New plans for 146 homes in Harrogate

Plans have been submitted to build 146 homes in Harrogate.

Cumbrian housebuilder Story Homes has applied to North Yorkshire Council for permission to build the homes on land east of Otley Road in Harrogate.

A media release by Story Homes today said the land is allocated for housing in the Harrogate District Local Plan 2014-35, which outlines where development can take place.

The development would be built in partnership with housing association Home Group and 40% of the homes would be classed as affordable.

The scheme would include landscaped open space and a £500,000 community infrastructure levy, which is a charge levied by local authorities on new developments.

The site off Otley Road.

Today’s media statement said:

“The scheme proposes a mix of high quality, high specification homes designed for modern living, with open plan living spaces and enviable kerb appeal.

“Properties will range from one-bedroom apartments to six-bedroom detached homes and will include fully fitted designer kitchens with A-rated appliances, as well as luxurious finishes throughout.”

Hannah Richins, planning manager for Story Homes North West said the scheme would “introduce our beautifully crafted homes into a new housing market”.

Home Group, under its brand Persona Homes, has already delivered over 220 homes on Skipton Road in Harrogate.

Kitson Keen, director of development at Home Group said:

“Story Homes deliver high quality properties which will enhance the availability of quality affordable homes in Harrogate.”


Read more:


 

Harrogate hospital braced for winter junior doctors strikes

Harrogate District Hospital is braced for two sets of winter strike action as junior doctors stage further walkouts.

Members of the British Medical Association and the Hospital Consultants and Specialists Association announced the industrial action amid a dispute over pay with government.

The latest round of walkouts will take place from 7am on Wednesday, December 20, until 7am on Saturday, December 23 for BMA members.

However, HCSA members will stop strikes a day earlier on 7am Friday, December 22.

Meanwhile, a further walkout from the BMA will take place in the new year on Wednesday, January 3, until 7am on Tuesday, January 9.

Dr Robert Laurenson and Dr Vivek Trivedi, BMA junior doctors committee co-chairs, said:

“We have been clear from the outset of these talks that we needed to move at pace and if we did not have a credible offer, we would be forced to call strikes. After five weeks of intense talks, the government was unable to present a credible offer on pay by the deadline. 

“Instead, we were offered an additional 3%, unevenly spread across doctors’ grades, which would still amount to pay cuts for many doctors this year. It is clear the government is still not prepared to address the real-terms pay cut doctors have experienced since 2008.”

Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust said the industrial action is likely to impact on services and some appointments and elective surgery will be cancelled.

However, hospital officials said patients should continue to attend appointments unless contacted to reschedule.

A statement from the trust said:

“We understand this may cause our patients and their families to worry about how services will be delivered during this period. The safety of our patients is our primary concern and we have developed plans for the proposed action and its impact on our services, patients and staff. We are working hard to prioritise resources to protect emergency treatment, critical care, neonatal care, maternity, and trauma, and ensure we prioritise patients who have waited the longest for elective care and cancer surgery.

“Patients should continue to attend appointments as planned unless contacted to reschedule. We will only reschedule appointments and procedures where necessary and any postponed appointments will be re-arranged as a priority. We appreciate this situation is frustrating for patients affected and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

“Regardless of any strike action taking place, it is important to know that people with life-threatening or severe illnesses or injuries should continue to dial 999 and come forward as normal.”


Read more:


 

£15m bid to transform Harrogate’s Grove House into care home approved

A £15 million transformation of Harrogate’s Grove House into a major new care home and community facility has finally been approved.

Grove House, a grade two listed building opposite the fire station on Skipton Road, was the home of Victorian inventor, philanthropist and mayor Samson Fox.

It was later used as a hospital during the First World War and as the headquarters of the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes.

Harrogate’s Graeme Lee, chief executive of Springfield Healthcare, bought the six-acre site from the Buffaloes for more than £3m in 2017.

Grove House

Samson Fox lived at Grove House.

Plans were submitted five years ago to create what Mr Lee calls “the holy grail of care”, combining high quality facilities for residents with extensive community use.

Now, after a lengthy planning process, North Yorkshire Council has published a decision notice approving the application, subject to conditions.

It means Grove House can undergo extensive conversion work to create a care home consisting of 24 flats. In addition, a 62-bed care home and eight houses providing supported living for over-65s will be built on land alongside Grove House.

How the site will look.

An aerial view of the site.

Grove House, which is hidden from traffic on Skipton Road, has stood derelict for years.

Talking about the project last year, Mr Lee said schoolchildren from nearby Grove Road Community Primary School will be invited to participate in activities alongside residents and use the gardens for study and play, and the site would also host an annual garden party for the community.

He said it would become “one of the best examples of developing relationships between older people and young people in the UK”.

Mr Lee’s company already owns seven care homes, including Harcourt Gardens in Harrogate,


Read more:


 

Your Harrogate owners have multiplex licence revoked by Ofcom

The company that owns Your Harrogate radio station has had its small-scale DAB multiplex licence for Wetherby and Harrogate revoked after mounting transmission costs made the venture economically unviable. 

But Your Harrogate will continue to broadcast on the local DAB multiplex for North Yorkshire, with no disruption for listeners. 

Nick Hancock, who is content director and one of the co-owners of Your Harrogate, told the Stray Ferret: 

“This is really a back-end issue. It’s a bit like renting a house for ages and then having the chance to buy it. The small-scale DAB multiplex licence for Wetherby and Harrogate would have meant we owned it. 

“The local DAB multiplex actually has better signal strength and better coverage, so the listener won’t notice any difference. It was just an ownership issue.” 

The regulator, Ofcom, awarded the licence in 2022 to Wetherby and Harrogate Local DAB Limited, which is owned by Your Harrogate directors Nick Hancock and Adam Daniel, plus Alan Everard from Wetherby Community Radio and Mark Oldfield, chairman of Harrogate Hospital Radio.

The company, which operates as Your Harrogate, said it had £25,000 set aside to launch the multiplex. In its application it said: 

“Our transmission proposal is one that is realistic, compliant, and economically viable.” 

Small-scale DAB multiplex licences cost just £500 per year, as well as a non-refundable £500 application fee. But other expenses, described by Mr Hancock as “transmission costs”, escalated in the intervening period, ultimately making the project unviable. 

Ofcom may revoke a licence if it believes a service will not launch within 18 months of an award, and after it heard Your Harrogate could not continue with its plans, it exercised this option.

In a statement, it said it would consider re-advertising the Wetherby and Harrogate multiplex licence “should we receive any expressions of interest”.

But Mr Hancock said:

“We were the only people who applied for the licence in the first place, so I’d think it’d be unlikely Ofcom will advertise it again, to be honest.”

Your Harrogate launched in February 2021 to fill the gap in local radio left by Stray FM, where Mr Hancock had been a well-known presenter. Stray, which had covered the district since 1994, rebranded when owner Bauer Media announced it was making it part of the national network Greatest Hits Radio.

Digital audio broadcasting (DAB) radio allows the bundling of a number of radio stations together in a multiplex. Each multiplex can then be broadcast using an individual frequency from a transmitter. A DAB radio can then single out each radio service from the multiplex for the listener. 

This bundling into multiplexes allows for more radio stations and requires less power to broadcast, making it more cost-effective. But it can also give lower-quality sound and the signal can drop out more frequently.


Read more:


 

Villagers concerned about impact of new car park charges at Weeton Station

The introduction of parking charges at Weeton Station is causing concern about the impact on nearby roads.

Weeton is one of 10 stations where Northern Railway announced new parking charges this week.

Motorists now have to pay 50p for up to two hours or £2 per day between 8am and 4pm to park at the station.

This is prompting some drivers to park on streets near the station to avoid the charge.

David Chalmers, the chairman of Weeton Parish Council, said:

“A couple of people have highlighted to the parish council concerns over the likely impact the recent introduction of charges to park at Weeton station will have on the roads in the immediate area.

“Disappointingly Northern Rail did not notify us of the pending changes although given the lack of constructive engagement on other matters such as penalty fares I am unsurprised.”

A Northern spokesperson said:

“We consulted North Yorkshire County Council and rail officers in advance of charges going in and we also advised customers about the changes in advance by using posters at the station, our website and on the National Rail website.

“We’re introducing charges at these locations to ensure that our car parking facilities remain available for rail users only, as well as to align these stations with our other locations that saw the introduction of charges in 2022.”

The spokesperson also said the increase was introduced by the government, not Northern.

Mr Chalmers also said the extra traffic parked on streets could make it difficult for emergency services vehicles to get around the village, and faded yellow lines on the road further exacerbated problems.

He said:

“I am aware that a couple of weeks ago there were access issues for an oil tanker, a vehicle which is of similar size to a fire engine.

“This has been raised to North Yorkshire Council on multiple occasions without any meaningful feedback on whether they plan to have the lines repainted.”

Melisa Burnham, the council’s highways area manager, said:

“The local highways team are aware of the issue and there is an order in place to refresh the yellow lining 55 metres either side of the carriageway.

“We will be liaising with the parish council and local councillors regarding the works and will review all communications about this issue.”

Weeton is situated on the line between Harrogate and Leeds.


Read more


 

Business Breakfast: Growth hub hosts business support event at Ripon Cathedral

Excellence deserves to be recognised and celebrated. The 2024 Stray Ferret Business Awards is the event to put your business, people or great initiative in the spotlight!

Make the most of your efforts by reading our top 10 tips for writing your submission for success.

Entries close on January 19, 2024.


York and North Yorkshire Growth Hub hosted an event for businesses involved in its peer to peer support group this week.

Held at Ripon Cathedral, business owners heard from speakers Jack Sutcliffe, chief executive of Power Sheds, and military veteran, Goose Cryer MC.

The event was held as part of the culmination of a six-week programme which aimed to increase business growth, productivity and sustainability and safeguard jobs

Richard Hughes, owner of Manchega Tapas restaurant in Ripon, said:

“All participants were ultimately given the gift of belief in their ability and potential.

“This course can truly revolutionise collaborative working and drive business and economic development locally.”

Further peer to peer support groups are set to be held by the growth hub in January and February. Businesses can sign up here.

[the_ad id=”179874″] 

Shaun Rankin at Grantley Hall included in restaurant guide

Shaun Rankin at Grantley Hall has been included in the Harden’s Top 100 UK Restaurants for 2024.

The fine dining restaurant near Ripon has been ranked at 75th in the guide.

Harden’s is a renowned guide in the culinary industry and compiled the list annually.

Chef Patron, Shaun Rankin, said:

“It’s truly an honour for Shaun Rankin at Grantley Hall to be acknowledged in the Harden’s Top 100.

“This is the restaurant’s first feature in the list and is a source of great pride for both the team and I, particularly as the list is based on user-sourced ratings and reviews. It only further encourages us to continue to develop our offering of exceptional culinary experiences for our guests.”

 


Read more:


 

Harrogate’s Crimple bought by Weetons food hall owner

The Stray Ferret understands that the owner of Harrogate firm Weetons has bought Crimple, the garden centre, food hall and gift shop in Pannal.

Crimple underwent a £6 million refurbishment and rebranding in 2021. 

It’s not known how much the TGH Property Group, which is owned by Tim Whitworth, has paid to acquire Crimple.

Weetons on West Park

TGH, which is based at Bramham, near Wetherby, also owns Weetons, whose flagship Harrogate food hall on West Park opened 20 years ago.

Last year it also began operating in Leeds.

We will bring further details of this story when available.


Read More:


 

Harrogate magic show venue approved — subject to noise plan

A planning application to convert a former Harrogate music studio into a magic show venue has been approved — subject to conditions.

Magician Neil Bradley-Smith applied to change the use of Blue Sky Music Studio on Mayfield Grove in September.

He told the Stray Ferret in October he proposed to turn the site into a “speakeasy-style” entertainment venue to perform live shows, adding:

“I’d like to partition the venue and make the first room an entirely interactive magic show.

“For example, I’d have a deck of cards stuck to the wall which would then be used in the show later on.

“Then, the other half of the venue would become a 1920s-style parlour where I’d perform traditional card tricks.”

The application was for the change of use from retail to sui generis, which means the use of the venue does not fall into a particular category due to it being unusual.

During consultation, an environmental health officer proposed a condition for controlling noise.

In its decision notice, published yesterday, North Yorkshire Council granted planning permission subject to the development not taking place “until a scheme has been submitted to and agreed in writing by the local planning authority that specifies the provisions that will be implemented for the control of noise emanating from the site”.

The council said the measure was being taken to “protect the amenity of the locality, especially for people living and/or working nearby.”

The Stray Ferret contacted Neil Bradley-Smith for a response to the decision, but he did not respond by the time of publication.


Read more:


 

Harrogate charity warns young people’s mental health crisis reaching ‘epidemic proportions’

A Harrogate charity has warned young people are facing a mental health crisis of “epidemic proportions”.

Wellspring Therapy and Training, which celebrated its 20th anniversary in November, offers affordable counselling to local people.

The charity said it faced the highest demand ever for services from young people.

Emily Fullarton, Wellspring’s executive director, said:

“There are a number of reasons, some interlinked, for this increase in demand.

“The pandemic is one, of course, as is the relentless pressure of social media and exams.

“The cost-of-living crisis has meant that many families are struggling to make ends meet and this has a knock-on effect on family dynamics and the atmosphere at home.”

Just over a third of children with a diagnosable mental health condition receive NHS treatment.

Fullarton commented:

“If this was the case for child cancer treatment there would be outrage.

“As suicide is the leading cause of death after cancer and accidental injury in children and young people, we should be taking this statistic far more seriously.”

The charity has found it difficult to increase the number of sessions on offer because of staff and funding shortages.

However, Wellspring plans to double the number of available sessions by starting a professional training course next year.

Counsellors on the course will learn how to specialise their services for young people.


Read more:


Wellspring was founded in 2003 and operates in Starbeck.

The weekly session fee depends on how much you can afford.

Wellspring executive director Emily Fullarton with patron Rt Rev Nick Baines, Bishop of Leeds.

Information on applying for counselling at Wellspring can also be found on their website.

If you are going through a hard time, you can call Samaritans for free 24 hours a day on 116 123, or email jo@samaritans.org.

Children going through a difficult time can call Childline for free on 0800 1111.

Labour Party selects candidate to stand for North Yorkshire mayor

The Labour Party has selected York businessman David Skaith as its candidate for the Mayor of York and North Yorkshire.

Mr Skaith owns Winstons of York clothing shop and spent three years as chair of York High Street Forum. He was also secretary of IndieYork, an organisation that promotes independent businesses.

He lives in the village of Wheldrake near York with his wife and two children.

The mayor will oversee a significant budget for York and North Yorkshire covering areas such as transport, education and housing.

The role will also take on the powers of police and crime commissioner. An election is expected to be held for the position in May 2024.

Following his selection, Mr Skaith said:

“It is an honour to be selected as Labour’s candidate for North Yorkshire Mayor. We need the first ever Mayor of North Yorkshire to be a strong voice on the side of local residents. I am passionate about growing our local economy through strong industry and business, restoring the reliable transport connections we desperately need and delivering on the priorities of our communities here in North Yorkshire.

“We have been taken for granted by the Conservatives for too long, and our region is being left behind as a result. We have so much to offer, and as North Yorkshire’s Mayor I will always fight for what we deserve.”

The Conservatives Party has selected North Yorkshire councillor Keane Duncan as its candidate for the position. Cllr Duncan is also the executive councillor for highways on the authority.

Meanwhile, Pateley Bridge businessman Keith Tordoff has announced he will stand as an independent candidate for mayor.

North Yorkshire councillor, Kevin Foster, will contest the election for the Green Party.


Read more: