchforks and beaters and a hose reel to extinguish the flames.
Read more:
- Six baby hedgehogs in Ripon rescued from bonfire at last minute
- North Yorkshire fire service has adequate funding, says minister
Harrogate woman wins brutal 41-mile race in red-hot Pyrenees
Harrogate’s Helen Price ran for more than 12 hours in temperatures close to 40 degrees to win a prestigious race in the Pyrenees on Saturday.
Ms Price, 52, set off at 6am and crossed the line at about 6.30pm to win the female over-50s category and finish fourth female overall in the Luchon Aneto 40 mile trail run.
She was one of a team of eight runners representing Harrogate International Partnerships, the charity responsible for Harrogate’s town twinning links around the world.
Luchon, which is among the places twinned with Harrogate, hosts an annual trail run through the French Pyrenees with various distance options.
Competing in the 65 km event, Ms Price set off in darkness in woods but was soon under the non-stop glare of the mountain sun, in temperatures ranging from 35 to 38 degrees centigrade.
There were four water stops but it was so hot she also had to get water from mountain streams to stay hydrated as she climbed over 4,000 metres.
Ms Price, a sports massage therapist who is a member of running club Harrogate Harriers, is one of the best fell and mountain runners in the district but even she found it tough. She said:
“The heat was exhausting. I was a bit shaky at the end.”
Two other members of the Harrogate International Partnerships team also finished on the podium.

Caroline Lambert
Caroline Lambert, a former pupil of St Aidan’s Church of England High School in Harrogate, won the 20km female race in a new course record.
Bianca Dyer was the first over-40s female in the 40km race.
North Leeds Fell Runners‘ athlete Martyn Price, who is married to Helen, was fourth in the 45km men’s race. He said:
“The conditions were absolutely brutal. People were dropping like flies.”
Read more:
1,400 runners set to take part in Harrogate Race for Life
About 1,400 runners are set to take part in the Race for Life on the Stray in Harrogate tomorrow.
Women, men and children will complete 3k, 5k and 10k events to raise money for Cancer Research UK.
There is also an option to take part in Pretty Muddy, a mud-splattered obstacle course. You can enter on the day.
Road closures will be in place on Oatlands Drive and Stray Rein.
The event, which raises funds for cancer research, begins at 9.30am with the 10k. The 5k and 3k start at 11am and the Pretty Muddy events follow.
It costs adults £14.99 to enter and £10 for children.

Molly Fuchs
Molly Fuchs, who is receiving palliative treatment for secondary breast cancer, is a veteran of many Race for Life events.
Although no longer able to take part, the Settle woman urging others to sign up for the event at the Stray.
“I cannot relive the past, only appreciate the things I did and the wonderful memories I still hold close.
“Whether running, jogging or walking, Race for Life could be your stepping stone to other things – go for it and while doing so raise money for a worthwhile cause.”
Read more: