Number of sexual assault complaints against North Yorkshire Police officers revealedEx-Harrogate police officer banned from force after sexual assault hearingEx-Harrogate police officer faces sexual assault hearingHarrogate police officer sacked after ‘misleading’ the force

A Harrogate police officer has been sacked after misleading North Yorkshire Police during its vetting process.

Christopher Hudson faced four allegations at a misconduct hearing in Northallerton last week.

Mr Hudson was alleged to have acted dishonestly, including failing to declare he was friends with a convicted criminal and failing to notify the force he had been involved in a criminal investigation in 2006.

Lisa Winward, chief constable at North Yorkshire Police, said the misconduct had the potential to seriously affect the “the trust and the confidence in the service”.

Misleading the force

The 32-year-old, who had previously been suspended following an allegation of sexual assault in Harrogate for which he was later acquitted, had first applied to North Yorkshire Police in November 2017.

He completed a vetting application on February 27, 2018.

However, the hearing, which was overseen by chief constable Lisa Winward, found Mr Hudson had been dishonest and misleading during the process.

He failed to declare he was associated with convicted criminal Richard Calvert, who he had visited on seven separate occasions at HMP Wealstun near Wetherby between June 2012 and October 2014.

Calvert was jailed for six years for robbery in April 2012.

Mr Hudson, who is from Huddersfield but had been based in Harrogate, had claimed Calvert was “purely someone whom I know by name from my youth”.

However, the hearing found he had visited him on multiple occasions and was arrested alongside him for arson.

It also found that Mr Hudson had called Calvert to wish him happy birthday during an 18-minute phone call.

The hearing found Mr Hudson failed to supply the correct information about being arrested for arson and criminal damage in 2006.


Read more:


In a previous application for a PCSO role to West Yorkshire Police in 2016, Mr Hudson said he had been arrested at the age of 14 for “playing football on private property” and was later released.

Officers at the force then confirmed he was arrested for both criminal damage and arson in 2006 after speaking to Mr Hudson.

A year later in his application to North Yorkshire Police, he only declared that he gave a statement to West Yorkshire Police over “an arson in my neighbourhood”. He failed to declare his arrest for criminal damage and arson.

Meanwhile, the hearing found he also failed to declare he had four siblings. Instead, he named one “half sister” during the application.

Mr Hudson  also failed to declare he had two county court judgements against him. In his application, he only declared one.

Dishonest behaviour could be repeated

Lisa Winward

Chief constable Lisa Winward

In her decision notice, chief constable Winward said the force had “no confidence” Mr Hudson’s dishonest behaviour would not be repeated.

She said:

“There is no confidence that the officer’s dishonest behaviour would not be repeated in the future given the multiple opportunities during this investigation for him to offer a truthful explanation for his actions. Indeed, he appears to have continued to embellish events into further untruths.

“Therefore, the only sanction appropriate in this case is dismissal without notice and the officer will be placed on the barred list.”

Ms Winward added:

“I also bear in mind that the misconduct of a single officer can tarnish the reputation of a force and the service as a whole and undermine the trust and confidence that members of the public have in North Yorkshire Police. 

“I bear in mind that should the public feel that improper behaviour on the part of police officers is left unchecked and they are not held accountable for it in a suitable manner, then public confidence in the police, and North Yorkshire Police in particular, will be eroded.”

Mr Hudson was dismissed from the force without notice.

Police officer cleared of sexual assault in Harrogate

A police officer has been found not guilty of sexually assaulting a woman at a cemetery in Harrogate.

Christopher Hudson, 32, a Harrogate police constable, was accused of assaulting the woman in a car park at Stonefall Cemetery on Wetherby Road.

However, following a trial at Leeds Crown Court, a jury today unanimously acquitted Mr Hudson of the allegation.

The prosecution had alleged that Mr Hudson had stroked the woman on the back of the neck and ear and “pulled her…towards him” before kissing her.

Prosecuting barrister Gerald Hendron alleged that Mr Hudson then took hold of her hand and placed it on an intimate part of his body despite her telling him “no” repeatedly.

He alleged that Mr Hudson then put his hand on the woman’s inner thigh and that she was “shocked and confused”.

Mr Hendron said the woman had sought help from a counsellor about stress which was brought on by the alleged incident in February 2021.

‘Inconsistencies’

However, defence barrister Rebecca Hadgett said there were “inconsistencies” in the woman’s account of events and that Mr Hudson “never touched her in the way she alleges”.

Mr Hudson, of Hollin Terrace, Huddersfield, was arrested in March 2021 when he denied sexually assaulting the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons.

He was suspended from his job pending the outcome of the trial.

Mr Hudson, who worked for West Yorkshire Police before joining the North Yorkshire force in 2020, walked free from the dock when the jury returned its verdict a short time after retiring to deliberate.


Read more:


 

Harrogate police officer sexually assaulted woman while on duty, trial hears

A Harrogate police officer sexually assaulted a woman at a cemetery in Harrogate while he was on duty, it’s alleged.

Christopher Hudson, 32, assaulted the woman in a car park at Stonefall Cemetery on Wetherby Road, the prosecution told a jury at Leeds Crown Court.

Prosecuting barrister Gerald Hendron said Hudson, who was serving as a police constable based at Harrogate Police Station at the time of the alleged incident, stroked the woman on the back of the neck and ear and “pulled her…towards him”.

He then kissed her, but she repeatedly told him “No”. 

Mr Hendron added:

“She started to panic but he continued.

“He took hold of her hand and moved it on (an intimate part of his body).

“The defendant had his hand (near an intimate part of her body) and touched her there.”

She later told friends about what happened and how “shocked and confused” she had been during and after the incident.

Mr Hendron said:

“She feared she would not be believed.”


Read more:


She sought help from a counsellor about stress which was brought on by the alleged incident in February 2021. 

Hudson, of Hollin Terrace, Huddersfield, was arrested in March of that year when he denied sexually assaulting the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons.

He denies one count of sexual assault.

The trial continues. 

Harrogate police officer pleads not guilty to alleged sexual assault

A Harrogate police officer has pleaded not guilty after being charged with sexually assaulting a woman while on duty.

Christopher Ryan Hudson, 31, appeared before Leeds Crown Court for a preliminary hearing today where he entered his plea.

The alleged offence is said to have taken place at Stonefall Cemetery on Wetherby Road, Harrogate, on February 8.

He is accused of sexually touching the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, while he was on duty.


Read more:


Mr Hudson, of Hollin Terrace, Huddersfield, spoke to confirm his name and that he understood his bail conditions, which include no contact with the alleged victim.

Judge Simon Batiste imposed the new conditions before adjourning the case for a trial on February 20, 2023. He blamed the delay on a “considerable backlog in the courts”.

North Yorkshire Police said in a statement that Mr Hudson was based in Harrogate at the time of the allegation and was currently suspended.

Harrogate police officer denies sexual assault while on duty

A Harrogate police officer appeared in court today charged with sexually assaulting a woman.

Christopher Ryan Hudson, 30, who was suspended by North Yorkshire Police after the allegation was made, appeared at York Magistrates’ Court on Thursday when he denied one count of sexual assault.

The alleged offence is said to have occurred at Stonefall Cemetery on Wetherby Road, Harrogate, on February 8.

Hudson, who was based in the Harrogate police division at the time of the alleged offence, was dressed in a smart black suit, white shirt and tie when he appeared before district judge Adrian Lower.

He is accused of sexually touching the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, during working hours and in a “relatively remote location”.

Prosecutor Charles Macrae said it was alleged that Mr Hudson sexually touched the woman while she “repeatedly told him she didn’t want him to”. Mr Macrae added:


Read more:


“There was a suggestion that there was a degree of planning (to the alleged offence).”

Matthew Savage, for Hudson, said he had no submissions to make at this stage.

Judge Mr Lower sent the case to Leeds Crown Court where Mr Hudson, of Hollin Terrace, Huddersfield, will appear on January 6 for a preliminary hearing. He was released on unconditional bail.

North Yorkshire Police said in a statement that Hudson was based in Harrogate at the time of the allegation and was currently suspended.