Reader’s photo: Mandarin duck on River Nidd

Amateur photographer Mike White has sent this photo of a Mandarin duck on the River Nidd at Birstwith.

The brightly coloured waterbirds were introduced to the UK from China and escaped captivity. With their elaborate plumage, they are easily distinguishable but are shy creatures who like to hide.

Mr White, who has photographed the birds annually, said he has seen one pair — a male and a female — at Birstwith so far this year.

He also sent us these two photos he took recently at Staveley Nature Reserve.

Send us your photographs of the Harrogate district to contact@thestrayferret.co.uk


Read more:


Harrogate could get county’s first tiger crossing to boost cycling

The first tiger crossing in the county could be built in Harrogate as part of new proposals to encourage cycling and walking.

North Yorkshire Council is consulting on plans to build crossing points on Oatlands Drive and Wetherby Road.

Under the plans, a tiger crossing would be built at the junction of Slingsby Walk and Oatlands Drive and a more traditional toucan crossing would be constructed at the junction of Slingsby Walk and Wetherby Road.

It is hoped having two crossings on Slingsby Walk will encourage more people to use the off-road route across the Stray.

The location of the proposed crossing on Wetherby Road.

The junction of Slingsby Walk and Wetherby Road.

Tiger crossings, also known as parallel crossings, consist of a zebra crossing with segregated zones for cyclists and pedestrians. They are named after similar crossings in Hong Kong that were painted yellow and black.

The one on Oatlands Drive would be sited on a raised table, which would make the crossing more visible and calm traffic. Other traffic calming measures, including a reduction in the speed limit on Oatlands Drive to 20mph, are also in the pipeline.

Both proposals involve the loss of Stray land, which the council would have to compensate for by giving up land elsewhere to become Stray land.

It’s preferred option is land immediately adjacent to the Stray and also to the proposed crossing on Wetherby Road.

The council had previously pledged to have both crossings constructed by the end of this month.

It shelved plans to introduce a one-way system on Oatlands Drive in 2021 after a backlash by residents.


Read more:


Gaza war leads to hate crimes rising across North Yorkshire

There has been a 10% rise in reported hate crimes since last year with the ongoing Gaza war fuelling religious tensions, according to North Yorkshire Council.

Figures published in a council report reveal that in the last three months, there have been 283 hate crimes reported across North Yorkshire and York compared to 256 for the same period last year.

A hate crime is any incident where someone is assaulted or verbally abused because of their race, religion, sexual orientation, disability or if they are transgender.

The report says race remains the most common hate crime, accounting for 55% of all reports to North Yorkshire Police.

It adds that some of these have been related to the Gaza conflict which began on October 7 following the attack by Hamas on Israel.

The police say hate crimes in North Yorkshire most typically occur between midnight and 4am.

There were 14 hate crimes committed against police officers whilst they worked.

The Leeds-based charity Stop Hate UK said:

“We are deeply saddened by the ongoing Israel-Palestine conflict, which has resulted in the loss of innocent lives and the suffering of many. We are committed to fostering understanding, empathy and peace among all communities.

“We stand firmly against any actions that promote hatred, discrimination, or violence. Our thoughts are with all those affected by this conflict and we hope for a swift resolution that brings lasting peace to the region.”

The UN Security Council passed a resolution today calling for an “immediate ceasefire” in Gaza.


Read more:


Primark store manager becomes chair of Harrogate BID

Andrea Thornborrow has succeeded Dan Siddle as chair of Harrogate Business Improvement District.

Harrogate BID, which encourages people to visit the town centre, announced the move as part of a series of changes to its board in a press release today.

Ms Thornborrow, who was previously vice-chair, is store manager of Primark in Harrogate.

The press release said Mr Siddle, the general manager of the Crown Hotel who was appointed Harrogate BID chair in January last year, had stood down due to work commitments.

Ms Thornborrow said:

“Harrogate BID has gone from strength to strength and is making a positive difference to the town centre.

“As a long-standing BID member, I am looking forward to taking on the role of chair and building on the success we have made.”

Sara Ferguson, a director of Caffé Marconi and Lyndsay Snodgrass, marketing manager at estate agents Verity Frearson, have become joint vice-chairs.

Ms Ferguson, a former chair of Harrogate BID, said:

“I am very much looking forward to working with Andrea, Lyndsay and the brilliant BID team to continue the great work they are doing for Harrogate town centre.”

Ms Snodgrass said:

“This is a really exciting time as we enter our second term and I look forward to working with Andrea and Sara to support Matthew and the rest of the BID team to develop and build on the success of term one.”

The Harrogate BID board has seen several departures and new appointments.

Sue Kramer, co-owner of Crown Jewellers of Harrogate, James White, centre manager at the Victoria Shopping Centre, Simon Midgley, owner of Starling Café, Neil Mendoza, general manager at the Studley Hotel and Julian Rudd, head of regeneration at the newly formed North Yorkshire Council, have joined the BID board as directors.

Harrogate BID is funded by town centre businesses to encourage more people to visit.

It launched in 2019 and started its second five-year term in January this year after businesses voted to continue to support it.

Picture: New chair Andrea Thornborrow (centre) with joint vice-chairs Sara Ferguson (left) and Lyndsay Snodgrass.


Read more:


Bettys extends opening hours in Harrogate and York

Bettys has announced its tearooms will stay open later on Fridays and Saturdays in Harrogate and York.

The company reduced its opening hours in 2021 due to staff shortages. You can read the Stray Ferret’s coverage of the issue at the time here.

Many hospitality businesses suffered similar problems after covid.

But in a social media post today, Bettys said it was “thrilled to announce extended Friday and Saturday hours in York and Harrogate”.

From this Saturday, the Harrogate café will open on Saturdays until 7pm and the shop will open until 6pm. On Fridays, the café and shop will open until 6pm. The café opened until 9pm prior to covid.

From this Saturday, the York café and shop will open until 7pm on Saturdays, and until 6pm on Fridays.


Read more:


Sparrowhawk shot dead at nature reserve near Ripon

Police are appealing for information after a sparrowhawk was shot at a nature reserve near Ripon.

According to a statement by North Yorkshire Police today, the bird is believed to have been killed with a pellet gun at Nosterfield Nature Reserve.

Sparrowhawks are classified in the UK as ‘amber’ under the Birds of Conservation Concern, which indicates numbers are in decline.

The bird is believed to have been shot on either Wednesday, March 20 or Thursday, March 21.

The statement said:

“If you saw anyone in the area of the nature reserve with an air rifle or similar weapon please email colin.irvine@northyorkshire.police.uk or call North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 2 and ask for PC Colin Irvine.

“If you wish to remain anonymous you can contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or online at crimestoppers-uk.org.”

Quote NYP reference 12240050719 when passing on information.


Read more:


 

Strong support for new Boroughbridge sports village

A consultation has revealed strong support for plans to create a sports village on the edge of Boroughbridge.

The Stray Ferret revealed last month local gym owner Darren Sadler and Boroughbridge Town Council were behind the scheme.

The 10-acre site at Aldborough Gate would include free to use community facilities, including a games field, a one kilometre running track, a sprint track and a multi-use games areas for team sports such as five-a-side football and netball, as well as a meeting room and a nature reserve.

There would also be a gym and functional strength training centre and a health food café run on a commercial basis by Mr Sadler, a former World’s Strongest Man competitor.

Of the 1,193 consultation responses so far, 93% either agree or strongly agree the facility would improve the health and wellbeing of the residents of Boroughbridge and neighbouring communities.

A total of 84% said physical activities were important to them with a fully equipped gym, exercise classes and outdoor games field generating the most support.

‘One of the biggest things we’ve ever done’

The proposal has been brought forward by Mr Sadler, the town council and Boroughbridge Sports Village, which is a newly formed charity.

The Stray Ferret met Cllr Sean Hynes, the mayor of Boroughbridge and Mr Sadler at his Absolute Fitness gym this week to find out more about the venture.

Mr Sadler is buying land off the town council to fund the commercial side of the operation.

Cllr Hynes said “all money we get from the sale of land will be put back into the project” to create free community facilities. He added:

“It’s one of the biggest things the town council has ever been involved in and we are pleased to have Darren and his team as a partner.

“We are all aware Boroughbridge is doubling in size but there are few places for young people to go.”

The sports village proposal revives previously failed town council plans to build sports facilities on the land, said Cllr Hynes. He added:

“The council is very excited about this. For a small town council it is a massive project and without Darren’s involvement, it would not get off the ground.”

‘We want to create a supergym’

Boroughbridge-born Mr Sadler no longer competes in strongman but over the last 10 years has had phenomenal success in the sport as a promoter.

He started off staging events in car parks and now organises World’s Strongest Man qualifying events under the Giants Live banner that regularly sell out huge arenas worldwide. Many of the biggest names in strongman regularly visit his gym.

His current schedule includes events at the Royal Albert Hall in London and in Las Vegas.

He said Absolute Fitness had outgrown its current site in Roecliffe and a new facility with a full equipped gym, including strength and functional training areas would enable the gym to help more people get fit, especially youngsters.

A map showing the location.

The proposed site

He added:

“We want to create a supergym and make it famous across the country. Every month I’d like to have special guests. I can get all the top strongmen to come, like Hafthor Bjornsson and Eddie Hall, but I want to bring in people from other sports as well.”

Mr Sadler said the extra space would also enable the gym to cater for martial arts, dance and a broader range of fitness classes.

A public consultation event at Boroughbridge Community Library this month.

A public consultation took place at Boroughbridge Community Library this month and people can still take part in the phase one consultation here. A planning application is expected to be submitted to North Yorkshire Council within the next month.

Cllr Hynes said there had already been “positive discussions” with the council about it but with a lengthy planning process ahead, neither party is willing to commit to a timeframe.

Mr Sadler said:

“We don’t want to rush. We want to get it right.”


Read more:


Still no date when work will begin on closed road near Kex Gill

There is still no date for when work will begin to repair the landslip that led to the closure of the A59 at Blubberhouses.

The road, which is the main route between Harrogate and Skipton, closed suddenly on February 2 when a crack appeared on the verge.

The council has said wet weather caused the crack in the landslip-prone area.

However Alistair Young, whose house in Blubberhouses overlooks the closed section of road, has claimed previous landslips occurred about half a mile away at Kex Gill, where the council is working on a £68.8 million road realignment. Mr Young believes the council’s work on the Kex Gill realignment has caused the landslip.

The closed section of road at Blubberhouses.

Seven weeks on from the road being closed, repair work has yet to begin.

Barrie Mason, North Yorkshire Council’s assistant director highways and transportation, parking services, street scene, parks and grounds, gave an update in a video published on the council’s social media channels on Friday.

Mr Mason, who was filmed speaking on the closed road, said:

“We are working hard on a design solution involving sheet piles, which is where we put interlocking sheets of metal into the ground to stabilise the ground and stabilise the road.

“We are working hard to get that design finalised and programmed as soon as possible.

“As soon as possible we will be out on site and getting this road reopened.”


Read more:


Harrogate hospital could face six more months of strikes

Harrogate District Hospital could face a further six months of disruption after junior doctors voted to extend their mandate for strike action.

It’s been over a year since junior doctors began striking over pay and this week 98% of British Medical Association union members backed further walkouts on a turnout of 62%.

Most recently, junior doctors at the Lancaster Park Road hospital staged two separate walk-outs between December 20-23 and January 3-9.

The strikes have had a “draining impact”, according to the boss of Harrogate & District NHS Foundation Trust.

Junior doctors are qualified doctors in clinical training and they make up nearly half of the medical workforce in England.

The BMA says while workload and waiting lists are at record highs, pay has effectively been cut by more than a quarter since 2008.

The union is asking the government for a 35% pay rise, but health ministers have described the demands as unreasonable.

A spokesperson for Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust said the hospital hopes a deal can be reached before future strikes take place.

They said:

“Whilst we respect the decision made by BMA junior doctors to extend their mandate for industrial action, we hope that the BMA and government can have effective discussions which will lead to a solution before further strikes are undertaken.

“Should further industrial action take place we will continue to manage the disruption to ensure our patients are safe during the strike, any impact on patient care is kept to a minimum and emergency services continue to operate as normal.

“We value our staff and know that junior doctors do not want to be striking. We hope a breakthrough can be made soon so that we can continue to focus on delivering high quality care to all those who need it.”


Read more:


Readers’ Letters: ‘Abusive beggars’ and intimidating teens in Harrogate

Readers’ Letters is a weekly column giving you the chance to have your say on issues affecting the Harrogate district. It is an opinion column and does not reflect the views of the Stray Ferret. Send your views to letters@thestrayferret.co.uk.


This letter is in response to the Trading Hell series we ran this week. It followed a three-month investigation into anti-social behaviour and crime in parts of Harrogate.

Congratulations to you for raising this issue.

I don’t have a specific situation or incident to report, but I have noticed a huge increase in what might be called passive aggressive behaviour in town.

The beggars are abusive, the teenagers look at you as if you have encroached on their patch and there is a general feeling that something is about to kick off”. I don’t think I have ever seen a police officer on foot in town over the past five years or so.

But why does it always have to be somebody’s fault other than the perpetrator of the misdemeanour? Sadly, this reflects a breakdown in society as us old timers (I’m in my 60s) comment upon time after time.

Unfortunately, I can only see the situation deteriorating further.

Punishments need to fit crimes and these pariahs of society need to learn that their anti-social behaviour is the road to nowhere.

John Chadwick, Huby


The Kex Gill saga is an ‘absolute farce’

This letter is in response to one man’s frustration over a lack of communication about the ongoing A59 at Kex Gill closure.

I 100% agree with Mr Young. This situation is an absolute farce, it is not a difficult situation to address, nor was it unforeseeable that it would happen.

Surely the project risk assessment should have identified the potential for this type of event and made suitable provision.

It is a huge inconvenience for residents and others who are having to suffer lengthy diversions.

That said, everything relating to this route has been so badly managed for years and, unfortunately, is no surprise to anyone affected.

Tony Sidwell, Ripon


Paul Haslam for mayor is a ‘breath of fresh air’

This letter follows news of former Tory whip councillor Paul Haslam standing for mayor of North Yorkshire. 

It came as a breath of fresh air to read that councillor Paul Haslam has resigned as the Conservative party whip to stand as an Independent candidate for Mayor of North Yorkshire.

It is a position which demands loyalty to all residents of North Yorkshire and not allegiance to a political party, which has gifted the incumbent their salary of £81,300.

It requires broad knowledge of commerce, as well the workings of public services and its politics. It requires the ability to identify and lead a network of talent and not one based on party hierarchy or other organisations..

This is not political party propaganda. I do not belong to a political party and I am a centrist.

I have seen Cllr Haslam at local community meetings and consider him an efficient operator with local interests at heart.

As a capable Independent candidate, who is challenging the existing hierarchy, Cllr Haslam will have my vote.

I hope the electorate fully realise importance of the Mayor of North Yorkshire and that usual voter apathy for local elections does not occur. The election turnout for the retiring Police Commissioner was less than 15%, which means that 85% didn’t care.

The outcome of this election will be more meaningful and it will affect everyone by influencing the many areas of our public services.

Brian Graham, Harrogate


Do you have an opinion on the Harrogate district? Email us at letters@thestrayferret.co.uk. Please include your name and approximate location details. Limit your letters to 350 words. We reserve the right to edit letters.


Read more: