Boy, 17, electronically tagged after Harrogate crime spree

A teenager has been sentenced to an electronically monitored curfew for breaching a court order issued after committing a string of offences in Harrogate.

The 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared before Harrogate Youth Court on March 3 after failing to comply with an order issued in August last year.

The court made the order after the teenager was charged with numerous offences in Harrogate.

These included carrying a knife and assault on Forest Lane, stealing £56 worth of watches from TK Maxx in Victoria Shopping Centre and stealing a bike from Swarcliffe Road in August 2022.

He also faced charges on theft of a Berghaus hoodie from Blacks on Station Parade, assault on Hookstone Drive and knowingly being carried on a stolen Piaggio Zip scooter in Harrogate on December 3, 2022.

The 17-year-old was also charged with stealing mountain bikes from St Aidan’s Church of England High School in October last year.


Read more:


As a result of the offences, the court imposed a new youth rehabilitation order on the teenager.

It requires him to abide by a curfew at his home address in Skipton for two months, which will be electronically monitored.

He was also ordered not to enter St Aidan’s for three months.

Break-in forces closure of One Stop in Bilton

The One Stop shop on Crab Lane in Bilton was forced to close this morning after a break-in.

Store manager Adam Crawford said would-be thieves smashed the front door at about 2am but left empty-handed after activating security fog designed to disorientate intruders.

Speaking to the Stray Ferret at 11.30am, Mr Crawford said crime scene detectives had just left and he expected the store to reopen in about an hour. The door has been boarded up.

The convenience store, which includes a post office, serves a wide range of customers in Bilton and Knox.

One Stop, which is part of Tesco, has over 1,000 stores in the UK.


Read more:


 

Inquest opens into death of Seb Mitchell in Harrogate

The inquest of a young Harrogate man who died after an incident on Claro Road was opened this morning.

Sebastian Henry Mitchell, known as Seb, was found with injuries at a property in the early hours of Sunday, February 19.

The inquest, held in Northallerton, heard he had been taken to Harrogate District Hospital for emergency treatment, before being transferred to Leeds General Infirmary for cardiac surgery.

Mr Mitchell, who would have turned 18 on February 28, died aged 17 on Tuesday, February 21 at LGI.

Opening the inquest, North Yorkshire coroner Jon Heath said the provisional cause of death was a stab wound to the chest, causing a loss of blood and oxygen to the brain.

Mr Heath adjourned the inquest to a date yet to be fixed, while further investigations are carried out and reports are prepared.

Meanwhile, a 16-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is due to appear in court next week in relation to the incident. The teenager was initially remanded into youth custody at York Magistrates Court, is expected to appear at Leeds Crown Court on Tuesday.


Read more:


 

Man fined £872 for breaching covid lockdown rules in Harrogate

A man has been fined for breaching coronavirus regulations in Harrogate during the third national lockdown two years ago.

Thomas Boston, 33, initially denied a charge of having two or more people in a property on Coppice Drive, Harrogate, on the evening of February 27, 2021.

England was placed into a third lockdown on January 5, 2021.

Police charged Boston with having six people in his flat after responding to reports of breaches of the coronavirus regulations.

At a hearing at Harrogate Magistrates Court yesterday, the court heard Boston, who gave his address as Ripley Road, Knaresborough, had changed his plea to guilty.

Magistrates fined him £872.


Read more:


 

Harrogate Sea Cadets hold first annual awards night after covid

Harrogate’s Sea Cadet unit held its first annual awards night since the covid pandemic.

The event at the Assembly room at Harrogate Ladies College saw awards, badges and qualifications handed out to current cadets.

The Harrogate unit, called T.S Cleopatra, closed for much of the pandemic although a lot of the instruction was done online. It has since resumed sailing, rowing, band practice, catering, marine engineering and drill practice.

Its patron, the Mayor of Harrogate Councillor Victoria Oldham, presented many of the prizes as did special guest Rear Admiral Edward Ahlgren O.B.E (Commander Operations in the Royal Navy) whose 10 year old son, Harry, has just joined the unit.

Rear Admiral Ahlgren,who was a cadet himself in 1989, said:

“I was enormously honoured to present awards and promotions to such an impressive and enthusiastic group of Sea Cadets whose energy and commitment are unrivalled.”


Read More:


There was a 12 year award for the chairman, Michael Langford,  who started volunteering in 2011 and a prestigious Lord Lieutenant’s Certificate awarded to Mike Roberts who retired as a volunteer after 30 years as Treasurer.

The unit’s commanding officer Lt Dan Wilding said:

“The cadets have been amazingly resilient and loyal to the unit over the 2 years of Covid restrictions and we are glad to reward them with a night like this.

“Sea Cadets offers so many opportunities to both adults and young people. It is important to remember that we are an independent charity that relies on volunteers in the local community to help make a positive different to the lives of so many young people in your area. If you think you could help us, please get in touch. Likewise, if you are between the ages of 10 and 18 and are interested in becoming a Sea Cadet, we would love to hear from you.”

Harrogate’s T.S Cleopatra is part of the national charity Sea Cadets which operates across the UK with 14,000 young people between 10 and 18, to help them “see the world with confidence, gained through the challenge of nautical adventure and a Royal Navy ethos”.

The unit parades on Tuesday and Friday evenings and meets at 6 Springfield Mews. click here for more details.

 

Business Breakfast: New Diploma qualification launched by Yorkshire School of Garden Design

It’s time to join the Stray Ferret Business Club. The third in our series of networking events in association with The Coach and Horses in Harrogate is a lunch event on March 30 from 12.30pm.

Don’t miss out on this chance to network with businesses from across the Harrogate district. Get your tickets by clicking or tapping here.


The Yorkshire School of Garden Design is to offer a new Diploma in Planting Design.

The year-long Diploma will be launched at the school’s Spring Open Day this Saturday and is an opportunity for those with a passion for plants to explore a career in garden design.

The school at Harewood House was launched less than a year ago and specialises in teaching professionals the art of garden design.

The course will cover topics ranging from plant taxonomy, through the history of horticulture in design, to the art and science of designing plants in a wide range of settings.

Yorkshire School of Garden Design founder Alistair Baldwin said:

“Our new diploma is the perfect opportunity for budding designers, amateur gardeners, professionals and all those passionate about the fundamentals of planting design.”

“The course will provide a careful blend of creativity, design principles, botany and taxonomy, the sociability of plants in sustainable communities, and insights into the work of the world’s leading practitioners in the world of planting design.

“Our proximity to many of Yorkshire’s finest gardens, landscapes and plant collections, not to mention the glorious gardens at Harewood, will also provide unrivalled opportunities to expand the learning process. Throughout the twelve months, our students will be encouraged to explore and gain first hand insight from our surroundings in the company of experts, supplemented by trips out to first class regional gardens and a study tour in the south of England.”


Read More:


A partner at Jones Myers has been named ‘Lawyer of the Year’ in Northern Powerhouse Awards.

Kate Banerjee won the award in the Private Client category.  Judges selected Kate, who heads the Harrogate firm’s internationally renowned children’s department, from a shortlist of eleven lawyers across the North of England.

With almost three decades of experience in children law, Kate has expertise in international child abduction. Her specialisms include contact, residence, and adoption.

Kate said:

I am proud and honoured to receive this prestigious recognition which is attributable to the commitment of our highly experienced and respected team.

“An enormous and heartfelt ‘thank you’ to my colleagues who consistently provide the best bespoke solutions for our valued clients.”      

Kate Banerjee, partner at Jones Myers Solicitors, with her award 

‘We will carry him in our hearts forever’ — family’s tribute to Harrogate teen Seb Mitchell

The grieving family of 17-year-old Seb Mitchell, who died following an incident in Harrogate, have issued a photograph and a tribute to their ‘beautiful, funny, talented boy’.

Harrogate Grammar School student Seb died in hospital on February 21 following the incident on Claro Road two days earlier.

A 16-year-old boy has been charged in connection with the incident and is due to appear in court again in the near future, North Yorkshire Police said in a statement today.

The police statement included the family’s tribute, which said:

“Seb was our beautiful, funny, talented boy.

“There are no words to describe how we feel now that he has been so cruelly taken from us.

“We will carry him in our hearts forever.”

Police social media plea 

North Yorkshire Police also issued a plea urging people not to speculate on the incident.

“We are aware of social media posts naming the boy who has been charged and also speculating on the circumstances of Seb’s death.

“It is really important that nobody does this.

“This is because once someone has been charged with an offence, it is illegal to publish anything that could influence a jury and affect a person’s right to a fair trial. This includes claiming to know what happened or speculating about the circumstances of his death. Publishing includes uploading posts and comments to social media.

“Also, suspects who are under the age of 18 have anonymity in law. Therefore it is illegal to name them on social media as the suspect in a case.

“We would therefore strongly urge anyone who has posted comments or photos naming the suspect in the case or speculated about the circumstances, to remove them urgently.”


Read more:


 

Knaresborough’s King James’ School rated ‘good’ by Ofsted

King James’ School in Knaresborough has been rated ‘good’ by Ofsted in a report published today.

Government inspectors visited the 1,575-pupil school for the first time in six years on January 10 this year.

They described it as a “caring environment where pupils learn well” with “a strong focus on ensuring that everyone feels welcome”.

The report says the “vast majority of pupils are keen and engage confidently in their learning” and bullying is rare.

It adds the school, which dates back to 1616, supports children with special educational needs “extremely well”, enables sixth form students to “flourish” and organises “a rich range of extra-curricular visits”.

Staff are praised for their “excellent subject knowledge” and safeguarding is described as “effective”.

Reading concerns

However, the report says the school provides “insufficient opportunities for pupils to engage meaningfully with the world of work” and “pupils who struggle with reading do not receive effective interventions routinely” and is urged to improve in these areas.

This was King James’ School’s second ungraded inspection since Ofsted judged the school to be good in its last full inspection in December 2011.

Schools graded ‘good’ are usually visited once every four years to confirm that the school remains good. This is called an ungraded inspection.

King James’ School, which has 242 sixth form students, is federated with Boroughbridge High School.


Read more:


 

Knaresborough’s Riverside Cafe owners bid farewell after 13 years

The owners of Knaresborough’s Riverside Cafe have sold the business after 13 years.

The independent cafe, situated under cliffs alongside the River Nidd on Waterside, is a favourite haunt for numerous tourists and cyclists, as well as local people.

Partners Phil Smith and Tim O’Hara will serve their last coffee and cake as owners tomorrow before Michael and Louise Bland, who own Vivido Bar and Restaurant on Cheltenham Crescent in Harrogate, take over.

The cafe is expected to close for a week before reopening, with the previous owners helping out for a short period.

Mr Smith said it felt like the right time to go, adding:

“We had no experience in catering when we took over but we have worked hard and learned by our mistakes to make it a successful business.

“It’s a beautiful place to work, overlooking the viaduct, and we have made lifelong friends.

“But it’s grown and grown and has become a bit of a monster.”

Mr Smith said regular customers from Wakefield, York and Lincoln were due to visit today to bid farewell and he expected tomorrow to be emotional.

But he said Mr and Mrs Bland would “breathe new life” into the business and he and Mr O’Hara would support them before taking life easier. The six staff will stay on under the new owners.


Read more:


Ms Bland, who lives in Leeds, said she and her husband had been friends with Mr Smith and Mr O’Hara for years and they “fell in love with the place” when they visited and later jokingly said they would like first refusal if the cafe ever came up for sale.

Vivido celebrated its fourth anniversary last week and Ms Bland, who lives in Leeds, said the Italian and Mediterranean venue was now running well and she and her husband were excited by the prospect of operating daytime and nighttime businesses.

She said she hoped to reopen the cafe next week but no date has yet been finalised. Ms Bland said:

“It’s a successful business so the plan is not to change too much. We need to have a little time to see how things work and we will only change things if we feel it can be improved.”

Harrogate residents face prospect of new £60 council tax charge

Creating a Harrogate town council could require 35,000 households to pay an additional council tax charge of between £40 and £60, it was revealed today.

Under proposals put forward, elections would take place on May 2 next year to elect 19 councillors in 10 wards.

People living in the wards would face an additional charge on their annual council tax bills to pay for the new local authority.

North Yorkshire County Council today opened a second round of consultation on the proposals, which discussed how much council taxpayers would pay. It said:

“It is not possible to state an exact figure at this stage, but it is anticipated the amount could be in the region of £40 to £60 per year for a Band D property. This amount could give a total precept budget in the range of £1m to £1.6m.”

Knaresborough Town Council and Ripon Town Council currently levy charges on households of £25.27 and £70.77 respectively for a Band D property.

The county council said the precept “will need to be sufficient to cover the set-up costs, administration and running costs and costs of service delivery for future years”. It adds:

“It is anticipated that there would be a surplus in year one, which would go to reserves for use in future years and enable the parish to begin on a secure financial footing.”

A total of 75% favoured setting up a Harrogate town council in last year’s first consultation but only 1,250 homes — 3.5% of those affected — responded. The low response rate triggered concerns about the validity of the response.

Harrogate and Scarborough are the only parts of the county not to have a parish or town council.

The abolition of Harrogate Borough Council at the end of the month has led to calls to set up a town council to ensure local views are heard. But others say the cost will not be worth the limited power available the town council – which would have no more authority than a parish council.

The areas in Harrogate which would fall under the new town council.

The blue areas face an additional charge.

The consultation says the names of the 10 wards of the new council be the same as the names of the existing county divisions, with the exception of the unparished part of the Oatlands and Pannal division, which will be known as Oatlands ward; and the unparished part of the Killinghall, Hampsthwaite and Saltergate division, which will be known as Saltergate ward. The ward names to be:

Bilton and Nidd Gorge
Bilton Grange and New Park
Coppice Valley and Duchy
Fairfax and Starbeck
Harlow and St Georges

High Harrogate and Kingsley
Oatlands
Saltergate
Stray, Woodlands and Hookstone
Valley Gardens and Central Harrogate

Councillor Greg White, the county council’s executive member for stronger communities, said:

“Town and parish councils give residents the ability to help to determine how the places in which they live look and feel. The benefits can be seen across our communities every day, so I urge people in Scarborough and Harrogate to seize the opportunity this consultation offers to have a say in shaping local empowerment where they live.”


Read more:


‘Strong support for proposals’

Cllr David Chance, the county council’s executive member for corporate services, said:

“Having received strong support in the initial consultation for the creation of new parishes and councils to serve them, we are keen to hear views from as many residents as possible on the detailed proposals we are now putting forward.

“If you took part in the first consultation, please share your views again on these detailed proposals. This is a separate consultation, so please make sure your views on the proposals are taken into account by completing the survey.”

You can take part in the consultation, which runs until Friday, May 5, here.

Or you can request a paper copy of the survey by calling 01609 536400 between 9.30am and 4.30pm, Monday to Friday, or emailing cgr@northyorks.gov.uk.